PDA

View Full Version : Damon gets a third thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nellie_Fox
02-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Hard to believe that there's anything left to say (until it's settled,) but say it here.

DaveFeelsRight
02-18-2010, 01:12 AM
i say we go through another day of waiting untill he signs (somewhere) friday

JB98
02-18-2010, 01:42 AM
This many posts about Johnny Damon? The season really needs to start. We're obviously bored....

oeo
02-18-2010, 02:38 AM
This many posts about Johnny Damon? The season really needs to start. We're obviously bored....

No, we were bored when we bitched about not signing Jim Thome for two weeks. Damon could have a big impact on the season, whether he signs here or Detroit. He signs here, he immediately makes the team better, specifically the everyday lineup. The Tigers sign him and they replace one of the two big bats they lost at the top of the order, and thus becoming a serious contender with the Sox and Twins again.

Noneck
02-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Almost 1000 posts and don't see anyone saying they don't want Damon. I hope the Sox see this and get it done.

Thome25
02-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Bruce Levine is saying the opposite of everyone else. (big surprise.) Might as well be a done deal that we sign Damon now that Levineline says the Sox are still longshots.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4922858

DrCrawdad
02-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Bruce Levine is saying the opposite of everyone else. (big surprise.) Might as well be a done deal that we sign Damon now that Levineline says the Sox are still longshots.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4922858

I love that virtually all of the 28 comments are by Cubbie and/or Tigers fans. Someone has a much denied Sox-obsession going on ...

:)

The Immigrant
02-18-2010, 06:55 AM
I love that virtually all of the 28 comments are by Cubbie and/or Tigers fans. Someone has a much denied Sox-obsession going on ...

:)

The North Side is littered with refugees from Michigan who became Cub fans the instant they moved to Chicago, only to re-discover their Tiger fandom sometime in 2006.

DumpJerry
02-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Hard to believe that there's anything left to say (until it's settled,) but say it here.
Come on Nellie, don't you know the true purpose of these Damon threads (and all other offseason threads where we "discuss" player moves the team must make) are primarily created to entertain the White Sox front office staff?

spawn
02-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Come on Nellie, don't you know the true purpose of these Damon threads (and all other offseason threads where we "discuss" player moves the team must make) are primarily created to entertain the White Sox front office staff?

http://sfj70.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515ddf69e200e553fc13058834-500wi
"Are you not entertained?! Are you not entertained?! Is this not why you are here?!"

chisox616
02-18-2010, 08:23 AM
So is it pretty generally believed that Damon will sign with whoever today? Or is this going to drag out for a while...

I have a feeling it will be the latter but things seem to be pretty close.

veeter
02-18-2010, 08:34 AM

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4922858Spoken like a true cubbie wubbie fan.

rwcescato
02-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Come on Damon sign with the Sox. If we get his bat in our line-up the expectations could turn to late post season run. I already cant stand the Twin bandwagon. It making me sick. The Twins will be out in the cold all season now. They also have no idea how there park will play out.

GoGoCrede
02-18-2010, 09:27 AM
A third thread? Take that, Peavy!

I'm gonna be at work today so I'm excited to watch this thread like a hawk while I'm there - er, I mean, work hard.

dwalteroo
02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Wow, 30 minutes without a post. Well done everyone!

Sockinchisox
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Kenny says he'll be talking about Damon...on Sunday.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/3472

soltrain21
02-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Or Kenny is being coy and thinks by Sunday Damon will be signed by the Sox. Why not weigh that option, Daily Herald?

Thatguyoverthere
02-18-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100217/SPORTS0104/2170405/1129/sports0104/Tigers-don-t-like-being-used-in-Johnny-Damon-sweepstakes

beasly213
02-18-2010, 10:16 AM
The longer this goes on the more I think Damon signs with Detroit.

Have fun in 3rd place Johnny! :(:

SoxGirl4Life
02-18-2010, 10:20 AM

I love the speculation. Maybe Kenny just doesn't want to talk about it.

voodoochile
02-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Probably. I still think Johnny wants to play in Chicago, but only if he can get the money he wants. I think the delay is an effort to squeeze more money from the Sox.

If he really wanted to play for Detroit, he'd have signed by now.

Nellie_Fox
02-18-2010, 10:29 AM
http://sfj70.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515ddf69e200e553fc13058834-500wi
"Are you not entertained?! Are you not entertained?! Is this not why you are here?!"
:lol:

VMSNS
02-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Probably. I still think Johnny wants to play in Chicago, but only if he can get the money he wants. I think the delay is an effort to squeeze more money from the Sox.

I agree, especially with 2years/14million on the table.

If I were Kenny/Jerry, I would give in a little bit. Kicking in an extra 1 million to the $4.5mm offer I think would help us a lot.

beasly213
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM

I'm with you that he isn't crazy about playing for Detroit. But in the end it's probably money that makes the final call for Damon.

voodoochile
02-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm with you that he isn't crazy about playing for Detroit. But in the end it's probably money that makes the final call for Damon.

I agree and honestly who can blame him? I mean he's won WS championships already. He's nearing the end of his career. He wants to make as much as he can before he retires. A guarantee of an extra 10M in today's money is a lot to walk away from.

mzh
02-18-2010, 10:36 AM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100217/SPORTS0104/2170405/1129/sports0104/Tigers-don-t-like-being-used-in-Johnny-Damon-sweepstakes
I posted an article by the same author yesterday. Even if it didn't say "Detroit News" at the top, you could tell this was written by a Tiger fan. The writer makes it out to be that Damon will sign with the Tigers because they offer the most money. Obviously that is not the case, because if it were he would have signed by now. I don't buy into the idea that Borass is still holding out for more money that what Detroit offered, as far as I know there is no doubt that 2/14 is the best deal he'll get, period.

dickallen15
02-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I think in the end, he'll be a Tiger. I think on Sunday, KW will be complaining about misinformation being reported with the source more than likely Damon's agent.

veeter
02-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Or Kenny is being coy and thinks by Sunday Damon will be signed by the Sox. Why not weigh that option, Daily Herald?The Sunday comment doesn't seem to lead to the good or bad side. That Gregor thinks it spells doom is ridiculous.

veeter
02-18-2010, 10:46 AM

If he really wanted to play for Detroit, he'd have signed by now.I think this is what's going on.

JohnnyInnsbrook
02-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I think in the end, he'll be a Tiger. I think on Sunday, KW will be complaining about misinformation being reported with the source more than likely Damon's agent.

I have a feeling Kenny is getting sick of this thing dragging on forever too and Sunday will be his self imposed signing dead line.

DirtySox
02-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Agreed. Sounds like he will be giving reasons why he wasn't able to sign him.

Cuck the Fubs
02-18-2010, 10:51 AM

I dunno...if $$$$ were the only issue in play, he'd have grabbed that 2/14 from the Tigers.

I suspect we're going to land Damon

veeter
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Agreed. Sounds like he will be giving reasons why he wasn't able to sign him.If this is true, in the end it became Boras vs. Kenny again, instead of just signing a guy we probably need.

voodoochile
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I have a feeling Kenny is getting sick of this thing dragging on forever too and Sunday will be his self imposed signing dead line.

Or more likely Damon wants to be in camp on time with whoever he signs with so he's told the Sox and Tigers he'll make a decision by this weekend.

voodoochile
02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
If this is true, in the end it became Boras vs. Kenny again, instead of just signing a guy we probably need.

Not necessarily, don't discount the second year of the contract as being a HUGE factor. The Sox probably only want to go one year. That's $7M guaranteed that the Tigers are offering that the Sox are not.

That's not chump change.

veeter
02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Not necessarily, don't discount the second year of the contract as being a HUGE factor. The Sox probably only want to go one year. That's $7M guaranteed that the Tigers are offering that the Sox are not.

That's not chump change.Yea, maybe he really wants to sign with the Sox, but that second year is too much to pass up.

GoSox2K3
02-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Without another legitmate bat in our lineup (whether it's Damon or some other acquisition), we may be the ones in 3rd place this summer.

JermaineDye05
02-18-2010, 11:00 AM
No one should really be surprised when Damon eventually signs with the Tigers.

soltrain21
02-18-2010, 11:03 AM

Yes, you've said that about 30 times. And I don't think anyone WOULD be surprised. That doesn't mean we can't HOPE he signs with us.

spawn
02-18-2010, 11:07 AM

That's not chump change.
I think KW forgot to show this to Damon:

Rtv27xyrRIE

If Damon would've seen this, he would've punched Boras in the back of the head, and then bitch slapped him for making him contemplate playing for the Tigers. Then he would've told Kenny he'd pay for the opportunity to play for the Sox. Done deal. KW messed up BIG TIME by not showing him this! :redneck

oeo
02-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Glad to see all the 'we have no chance' comments are back after a one day hiatus when we were supposedly the frontrunner. Just as bad as all the conflicting reports.

