PDA

View Full Version : August 29, 2010

Dub25
02-18-2010, 12:20 AM
I just went to TicketMaster and searched for tix. The best available for 2 seats is Sec 555 row 8. Way to go Sox fans. This game is close to a sellout already and it should be soldout. Frank deserves a Full House.

The only problem I see is phony Yankee fans being there and showing no respect.

GoGoCrede
02-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Drat. I was hoping to wait till August or so to get tickets, because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go. Looks like I'll have to pre-order way in advance in case I do go.

But way to go, Frank. :gulp: You deserve it. And that place better be rocking with SOX fans.

Dub25
02-18-2010, 12:27 AM
Drat. I was hoping to wait till August or so to get tickets, because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go. Looks like I'll have to pre-order way in advance in case I do go.

But way to go, Frank. :gulp: You deserve it. And that place better be rocking with SOX fans.

Keep an eye on Stub Hub. That's what I'm doing for the opener.

doublem23
02-18-2010, 12:40 AM
I wish they wouldn't have made it a Yankee game. Those are already packed to begin with, it's going to be next to impossible to land a ticket for that game.

Oh well. HDTV to the rescue.

DumpJerry
02-18-2010, 12:43 AM
I wish they wouldn't have made it a Yankee game. Those are already packed to begin with, it's going to be next to impossible to land a ticket for that game.

I was puzzled at their choice of opponent for the game. Yankee games always sell very well. Maybe it is going to be a Fox Sports game to give Hurt some national exposure in the team's campaign for HoF votes?

I was thinking they would choose a Royals game to boost otherwise lagging sales.....oh well, I guess this is why I don't have Brooks' job.

ilsox7
02-18-2010, 12:43 AM

I was shocked they made it a Yankee game. I figured they would pick a "lesser" game to get another sell-out.

SephClone89
02-18-2010, 12:50 AM
I was already going to the game on the 28th with a couple of friends, and was pretty bummed when I found out that it was going to be the next day, as I figured I wouldn't be able to get tickets as they'd be too expensive. Then I talked it over with my dad and he said we should definitely go. So that day (it was the Friday he retired) we landed two seats in section 527. I can't wait.

NDSox12
02-18-2010, 12:52 AM
I was puzzled at their choice of opponent for the game. Yankee games always sell very well. Maybe it is going to be a Fox Sports game to give Hurt some national exposure in the team's campaign for HoF votes?

I was thinking they would choose a Royals game to boost otherwise lagging sales.....oh well, I guess this is why I don't have Brooks' job.

Isn't it a Sunday game? If so, it won't be on Fox. Maybe ESPN or TBS though.

DumpJerry
02-18-2010, 12:53 AM
The only problem I see is phony Yankee fans being there and showing no respect.
There aren't too many phony Yankee fans, they are the anti-Red Sox. I've never had a problem with Yankee fans, they know baseball and are respectful.

Red Sox fans at Comiskey (most of whom are really Cub fans), on the other hand......:angry:

Taliesinrk
02-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Yeah. I tried within 24 hrs of them announcing the date and had to settle on uppers. Oh well, I'll be there at least.

DumpJerry
02-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Isn't it a Sunday game? If so, it won't be on Fox. Maybe ESPN or TBS though.
Day game, no ESPN.

New York media will be there, of course. Just as good as national media.

Taliesinrk
02-18-2010, 12:55 AM
There aren't too many phony Yankee fans, they are the anti-Red Sox. I've never had a problem with Yankee fans, they know baseball and are respectful.

Red Sox fans at Comiskey (most of whom are really Cub fans), on the other hand......:angry:

Agree 110%.

hi im skot
02-18-2010, 12:56 AM

Fox won't be doing a Sunday afternoon game.

Dub25
02-18-2010, 01:00 AM

Anti Red Sox fans? How come I hear the screams of what sounds like teen age girls when Jeter comes to the plate?

doublem23
02-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Day game, no ESPN.

It's a day game now, might get changed before its all said and done.

And, 99% of Yankee fans are phonies. Take away the "aura" and they're not there.

