PDA

View Full Version : The guys at MLBN project Becks onto the team of the decade (and HOF?)

SephClone89
02-20-2010, 11:07 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7169633

Pretty impressive, honestly. Didn't think the national media was as enamoured with him as we are

mzh
02-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Great to see him getting some love. Personally I think people underestimate his power. He set records in college (not that that means much what with metal bats), but his numbers last year look remarkably similar to the rookie numbers of Magglio Ordonez. Not sayig he'll hit 40 a year, but I think their prognosis of about 18 HR a year is below his capabilities.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-20-2010, 11:33 AM
The guy who picked Beckham does a lot of White Sox reporting. But I'm sure they all came up with the team and they each just took turns telling. It looked rehearsed.
If he puts up those numbers at second base, it's going to be a fun decade. :cool:
Also, I'm penciling Alexei as the SS of the decade because he's going to hit .290 20HR 20SB and get 80RBIS the rest of his career. +6 gold gloves. :bandance:

sox1970
02-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Great to see him getting some love. Personally I think people underestimate his power. He set records in college (not that that means much what with metal bats), but his numbers last year look remarkably similar to the rookie numbers of Magglio Ordonez. Not sayig he'll hit 40 a year, but I think their prognosis of about 18 HR a year is below his capabilities.

He hit 10 homers in 53 road games. That averages to 15 over 81 road games. If he does that, and hits 15 at home, which is likely, I don't think it's out of the question that he'll hit 30 some year. As for this season, I think he's going to have 70 extra base hits.

doublem23
02-20-2010, 11:39 AM
He hit 10 homers in 53 road games. That averages to 15 over 81 road games. If he does that, and hits 15 at home, which is likely, I don't think it's out of the question that he'll hit 30 some year. As for this season, I think he's going to have 70 extra base hits.

For sure. I think a lot of people are still recovering from the Steroid Era so we don't see 30 HR/year as much, but that's pretty solid production coming from your 2B.

MARTINMVP
02-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Saw this the other night from Harold Reynolds (who I normally classify as a pompous jerk) on MLB Network.

No doubt, Gordon has a lot of hype to live up to. His head certainly seems to be in the right place, at the very least.

cards press box
02-20-2010, 11:47 AM
MLB Network's picks of the next decade were pretty good overall. I did have one disagreement: they picked Jon Lester as the lefty starter of the next decade; I would have picked John Danks.

SephClone89
02-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Saw this the other night from Harold Reynolds (who I normally classify as a pompous jerk) on MLB Network.

I think Reynolds on MLBN has outed himself as having a huge soft spot for our Sox. He's always giving them and their players props when the other hosts don't think of them.

Pablo_Honey
02-20-2010, 12:53 PM
MLB Network's picks of the next decade were pretty good overall. I did have one disagreement: they picked Jon Lester as the lefty starter of the next decade; I would have picked John Danks.
As much as I love Danks and hate to admit it, I think it's fair to say Lester is the pitcher of the future at the moment. His numbers are better than Danks and he pitched better in 2009 while Danks took a bit of step down from his spectacular 2008. Not to mention, his recovery from cancer and the fact he's been the staff ace for the Red Sox says a lot (Granted, Sawx pitching staff has been a mess for some time)

On the topic, I like most selections except the rightfield and centerfield picks. Come on, Heyward hasn't even gotten a single at-bat at major league level and they are already crowning him as the future. I know the kid's a beast but let's see what he can do first. And what's with Justin Upton as the centerfield pick? Isn't he a right fielder? Did the D-Backs dump Chris Young or something? Or are they predicting he would eventually move to centerfield because the future first-ballot-hall-of-famer Chris Young would be gone?

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2010, 01:43 PM

Beckham also has fairly decent speed and if he can improve his ability as a base stealer, I wouldn't be shocked if he became a 30/30 guy.

cws05champ
02-20-2010, 02:19 PM
It was nice to see the MLB network give Gordon the nod at 2B...now lets hope he can play up to those expectations. Also on ESPN's baseball special last week Tim Kurkjian picked Beckham as his breakout player this year. I hope he is right!!

I was also looking at a BA chat on prospects and some Cub fan from Iowa asked the question: Next 5 years, Starlin Castro or Gordon Beckham? They said...Beckham, no doubt.

mzh
02-20-2010, 04:46 PM

No doubt, Gordon has a lot of hype to live up to. His head certainly seems to be in the right place, at the very least.
He's paying for picking the Astros in 05!:tongue: