PDA

View Full Version : Kenny went after Doc Halladay?

SephClone89
02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

Good stuff.

VMSNS
02-22-2010, 06:51 PM
1. Halladay
2. Peavy
3. Buehrle
4. Danks
5. Floyd

Damn. That would have been epic.

SephClone89
02-22-2010, 06:52 PM
1. Halladay
2. Peavy
3. Buehrle
4. Danks
5. Floyd

Damn. That would have been epic.

I get the impression we would've had to lose Danks or Floyd.

DirtySox
02-22-2010, 07:03 PM
There were other reports over the winter about this mentioning the Sox. A few had noted that Doc wouldn't have waived his NTC to come here.

JermaineDye05
02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Kenny never said it was Halladay, just Garfein assuming. Kenny just said it would have given us one of the best rotations in the history of baseball. As I've always felt regarding Kenny, it's always the least expected move that happens. Taking that into account, I think Kenny was referring to this guy...

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tim-lincecum1.jpg

(Then again, KW did say the Sox were "close" to acquiring a big name guy which sounds more like it would have been Halladay, Lee, or Lackey considering each of them were out there. I can't see the Sox getting "close" to acquiring a pitcher of this caliber considering the Giants would more than likely hang up when they heard his name mentioned. Then again, they did trade Nathan and Liriano for AJ.)

Naturally it didn't happen because the Giants won't let this guy go, at least not for 10 years or so. However, my feelings are that before his career is over, Tim Lincecum will pitch in a White Sox uniform. However, he will more than likely be somewhere between 37-40 and topping out at around 88-89 mph.

DirtySox
02-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Kenny never said it was Halladay.

It was Doc. Garfien even said so on Chicago Tribune live.

Not a chance on Timmy.

JermaineDye05
02-22-2010, 07:08 PM
It was Doc. Garfien even said so on Chicago Tribune live.

Not a chance on Timmy.

Maybe not a chance on acquiring him, but I wouldn't say there's no chance of inquiring about him. Kenny always says something along that lines of "If they're good, we've asked about them."

DirtySox
02-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Maybe not a chance on acquiring him, but I wouldn't say there's no chance of inquiring about him. Kenny always says something along that lines of "If they're good, we've asked about them."

The article states that they were "close to acquiring" a big time player this offseason. They were definitely not close to acquiring Tim Lincecum.

Even if they have inquired about Tim, there is absolutely no chance San Francisco moves him. Wishful thinking.

Rockabilly
02-22-2010, 08:16 PM
My wish would be for the Sox to get Dan Haren.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm pretty sure KW was talking about getting Bartolo Colon back. :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty sure KW was talking about getting Bartolo Colon back. :rolleyes:
That would have easily been the biggest acquisition this off-season. Yeah, I'm including Jones in that calculation.

Lip Man 1
02-22-2010, 09:52 PM
I actually thought what was more significant was Garfien saying that Kenny told him today, he still had concerns about the lineup needing another left handed thumper and that if Dye was left handed he'd already have been re-signed and in camp.

I also agree with Dave Kaplin's comment afterwards that if you need another hitter you get him and it doesn't matter if he's left handed or right handed. What matters is if they can hit.

We'll see if Kenny still tries to make a deal or sign a Dye, Blaylock etc. before camp goes to much longer.

Lip

Brian26
02-22-2010, 10:00 PM
We'll see if Kenny still tries to make a deal or sign a Dye, Blaylock etc. before camp goes to much longer.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Dye back, but how would that happen with all of the intangibles surrounding the delicate situation and everything that's been said?

jabrch
02-22-2010, 10:12 PM
But I was told KW quit trying to improve the team...

Craig Grebeck
02-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Really? Where?

Rockabilly
02-22-2010, 11:23 PM
What I dont get. If we were close to getting Halladay and he makes about 12M or so a year.. Why didn't we use that money this off season.

Going to go out on the limb. John Danks will have a better season than Doc will

DumpJerry
02-22-2010, 11:37 PM
What I dont get. If we were close to getting Halladay and he makes about 12M or so a year.. Why didn't we use that money this off season.

Halladay was not a FA. We would have had to give up some serious personnel to get him. It's not a simple matter of how much money we had.

DeuceUnit
02-22-2010, 11:52 PM
It was Halladay and Floyd was part of the deal.

soltrain21
02-23-2010, 12:04 AM

Who has said that?