DSpivack
02-18-2010, 01:18 AM
Day game, no ESPN.

Couldn't it still be moved to an ESPN Sunday Night game? Don't they have some flexibility in their scheduling, or is that just in September, or is my imagination running wild?

oeo
02-18-2010, 01:50 AM
I was shocked they made it a Yankee game. I figured they would pick a "lesser" game to get another sell-out.

That's not guaranteed, though, especially later in the season. You'd hope Frank would be able to get a sell out crowd, but you never know. If the team is struggling and they're playing the Royals or something, people might be disinterested.

ilsox7
02-18-2010, 01:52 AM
That's not guaranteed, though, especially later in the season. You'd hope Frank would be able to get a sell out crowd, but you never know. If the team is struggling and they're playing the Royals or something, people might be disinterested.

Since they announce the date for it 6 months ahead of time, no matter what game they picked was going to be a full house. Just like Halfway to St. Patrick's Day and Elvis Night are.

Shoeless_Jeff
02-18-2010, 02:15 AM
As soon as I heard the date, I ordered the tickets to make sure I was going to be there. I just hope the Sox fans outnumber the Yankees fans tenfold.

beasly213
02-18-2010, 09:27 AM
It's a day game now, might get changed before its all said and done.

And, 99% of Yankee fans are phonies. Take away the "aura" and they're not there.

99% MAN that is a high number of phonies! :tongue:

Seriously though I have always been fine with Yankees fans at US Cellular. I highly doubt any of them will boo big Frank or anything on his day.

As for tickets, I would tell everyone to hold off a little bit before paying some crazy prices on ebay or stubhub right now. For some reason every year people buy up the yankee tix in hopes of scalping um and end up with an excess because the demand for the Yankees isn't as high as it used to be.

The last 2 years I waited till the day of and bought tix off goldcoast tickets, ebay and stubub and was able to get face value tix in the lower level.

I'm sure this year it might be a little tougher because of Big Frank day but you'll still be able to find tickets cheaper than they are now.

anewman35
02-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Next to impossible? There are tickets on ticketmaster right now. That's hardly "next to impossible". They're not very good tickets, and aren't cheap, but that's hardly impossible.

doublem23
02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Next to impossible? There are tickets on ticketmaster right now. That's hardly "next to impossible". They're not very good tickets, and aren't cheap, but that's hardly impossible.

Sweet Jesus, you know what I meant.

anewman35
02-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Sweet Jesus, you know what I meant.

Not really. Would you prefer a mid-week game against the Pirates or something, so you can walk up day of game? In this case, days after it was announced, tickets are still available at face. That's pretty good. "Next to impossible" are playoff or World Series tickets. This is not even remotely "next to impossible".

ewokpelts
02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
i ordered 40 tickets for a group in the lower deck through my rep. on monday.

C-Dawg
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Seriously though I have always been fine with Yankees fans at US Cellular.

I agree. Yankee fans aren't 1/20th the jerks Red Sox fans are.

I'll be there. Should be a great afternoon!

soxinem1
02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I think the tribute is cool, but I would have done it on the anniversary of his MLB debut. (or in proximity if they are on the road).

doublem23
02-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Not really. Would you prefer a mid-week game against the Pirates or something, so you can walk up day of game? In this case, days after it was announced, tickets are still available at face. That's pretty good. "Next to impossible" are playoff or World Series tickets. This is not even remotely "next to impossible".

HOLY ****ING ****.

I was unaware that the only choices would be a weekend game against the Yankees, games that already historically draw well or a weekday game against the Pirates and there's ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER GAMES available.

As for the hyperbole, that's a figure of speech that I wrongly assumed anyone with a third grade education could have figured out. Come on, dude, this isn't nuclear physics, it's basic English.