CLR01
02-18-2010, 11:12 AM

If I were Kenny/Jerry, I would give in a little bit. Kicking in an extra 1 million to the $4.5mm offer I think would help us a lot.

Forget that. Just tell him this is the offer if it's not good enough go enjoy Detroit.

beasly213
02-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Glad to see all the 'we have no chance' comments are back after a one day hiatus when we were supposedly the frontrunner. Just as bad as all the conflicting reports.
:welcome:

Pablo_Honey
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes, you've said that about 30 times. And I don't think anyone WOULD be surprised. That doesn't mean we can't HOPE he signs with us.

It always feel better to be surprised after expecting the worst than hoping for the best and getting that hope crushed. There were a few FA's we thought we were "strongly interested" in (Matsui being the recent example) but never signed and I guess some people just developed a coping mechanism for it. :shrug: Odds are seriously against us and I don't care what the rumours say, rumours are never to be trusted.

getonbckthr
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm at the point where I no longer have a gut feeling or a prediction of the outcome. I'm at the point where I just want a resolution so each team can get on with what they wanna do.

TheOldRoman
02-18-2010, 11:17 AM
This is too weird. I said it from the beginning, but I don't think the 2/$14mil offer EVER was on the table from the Tigers. It doesn't make sense for them to trump the Braves offer of 1/$4 mil with half deferred by offering him four times that.
If I were Kenny/Jerry, I would give in a little bit. Kicking in an extra 1 million to the $4.5mm offer I think would help us a lot. We don't know how the supposed Sox offer is packaged. Rosenthal's wording was midleading. The Sox may have offered $4.5 mil for this year with an additional $2 mil deferred.

That's not chump change.Damon likely wants a player option for the second year. If he has a great season and the market is better, he could get more than the $7 mil he would in Detroit next year. However, if he bombs and is on his last leg, he would pick up the option and have the Sox pay him that money to suck. I don't think the Sox would offer the player option here.

CHISOXFAN13
02-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Nice job padding the post count in this thread.

NLaloosh
02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Most likely Damon would choose Chicago over Detroit if the money were the same or very close.

However, it isn't. The Sox probably made their best effort to get Damon to accept the Sox deal for much less money allowing for other factors to make him happy.

Unfortunately, while that works with guys like Jermaine Dye and Jim Thome, it doesn't work with Damon and Boras.

DSpivack
If he signs with the Tigers, then he'll have to face Mark Buehrle and John Danks several times during the season. Surely he wouldn't want that? :cool:

JermaineDye05

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/f/ff/Salesman.jpg

"Touché salesman..."

soltrain21
02-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Most likely Damon would choose Chicago over Detroit if the money were the same or very close.

However, it isn't. The Sox probably made their best effort to get Damon to accept the Sox deal for much less money allowing for other factors to make him happy.

Unfortunately, while that works with guys like Jermaine Dye and Jim Thome, it doesn't work with Damon and Boras.

How the hell do you know it doesn't work with Johnny Damon? And I remember Jim Thome going to the Phillies for more money when the Indians offered him a reasonable contract. But okay.

CLR01
02-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Same to you. :rolleyes:

soxinem1
02-18-2010, 11:24 AM
How the hell do you know it doesn't work with Johnny Damon? And I remember Jim Thome going to the Phillies for more money when the Indians offered him a reasonable contract. But okay.

Free Agency makes even the nicest of guys greedy.:smile:

Jim Shorts
02-18-2010, 11:29 AM
If he signs with the Tigers, then he'll have to face Mark Buehrle and John Danks several times during the season. Surely he wouldn't want that? :cool:

And Peavy putting it in his ear....

soltrain21
02-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Why the hell would that happen?

oeo
02-18-2010, 11:33 AM
It always feel better to be surprised after expecting the worst than hoping for the best and getting that hope crushed. There were a few FA's we thought we were "strongly interested" in (Matsui being the recent example) but never signed and I guess some people just developed a coping mechanism for it. :shrug: Odds are seriously against us and I don't care what the rumours say, rumours are never to be trusted.

I know, but it makes you wonder, how can you be so afraid of disappointment, by a baseball team nonetheless, that you can't have hope. Same **** with all these doom and gloom predictions for the season, like we're going to have the worst offense in the history of baseball.

Rohan

What does this mean? Did I miss something? Maybe I'm just behind on lingo :?:

Sargeant79
I'm at the point where I no longer have a gut feeling or a prediction of the outcome. I'm at the point where I just want a resolution so each team can get on with what they wanna do.

That's the positive out of all this though...even if Damon doesn't wind up coming here. Agree with them or not, the Sox seemed prepared to go into the season with the roster as it is. They are only talking about Damon because he dropped into their price range.

The key here is that the Sox weren't waiting around or hinging all of their plans on Damon. If he winds up here, bonus. If not, the Sox are at the same point they were before with nothing really lost compared with what they had planned on doing already.

CLR01
02-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Because Sox fans are mad!!!!

GoGoCrede

Erm, why? Throwing a pitch close to the head is not cool at all.

dickallen15
I don't know why anyone would give someone grief for signing with another team for almost double the next bid was. I always laugh at the people who gave ARod crap about signing with Texas, saying he didn't care about winning. If someone offered you $100 million more than everyone else to do the same job, you would be an idiot not to take it.

GoGoCrede
02-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Because Sox fans are mad!!!!

I'll never forget how pissed people were at Peavy, then when we actually signed him, they wanted to kiss his feet. Ah, the life of a sports fan. I imagine it will be the same way with Damon.

getonbckthr
02-18-2010, 11:36 AM

You're either with us or against us....:cool:

asindc
02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Forget that. Just tell him this is the offer if it's not good enough go enjoy Detroit.

I suspect that is what is happening. KW has no reason to believe the 1yr/$7mil or 2yrs/$14mil reports out there, since Detroit has not confirmed such. Heck, Boras has not even been quoted as saying such has been offered. Given that, KW might have sweetened the pot after JR made his public statement and AJ and Hawk played golf with Damon. If so, I think that is it as far as a Sox offer to Damon is concerned.

Boras likes to create a climate in which he can tell several teams "you need my client." As it stands now, it seems that both the Sox and Detroit are telling Boras "your client needs us." As I said before, we might find out who is boss in this relationship, Boras or Damon.

Jim Shorts
Erm, why? Throwing a pitch close to the head is not cool at all.

Good lord, man. You should back away from the Twitter.

It was a joke.

This whole thread needs an enema

sunofgold
we will at least know that Mr. Reinsdorf has at least have $4-$5M that he is willing to spend this year. Could be spent during the season.

Thus, I have to look at this way. If we sign Damon, GREAT. If we don't sign Damon, it is okay. Would suck losing him to an AL Central rival, however we would still have some money to possibly spend on an OF/DH/1B.

Could mean a trade where a team is looking to unload some cash. Also, isn't Adrian Gonzalez going to be available mid-season. San Diego likes our farm system. haha!

spawn
02-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I'll never forget how pissed people were at Peavy, then when we actually signed him, they wanted to kiss his feet. Ah, the life of a sports fan. I imagine it will be the same way with Damon.
When it happens, I'm going to get some popcorn, a beer, then sit back and enjoy the show!

GoGoCrede
02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Good lord, man. You should back away from the Twitter.

It was a joke.

This whole thread needs an enema

Heh. You never can tell around these parts when it's implied teal. And I think I'll stay on Twitter, thanks.

asindc
02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't know why anyone would give someone grief for signing with another team for almost double the next bid was. I always laugh at the people who gave ARod crap about signing with Texas, saying he didn't care about winning. If someone offered you $100 million more than everyone else to do the same job, you would be an idiot not to take it.

I would not fault Damon for taking the most money, just like I didn't fault ARod for taking that idiot's money down in Texas.

JermaineDye05
02-18-2010, 11:44 AM
we will at least know that Mr. Reinsdorf has at least have $4-$5M that he is willing to spend this year. Could be spent during the season.

Thus, I have to look at this way. If we sign Damon, GREAT. If we don't sign Damon, it is okay. Would suck losing him to an AL Central rival, however we would still have some money to possibly spend on an OF/DH/1B.

