PDA

View Full Version : Who should we go after next?

Rockabilly
02-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't like the fact that we have a huge hole in our lineup. I believe that KW will be searching for a new player in the near future.

Any realistic ideas of who might be available through a trade or which free agent should we go after?

Corlose 15
02-20-2010, 06:06 PM
They're going to go with what they have and address it either in ST via a trade or sometime in May-July.

JermaineDye05
02-20-2010, 06:08 PM
If we go after someone, I hope it's not made public like this last rumor.

Rockabilly
02-20-2010, 06:13 PM
If we go after someone, I hope it's not made public like this last rumor.

totally agree with you.

oeo
02-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Carlos Pena, as long as the Rays fall out of the division race.

JermaineDye05
02-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Carlos Pena, as long as the Rays fall out of the division race.

Something tells me that Pena is due for a really bad season.

Rockabilly
02-20-2010, 06:35 PM
How about a trade with the Jays for Overbay and Downs? It can solved our DH spot as well as another lefty in the pen.

Plus cash coming back to us

DirtySox
02-20-2010, 06:38 PM
We should go after anyone that doesn't cost us Hudson, Flowers, or Mitchell.

*Awaits White Sox prospects usually suck, so we should trade them all comment*

JermaineDye05
02-20-2010, 06:40 PM

White Sox prospects suck, so we should trade them all for Prince Fielder, A-Gone, or Adam Dunn.

Corlose 15
02-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Maybe we should trade those 3 before everyone realizes they suck.:tongue:

Rdy2PlayBall
02-20-2010, 06:51 PM
What hole? We have a hole? I need to know what hole before I can pick.

Frater Perdurabo
02-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Carl Crawford!

HBaines03
02-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I was getting tired of station to station baseball or home run or die scoring. I also believe that stats only tell part of the story for baseball players and how teams win or lose. I agree with what was said earlier that this team looks better than the 2005 offense and we were very successful that year. It is about being opportunistic when the chances are there and IMO that comes with a team that can do more than hit HR's. This offense may not have star quality but I think it will work well and if not than I'm wrong, thus the reason I'm not a GM. I'll trust the capabilities of the manager and the GM who have and are doing this for a living. I am a White Sox fan thru and thru and I will cheer them on regardless of the record. GO ChiSox!!!

oeo
02-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Something tells me that Pena is due for a really bad season.

What is 'something'?

russ99
02-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Carl Crawford!

Now we're talking... :D:

Mitchell can't be traded anyway, like Beckham last year.

I'd think Flowers might be moved, as we have other good catching prospects in the system, A.J. looks to have a few good years left in him and Viciedo arguably has better tools to take over 1B/DH.

Hudson should be untouchable.

DSpivack
02-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Now we're talking... :D:

Mitchell can't be traded anyway, like Beckham last year.

I'd think Flowers might be moved, as we have other good catching prospects in the system, A.J. looks to have a few good years left in him and Viciedo arguably has better tools to take over 1B/DH.

Mitchell can be traded after the draft (which is June 7-9).

DirtySox
02-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Mitchell can be traded after the draft (which is June 7-9).

Yep, and can be in a trade beforehand as a PTBNL.

Noneck
02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Teams don't usually fall out of a divisional race till at least July. Plus the Sox don't have much in the minors of value.

Opportunities were out there this off season for a more established DH that would not have broken the bank.

This is the team the Sox chose to put on the field this year by their choice. I hope it was the correct choice.

mzh
02-20-2010, 08:18 PM
What other catchers do we have in our system that look good?

JermaineDye05
02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
What is 'something'?

A gut feeling.

Plus his average and OBP have been dropping the past couple of season.

Pablo_Honey
02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
What other catchers do we have in our system that look good?
Phegley's supposed to be like Flowers but in the short playing time down in the minors, his bat has looked less than impressive. There's another catcher, Miguel Gonzalez I think, forgot his name but his bat is reported to be pretty solid.

mzh
02-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Phegley's supposed to be like Flowers but in the short playing time down in the minors, his bat has looked less than impressive. There's another catcher, Miguel Gonzalez I think, forgot his name but his bat is reported to be pretty solid.
I would still be very hesistant to trade Flowers, he's the only thing we have that's proven in the minors, and he appears to be almost major league ready, and looking at free agent catchers 2011 I think we need to stick with Flowers unless we have another clear, proven backup plan.

oeo
02-20-2010, 08:30 PM
A gut feeling.