JohnTucker0814
02-23-2010, 12:54 AM

Danks will have a better season in the AL than Doc will have in the AL... I AGREE!

oeo
02-23-2010, 02:57 AM
This news shouldn't surprise anyone. Kenny is always trying to land big time players.

Highly unlikely unless Halladay gets hurt. Halladay will be amazing in the NL.

Gammons Peter
02-23-2010, 09:35 AM

That money doesnt exist. If Halladay was aquired, some combination of Paulie and/or Jenks would nt be here.

Hitmen77
02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
I too was wondering about how the money for this all adds up. The team supposedly has something like $4 million left to spend but Halladay will be making $15.75 million this year. It doesn't add up unless the team was able to shed about $10 million in additional salary.

Also, as others have already said, I'd expect Danks and Floyd to be part of the deal. Not that I wouldn't take Halladay over Danks or Floyd, but we also wouldn't end up with a rotation of our current top 4 plus Halladay.

russ99
02-23-2010, 10:27 AM
That money doesnt exist. If Halladay was aquired, some combination of Paulie and/or Jenks would nt be here.

Yep. And since we'd also have given up prospects like Danks, Flowers, Viciedo and/or Hudson to get Halliday, it probably is better this way.

jabrch
02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Who has said that?

I am not going to try and count the # of times people have said KW did a half assed job, didn't complete the job, didn't do enough, or any of those other similar statements that are tantamount to not trying. But really...are you telling me you don't believe there are people out here accusing KW of not doing enough? Seriously Sol?

dickallen15
02-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Good luck trading Konerko. They could have let Jenks walk, but its still a rather large number they would have been owing Halladay. There obviously is some money to burn should they wish to burn it.

jabrch
02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
I too was wondering about how the money for this all adds up. The team supposedly has something like $4 million left to spend but Halladay will be making $15.75 million this year. It doesn't add up unless the team was able to shed about $10 million in additional salary.

Also, as others have already said, I'd expect Danks and Floyd to be part of the deal. Not that I wouldn't take Halladay over Danks or Floyd, but we also wouldn't end up with a rotation of our current top 4 plus Halladay.

Williams has always said that Reinsdorf would authorize spending if KW made the case for it being a difference making move. Maybe Halladay qualifies and Damon - not so much.

pythons007
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I also agree with Dave Kaplin's comment afterwards that if you need another hitter you get him and it doesn't matter if he's left handed or right handed. What matters is if they can hit.Lip

You should never agree with Kaplin. He doesn't know nothing about nothing.

Nellie_Fox
02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
He doesn't know nothing about nothing.I'll get back to you when I get done untangling all the negatives in that sentence to be able to figure out what it means.

SI1020
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I'll get back to you when I get done untangling all the negatives in that sentence to be able to figure out what it means. The grammar and syntax may be butchered but I agree with the sentiment.

DirtySox
02-24-2010, 03:37 PM
More on this by Rosenthal. As one would expect, the White Sox weren't a team he was interested in going to.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-spring-training-buzz-021510

TheOldRoman
02-24-2010, 03:51 PM
More on this by Rosenthal. As one would expect, the White Sox weren't a team he was interested in going to.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-spring-training-buzz-021510 :rolleyes:
Bull. "Sources" indicated he wouldn't want to go to the Sox. These are the same sources who didn't inform Rosenthal that the Sox actually reached an agreement with the Jays. Monday was the first that insider Rosenthal had heard of it. Garfein said (or speculated) that it fell apart over the dollar value of the extension the Sox demanded.

SI1020
02-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Wasn't it initially reported that Peavy didn't want to play for the Sox?

TheOldRoman
02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Wasn't it initially reported that Peavy didn't want to play for the Sox?Yes, "as one would expect". He vetoed the trade in May because he said it was sudden and he wasn't ready to move at the time.

DirtySox
02-24-2010, 04:15 PM
:rolleyes:
Bull. "Sources" indicated he wouldn't want to go to the Sox. These are the same sources who didn't inform Rosenthal that the Sox actually reached an agreement with the Jays. Monday was the first that insider Rosenthal had heard of it. Garfein said (or speculated) that it fell apart over the dollar value of the extension the Sox demanded.

And? Just because a trade agreement has been reached between teams doesn't mean a player will waive his NTC. Remember Jake Peavy part one? A deal was in place but the trade wasn't finalized because Jake wouldn't sign off on it.

This isn't the first information coming out about the White Sox interest in Doc this winter either, previous reports also stated his list of approved teams did not include Chicago when their interest was rumored.