Could mean a trade where a team is looking to unload some cash. Also, isn't Adrian Gonzalez going to be available mid-season. San Diego likes our farm system. haha!

they like our system but they love Boston's. If Epstein will get off his high horse and just give up Buccholz or someone else of decent to good value, they'll have A-Gone come midseason.

Jim Shorts
Heh. You never can tell around these parts when it's implied teal. And I think I'll stay on Twitter, thanks.

bless your co-workers and family, then

GoGoCrede
bless your co-workers and family, then

Thanks! :bandance:

oeo
02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
they like our system but they love Boston's. If Epstein will get off his high horse and just give up Buccholz or someone else of decent to good value, they'll have A-Gone come midseason.

That's not the issue, they don't have any room for him. As soon as the Lowell to Texas deal was off, Adrian Gonzalez to Boston was off.

#1swisher
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Another rumor?

http://blog.mlive.com/cutoffman/2010/02/report_johnny_damon_might_sign.html

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM

Also, something about Jake Peavy being the greatest pitcher of our time...

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Another rumor?

:rolling:

asindc
02-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Another rumor?

That is a rehash of earlier information mixed in with more speculation. I wonder who will report that the Sox have emptied out a locker at its ST site. :rolleyes:

spawn
02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Another rumor?

I heard a rumor he was going to sign a major league contract with an MLB team sometime between now and the end of the season.

#1swisher
02-18-2010, 11:59 AM
That is a rehash of earlier information mixed in with more speculation. I wonder who will report that the Sox have emptied out a locker at its ST site. :rolleyes:

I liked the empty locker update, as well:redneck

JermaineDye05
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Also, something about Jake Peavy being the greatest pitcher of our time...

Actually I believe my argument has been that Jake is the greatest pitcher of ALL TIME :tongue:

TheOldRoman
That is a rehash of earlier information mixed in with more speculation. I wonder who will report that the Sox have emptied out a locker at its ST site. :rolleyes:What the hell does it mean the Tigers have "emptied a locker"? The majority of the team hasn't reported yet. Why wouldn't it be empty?

Newsflash: I heard from someone who was just in the Sox' ST clubhouse, and ALL the lockers were empty. Something big is going down!

CLR01

I don't know about the locker but he has leased a house in the Phoenix area.

GoGoCrede
02-18-2010, 12:01 PM
What the hell does it mean the Tigers have "emptied a locker"? The majority of the team hasn't reported yet. Shouldn't they all be empty?

Come on now, beat reporters don't need the FACTS!

Sockinchisox
02-18-2010, 12:01 PM
What the hell does it mean the Tigers have "emptied a locker"? The majority of the team hasn't reported yet. Shouldn't they all be empty?

That they've set aside an extra empty locker in case he signs with them.

CLR01
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
What the hell does it mean the Tigers have "emptied a locker"? The majority of the team hasn't reported yet. Why wouldn't it be empty?

I'd bet a lot of the players have equipment/uniforms sitting in a locker waiting for their arrival. Stuff the teams store for them or stuff that was shipped out.

spawn
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
What the hell does it mean the Tigers have "emptied a locker"? The majority of the team hasn't reported yet. Why wouldn't it be empty?
You really need to stop holding these writers accountable for missing out on these obvious facts.

dickallen15
02-18-2010, 12:05 PM
What is significant is KW said he wouldn't talk about it until Sunday. If Damon were to sign with the Sox today, Friday or Saturday, KW would be talking. So either he knows Damon will not make a decision until at least Sunday or he knows he's going somewhere else.

Hitmen77
02-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Yep, I fully expect him to eventually sign with Detroit.

If these stories are to be believed, he'd rather play in Chicago and he's just hoping that the White Sox will at least come close to Detroit's offer. But in the end, if the Sox aren't going to budge (and the suggestion is that they aren't), he'll take the higher offer from Detroit.

It's fairly rare for a MLB player to take less than the highest offer.....(and before someone posts a picture of Dye, I said rare not "never")...., but I wouldn't be surprised if it's unheard of for a Boras client to do this.

Damon and Boras are waiting until the last possible minute because they know that the Tigers aren't going anywhere. It's so late in the offseason that it's not like Detroit is going to say they couldn't wait any longer and went ahead and signed another free agent of Damon's caliber.

asindc
02-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Dombrowski sweetens the deal on the table by telling Damon, "We've emptied out a ST locker for you. It is all yours if you want it!"

TheOldRoman
02-18-2010, 12:07 PM
What is significant is KW said he wouldn't talk about it until Sunday. If Damon were to sign with the Sox today, Friday or Saturday, KW would be talking. So either he knows Damon will not make a decision until at least Sunday or he knows he's going somewhere else.Kenny doesn't talk about speculation or ongoing negotiations. Therefore, there is nothing to talk about right now. His presser on Sunday was probably already scheduled, seeing as everyone reports that day. Ergo, he will talk to the press on Sunday. Nothing to fret or get excited about based on that.

oeo
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Dombrowski sweetens the deal on the table by telling Damon, "We've emptied out a ST locker for you. It is all yours if you want it!"

Damon to Boras: Ooooh, call up the White Sox and ask them if I can have King Konerko's chair.

JermaineDye05
02-18-2010, 12:09 PM
My friend just saw Johnny Damon in a cafe talking to Brent Lillibridge, asking him if it would be alright if he could have #18.

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 12:09 PM

Newsflash: I heard from someone who was just in the Sox' ST clubhouse, and ALL the lockers were empty. Something big is going down!

Not true.

http://twitpic.com/13lr15

Even Brent freakin' Lillibridge has a locker prepared.

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 12:10 PM
My friend just saw Johnny Damon in a cafe talking to Brent Lillibridge, asking him if it would be alright if he could have 18.

Brent Lillibridge surrenders his number to NO ONE.

getonbckthr
The whole Kenny not talking until Sunday means nothing.

oeo
Not true.

With #18...not good.

Now the Tigers have an open locker AND #18 open.

oeo
02-18-2010, 12:11 PM
The whole Kenny not talking until Sunday means nothing.

Yep because he's going to be talking to the media on Sunday, regardless.

GoGoCrede
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM
My friend just saw Johnny Damon in a cafe talking to Brent Lillibridge, asking him if it would be alright if he could have #18.

I believed you yesterday, I'm not going to believe you this time!

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM
With #18...not good.

The fact that Lillibridge's jersey is in there AT ALL is not good.

:happybday

TheOldRoman
02-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Not true.

Even Brent freakin' Lillibridge has a locker prepared.I've been served.:(:

getonbckthr
02-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Yep because he's going to be talking to the media on Sunday, regardless.
Exactly. Breaking News "BCKTHR will be drinking both Friday and Saturday nights. A Damon signing celebration must be in the works!" No I just drink on the weekends kind of like a MLB GM would talk to the media on or around spring training report day.

getonbckthr
02-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Not true.

Is that an open locker next to Kotsay? Uhhh ohhh its a sign. Damon is coming!!!!

dickallen15
02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Kenny doesn't talk about speculation or ongoing negotiations. Therefore, there is nothing to talk about right now. His presser on Sunday was probably already scheduled, seeing as everyone reports that day. Ergo, he will talk to the press on Sunday. Nothing to fret or get excited about based on that.

They have often used the line they will report something when there is something to report. If the Sox were planning on signing Damon today or tomorrow, KW wouldn't throw out he will talk about it on Sunday. He would say no comment. I think Damon is something other than a White Sox when KW speaks. KW wouldn't go out today and say he will speak about a specific topic unless he knew it would be resolved one way or the other, and if it was with Damon being a White Sox, KW would have to speak about it as soon as the signing leaked.

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 12:16 PM
is that an open locker next to kotsay? Uhhh ohhh its a sign. Damon is coming!!!!

Make it happen, Kenny!

thedudeabides
02-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Kenny doesn't talk about speculation or ongoing negotiations. Therefore, there is nothing to talk about right now. His presser on Sunday was probably already scheduled, seeing as everyone reports that day. Ergo, he will talk to the press on Sunday. Nothing to fret or get excited about based on that.

I know, I havent seen people over analize a meaningless sentence this bad since Greenspan was around.

What Gregor and Henning have said is nothing but conjecture. There is no new information today.

So, we are exactly where we were yesterday, or the week before that. Meaning, we really know nothing. Niether club is talking, and this is a very typical Boras negotiation.

There are going to be more conflicting reports as this drags on. So remember, try not to get too high or too low(refrain from saying you love or hate Damon too much, as it will come back to bite you one way or the other:D:). Most likely what you're hearing is initiated from the Boras camp.

dickallen15
02-18-2010, 12:19 PM
I know, I havent seen people over analize a meaningless sentence this bad since Greenapan was around.

