PDA

View Full Version : A couple of tidbits about the Sox-Nationals series.

asindc
02-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I just received an email from a Nats season ticket holder friend of mine. She says the June 18th and 19th games are premium games, and the 19th game will feature "Baseball 101" for women and a Ryan Zimmerman bobblehead give away. She shudders at the idea that "Baseball 101" is for women only.

Chez
02-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Sox play in Pittsburgh on 6/15-7 and then D.C. on 6/18-20. I think it's only a four hour drive from Pittsburgh to D.C. Hmmm . . .

DSpivack
02-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Sox play in Pittsburgh on 6/15-7 and then D.C. on 6/18-20. I think it's only a four hour drive from Pittsburgh to D.C. Hmmm . . .

A pretty drive, too, and especially so if you have the time to get off I-70/I-270. Lots of rolling green hills and some mountains in western Maryland and southeastern Pennsylvania.

kruzer31
02-22-2010, 05:33 PM

PNC Park is awesome

asindc
02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
My brother and I are thinking about meeting in Pittsburgh (he lives in Chicago) for that Thursday game, and then coming back here for the weekend series.

BRDSR
02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I just received an email from a Nats season ticket holder friend of mine. She says the June 18th and 19th games are premium games, and the 19th game will feature "Baseball 101" for women and a Ryan Zimmerman bobblehead give away. She shudders at the idea that "Baseball 101" is for women only.

Also live in the D.C.-area, and am very much looking forward to attending at least two of these games. Probably will not get over to Pittsburgh for that series.

I also find it odd that the Nats are doing a promotion based on the politically incorrect assumption that women know less than men about baseball...I will refrain from making the obvious political-correctness-related comment on the city's football team. :cool:

MARTINMVP
02-22-2010, 06:31 PM
A pretty drive, too, and especially so if you have the time to get off I-70/I-270. Lots of rolling green hills and some mountains in western Maryland and southeastern Pennsylvania.

I second that. A few of my college buds and I took a drive to D.C. a few years back during the fall. A couple of midwest guys not well traveled, driving through the hills and mountains on the Penn. Turnpike. Awesome ride.

CHISOXFAN13
02-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I pulled the Pittsburgh to DC trip last year as part of a three city baseball trip. It's a very easy drive. Considering doing it again to see the beloved.

Harry Potter
02-22-2010, 10:38 PM

Planning on seeing the Sox play in Pittsburgh 6/15 and 6/16, then off to Philly for two days (including seeing the Phillies vs. Twins on 6/18), then on to D.C. for Sox vs. Nats on 6/19.

Looking forward to seeing 3 new ballparks this summer :cool:

DSpivack
02-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Planning on seeing the Sox play in Pittsburgh 6/15 and 6/16, then off to Philly for two days (including seeing the Phillies vs. Twins on 6/18), then on to D.C. for Sox vs. Nats on 6/19.

I kick myself for not making the short drive up to Philly one day to see their new park when I lived in DC.

Frater Perdurabo
02-23-2010, 07:24 AM
3@ PIT and 3@ WAS should = 6 game winning streak.

Maybe the Sox can pick up a souvenir in DC, say, Adam Dunn?

Marqhead
02-23-2010, 08:21 AM
I kick myself for not making the short drive up to Philly one day to see their new park when I lived in DC.

I kick myself every day for not going to Pittsburgh, Philly, DC, Baltimore or New York. I within 3 hours of each park but I don't know any baseball fans out here and I'm not a big fan of driving that far to see games by myself.

Trouble is I'll probably be out of here before any of my friends get the chance to visit for a big baseball roadtrip.

The Pittsburgh/DC trip is an excellent idea for someone who want to see two new parks while the Sox are playing.

Harry Potter
02-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Sounds like a bunch of you have already seen PNC Park. Any recommendations on places to check out while I'm there (including places to enjoy a nice adult beverage)? Thanks!

ewokpelts
02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I just received an email from a Nats season ticket holder friend of mine. She says the June 18th and 19th games are premium games, and the 19th game will feature "Baseball 101" for women and a Ryan Zimmerman bobblehead give away. She shudders at the idea that "Baseball 101" is for women only.shouldnt the nat's front office go to baseball 101 as well? hell, give the mets coaching staff this course too!

ewokpelts
02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
3@ PIT and 3@ WAS should = 6 game winning streak.

Maybe the Sox can pick up a souvenir in DC, say, Adam Dunn?just say NO to dumm dunn

hi im skot
02-23-2010, 10:22 AM
just say NO to dumm dunn

Ouch.

soxgirl617
02-23-2010, 04:54 PM
We're planning a trip to D.C. for the June 18 and 19 games. Unfortunately, we won't be able to include a stop in Pittsburgh (stupid work commitments!), but we were there three years ago. I second (or third, or whatever) the love for PNC Park. It's simply awesome---my favorite of the (admittedly few) major league parks I've visited. Pittsburgh was great overall, too.....lots to do. Among other things, we went to a great tapas restaurant. I'll see if I can find the name and contact details for it.

