PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Comiskey Park video

kba
02-19-2010, 02:44 PM
From an obscure Channel 32 promotional film, some short video of the forgettable 1970 Sox broadcast team of Jack Drees and Billy Pierce. At about 6:20 in this (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=2847&p=1) clip, watch Jack and Billy look out over the astroturf infield of White Sox Park. Lots of empty blue and red seats in the upper deck that year as the team set a club record with 106 losses.

SephClone89
02-19-2010, 02:56 PM
This was my father's first season as a hardcore follower of the White Sox. He told me that in '70 he cut out every box score and saved them in a book all season long.

PalehosePlanet
02-19-2010, 03:08 PM
From an obscure Channel 32 promotional film, some short video of the forgettable 1970 Sox broadcast team of Jack Drees and Billy Pierce. At about 6:20 in this (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=2847&p=1) clip, watch Jack and Billy look out over the astroturf infield of White Sox Park. Lots of empty blue and red seats in the upper deck that year as the team set a club record with 106 losses.

Very cool; thanks for the link kba.

So weird to see downtown without the Sears Tower; the old, but then ultra modern, mixing and editing boards; the "huge" 180 seat studio (wow!! ha ha) and the old shows they were promoting.

Another odd thing that I've always noticed when watching pre-mid 80's baseball stadium clips is the absence of fans wearing team attire (hats, t-shirts, jerseys, etc...)

Oh, and of course, the hideous infield AstroTurf. Also, wasn't this one of the years we had the ugly auxiliary chain-link looking fences for OF walls in front of the actual stands? I couldn't quite make out if that was in the promo video.

Lip Man 1
02-19-2010, 03:37 PM
I think the chain link fence was 1969 but I'm not positive.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
02-19-2010, 03:39 PM
This was my father's first season as a hardcore follower of the White Sox. He told me that in '70 he cut out every box score and saved them in a book all season long.

Bless your father, how he became a hard core follower of the Sox in 1970 is nothing short of a miracle. Worst Sox team ever and attendance was a paltry 495,000.
Shamed to admit but except for my year in Viet Nam it was the only year since 1955 I didn't get to the old ballpark.

Noneck
02-19-2010, 03:51 PM

Lip

I remember seeing Danny Murphy hitting a homer between the right field wall and the chain link fence.
I looked up Murphys stats and he didn't hit a homer in 69 and 1 in 70. So I'll say the chain link was 70.

Nellie_Fox
02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Bless your father, how he became a hard core follower of the Sox in 1970 is nothing short of a miracle. Worst Sox team ever and attendance was a paltry 495,000.
Shamed to admit but except for my year in Viet Nam it was the only year since 1955 I didn't get to the old ballpark.The '70 season WAS my year in Viet Nam, so I didn't have to suffer through it. I didn't know anything about it until after I got home.

LITTLE NELL
02-19-2010, 04:06 PM

Lip

I remember seeing Danny Murphy hitting a homer between the right field wall and the chain link fence.
I looked up Murphys stats and he didn't hit a homer in 69 and 1 in 70. So I'll say the chain link was 70.

I thought it was up for 69 and 70 so I looked it up on Baseball Almanac and I stumbled into the truth, it was up for those 2 years.

LITTLE NELL
02-19-2010, 04:09 PM
The '70 season WAS my year in Viet Nam, so I didn't have to suffer through it. I didn't know anything about it until after I got home.

My year was 68 but I was lucky to get the Stars and Stripes on a daily basis and followed their first losing season since I became a fan in the early 50s.

Noneck
02-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I thought it was up for 69 and 70 so I looked it up on Baseball Almanac and I stumbled into the truth, it was up for those 2 years.

Thanks for proving us both correct.

TommyJohn
02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not so sure about the chain link fence in 1970. The camera scan of the crowd shows the outfield, and there is clearly no chain link fence.

TDog
02-20-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm not so sure about the chain link fence in 1970. The camera scan of the crowd shows the outfield, and there is clearly no chain link fence.