What Gregor and Henning have said is nothing but conjecture. There is no new infomration today.

So, we are exactly where we were yesterday, or the week before that. Meaning, we really know nothing. Niether club is talking, and this is a very typical Boras negotiation.

There are going to be more conflicting reports as this drags on. So remember, try not to get too high or too low(refrain from saying you love or hate Damon too much, as it will come back to bite you one way or the other:D:). Most likely what you're hearing is initiated from the Boras camp.

There is new information. Information that the White Sox offer hasn't changed in 6 weeks, so all that stuff yesterday was a show. Something I'm sure KW will speak about on Sunday unless he thinks better of it.

While I'm sure he would love to publicly bash Boras, he probably won't, which is probably a smart thing, no matter how badly you want to do it.

TheOldRoman
02-18-2010, 12:20 PM
They have often used the line they will report something when there is something to report. If the Sox were planning on signing Damon today or tomorrow, KW wouldn't throw out he will talk about it on Sunday. He would say no comment. I think Damon is something other than a White Sox when KW speaks. KW wouldn't go out today and say he will speak about a specific topic unless he knew it would be resolved one way or the other, and if it was with Damon being a White Sox, KW would have to speak about it as soon as the signing leaked.You don't know the context. Gregor might have said "Kenny, lots of talk going around. Can you give us a quote?"

tebman
02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
All this hand-wringing over Damon made me think of a song. Remember "Johnny Angel"? Try these words with that tune. It'll help pass the time while we wait for him to make up his mind:

Johnny Damon, how we love him.
He's got something that we can't resist,
And Boras holds him oh-so-tightly in his fist.

Johnny Damon, how we want him.
How we yammer when he passes by.
And when Twitter chirps with news, the fans all heave a sigh.

I remember -- how I get carried away.
I think how very weird, is Damon in a beard.

Other fellas, say he won't sign this late,
but I just sit and wait, I'd rather concentrate ...

... on Johnny Damon.
'Cause we need him.
And I pray that this week he'll know that.
And Chicago, not Detroit, is where he'll swing his bat.

:tongue:

Rockabilly
02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Kim Jones of WFAN heard from a good source that Damon will be signing with the Sox this weekend.

Rocky Soprano
02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Kim Jones of WFAN heard from a good source that Damon will be signing with the Sox this weekend.

And you heard this from?

KenBerryGrab
02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
There is new information. Information that the White Sox offer hasn't changed in 6 weeks, so all that stuff yesterday was a show.

So you were there?

dickallen15
You don't know the context. Gregor might have said "Kenny, lots of talk going around. Can you give us a quote?"
Considering the news of the past 24 hours, I'm quite certain Gregor asked specifically about Johnny Damon. KW said he would talk about it Sunday. I've seen plenty of no comments come out of KW's mouth, but never an I'll talk to you about that in a few days.

SoxGirl4Life

:gah: That's 3 more days of this!

Rockabilly
02-18-2010, 12:26 PM
And you heard this from?

From a friend who lives in NY and listens to WFAN

thedudeabides
There is new information. Information that the White Sox offer hasn't changed in 6 weeks, so all that stuff yesterday was a show. Something I'm sure KW will speak about on Sunday unless he thinks better of it.

While I'm sure he would love to publicly bash Boras, he probably won't, which is probably a smart thing, no matter how badly you want to do it.

That came from Bruce Levine. And his sources are usually 6 weeks behind.

asindc
Considering the news of the past 24 hours, I'm quite certain Gregor asked specifically about Johnny Damon. KW said he would talk about it Sunday. I've seen plenty of no comments come out of KW's mouth, but never an I'll talk to you about that in a few days.

Just because it has not been reported as such before doesn't mean that KW has not said something similar before.

GoGoCrede
:gah: That's 3 more days of this!

I predict at least one more thread will have to be opened...any takers?

dickallen15
02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Just because it has not been reported as such before doesn't mean that KW has not said something similar before.
If he's not going to talk about it until Sunday, Damon will not sign with the White Sox before then. Maybe somewhere else.

Rocky Soprano
02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
From a friend who lives in NY and listens to WFAN

You must have friends in every state since your source is always a friend that lives in "a state" and they heard...

Funny how no one else seems to hear what your friends always hear.

sunofgold
02-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Damon is going to either have the Tigers fanbase or the White Sox fanbase upset at him for not signing with them. And even if he signs with the Tigers, the Damons have been connected to the sentiment that 'Detroit isn't cosmopolitan enough for them'. Not really the best way to endear yourself to a set of fans.

This easily could have been avoided. These comments and biddings never should have been leaked to the public. A player who is a free agent should keep negotiation as private as possible. Announce when a decision has been made.

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Who the **** is Kim Jones?

dickallen15
02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Where's Otis when you need him?

hi im skot
Damon is going to either have the Tigers fanbase or the White Sox fanbase upset at him for not signing with them. And even if he signs with the Tigers, the Damons have been connected to the sentiment that 'Detroit isn't cosmopolitan enough for them'. Not really the best way to endear yourself to a set of fans.

This easily could have been avoided. These comments and biddings never should have been leaked to the public. A player who is a free agent should keep negotiation as private as possible. Announce when a decision has been made.

I won't be upset with Damon if he signs with Detroit. Johnny Damon doesn't owe me a damn thing.

JermaineDye05
You must have friends in every state since your source is always a friend that lives in "a state" and they heard...

Funny how no one else seems to hear what your friends always hear.

Considering most posts have been in jest with regards to things people have heard about Damon, I think we can assume that Rockabilly was merely joining in on the fun. At least that's what I got from it.

getonbckthr
Hey RB i'm not sure if WFAN offers this but could you link us to the radio station if they have archives?

SoxGirl4Life
02-18-2010, 12:31 PM

I'm with ya..

soltrain21
02-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Hi, welcome to how news and the media work today. This is nothing new, won't stop and is (by me) very welcomed.

TomParrish79
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM

She works at a Chevron Service Station but their radio is always on The Fan

soltrain21
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM

Newb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jones_%28reporter%29

Jim Shorts
02-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Newb.

Why not? +1

CLR01
Not true.

There's an empty locker all the down at the end. :o:

Sockinchisox
Considering most posts have been in jest with regards to things people have heard about Damon, I think we can assume that Rockabilly was merely joining in on the fun. At least that's what I got from it.

No, we can't assume, all of his rumors come from his friends who heard something on the radio.

JB98
02-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I'll go along with that.

I have no idea whether Johnny Damon will sign with the Sox. My guess is he'll be a Tiger, because I think pro athletes always follow the money and Detroit is offering more cash at this point.

I figure another 400 posts on this topic is a reasonable bet one way or the other.

hi im skot
Newb.

Sounds made up.

Noneck

If this report is true, it actually is encouraging considering Kim Jones is a yanks clubhouse reporter for the yes network.

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
She works at a Chevron Service Station but their radio is always on The Fan

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/7/0/2/7/1195423550187356949molumen_red_approved_stamp.svg. hi.png

WhiteSox1989
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I won't be upset with Damon if he signs with Detroit. Johnny Damon doesn't owe me a damn thing.

Plus ya know...he didn't murder anyone.

CLR01
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM

You can't post this unless you have a picture of Damon riding a white horse on the beach. Or atleast drinking coffee in Italy.

Noir
02-18-2010, 12:39 PM
What is lost in all this speculation and BS, is that Johnny Damon is essentially a mercenary when you look back at the career moves he's made. He left Oakland for Boston, Boston for NY, and usually for the biggest bid. What is interesting is why he hasn't signed with Detroit by now if the reports of them having a higher bid is true. Either Detroit's bid isn't as high as 7M or there is a third team who nobody knows about...the Yankees anyone?

johnnyg83
02-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Plus ya know...he didn't murder anyone.

But if he wanted to, Detroit would certainly be the choice.

CLR01
02-18-2010, 12:41 PM
But if he wanted to, Detroit would certainly be the choice.

Do you read the news in Chicago?

Sockinchisox
02-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Sox source: "We're not interested in adding to the misinformation out there."

http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/9295458864

beasly213
02-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Sox source: "We're not interested in adding to the misinformation out there."

http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/9295458864

I can't stand that guy.

oeo
02-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I can't stand that guy.

Why? Garfien is a Sox fan through and through. I also think he's the most talented on a network full of mostly hacks.

The article also says that the negotiations are "private", which would shoot down the speculation that the Sox are not interested at all with the quote before.

voodoochile
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM

It's an emotional locker in the team's heart. Next we'll find out they sent chocolates and flowers last Sunday...

johnnyg83
02-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Do you read the news in Chicago?