Plus his average and OBP have been dropping the past couple of season.

He had a career year in 2007, I don't think anyone would ever expect that type of year from him again. His OBP dropped because his average dropped last year and he wasn't completely healthy, but he did slug quite a bit better.

DirtySox
02-20-2010, 08:39 PM

Indeed. There are some questions about Phegley's ability to hit with wood, and there are quite a few questions about his defense. Miguel is a much more well rounded player, but he's just as far away as Phegley.

thomas35forever
02-20-2010, 09:20 PM
They're going to go with what they have and address it either in ST via a trade or sometime in May-July.
Agreed. I'm not expecting anything else until the aforementioned times. I'm resigned to the fact that we're stuck with Kotsay/Jones at DH. Am I happy about it? Not really, but we have to accept it. If we had just one of Kotsay/Jones, we'd probably really be screwed. I'll be happy if a move is made earlier, but I won't hold my breath.

Waysouthsider
02-20-2010, 10:16 PM

You go that right....our farm system is so depleted now that we better hang on to them....all three have a lot of upside...anyone who says they don't isn't paying much attention...so there! :D:

MetroPD
02-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Joe Borchard

jabrch
02-21-2010, 09:30 AM

Not that they suck so we should trade them, but I'd happily trade them to get a guy like Adrian Gonzalez. That's not true only for Sox prospects but for ALL team's prospects.

jabrch
02-21-2010, 09:32 AM

Nobody should be untouchable.

jabrch
02-21-2010, 09:32 AM
You go that right....our farm system is so depleted now that we better hang on to them....all three have a lot of upside...anyone who says they don't isn't paying much attention...so there! :D:

Who says they don't? That doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't trade them if a star player is available.

doublem23
02-21-2010, 09:33 AM

Hudson and Flowers, fine, but Mitchell is a big-time project and, quite frankly, I'm not holding my breath on the Sox pulling that one off.

cards press box
02-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Now that the Damon signing saga has finally ended, I don't expect the Sox to add anyone before the season starts. Of course, if Andruw Jones has a terrible spring and the Sox have an obvious hole in their lineup, they might sign Jermaine Dye (assuming he is still available) or opt for an internal solution, such as adding Tyler Flowers or Jordan Danks to the big league roster. Flowers could be the righty DH in a platoon and give the Sox a third catcher on the roster.

Even if the Sox stay with the current roster and send Flowers and Jordan Danks to AAA to start the season, I could see the Sox bring one or both to the big leagues mid-season. Jordan Danks would certainly improve the OF defense. In this scenario, the Sox could give Juan Pierre and Carlos Quentin a number of at bats at DH (with the other playing the outfield) and have Jordan Danks and Alex Rios consistently in the OF.

In short, the Sox might not add anyone through trade but instead elect to promote from within. And that may well be the best course of action both short term and long term.

DirtySox
02-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Hudson and Flowers, fine, but Mitchell is a big-time project and, quite frankly, I'm not holding my breath on the Sox pulling that one off.

No doubt he's a project, but he has ridiculous upside. Superstar potential. Noone else on the farm has a ceiling comparable to his except maybe Trayce Thompson, who is considerably more raw. Though out of the 3, I think I would give him up first considering how close Hudson/Flowers are.

voodoochile
02-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Now that the Damon signing saga has finally ended, I don't expect the Sox to add anyone before the season starts. Of course, if Andruw Jones has a terrible spring and the Sox have an obvious hole in their lineup, they might sign Jermaine Dye (assuming he is still available) or opt for an internal solution, such as adding Tyler Flowers or Jordan Danks to the big league roster. Flowers could be the righty DH in a platoon and give the Sox a third catcher on the roster.

Even if the Sox stay with the current roster and send Flowers and Jordan Danks to AAA to start the season, I could see the Sox bring one or both to the big leagues mid-season. Jordan Danks would certainly improve the OF defense. In this scenario, the Sox could give Juan Pierre and Carlos Quentin a number of at bats at DH (with the other playing the outfield) and have Jordan Danks and Alex Rios consistently in the OF.

