PDA

View Full Version : Dressing down

fisk4ever
02-21-2010, 06:01 PM
PalehosePlanet commented in another thread, "I've always noticed when watching pre-mid 80's baseball stadium clips is the absence of fans wearing team attire (hats, t-shirts, jerseys, etc...)".

I've wondered when fans began dressing casually for games. In clips from games in the '40's and 50's, a lot of fans are wearing dressy clothes and hats. Did it change in the '60's?

GoGoCrede
02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Those days were way before my time, but perhaps it has something to do with team attire becoming more affordable and more heavily marketed? And as that slowly progressed, people began to wear more casual attire to go with the team wear?

I think my generation in general has become a lot more casual - for example, it was probably common for people to dress up for the movies. Now, jeans and a T-shirt are the usual attire. Hell, people even show up in jeans for job interviews!

LongLiveFisk
02-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Those days were way before my time, but perhaps it has something to do with team attire becoming more affordable and more heavily marketed? And as that slowly progressed, people began to wear more casual attire to go with the team wear?

I think my generation in general has become a lot more casual - for example, it was probably common for people to dress up for the movies. Now, jeans and a T-shirt are the usual attire. Hell, people even show up in jeans for job interviews!

I do think it's a generational thing. I get the impression that going to a ballgame in the 50s and earlier was more of an "event" and it was proper to dress accordingly. Now it's just seen as a game, not anything fancy.

cbotnyse
02-21-2010, 08:13 PM
White Sox should have a "dress like the 1920s" night. suits and fedoras required.

DumpJerry
02-21-2010, 08:46 PM
We dressed in tee shirts and blue jeans in the 70's and 80's. It's just that jerseys were not widely sold back then like they are now.

LITTLE NELL
02-21-2010, 08:49 PM
I would say that fans started to wear their teams hats and jerseys in the late 70s and early 80s. I think it was due to marketing by the 4 major sports leagues. I remembered growing up that only kids wore a Sox or Cub hat, it was very rare to see an adult at the ballpark wearing a baseball cap. In my teenage years if you wore a cap you were like a nerd or geek. The only time I wore a cap as a teenager was in 62 and 63 when I was a vendor at Comiskey and Wrigley and I never wore it home from the park on the el and bus, put in my little duffle bag along with my coin changer( When was the last time you saw one of those).

Brian26
02-21-2010, 08:52 PM
We dressed in tee shirts and blue jeans in the 70's and 80's. It's just that jerseys were not widely sold back then like they are now.

I think the turn happened sometime in the late 60s. When MLB Network or ESPN Classic shows old World Series or All-Star Game videos, you can see the change in dress around this time period. The crowds were still wearing formal attire to games in the early to mid 60s.

MARTINMVP
02-21-2010, 09:07 PM
White Sox should have a "dress like the 1920s" night. suits and fedoras required.

I would absolutely love that... more so on a cool spring or fall day!

gregoriop
02-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I'd imagine it has a little to do with people dressing more casually in general. I don't wear a suit or tie to work.

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2010, 12:01 AM
In the fifties and early sixties, it was common for men to wear a suit, tie and fedora whenever they went "out." I can't put a finger on when it faded away, but dress hats started going out in the mid-sixties.

I wore a Sox hat to games in the early seventies, but never wore it otherwise. As was said before, for a high-school kid to wear a hat at all in the sixties was the height of nerdness.

Taliesinrk
02-22-2010, 12:06 AM
In the fifties and early sixties, it was common for men to wear a suit, tie and fedora whenever they went "out." I can't put a finger on when it faded away, but dress hats started going out in the mid-sixties.

I wore a Sox hat to games in the early seventies, but never wore it otherwise. As was said before, for a high-school kid to wear a hat at all in the sixties was the height of nerdness.

I think this is much more the reason rather than it having something to do with team apparel, etc.

voodoochile
02-22-2010, 12:08 AM

Women used to put on dresses and heels to go grocery shopping. People dressed up to go to the movies.

Just one of the things that changed. Dress codes have become increasingly casual with most work places even adopting more casual dress codes.

NardiWasHere
02-22-2010, 12:16 AM

I may be just a misinformed 23 year old but this is what I've always heard and think its sort of a cool trivia fact....

Dress hats started to go out of style when JFK got elected. He never wore a hat and people followed his lead.

I think I'm going to watch an episode of Mad Men now.

Paulwny
02-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Yep, I never wore anything on my head, no matter the weather, you couldn't ruin the "DA".

roylestillman
02-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Compared to what we wore in 1977, I think we've started dressing up again.

VivaOzzie
02-22-2010, 12:35 PM

I think this would be very cool to do, especially if it were on, say, a Sunday day game where both teams were also wearing throwback jerseys.

Roof Shot
02-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I think this would be very cool to do, especially if it were on, say, a Sunday day game where both teams were also wearing throwback jerseys.

Love it!

GoGoCrede
02-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Love it!

I do too, but I wonder how the turnout would be? People are too lazy to dress up. I mean, for Elvis Night it's easy - throw on a wig and there you go. But these costumes would take time and effort (unless, of course, you still have clothes from back then in your closet).

soxinem1
02-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Roaring 20's Night would be awesome! Send it on to Brooks Boyer!!!!

Some sharped dressed women and men would grace the landscape. With the fidora's, us guys would like look like mobsters, and we'd be at The Cell...... Sounds like a match.