I read it in my kitchen.

dickallen15
02-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I read it in my kitchen.

Thats a good one.:D:

34 Inch Stick
02-18-2010, 01:17 PM

One? If he signs with the Sox it will be 2 threads...if he signs with the Tigers, 3.

GoGoCrede
02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
One? If he signs with the Sox it will be 2 threads...if he signs with the Tigers, 3.

I can hear the raging and moaning already. :smile: And the boos the first time he faces us if he signs with the Tigers. Ah, baseball. It's good to have you back.

spawn
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM

I won't be upset either. I won't be one of them, but I think if Sox fans were going to be upset at anyone, it will be KW and Ozzie. They'll get the blame. The frustration over not having a legitimate DH will boil over if Damon doesn't sign. It will be fun times I tell ya!

oeo
02-18-2010, 01:29 PM
I won't be upset either. I won't be one of them, but I think if Sox fans were going to be upset at anyone, it will be KW and Ozzie. They'll get the blame. The frustration over not having a legitimate DH will boil over if Damon doesn't sign. It will be fun times I tell ya!

It already boiled over when Thome wasn't signed.

cws05champ
02-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Two odd things about this whole thing:

1) When was the last time the Sox were the preferred destination over somewhere else?
2) When has AJ Pryzinski actually been a guy you use to recruit another player to your team?

Nellie_Fox
02-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Holy crap; 150 more posts in the last twelve hours. Unbelievable.

Carolina Kenny
02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
The pressure is building. Sox Nation is getting uncomfortable thinking about a visit to Corpse Ball.

Something must be done.

DaveFeelsRight
02-18-2010, 02:00 PM

1) When was the last time the Sox were the preferred destination over somewhere else?
2) When has AJ Pryzinski actually been a guy you use to recruit another player to your team?we live in bizzaro world where everyone takes crazy pills. duh.

kellykid
02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
2) When has AJ Pryzinski actually been a guy you use to recruit another player to your team?

Exactly! Hey I love AJ, but I never saw him as some sort of "goodwill ambassador" for the Sox. Hey whatever works.

white sox bill
02-18-2010, 02:01 PM
IIRC the Cubs pitchers and catchers report tomorrow. I'll bet the Sox wait until then to announce Damon signing just to spoil the Cubs parade

soltrain21
02-18-2010, 02:01 PM
The pressure is building. Sox Nation is getting uncomfortable thinking about a visit to Corpse Ball.

Something must be done.

Corpse ball wasn't having a bad offense. Corpse ball was having a great offense (like we did in the early 2000s) and watching them shut it down.

oeo
02-18-2010, 02:18 PM
IIRC the Cubs pitchers and catchers report tomorrow. I'll bet the Sox wait until then to announce Damon signing just to spoil the Cubs parade

They reported yesterday.

asindc
02-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

1) See Dye, Jermaine, circa 2004.

2) I don't think AJ gets anywhere near Damon if not for the fact they played HS ball together.

thedudeabides
02-18-2010, 02:25 PM
It already boiled over when Thome wasn't signed.

It's boiled over more than once. I think if Damon signs with the Tigers there will be an epic meltdown amongst a group of posters. I can just see some of them waiting to pounce.

It's pretty much par for the course in the offseason.

GoGoCrede
02-18-2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.pets-doc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/hug_it_out.jpg
Hug it out, everybody.

That puppy doesn't look too thrilled...post is invalid.

Damon better make a decision soon...we're getting a bit cranky here on Day 4. :smile:

soxinem1
02-18-2010, 02:38 PM
It's boiled over more than once. I think if Damon signs with the Tigers there will be an epic meltdown amongst a group of posters. I can just see some of them waiting to pounce.

It's pretty much par for the course in the offseason.

A lot of us are not too thrilled about the prospects of the Rotate-A-DH candidates as they are. As an early 'Sign Damon' advocate, I really hope this goes through.

Signing Damon would give us an intriguing option to supplement the current candidates, and not have the possibility of two recently released players, a 43-year old backup INF and a six-year minor league FA signee from 2009 solely try to supply the production necessary from the DH spot.

It seems to me that most of us here want to see that option added to the team and avoid the possibility of using the castaways named to provide 25-30 HR and 90-100 RBI from this position.

And if it falls through, then we will speculate all over again on the next DH signee!!!

Hitmen77
02-18-2010, 02:47 PM

I agree. I won't blame Damon if he takes the higher offer.

It's Sox management who thinks that we can get by with just using our bench for the DH spot in the lineup. I'm not sure what their goal is: to just be barely good enough to win a weak division (maybe) or to be competitive against the top teams in the AL. If we're going with reserves to fill a spot that other AL teams fill with run producers, then I guess I have my answer and I'm not going to boo a player because he didn't take a cheaper contract just because "his wife likes Chicago".

samurai_sox
02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Why? Garfien is a Sox fan through and through. I also think he's the most talented on a network full of mostly hacks.

The article also says that the negotiations are "private", which would shoot down the speculation that the Sox are not interested at all with the quote before.

Put me in the Pro-Garfien group, the man is a genuine Sox fan.

I remember the day after that horrible game against the Cubs in Wrigley back in '08 when Aramis Ramirez hit a walk off homer off Linebrink, on CSN they showed the tribune back page with Ramirez rounding third and in the background you can clearly see Chuck Garfien all quiet and depressed. Thats when I learned he was a Sox fan.

veeter
02-18-2010, 03:06 PM

It's pretty much par for the course in the offseason.If Damon goes to Detroit, I'm calling a Carlos Delgado offer by the end of April.

NLaloosh
02-18-2010, 03:09 PM
If Damon goes to Detroit, I'm calling a Carlos Delgado offer by the end of April.

And, if the Delgado deal falls through then KW will probably be calling Frank Thomas out of retirement.

Maybe we should start that thread now...why wait ?

havelj
02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
And, if the Delgado deal falls through then KW will probably be calling Frank Thomas out of retirement.

Will he be able to wear uniform #35?
:cool:

thedudeabides
02-18-2010, 03:23 PM
A lot of us are not too thrilled about the prospects of the Rotate-A-DH candidates as they are. As an early 'Sign Damon' advocate, I really hope this goes through.

Signing Damon would give us an intriguing option to supplement the current candidates, and not have the possibility of two recently released players, a 43-year old backup INF and a six-year minor league FA signee from 2009 solely try to supply the production necessary from the DH spot.

It seems to me that most of us here want to see that option added to the team and avoid the possibility of using the castaways named to provide 25-30 HR and 90-100 RBI from this position.

And if it falls through, then we will speculate all over again on the next DH signee!!!

Oh, I'm aware of the issues, and I'm not trying to single anyone out.

Just pointing out how much chest pounding is going to happen if Damon signs with the Tigers. It'll be another month of hearing how stupid and arrogant Kenny and Ozzie are, and how cheap JR is.

Like I said, it's par for the course in the offseason, outside of the total kumbaya that was the '06 offseason. :wink:

FoulTerritory
02-18-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm surprised this thread is still going strong. Kenny's whole "I'll talk about it Sunday" comment carries a sure tone of defeat, me thinks.

Oh well.

Hitmen77
02-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Will he be able to wear uniform #35?
:cool:

Ow, my eyes!:tongue:

:tealpolice:

soltrain21
02-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm surprised this thread is still going strong. Kenny's whole "I'll talk about it Sunday" comment carries a sure tone of defeat, me thinks.

Oh well.

Oh, for the love of all that is holy, PLEASE explain how? And can you please teach me your way of knowing tone through text?

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Oh well.

Have we not learned to take anything that KW says at face value?

Dude will be meeting with the press on Sunday regardless of what happens with Damon; pitchers and catchers report that day.

oeo
02-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Oh well.

I don't think so at all. He's saying he's not going to talk to the media until Sunday, which just so happens to be the day pitchers and catchers report. If he's in the middle of negotiations, he's not going to talk about it. I'm sure if he signed tomorrow, Kenny would talk about it, but right now if they're negotiating, what's there to say?

Zisk77
02-18-2010, 04:01 PM
They reported yesterday.

So we announced the signing of Damon yesterday then :tongue:

Slappy
02-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Great news! This just in:

:tomatoaward

oldcomiskey
02-18-2010, 04:14 PM
does anybody know the second offer KW gave Damon?. Sure would be nice to get him and keep him away from Detroit

doublem23
02-18-2010, 04:16 PM
does anybody know the second offer KW gave Damon?. Sure would be nice to get him and keep him away from Detroit

There's roughly 2,000 posts on this subject in WTS.

soxinem1
02-18-2010, 04:17 PM

Not to be rude, but where have you been the past two days?:D:

GoGoCrede
02-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Man, you have about 50 pages to catch up on...good luck! :smile: Some of it makes excellent bathroom reading material.

