PDA

View Full Version : Jenks gives up alcohol, talks about changes in his life

GoGoCrede
02-22-2010, 02:26 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100222&content_id=8112452&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Really interesting stuff. He says alcohol was becoming a problem for him, affecting his personal life. He hasn't taken a drink in 4 months. Linebrink has helped by offering advice. He showed up to camp 25 pounds lighter.

He seems very relieved and happy to have made this decision. Hats off to him.

voodoochile
02-22-2010, 02:28 PM
SWEET! You go Bad Bobby...

DirtySox
02-22-2010, 02:30 PM
There was a less in depth article about this around SoxFest time. This one is much better. As someone who has gone through addiction problems, it's good to see him attempt to better himself.

spawn
02-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Good for Bobby. My best friend recently quit as well, but he actually had to get professional help to do so. He said he was ashamed at first to admit he had a problem, but he's glad he did it, and has been sober for 4 months as well.

Domeshot17
02-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Jenks looked TREMENDOUS at Soxfest. He lost 25, but it looked like he might have lost 30-40 in fat.

DonnieDarko
02-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Getting drunk every night? Yeah, dude had a problem. And believe me, it does have an adverse affect on not just you, but your family. I'm glad for him that he's quit.

Rohan
02-22-2010, 02:41 PM
This is a fantastic story. I'm very happy for Jenks. And major props to Scott Merkin. What a great writer.

ewokpelts
02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
so the rumors were true.

BigKlu59
02-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Way to go Bobby.... Some sods dont have their come to Jesus epiphany till much further down the road... Fine line we all walk with ole Uncle Al Key Hall..
Great news... I wish him the best. I pray he has a solid support group.

BigKlu59

asindc
02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Great to hear for him and his family.

SephClone89
02-22-2010, 03:08 PM
While it obviously doesn't compare, I quit pop cold turkey on January 1st, '08, and haven't had a drop since. I was definitely addicted, having had at least 1 can a day since around third or fourth grade and getting up to 3-4 a day throughout junior high and high school. I originally wanted to just quit for a few months to get my voice in shape for the musical I was auditioning for, but decided to make it permanent. I've found that I really don't miss it, unless it's a perfect summer day. Then it's tempting...but I absolutely love water.

gobears1987
02-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Hats off to Bobby. I'm really glad the Sox didn't trade him as I think he will be one of the most dominant closers in baseball this year since he's gotten himself into shape. I also guess we should thank Linebrink for helping him. Linebrink hasn't been a great pitcher, but if he's helping Bobby, then I guess we're at least getting something out of that huge deal he has.

GoGoCrede
02-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I really gotta tip my hat to Linebrink as well, who offered advice and showed Bobby how his lifestyle could be different. It's nice to know the players have each other's backs.

oeo
02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
I really gotta tip my hat to Linebrink as well, who offered advice and showed Bobby how his lifestyle could be different. It's nice to know the players have each other's backs.

Let's just hope he didn't give him any pitching advice.

In all seriousness, good for Bobby. We need a big year from him, I hope he proves me and the other doubters wrong.

asindc
02-22-2010, 03:34 PM

In all seriousness, good for Bobby. We need a big year from him, I hope he proves me and the other doubters wrong.

I have less doubt now upon hearing this news. As I stated earlier, I am happiest for him and his family. From a Sox fan perspective, however, I have always thought the only thing holding Jenks back was his conditioning. I now feel more confident that he will get his control and curveball back. If it all falls in place, this would be like getting an upgrade at closer without having to trade or spend money on a FA.

Corlose 15
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM

Linebrink was also quoted as saying, not in this article, that his shoulder actually feels a lot stronger going into this ST than last year. Who knows, maybe he can actually pitch well for more than a couple months.

GoGoCrede
02-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Linebrink was also quoted as saying, not in this article, that his shoulder actually feels a lot stronger going into this ST than last year. Who knows, maybe he can actually pitch well for more than a couple months.

:praying: This article makes me hopeful for both Jenks and Linebrink.

thomas35forever
02-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Good for Bobby. Could be beneficial to his career as well as his personal life. Nice to know he's lost weight too. I bet this decision is related to that.

oeo
02-22-2010, 03:42 PM

Linebrink was lucky early on last year. He really hasn't been the same since he went on the DL in the middle of 2008. So let's hope his shoulder is better.

Frontman
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Good for Bobby. Addiction is a very tough road to walk; and when you can get yourself off of it PRIOR to losing everything, more power to you.

Carolina Kenny
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
1. Good for you Bobby. Keep up the great attitude and stay sober.
2. Congratulations on some fine writing by Merkin.
3. Linebreck-I have no comment on you that is appropriate here.

NoNeckEra
02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Makes you wonder how many other athletes or people in the public eye have similar problems we still don't know about.

Boondock Saint
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Congratulations to Bobby, and thanks to Linebrink for helping him out. Linebrink gets a ton of **** on here for his pitching, but he is one of the best people in the game.

GoGoCrede
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
1. Good for you Bobby. Keep up the great attitude and stay sober.
2. Congratulations on some fine writing by Merkin.
3. Linebreck-I have no comment on you that is appropriate here.

I'm not sure I understand this...what did he do? :?:

MetroPD
02-22-2010, 05:04 PM
maybe they had a few drinks together?

doublem23
02-22-2010, 05:11 PM

Be a ****ty RP.

hawkjt
02-22-2010, 05:35 PM
If Bobby is happy...I am happy.