I am trying VERY hard to refrain from commenting on the "Baseball 101 for Women" angle. What complete idiots---WHO would think it was a good idea to target only "women" for Baseball 101??!

asindc
02-23-2010, 07:02 PM
shouldnt the nat's front office go to baseball 101 as well? hell, give the mets coaching staff this course too!

In their defense, there are signs that Nats' management has improved since Bowden was shown the door.

asindc
02-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Not to make you feel worse about it, but it is a convenient trip. Less than two hours from DC since the park is on the south end of the city directly off of 95.

ewokpelts
02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
In their defense, there are signs that Nats' management has improved since Bowden was shown the door.fun fact: the nat's gm is the guy who scouted frank for the sox.

bigdommer
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Define irony: I live in Baltimore, and I look forward every year to the Sox coming to town, and I was super excited that they were making the extra trip to DC. Well, wouldn't you know it, I have two weddings this summer, both in Chicago, and both on the weekends that the Sox are in town.

Looks like I will be headed to NYC in late April!!!

ewokpelts
02-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Define irony: I live in Baltimore, and I look forward every year to the Sox coming to town, and I was super excited that they were making the extra trip to DC. Well, wouldn't you know it, I have two weddings this summer, both in Chicago, and both on the weekends that the Sox are in town.

Looks like I will be headed to NYC in late April!!!that sucks beyond suck.

Cangelosi CF
02-25-2010, 09:55 AM
I was looking forward to attending but I'll be in Cape Town for the World Cup. Visited the ballpark last year. It is really stunning how much that neighborhood (Navy Yard) has turned for the better.

asindc
02-25-2010, 10:02 AM
I was looking forward to attending but I'll be in Cape Town for the World Cup. Visited the ballpark last year. It is really stunning how much that neighborhood (Navy Yard) has turned for the better.

I might be in Cape Town the following week. If Team USA finishes second in its group and wins its first knockout stage game, they would play their Quarterfinal game in Cape Town on July 3.

BRDSR
02-25-2010, 03:26 PM

The neighborhood is much improved, especially on game days, but head down there on a weekend without a game and it feels a little like a ghost town. There's some government offices in the area, but a lot of the space that was intended for private business and residences is still empty...they got a lot of it up right when the recession was hitting.

The Nats have been a pretty good part of my 3-year experience in DC though. Even though they're terrible, tickets are always available, they're pretty cheap, and I've been able to see some NL teams I didn't get to see when I was going to Sox games.

IlliniSox05
02-26-2010, 12:02 PM

I'm doing nearly that identical schedule. I'm seeing Sox/Pirates on 6/17, Twins/Phils on 6/18 (my fiancee is a Twins fan), and Sox/Nats on 6/19.

I already bought my tickets for the game in Philadelphia, but I know I don't need to worry about ticket availability in Pittsburgh. What about DC with it being a premium game & all?

I'm pumped. Three new ballparks to cross of my list!

asindc
02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm doing nearly that identical schedule. I'm seeing Sox/Pirates on 6/17, Twins/Phils on 6/18 (my fiancee is a Twins fan), and Sox/Nats on 6/19.

I already bought my tickets for the game in Philadelphia, but I know I don't need to worry about ticket availability in Pittsburgh. What about DC with it being a premium game & all?

I'm pumped. Three new ballparks to cross of my list!

The Nats' season ticket base, as you might imagine, is very low. I think it is under 10,000. While there are a lot of Chicagoans in the DC area and it seems that Sox fans travel much better to East Coast venues than in the past, I don't expect any of the games to be a sellout. I think the 18th and 19th are premium games because the Sox are a major market team that is expected to contend this year. I also think the fact that the Sox have not played in Washington since the 60s might have been a small factor in the decision.

ewokpelts
02-26-2010, 02:18 PM
isnt it also father's day weekend?

ChiTownTrojan
02-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Not to make you feel worse about it, but it is a convenient trip. Less than two hours from DC since the park is on the south end of the city directly off of 95.

You must drive really fast. It's more like a 4 hours trip for me.

asindc
02-26-2010, 08:41 PM
You must drive really fast. It's more like a 4 hours trip for me.

From DC to Philly?

SephClone89
02-26-2010, 09:19 PM
(my fiancee is a Twins fan)

:o:

djcollie03
02-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Very excited to be booked for Thursday in Pittsburgh and Friday night in DC. I've been reading up on DC and it doesn't sound like there is much around the stadium - any suggestions for pre and post game festivities?

bigdommer
02-27-2010, 10:21 AM
From DC to Philly?

It depends where you are in DC. Downtown Baltimore to Philly's stadium complex is 90 miles, or 1.5 hours. Parts of DC are 45 minutes from Baltimore, others 1 hr 15 minutes with some traffic. Northern Virginia can be an hour and a half. A safe bet from DC to Philly is 3 hours. You can add or subtract a half hour depending on your location in DC and the time of day you are traveling.

Any way you slice it, it's an easy drive up 95 straight to the stadium.