Thatguyoverthere
02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm following along with the thread on Damon over at motownsports and a lot of Detroit fans believe Damon would make them the clear favorite in the division, and several other fans there already believe they're the favorite. At this point, I see a marginally better lineup, a bad bullpen, and a significantly inferior rotation. Am I missing something? They're a team of old, injury-prone players and young, unproven players.

getonbckthr
02-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm following along with the thread on Damon over at motownsports and a lot of Detroit fans believe Damon would make them the clear favorite in the division, and several other fans there already believe they're the favorite. At this point, I see a marginally better lineup, a bad bullpen, and a significantly inferior rotation. Am I missing something?
:bong:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Well, let's close up shop. getonbckthr has just won the thread.

gobears1987
02-18-2010, 04:37 PM

In Detroit, there's plenty of that. :redneck

NoNeckEra
02-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Sorry to say, that until this discussion moves to another forum, it doesn't mean much.

There is a confluence of the beginning of spring training and a possible FA signing that has people overly anxious and "post happy".

#1swisher
02-18-2010, 04:38 PM

per Rosenthal
http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal

ilsox7
02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
per Rosenthal
http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal

That's a day old and has been talked about to death in here.

kravdog
02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm following along with the thread on Damon over at motownsports and a lot of Detroit fans believe Damon would make them the clear favorite in the division, and several other fans there already believe they're the favorite. At this point, I see a marginally better lineup, a bad bullpen, and a significantly inferior rotation. Am I missing something?

I think, much like the Sox, the Tigers could be a good team IF w,x,y,z all fall into place...with a few more of IF's... For the sox, its more about playing to potential/career averages. For the Tigers, its probably a bit more about playing to career bests, but IF.... That's the beauty of analyzing teams in February.

#1swisher
02-18-2010, 04:42 PM
That's a day old and has been talked about to death in here.
oldcomiskey asked a question. He is tardy to the party, LOL

Lip Man 1
02-18-2010, 04:49 PM
That Guy:

For what it's worth, this week in the print edition of The Sporting News, when they look in detail at the A.L. Central, one A.L. scout says the Tigers have the best starting rotation in the division.

:?:

Lip

Hitmen77
02-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Yesterday there was a flurry of these Twitter "updates" and today there seems to be nothing new.

I'm still expecting to see a new thread in Talking Baseball by this weekend titled "Damon Signs with the Tigers" but I guess for now I can hold out hope that the Sox are about to fill that one glaring hole in their lineup.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Yesterday there was a flurry of these Twitter "updates" and today there seems to be nothing new.

I'm still expecting to see a new thread in Talking Baseball by this weekend titled "Damon Signs with the Tigers" but I guess for now I can hold out hope that the Sox are about to fill that one glaring hole in their lineup.Probably not. Someone will try and make a witty title that confuses the heck out of most people, but makes a few minority of the people here laugh. Thread titles always confuse me here, they are usually not simple and to the point like that.

Though I have only been here for less than two years, maybe I missed the memo that Damon related threads where he signs with the Tigers are usually simple.

basilesox
02-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm following along with the thread on Damon over at motownsports and a lot of Detroit fans believe Damon would make them the clear favorite in the division, and several other fans there already believe they're the favorite. At this point, I see a marginally better lineup, a bad bullpen, and a significantly inferior rotation. Am I missing something? They're a team of old, injury-prone players and young, unproven players.

I don't see there lineup being better. Not with the loss of Granderson and Polanco. I would say slight edge to the Sox. I mean besides Inge, Ordonez, and Cabrera I don't see any proven bad A$$es in that lineup. Raburn, Clete Thomas, and Austin Jackson are still unproven. Everett is below average offensively. Laird could barely hit his way out of a paper bag. They definitely need Damon alot more than we do. However, even with his addition I do not necessarily think they are better offensively.

I will give them one thing, they have what could be a killer 1,2,3 punch of starters, with Verlander, Scherzer, and Porcello,that could be better than Peavy, Buehrle, and Danks. Still Porcello and Scherzer are young and unproven so its unlikely they will be better and we definitely have more depth in the rotation. With the addition of Valverde and a healthy Zumaya, their bullpen might be equal to ours. However, when was the last time Zumaya stayed healthy all year.

I tried to look at this without being biased as well, because I think the Twins have a much better lineup than ours. That being said biased or unbiased they just don't stack up at all. They get a little closer with Damon, but still do not think they could be considered front runners by any means.

oeo
02-18-2010, 05:08 PM
That Guy:

For what it's worth, this week in the print edition of The Sporting News, when they look in detail at the A.L. Central, one A.L. scout says the Tigers have the best starting rotation in the division.

Lip

They have a very good front two, but after that it's pretty questionable. Scherzer coming over from the NL, then Jeremy "People still think I'm good, though I never have been" Bonderman and Nate "I've always sucked" Robertson.

ESPN had some SportsCenter Special over the weekend and Pedro Gomez and the host (don't remember his name, not Ravech, the other tool) loved the Tigers. They think the Tigers have comparable pitching and a much better offense. :?: Neither are even close to being true.

Whitesox029
02-18-2010, 05:16 PM
They have a very good front two, but after that it's pretty questionable. Scherzer coming over from the NL, then Jeremy "People still think I'm good, though I never have been" Bonderman and Nate "I've always sucked" Robertson.

ESPN had some SportsCenter Special over the weekend and Pedro Gomez and the host (don't remember his name, not Ravech, the other tool) loved the Tigers. They think the Tigers have comparable pitching and a much better offense. :?: Neither are even close to being true.
ESPN was talking about something other than basketball or football?
But seriously, the favorite in our division now hinges on where Damon goes. If he goes to Detroit, the Twins are probably the favorites. If he comes here, it's us. The Tigers would have to pull off a mind-blowing trade to be considered the favorites by this point.

Corlose 15
02-18-2010, 05:20 PM

The Tigers have a good front two but no depth behind it like you're saying. It's laughable to say their rotation is on par with the Sox.

It's kind of like John Heyman saying that Javier Vazquez is baseballs best 4th starter.

basilesox
02-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Seriously..Wow its funny how horrible these so called experts are sometimes. I mean they have unproven guys (Althought talented) in LF, 2B and CF and straight up holes at SS, and C. An aging and regressing Guillen at DH. I mean unless they get Damon I think the Royals can give them a run for their money offensively this year.

chaotic8512
02-18-2010, 05:26 PM
That Guy:

Lip

For all intents and purposes, let's just say Peavy/Buehrle = Verlander/Porcello. All four are fine pitchers. Porcello could be a candidate for a sophomore slump, but could also have an amazing second year. We just don't know. Either way, they more or less offset.

But anyone who thinks for a second that a Scherzer-Bonderman-Robertson/Galarraga 3-4-5 is better than Floyd-Danks-Garcia/Hudson needs to get their head examined. Bonderman hasn't been dependable for a while (not that his career best 4.01 ERA is anything to write home about, anyway), and Robertson is pure garbage (overall ERA last three years well north of 5).

Did this AL scout happen to work for the Detroit Tigers?

I imagine Damon's smarter than that though, and if he really wants to win (and we can give him enough deferred money -- sadly, we all know this is the big factor), he'll choose us.

soxinem1
02-18-2010, 05:34 PM
For all intents and purposes, let's just say Peavy/Buehrle = Verlander/Porcello. All four are fine pitchers. Porcello could be a candidate for a sophomore slump, but could also have an amazing second year. We just don't know. Either way, they more or less offset.

But anyone who thinks for a second that a Scherzer-Bonderman-Robertson/Galarraga 3-4-5 is better than Floyd-Danks-Garcia/Hudson needs to get their head examined. Bonderman hasn't been dependable for a while (not that his career best 4.01 ERA is anything to write home about, anyway), and Robertson is pure garbage (overall ERA last three years well north of 5).

Did this AL scout happen to work for the Detroit Tigers?

I imagine Damon's smarter than that though, and if he really wants to win (and we can give him enough deferred money -- sadly, we all know this is the big factor), he'll choose us.

You can add to that group Dontrelle Willis, as Bonderman, Robertson, and Willis will combine for approx. $34 million in salary as well!!!

I'm not too sure on putting Porcello in Buehrle or Peavy status yet. He has not earned it.