Now,that said, I am not going to assume that his arm will be stronger,or he will be more dominant....sometimes losing weight could cause a velocity drop,couldn't it?

Bottom line, a healthier Bobby, mentally and physically is a good thing for him and the sox....way to go Big Bad Bobby!!

soxfanatlanta
02-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Good to hear that he's making an effort to stay sober. I hope his lifestyle changes help his performance on the hump, too.

RedPinStripes
02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Hats off to Bobby. Defiantly not an easy thing to do. Especially as a baseball player with road trips and all.

Corlose 15
02-22-2010, 06:22 PM
If Bobby is happy...I am happy.

Now,that said, I am not going to assume that his arm will be stronger,or he will be more dominant....sometimes losing weight could cause a velocity drop,couldn't it?

Bottom line, a healthier Bobby, mentally and physically is a good thing for him and the sox....way to go Big Bad Bobby!!

Your bones aren't moved by fat.

whitem0nkey
02-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Good for him.

Being off booze makes me feel better from an injury recovery angle.

Sometimes when you drink you get drunk. When you get drunk you will not feel the pain in an injured area. You will end up moving and using it as if it was not hurt and could re-injure it or prolong the healing process.

For a sober player this is a non-factor.

Noneck
02-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Hope he sticks with it. What he did so far is the easy part. Now the lifestyle of a ball player begins. It is going to be a tough road ahead.

GoGoCrede
02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Hope he sticks with it. What he did so far is the easy part. Now the lifestyle of a ball player begins. It is going to be a tough road ahead.

My thoughts exactly. He's going to be tested over and over again this season. I hope he is strong enough to see it through.

SoxandtheCityTee
02-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Terrific news. One day at a time, Bobby. Congrats.

russ99
02-22-2010, 08:51 PM
You guys love to give Linebrink a hard time, but he's a class guy.

This isn't the first time he's helped out a teammate. He also played a part to get Peavy to come here, and his selfless charity work especially for veterans groups is exemplary.

Here's hoping he puts together a nice season, both halves.

hi im skot
02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
You guys love to give Linebrink a hard time, but he's a class guy.

This isn't the first time he's helped out a teammate. He also played a part to get Peavy to come here, and his selfless charity work especially for veterans groups is exemplary.

Here's hoping he puts together a nice season, both halves.

I love that Linebrink is a good guy. I've heard some stories about him that haven't really been made public, and it's obvious he's a legitimately good citizen. However, you don't win games be being a nice human being.

soltrain21
02-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Wasn't alcohol one of the reasons the Sox got him in the first place? I believe that's why the Angels gave up on him.

Good for him.

Marqhead
02-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Wasn't alcohol one of the reasons the Sox got him in the first place? I believe that's why the Angels gave up on him.

Good for him.

Yeah he was repeatedly drinking on the team bus for their AA ballclub I believe. Good for him, let's hope he sticks with it and it helps his lifestyle and his game.

RowanDye
02-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Yeah he was repeatedly drinking on the team bus for their AA ballclub I believe. Good for him, let's hope he sticks with it and it helps his lifestyle and his game.

They had enough in the group to field a whole team? :redneck

soxjim
02-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Way To go Bobby. I know what it is like giving up something that controlls ones life.

Sam Spade
02-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Way to go Bobby.... Some sods dont have their come to Jesus epiphany till much further down the road... Fine line we all walk with ole Uncle Al Key Hall..
Great news... I wish him the best. I pray he has a solid support group.

BigKlu59
Jesus epiphany?? I must have missed that part. I thought he just quit drinking. Honestly I am not sure why the mods didn't delete this post. Its ridiculous.

Thome_Fan
02-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Jesus epiphany?? I must have missed that part. I thought he just quit drinking. Honestly I am not sure why the mods didn't delete this post. Its ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure it was just a figure of speech. A little off color, yeah, but I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it.

GoGoCrede
02-23-2010, 01:08 AM

Actually, I also read somewhere that he found Jesus (I forgot where I read it, but I remember seeing it).

Sam Spade
02-23-2010, 04:40 AM
I'm pretty sure it was just a figure of speech. A little off color, yeah, but I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it.
Maybe you are right. I've never heard that figure of speech before.
Actually, I also read somewhere that he found Jesus (I forgot where I read it, but I remember seeing it).
I guess I just felt like that poster was expressing his view that finding jesus is 'a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something'. Maybe he wasn't. Whatever. Feel free to delete/move my posts.

doublem23
02-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Well, as others have noted, this isn't the first time Bobby's told his boys Jack, Jim, and Jose to take a hike, but I certainly hope this time it sticks.

If he finds his old stuff, Putz can come back to the pitcher he once was, and Thornton is still Thornton, wow that is a lights out pitching staff.

harwar
02-23-2010, 10:37 AM
drinking can be a way of life .. it was mine for years .. this is way more than just breaking a habit .. it's a life-style change that takes a tremendous amount of intestinal fortitude .. one reason that i spent so much of my life at sea is that on American ships alcohol was forbidden .. yea, it's gonna be tough .. in the clubhouse after the game .. on the road .. at the hotel .. on the plane .. the boredom .. the frustration .. the stress .. good luck Bobby .. hang in there