In short, the Sox might not add anyone through trade but instead elect to promote from within. And that may well be the best course of action both short term and long term.

Nix could be the righty in the DH platoon without trashing Flowers' development cycle. His splits against LHP are more than adequate.

A. Cavatica
02-21-2010, 10:53 AM
I think we should sign Felipe Lopez and trade TCM.

mzh
02-21-2010, 10:58 AM
:?: ...teal?

DickAllen72
02-21-2010, 12:28 PM
...For Adrian Gonzalez? Sure!

How about signing Lopez to play 2B and trading Beckham straight up for Gonzalez?

Noneck
02-21-2010, 01:41 PM
How about signing Lopez to play 2B and trading Beckham straight up for Gonzalez?

If they could lock up Gonzalez long term, I would like to see them do it.

mzh
02-21-2010, 01:47 PM
If they could lock up Gonzalez long term, I would like to see them do it.
But for whom is the question. Beckham... Maybe. Quentin and Flowers? Probably. Ramirez and Quentin? Yeah, I'd do that I guess.

Noneck
02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
But for whom is the question.

Sign Lopez, trade Beckham for Gonzalez, if Gonzalez could be locked up long term, sounds real good to me.

mzh
02-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Sign Lopez, trade Beckham for Gonzalez, if Gonzalez could be locked up long term, sounds real good to me.
As much as I love Beckham, I'd have to pull the trigger on that one. Gonzalez could easily hit .320/50/130 for about 5 years in a row in this this park, and the age difference is only about 4 years, it's not like we're getting an about-to-go-downhill 32 year old. The only question is then what we do with the Middle infield, as I assume Lopez won't be around for more than a few years.

Noneck
02-21-2010, 02:04 PM
The only question is then what we do with the Middle infield, as I assume Lopez won't be around for more than a few years.

See how he does this year and go from there.

A. Cavatica
02-21-2010, 04:35 PM
:?: ...teal?

No teal. Lopez is a bargain right now. I'm not crazy about TCM at shortstop and he has trade value, especially to a team who wants a cheap young major league regular. While we're waiting for the midseason trade market to materialize Lopez would provide a solid infield glove and let us rotate Teahen, Ramirez, or Beckham through DH without having to play Vizquel or Nix much.

Clembasbal
02-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Joe Beimel
Kiko Calero
John Smoltz (if he pitches in the pen)

Hank Blalock - for another bat, but I think that it would be the same as Jones for the most part.

I wouldn't mind another guy out of the pen to keep Hudson starting in the minors.

tm1119
02-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Why the hell are people talking about trading Beckham? You dont trade a talent like Beckham when you have him when he so young and cheap. Beckham costs peanuts for the next few years and Gonzalez is due for a 100 million dollar contract at the end of this season that we will never give him or probably anyone. We could very well be looking at the next RH Chase Utley right now. You dont trade that away.

As for whos next to go after? Probably no one at the moment. Not even worth it. You have an open competition in ST for the DH/OF spot. That includes pretty much everyone. Jones, Kotsay, Nix, Flowers, Danks, Dayan, and whoever else. You give the job to the winner. Not just off stats, but intangibles as well as ST stats can be deceiving. Hopefully the trade market opens up from there as teams realize they are out of contention.

tick53
02-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Ive got a gut feeling that we'll see Jermaine back.

LoveYourSuit
02-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Ive got a gut feeling that we'll see Jermaine back.

Kenny was already quoted in saying he is not an option because he's RH and would demand to play every day.

beasly213
02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Kenny was already quoted in saying he is not an option because he's RH and would demand to play every day.

JD might have to realize he will have to earn the right to play every day wherever he signs.

asindc
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm guessing that Hank Blalock is just as banged up as Delgado, otherwise I am surprised that he has not yet been signed.

guillen4life13
02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm guessing that Hank Blalock is just as banged up as Delgado, otherwise I am surprised that he has not yet been signed.

I fail to see how Hank Blalock would be any type of upgrade over the current situation.

asindc
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I fail to see how Hank Blalock would be any type of upgrade over the current situation.

If he is healthy, he would most likely provide more LH power than Kotsay. The biggest drawback would be that he is probably a DH-only player at this point.

dickallen15
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Jeremy Hermida.