And I'm no big believer in Freddie, but I'll chance him and Hudson in the #5 over the cast of misfits (including Gallaraga) DET will have for their 3-5 rotation slots ANY DAY.

So why would Damon want to go there and chase balls off the LF wall everyday, when he can come here, take four AB's a game and sit down 120 games, and maybe 20-30 games in LF or CF?

Danielgosox38
02-18-2010, 05:34 PM
This article from earlier this morning says Damon is expected to sign with Tigers in next day or two (Sorry if old).

http://blog.mlive.com/cutoffman/2010/02/report_johnny_damon_might_sign.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-tigers+%28Detroit+Tigers+Impact+-+MLive.com%29

Rdy2PlayBall
02-18-2010, 05:35 PM
This article from earlier this morning says Damon is expected to sign with Tigers in next day or two (Sorry if old).

http://blog.mlive.com/cutoffman/2010/02/report_johnny_damon_might_sign.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-tigers+%28Detroit+Tigers+Impact+-+MLive.com%29I think some people had a good laugh already over this article.

CHISOXFAN13
02-18-2010, 05:36 PM

http://blog.mlive.com/cutoffman/2010/02/report_johnny_damon_might_sign.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-tigers+%28Detroit+Tigers+Impact+-+MLive.com%29

The headline of the article says he MIGHT sign. That doesn't mean expected.

Make a decision, PLEASE, so this insanity ends.

chaotic8512
02-18-2010, 05:38 PM
You can add to that group Dontrelle Willis, as Bonderman, Robertson, and Willis will combine for approx. $34 million in salary as well!!!

I'm not too sure on putting Porcello in Buehrle or Peavy status yet. He has not earned it.

And I'm no big believer in Freddie, but I'll chance him and Hudson in the #5 over the cast of misfits (including Gallaraga) DET will have for their 3-5 rotation slots ANY DAY.

So why would Damon want to go there and chase balls off the LF wall everyday, when he can come here, take four AB's a game and sit down 120 games, and maybe 20-30 games in LF or CF?

It's more of a case where I am trying to give the Tigers the biggest benefit of the doubt possible.

There's no conceivable way the Tigers have a better rotation than us, short of multiple injuries/down years on our side and multiple career years on theirs. But that's just not how you analyze. :cool:

soxinem1
02-18-2010, 05:41 PM
It's more of a case where I am trying to give the Tigers the biggest benefit of the doubt possible.

There's no conceivable way the Tigers have a better rotation than us, short of multiple injuries/down years on our side and multiple career years on theirs. But that's just not how you analyze. :cool:

Oh, I agree with you 100%. I just added the Willis option and the fact Damon will be running for balls in the gaps when those scrubs pitch, whereas here he can sit on his ass and hit 3-5 times a game.

getonbckthr
02-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Is this the cleared locker junk?

basilesox
02-18-2010, 05:50 PM

The funniest part of that article are the comments..Detroit fans are complete idiots. Although i liked this one comment,

according to what i heard, damon said said, "my wife's gonna go where i'm gonna go, and i'm gonna go where my wife tells me to go".

I hope that is true, because I can't imagine Damon's wife picking Detroit over Chicago, LOL!!

Rdy2PlayBall
02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
The funniest part of that article are the comments..Detroit fans are complete idiot. Although i liked this one

according to what i heard, damon said said, "my wife's gonna go where i'm gonna go, and i'm gonna go where my wife tells me to go".

I hope that is true, because I can't imagine Damon's wife picking Detroit over Chicago, LOL!!Is that last part a quote from some fan at the bottom of the article?

basilesox
02-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Is that last part a quote from some fan at the bottom of the article?

Sorry I typed it fast..I just edited it..does it make sense now??

basilesox
02-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Is that last part a quote from some fan at the bottom of the article?

Yes...The rest of the comments are filled with ignorant comments like, "Damon throws like a girl". Most of them are completely retarded and lack basic baseball knowledge. I am not too surprised though.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Sorry I typed it fast..I just edited it..does it make sense now??I thought the quote was more like...
She's going where I'm going.
...meaning something like ~ he's the boss.

Most people who post on those articles usualy sound like idiots anyway. I'd think they would put a little more thought into their comments when many people read those articles and those comments.

basilesox
02-18-2010, 06:01 PM
I thought the quote was more like...
She's going where I'm going.
...meaning something like ~ he's the boss.

No i think he is saying that she has to move as well and SHE is the boss..He was probably joking around, but lets hope there is some truth to it. Because if she is calling the shots, they are not going to detroit..haha

Just Google "Damon's wife" and there are tons of articles on her not wanting to go to Detroit.

Hitmen77
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM

In the end, it almost always comes down to $$$$.

All this suggestion that he would rather play in Chicago is nice, but what it likely really means is that he'd love to play in Chicago....if the White Sox would only offer as much money as the Tigers.

Remember, he's a Boras client. You hire Scott Boras if your primary goal is to get the fattest contract possible from the highest bidder - no matter which team it is.

getonbckthr
02-18-2010, 06:16 PM
This is getting aggravating. Boras knows the Sox and Kenny Williams. He should know they are not gonna add to the offer. I guess for that reason i'm starting to believe Damon/Boras is waiting for Detroit to raise thier offer to a can't say no level. I don't know. Just decide!

asindc
02-18-2010, 06:31 PM
That Guy:

Lip

Does that scout work for the Tigers?

mzh
02-18-2010, 06:44 PM
That Guy:

Lip
Soooo essentially

Peavy < Verlander. I'll give a slight edge to Peavy..
Buehrle <= Porcello :?:
Danks <= Scherzer :smokin:
Floyd <= Galarraga :scratch:
Garcia/Hudson <= Bonderman :rolleyes:

All in all, I think any intelligent fan can disregard that with a :shrug:

russ99
02-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Soooo essentially

Scherzer is a better pitcher than we think. Verlander-Peavy is fairly close to a draw, with Jake slightly ahead. The rest, right on.

asindc
02-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Scherzer is a better pitcher than we think. Verlander-Peavy is fairly close to a draw, with Jake slightly ahead. The rest, right on.

I don't think anyone here is doubting that Scherzer will be good, but there is nothing in his past that suggests he will be better than Danks this season.

Thatguyoverthere
02-18-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't think anyone here is doubting that Scherzer will be good, but there is nothing in his past that suggests he will be better than Danks this season.Exactly, this is why to suggest their rotation is better is just absurd. Even if you want to call the front two of each team equal (which is questionable, Porcello is only going to be in his second year and has to prove he can do it again, and Buehrle has a proven track record of being consistently good), then it's still very difficult to make a case that Scherzer and Bonderman/Galarraga will be better than or even close to Danks, Floyd, and Garcia/Hudson. I'm not seeing it.

DirtySox
02-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Still waiting:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/white-sox-still-waiting-on-damon-decision.html

soxinem1
02-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Soooo essentially

Actually, whoever believes these statements should:

http://www.bhatt.id.au/blogimg/cut-the-crap.jpg

DrCrawdad
02-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Still waiting:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/white-sox-still-waiting-on-damon-decision.html

Here is what I suspect, Damon won't sign with the Sox or the Tigers. Team X will swoop in and sign him, ala Borass.

Rockabilly
02-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Scott Merkin said on MLB.Com live that he believes that Damon will sign with the Sox.

Viva Medias B's
02-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Scott Merkin said on MLB.Com live that he believes that Damon will sign with the Sox.

Yes, but when???

spawn
02-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Doesn't he cover the White Sox? I think he's a little biased.

Rockabilly
02-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes, but when???

today the video is on the Sox website..

Rockabilly
02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Doesn't he cover the White Sox? I think he's a little biased.

Yes but I would hope that he has some inside info to predict that Damon will be signing with us

doublem23
02-18-2010, 08:57 PM

Scherzer is still incredibly raw and unknown, he's a big wild card for Detroit, so far his career has been all bark, no bite, but he's only going to be 25 this season and if the Tigers help him figure it out, they close the gap significantly.

Its funny that we scoff at the notion the Tigers could have a better starting rotation than we do, but then there are some posters here who rag on the rest of us as "dark clouds" for pointing out the Sox offense is pretty much all question marks, too.

Frankly, if Verlander, Porcello, Galarraga, and Scherzer pitch the way they're capable of, that is a better staff than ours. Its just incredibly dangerous to rely on so many unknowns (I'm looking at you, Carlos Quentin, Alex Rios, Andruw Jones, and Mark Teahen).

Corlose 15
02-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Scherzer is still incredibly raw and unknown, he's a big wild card for Detroit, so far his career has been all bark, no bite, but he's only going to be 25 this season and if the Tigers help him figure it out, they close the gap significantly.

