PDA

View Full Version : Unselfish Peavy does right by Buehrle...

voodoochile
02-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I am loving Peavy more and more and honestly so far I am ecstatic about the news from AZ in general, but this is just plain cool...

Apparently the reason Buehrle is the opening day starters is because Peavy told Cooper to make it happen so Buehrle could get the Sox record of 8 OD starts and because of Buehrle's service time on the south side.

Peavy did say he'd prefer to start the first game of the playoffs though...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/peavys-push-gives-buehrle-opening-day-nod.html

skobabe8
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
So why did it take JP to convince Coop and Ozzie of this? :scratch:

Rohan
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I am loving Peavy more and more and honestly so far I am ecstatic about the news from AZ in general, but this is just plain cool...

Apparently the reason Buehrle is the opening day starters is because Peavy told Cooper to make it happen so Buehrle could get the Sox record of 8 OD starts and because of Buehrle's service time on the south side.

Peavy did say he'd prefer to start the first game of the playoffs though...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/peavys-push-gives-buehrle-opening-day-nod.html

What a class act....

http://www.femmefan.com/site/images/featurepics/Playoffs.jpg
"Playoffs!?"

voodoochile
02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
So why did it take JP to convince Coop and Ozzie of this? :scratch:

Looks like MB was actually pushing for it to be Peavy, though it's an awkwardly worded sentence, so I'm not 100% sure of it.

When you've got a guy like Peavy, you want to be damned sure you don't do something to piss him off before the season even starts. Given the rampant egos in professional sports it only makes sense to cover your asses from an emotional impact perspective. Nice to see both these guys got their heads squarely on their shoulders and are all about team first...

hawkjt
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Just a pair of good ole boys...hardballers that could have played in any era...that is my impression of these two guys.

The mutual respect is obvious,and it makes for a great mix on our starting rotation...two leaders,two fast risers...and Big Game Freddy...gotta love it:D:

soxfanatlanta
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Classy move.

:gulp:

GoGoCrede
02-22-2010, 04:46 PM
As if I needed any more reasons to love these two. :bandance:

MARTINMVP
02-22-2010, 08:51 PM
It's hard not to love Peavy. He has said all the right things ever since he got here. I was previously in the mindset that after Buehrle's horrid second half last year, that he didn't deserve the opening day start.

Peavy will be fine either way. For the long-term psychology, I think it is better that the Sox give the nod to Buehrle, and give him the ultimate vote of confidence.

I can't wait for opening day nevertheless.

manders_01
02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Very cool. I already knew Burls was a class act and I'm glad I can add JP to that list.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-22-2010, 09:47 PM
They had a snippet on the 6PM ABC 7 news...paraphrasing -

"Mark's the ace, it's his staff.....he deserves that record. Alot of leaders on this team with Mark, Paul, AJ, I just want to be part of it."

John Danks - "We have 1 and 1A with Mark and Jake."

MARTINMVP
02-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Buehrle honored, but states having him start opening day is a mistake. An interesting followup.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100222&content_id=8112892&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Frontman
02-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Mark Buehrle: "It really should be Peavy."

Jake Peavy: "Let Mark get the record."

Mark: "No, it really should be Jake."

Freddie Garcia: "If you two can't agree, can I start?"

Mark/Jake/Gavin/John/Coop/Ozzie: "NO!!!!!"

I was already warming up to Peavy; but this cinches it for me: He's too nice. :)

thomas35forever
02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
What did we do to follow a team with such class acts?

gobears1987
02-23-2010, 12:07 AM

You got rid of me :jaime

SluggersAway
02-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Buehrle makes the most sense since it puts the right-hander Peavy in between the lefties Buehrle and Danks.

All things being equal though, Peavy starts.

g0g0
02-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Very cool. I already knew Burls was a class act and I'm glad I can add JP to that list.

+1 I hope the feel-good attitude can continue throughout the season. Just sounds like a good chemistry on the team.

I was already warming up to Peavy; but this cinches it for me: He's too nice. :)

:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

y2j2785
02-23-2010, 09:30 AM

:rolling::thumbsup::rolling::thumbsup:

MisterB
02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Sounds like our rotation is now headed up by Alphonse and Gaston... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_and_Gaston)

WhiteSoxFTW
02-23-2010, 11:48 AM
I think it was a really unselfish move by Peavy. Kudos to him.

Frontman
02-23-2010, 11:52 AM

We don't worry about ambiance and "tradition" of crumbling bricks. We don't make superstars out of the names on the back of the jersey; we root for the name on the front.

With giving the team that message; we get players who care more about the name on the front themselves, versus the amount of stats that would go along with the name on the back. And in turn; we see a team versus two star players surrounded by mediocre talent.

I love this style of baseball more than the superstar. I find it amazing; that the 2005 club, Frank excluded; didn't have a player that is a sure fire lock for the Hall of Fame go win it all.

It's what baseball, and really, what all sports; are supposed to be about.