I could see me looking like this, as I already have the suits and hats:

http://www.costumes.org/history/20thcent/1920s/men/20smenssuits.gif

I'd just as soon forget the 70's though. I'll always love the music, but I have no desire to dress like this again:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/4700000/Bobby-Brady-the-brady-bunch-4785928-199-240.jpg

cbotnyse
02-22-2010, 01:32 PM
How awesome would it be to get the entire crowd to look like this. http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?75607-Vintage-Panoramic-Pictures&p=1503663#post1503663

SephClone89
02-22-2010, 02:04 PM
It'd have to be April or September/October, because that **** will be HOT.

soxinem1
02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
How awesome would it be to get the entire crowd to look like this. http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?75607-Vintage-Panoramic-Pictures&p=1503663#post1503663

I love the 'Moncrief Furnace' jersey mixed in with the others. I assume he is one of the amateurs....

I wonder if 'Chico's Bail Bonds' played in this game too??

MARTINMVP
02-22-2010, 03:42 PM
I do too, but I wonder how the turnout would be? People are too lazy to dress up. I mean, for Elvis Night it's easy - throw on a wig and there you go. But these costumes would take time and effort (unless, of course, you still have clothes from back then in your closet).

People may be too lazy to dress nice these days (jackets, tying a tie, etc.), but I don't think such a dress up day at the ballpark would have to require 1920s or 50s style dress clothes. I think it would be cool to have people wear modern day jackets with their shirts, ties and slacks.

cbotnyse
02-22-2010, 03:49 PM
People may be too lazy to dress nice these days (jackets, tying a tie, etc.), but I don't think such a dress up day at the ballpark would have to require 1920s or 50s style dress clothes. I think it would be cool to have people wear modern day jackets with their shirts, ties and slacks.fedoras are a must too. someone email brooks!

NoNeckEra
02-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Just guessing, but I doubt anyone was worried about getting beer spilled all over them in those days, or being prepared to be in a fist fight.

This all changed (casual) when airline travel was formal too 'til around 1970.

Also, we're all spending a significant amount of $ on things like sports apparel, tickets, etc, etc, now compared to back in the day.

LongLiveFisk
02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
It'd have to be April or September/October, because that **** will be HOT.

You beat me to it. I was just going to say you want to avoid the really hot summer days with something like this. :o: :D:

WhiteSoxFTW
02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I do think it's a generational thing. I get the impression that going to a ballgame in the 50s and earlier was more of an "event" and it was proper to dress accordingly. Now it's just seen as a game, not anything fancy.
It's similar to how people used to dress up when they went on a plane. Now I see a lot of sweatpants and pajamas on airplanes.

GoGoCrede
02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
It's similar to how people used to dress up when they went on a plane. Now I see a lot of sweatpants and pajamas on airplanes.

This is one trend I am very grateful has caught on. I always like to be extra comfortable on planes.

all*star quentin
02-24-2010, 06:15 PM

I like this look, are those bowler hats and is that a white handkerchief the others have on?
Also, there's always those guys in a crowd who look back to the camera:redneck

Nellie_Fox
02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
I like this look ... is that a white handkerchief the others have on?
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00043/IN5537305Monty-Pytho_43923d.jpg

BeefyD
02-27-2010, 09:27 PM
First off, thank you CBOTNYSE for that awesome link!! I just spent a good hour looking through that thread of sweet photos....

Secondly, I always had this thought going through my head... I've heard a thousand times that "ticket prices have gotten so high that I can't take my kids to the game". However, in a lot of these old photos, I see 95% adults, with a few kids scattered around, if any.

I'm 38, and personally I think I see more kids at baseball games now than when I was lonely out in left field during the late 70's/early 80's.

Nellie_Fox
02-28-2010, 12:27 AM
I've heard a thousand times that "ticket prices have gotten so high that I can't take my kids to the game". However, in a lot of
Back then, adults didn't think they had a responsibility to provide entertainment for children, nor did they want to "pal around" with their kids. There were things adults did, and things kids did, and there was very little intersection.

DonnieDarko
02-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Back then, adults didn't think they had a responsibility to provide entertainment for children, nor did they want to "pal around" with their kids. There were things adults did, and things kids did, and there was very little intersection.

That sounds horrible, not taking your son to enjoy a baseball game. :|

Nellie_Fox
02-28-2010, 01:04 AM
That sounds horrible, not taking your son to enjoy a baseball game. :|I wasn't saying it was right, just describing what was.

BeefyD
03-02-2010, 09:28 PM
I gotta thank you for the honest answer. I didn't think about it then, but it makes sense of the era.

Tannerfan
03-03-2010, 04:35 PM
As far as fans wearing team gear, I really think it is due to Hip Hop culture.
In the 70's and early 80's we never wore hats or jerseys to games. Then rap artists start wearing baseball hats, then jerseys and boom, things took off.

Nellie_Fox
03-04-2010, 12:32 AM
As far as fans wearing team gear, I really think it is due to Hip Hop culture.
In the 70's and early 80's we never wore hats or jerseys to games. Then rap artists start wearing baseball hats, then jerseys and boom, things took off.No, lots of people wore hats in the 70's and 80's. I always did. Jerseys were rarer, but I suspect that was as much due to the cost and availability as anything. I did have a Sox dugout jacket that I wore in the 80's.

It wasn't hip-hop.