The chain-link fence was there in 1970. Syd O'Brien, who was only with the White Sox in 1970, hit a home run down the line that bounced off the top of the chain-link fence. In the media, it was reported as the shortest automatic home run ever hit in the ballpark.

I became a die-hard White Sox fan in 1970, the summer I turned 13.

Tragg
02-20-2010, 01:17 AM
The chain-link fence was there in 1970. Syd O'Brien, who was only with the White Sox in 1970, hit a home run down the line that bounced off the top of the chain-link fence. In the media, it was reported as the shortest automatic home run ever hit in the ballpark.

I turned 13 that summer, too. That was the summer that the radio station in La that carried the games finally pulled the plug (why a Louisiana station would carry the games in the first place, is another question - but we did have a Friendly Bob Adams office in town)...after that, I had to listen to WMAQ at night, and move the radio all around my bedroom to get reception to hear the games.
Had 1970 been my first season, I probably would be an astros fan. Fortunately, I started in 1967.

Hitmen77
02-20-2010, 01:30 AM

Ha! Bill Jackson (aka "BJ and the Dirty Dragon") is in that video. I remember him on TV in the late 1970s.

LITTLE NELL
02-20-2010, 06:54 AM

Baseball Almanac has the left and right field lines at 335 feet for 69 and 70. In 71 when Hemond and Tanner took over the chain link fence was taken down.

Also if you go to Ballparktours.com and bring up Comiskey park it will have a history of the dimensions at the park down through the years.

southside rocks
02-20-2010, 07:35 AM

I did that in 1967, my first season of White Sox obsession. By 1970, I was already somewhat jaded, as befitted a 14-year old girl who was in love with the White Sox, so the 106 losses didn't really dampen my enthusiasm!

TommyJohn
02-20-2010, 09:26 AM

Baseball Almanac has the left and right field lines at 335 feet for 69 and 70. In 71 when Hemond and Tanner took over the chain link fence was taken down.

Also if you go to Ballparktours.com and bring up Comiskey park it will have a history of the dimensions at the park down through the years.
Maybe it just isn't noticeable. I'll watch it again.

Medford Bobby
02-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Ha! Bill Jackson (aka "BJ and the Dirty Dragon") is in that video. I remember him on TV in the late 1970s.
I remember going to those events at The Back of the Yard Fairs at 47th and Damen. I was a big Dirty Dragon fan......

http://www.toontracker.com/kidra/cartown2.jpg:bandance:

kba
02-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Question for the history buffs:

At 6:40 in the film, you can see the White Sox on-deck circle, decorated with this (http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=7488ebs2b1ade8kuoybbll7n8) red and white Sox logo. The sports logo history sites on the web say that the red-and-white logo was adopted in 1971, the same year the red pinstripe uniforms debuted. But apparently the red logo predates the red unis?

Lip Man 1
02-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Two things:

1. Rich Lindberg says the temporary chain link fencing to reduce the dimensions at Comiskey Park were installed before the start of the 1969 season.

2. The batter swinging logo was used starting in the 1960's. The color was different however.

Lip

Corlose 15
02-20-2010, 02:32 PM
What was the point of the astroturf infield? Wouldn't the outfield take more abuse and require more uptake than the infield? Why didn't they go entirely to astroturf?

NoNeckEra
02-20-2010, 02:43 PM
What was the point of the astroturf infield? Wouldn't the outfield take more abuse and require more uptake than the infield? Why didn't they go entirely to astroturf?

If I recall, this was the first outside use of Astroturf of any kind (for sure baseball).

The Sox had been accused of slowing up the game with long infield grass and freezing baseballs because of their pitching dominated roster in the 60s and decided to completely change things up. Doing just the infield was much cheaper.

As for the date of the actual video in the clip, this could have been shot in 1968, as I believe the Channel 32 contract was a 5 year deal from 68 thru 72. That would account for the temporary outfield fence apparently missing from the clip.

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2010, 02:46 PM

I thought the chain linked fences weren't taken down until Veeck bought the team in '76 and were up throughout the Dick Allen era?