Its funny that we scoff at the notion the Tigers could have a better starting rotation than we do, but then there are some posters here who rag on the rest of us as "dark clouds" for pointing out the Sox offense is pretty much all question marks, too.

Frankly, if Verlander, Porcello, Galarraga, and Scherzer pitch the way they're capable of, that is a better staff than ours. Its just incredibly dangerous to rely on so many unknowns (I'm looking at you, Carlos Quentin, Alex Rios, Andruw Jones, and Mark Teahen).

And if Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd pitch the way they're capable of it isn't even close. Which is much more likely.

Rockabilly
02-18-2010, 09:05 PM
And if Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd pitch the way they're capable of it isn't even close. Which is much more likely.

Don't forget Hudson. I predict that he will play a big role for us this year and many years to come.

doublem23
02-18-2010, 09:07 PM

If our Top 4 pitch they way they can and their Top 4 pitch they can, it's a lot closer than some here would like to admit.

Our staff is better now because it's more likely that ours will be in that great-to-good area while the Tigers have 1 established, proven stud (Verlander) and then 3 total wildcards (Porcello, Galarraga, Scherzer) who are as likely to go out and have great seasons this year as they are to completely implode.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
And if Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd pitch the way they're capable of it isn't even close. Which is much more likely.I also think the Carlos Quentin, Alex Rios, Andruw Jones, and Mark Teahen bunch has a better chance of performing to their capabilities. Rios has ONE bad season and this guy is now I bum, I find the negativity towards this guy overexagerated. Also, if Quentin is healthy, we will get 35hrs and a good amount of RBIS. Teahen is always consistently average, with a possible upside in our park. Jones... well, he's a gamble.

DirtySox
02-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Don't forget Hudson. I predict that he will play a big role for us this year and many years to come.

Agreed. Which is why I'm keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't need to be traded for a bat.

doublem23

This is based on what? The Sox track record with pitchers in my lifetime is horrendous. By my count, we've developed three above average starters since I was born in 1983; Black Jack, Buehrle, and Garland, who of course, spent a full professional season outside of the organization.

I want to believe Hudson will be rock solid, but I've seen plenty of Kip Wells, Jon Rauchs, Gio Gonzalezs, Scott Ruffcorns, Jim Parques, etc. over the years.

oeo

No, that's not what you're doing. You're acting like it's the worst offense in history. Like they won't score ANY runs, not just many runs. You, specifically, have overreacted and have nothing to back it up.

I wouldn't give a **** if you said they had question marks. I agree with that.

If Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd pitch the way they're capable of, they're the better staff, without a doubt. Armando Galarraga? Come on, what has this guy proven? One good year? He's 28 years old and had one pretty good year a couple years ago, he's definitely not better than Danks and likely will be no better than Floyd AT BEST. My guess is he isn't even on their starting staff, and if he is, it won't be for long.

This is doom and gloom, and again, it's surprising coming from someone who is usually a Pollyanna.

CLR01
02-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Sox and Damon have agreed on money the hold up now is Damon is demanding to wear no. 9.

Rockabilly
02-18-2010, 09:14 PM
This is based on what? The Sox track record with pitchers in my lifetime is horrendous. By my count, we've developed three above average starters since I was born in 1983; Black Jack, Buehrle, and Garland, who of course, spent a full professional season outside of the organization.

I want to believe Hudson will be rock solid, but I've seen plenty of Kip Wells, Jon Rauchs, Gio Gonzalezs, Scott Ruffcorns, Jim Parques, etc. over the years.

Fernandez was another great home grown starter.

I just have faith that Hudson will be a great starter for us for many years.

PeoriaSoxFan
02-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Sox and Damon have agreed on money the hold up now is Damon is demanding to wear no. 9.

Teal intended here?

Corlose 15
02-18-2010, 09:15 PM
If our Top 4 pitch they way they can and their Top 4 pitch they can, it's a lot closer than some here would like to admit.

Our staff is better now because it's more likely that ours will be in that great-to-good area while the Tigers have 1 established, proven stud (Verlander) and then 3 total wildcards (Porcello, Galarraga, Scherzer) who are as likely to go out and have great seasons this year as they are to completely implode.

I think Floyd is poised to take another step forward this year. Once he supposedly stopped tipping his pitches to start the year he had a VERY solid year and even though he had that rough start he improved a lot of his stats across the board from a year ago. In fact before he went had those bad starts because of his hip flaring up he even had a better ERA than the year before.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-18-2010, 09:16 PM

I want to believe Hudson will be rock solid, but I've seen plenty of Kip Wells, Jon Rauchs, Gio Gonzalezs, Scott Ruffcorns, Jim Parques, etc. over the years.Danks is/will be above average, and the past has no relevance to present day players... you know that.

I assume you also think we will only win the WS exactly every 88 years and the cycle will continue forever?

thomas35forever
02-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Not this **** again. This is getting ridiculous. Should we ask Flowers if he wants to wear No. 72?

decolores9628
02-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Have him call Minnie and it will all be sorted out

doublem23
02-18-2010, 09:21 PM
No, that's not what you're doing. You're acting like it's the worst offense in history. Like they won't score ANY runs, not just many runs. You, specifically, have overreacted and have nothing to back it up.

I wouldn't give a **** if you said they had question marks. I agree with that.

Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel DH Abomination - Sucks
Quentin - Always hurt
Rios - Don't know a lot about him, but his little stint with us last year was awful
Teahen - Consistently underwhelming, career OPS+ under 100
Pierre - good enough on a good team, but individually he's been pretty mediocre for the last 1/2 of the decade.
Bacon - Everyone expects him to be a superstar, would not be unheard of is he struggled, the term "sophomore slump" is around for a reason.
Alexei - Regressed terribly from rookie year.

I've said this consistently as my reasons for being concerned about this team.

This is doom and gloom, and again, it's surprising coming from someone who is usually a Pollyanna.

Perhaps its because I'm not all one side or all the other? I call's em like I see's em. When I get excited about the Sox, I'll say so. Right now, I think this team sucks.

Oblong
02-18-2010, 09:22 PM
No serious discussion on the Tiger staff should include the name Armando Galarraga.

The guy to watch out for is Bonderman on the starting staff and in the bullpen it's Zumaya. I've been ragging the Tigers medical staff for 2 or 3 years now but I think these 2 guys are finally healthy again. Just a hunch. I know everybody in Spring training feels great and all that.

hi im skot

:happybday

Corlose 15

I just have faith that Hudson will be a great starter for us for many years.

Jason Bere probably would've been pretty good too if he hadn't gotten hurt. I'm not trying to win any arguments with him but he was an all star in '94.

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Not this **** again. This is getting ridiculous. Should we ask Flowers if he wants to wear No. 72?

C'mon, man...

Brian26
02-18-2010, 09:24 PM

:rolling:

doublem23
02-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Danks is/will be above average, and the past has no relevance to present day players... you know that.

Who is talking about Danks? I'm talking about Hudson, who again, I hope turns out to be a stud, but I can't figure out where this confidence is coming from, considering how miserably pitching prospects pan out in all of baseball, let alone the extraordinarily ****ty job the Sox development staff has done.

Brian26
02-18-2010, 09:25 PM

Yes, I'd put Fernandez right up there as well.

oeo
02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel DH Abomination - Sucks
Quentin - Always hurt
Rios - Don't know a lot about him, but his little stint with us last year was awful
Teahen - Consistently underwhelming, career OPS+ under 100
Pierre - good enough on a good team, but individually he's been pretty mediocre for the last 1/2 of the decade.
Bacon - Everyone expects him to be a superstar, would not be unheard of is he struggled, the term "sophomore slump" is around for a reason.
Alexei - Regressed terribly from rookie year.

I've said this consistently as my reasons for being concerned about this team.

I don't agree with everything here, but like I said, I do agree there are questions. These are not reasons to think the offense will score no runs, however. Not reasons to think the team will suck. You're making a lot of assumptions, all of the worst case variety.

Perhaps its because I'm not all one side or all the other? I call's em like I see's em. When I get excited about the Sox, I'll say so. Right now, I think this team sucks.

This is the most opinionated I've ever seen you at WSI and I think you're overreacting for whatever reason. More than most, actually, and that's saying a lot.

On the other side of your best case scenario of the Tigers rotation, what if everyone plays to their potential on the Sox offense? Pierre gets on base, Quentin stays healthy, Rios gets back into form, Beckham continues upwards, etc. Then what? Or can I not do that? Can you only do best case scenarios for the opposition and worst case for the Sox?