Yes, I wish the Sox had picked ANY OF THE OTHER WEEKEND GAMES not against the Cubs, Yankees, or Red Sox. Those teams draw on the road pretty well, I think Frank Thomas Day should have been on a day where Sox fans won't have added competition for tickets. Cheapest lower bowl tickets for this game on StubHub? A few for just under $70.

salty99
02-18-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm sure Frank had to have a say into when the tribute day is held as well.

comiskey2000
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Tickets are still available through the Sox (Ticketmaster). Would you prefer the game be sold out immediately? Anyone can go buy tickets right now. So they are not impossible to get at all.

#1swisher
02-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Not to set off a panic, but the Yankees are the
"Defending 2009 World Champions"

anewman35
02-18-2010, 07:52 PM
HOLY ****ING ****.

I was unaware that the only choices would be a weekend game against the Yankees, games that already historically draw well or a weekday game against the Pirates and there's ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER GAMES available.

As for the hyperbole, that's a figure of speech that I wrongly assumed anyone with a third grade education could have figured out. Come on, dude, this isn't nuclear physics, it's basic English.

Yes, I wish the Sox had picked ANY OF THE OTHER WEEKEND GAMES not against the Cubs, Yankees, or Red Sox. Those teams draw on the road pretty well, I think Frank Thomas Day should have been on a day where Sox fans won't have added competition for tickets. Cheapest lower bowl tickets for this game on StubHub? A few for just under $70.

I know English pretty well, thanks. I'm pretty sure "next to impossible to get" doesn't typically apply to tickets that are still available a week after the public on-sale. Now, your issue seems like it might be that you can't get the TYPE of tickets YOU want, but that's an entirely different issue. I'm honestly surprised they did it against the Yankees too (and wish they hadn't, because I would have liked to get cheaper tickets, too), but don't act like somehow the Sox are personally screwing you because you're too good for upper deck tickets or something.

Dub25
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I agree. Yankee fans aren't 1/20th the jerks Red Sox fans are.

I'll be there. Should be a great afternoon!

That's because most of the Red Sox fans at the Cell are not like our guy Fenway. They are Cub fans who still think the Red Sox are like them.

rookie
02-18-2010, 10:45 PM
I was going to get tickets, but my dad wanted the Friday night game instead because of his work schedule. Wierd thing is, when I went to Carsons to buy them (I had a Ticketmaster gift card which you can't use online for MLB tix) they said I had to order them over the phone. Apparently there is something special going on that night and the Ticketmaster locations can't sell the tickets. She called the Ticketmaster office and everything.

I have no idea what this is about, and I'm not getting my hopes up. For all I know, they blocked off the whole weekend for Frank ahead of time before they knew which date for sure.

I also wish they had picked another opponent besides the Yankees for Frank. Yankees/Sox is pricey. So there's no way I could go to two of those games, unless there are still some tix left by the time I get my tax refund, which I doubt. And dad loves watching the Yanks, so no Frank for me.

ChicagoHoosier
02-19-2010, 10:09 AM
When Hurt first announced his retirement and the Sox picked this date to honor him, I immediately went to Ticketmaster and there were decent seats in the UD, like row 10 in the infield, available. But, being cheap I didn't want to pay for ticketmaster fees so I was waiting for my buddy to to buy them on the Sox Charge Line.

Looks like my saving $5 per ticket may now cost me much more per ticket to go to a broker. Bumma. But I really want to go. I think it will be a historical day in Sox history and I want to be a part of it.

comiskey2000
02-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Looks like they are giving away Frank Thomas bobbleheads. This according to the promotions schedule on the Sox site.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=cws

SephClone89
02-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Looks like they are giving away Frank Thomas bobbleheads. This according to the promotions schedule on the Sox site.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=cws

Awesome. Dad and I will definitely make sure we get there early enough for that.

ChiSoxGirl
02-21-2010, 01:05 AM
I got a ticket this afternoon for this game!!! My sister, who loved Frank Thomas during his days on the Sox, also wanted to go to this game, so we were looking for a pair of tickets. Finding a pair of decent seats was a challenge, so we got online at the same time and search for two singles. As it turned out, she'll be sitting directly behind me in Sec. 156, so our strategy paid off. Can't wait to add a Frank Thomas bobblehead doll to my Sox collection!