NoNeckEra
02-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Question for the history buffs:

At 6:40 in the film, you can see the White Sox on-deck circle, decorated with this (http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=7488ebs2b1ade8kuoybbll7n8) red and white Sox logo. The sports logo history sites on the web say that the red-and-white logo was adopted in 1971, the same year the red pinstripe uniforms debuted. But apparently the red logo predates the red unis?

This logo was on Sox programs and other logo applications in the 60s. You'll notice the uniform is in B&W and the red circle was probably used because they printed things like programs and on deck circles with black and one add'l color ink in those days.

I'm questioning the accuracy of the logo website's dates (1971-5).

Lip Man 1
02-20-2010, 02:59 PM
5187:

The chain link fences were gone by the start of the 1971 season or the first full year for Tanner-Hemond.

Lip

Noneck
02-20-2010, 03:05 PM
I thought the chain linked fences weren't taken down until Veeck bought the team in '76 and were up throughout the Dick Allen era?

No, The centerfield bullpen was also removed and the true field dimensions were again realized. That is another reason Dick Allens MVP season and home run count was so impressive.

TommyJohn
02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
If I recall, this was the first outside use of Astroturf of any kind (for sure baseball).

The Sox had been accused of slowing up the game with long infield grass and freezing baseballs because of their pitching dominated roster in the 60s and decided to completely change things up. Doing just the infield was much cheaper.

As for the date of the actual video in the clip, this could have been shot in 1968, as I believe the Channel 32 contract was a 5 year deal from 68 thru 72. That would account for the temporary outfield fence apparently missing from the clip.
But the infield is astroturf.

Lip Man 1
02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
No Neck:

Not quite true. The center field fence cutting off the bullpen areas from the original center field bleachers remained until Bill bought the club. It was changed before the start of the 1976 season.

Dick Allen played with center field being 400 feet from home plate, not 445 feet. (This takes nothing away from his accomplishments by the way.)

Lip

Noneck
02-20-2010, 08:20 PM
No Neck:

Not quite true. The center field fence cutting off the bullpen areas from the original center field bleachers remained until Bill bought the club. It was changed before the start of the 1976 season.

Dick Allen played with center field being 400 feet from home plate, not 445 feet. (This takes nothing away from his accomplishments by the way.)

Lip

My memory must be hit or miss these days. So when Harry did the games from the center field field bleachers it was overlooking the bullpen. I thought I remember looking down on the field. I am not disputing you. I better stop trusting my noodle.

Lip Man 1
02-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Correct. I have video to prove it. Harry "looked down" into the bullpens in center. On Dick Allen's home run into the center field bleachers (August 23, 1972) I can still see Bobby Murcer going back to the center field fence, looking up and the ball was still heading out towards the bleachers.

I was sitting about ten feet from where Harry was sitting that afternoon.

Lip

Noneck
02-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Lip,

I used to sit out there also. My mind is playing tricks on me, I probably am thinking of the view after 76.

kba
02-21-2010, 03:27 PM
If my memory serves me right, the 400 foot fence was there in the early '70's, but the actual bullpens were down the lines. The area between the fence and the big brick centerfield wall was just used for storing the batting-practice cage, etc.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Correct. I have video to prove it. Harry "looked down" into the bullpens in center. On Dick Allen's home run into the center field bleachers (August 23, 1972) I can still see Bobby Murcer going back to the center field fence, looking up and the ball was still heading out towards the bleachers.

I was sitting about ten feet from where Harry was sitting that afternoon.

Lip

Didn't you catch that ball? I've read in two different books that "Mark Lipitak caught the ball and was interviewed by Harry."

Lip Man 1
02-21-2010, 05:42 PM
5187:

Those books are incorrect. I never came close to getting it. Go to the LET ME HERE IT link for August 23, 1972 in this story and you can hear what happened and who DID get it:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2361

KBA:

Correct the bullpens were down the lines in the early 70's. I used the term 'bullpens' to describe the area in center field because that's where they were at various times and that's how I name that space.

Lip