PDA

View Full Version : White Sox planning move to FM in 2011?

Fenway
02-16-2010, 12:22 PM
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sherman.pl?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3af5555513-c950-4657-a93a-80db16fdf4adPost%3acebf912a-5edc-45e1-a54e-61df178b494f&sid=sitelife.chicagobusiness.com

Ed Sherman hints the White Sox may become part of a new sports radio station on FM

Given the roaring success in Boston of WBZ-FM in just 5 months it might be a smart move.

MinnySoxFan
02-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Will it be another Mike North product?

ewokpelts
02-16-2010, 12:51 PM
worth noting: sox have the 9th best radio ratings in all of baseball.

KenBerryGrab
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
That would stink for those of us semi-distant fans dependent on a strong AM signal to hear most of the games.

ewokpelts
02-16-2010, 12:59 PM
That would stink for those of us semi-distant fans dependent on a strong AM signal to hear most of the games.
mlb.com or xm

KenBerryGrab
02-16-2010, 01:01 PM
mlb.com or xm

Yeah, that's great for taking to the beach, sitting in the backyard, lounging on the patio....

Fenway
02-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Will it be another Mike North product?

Bet on it

AM radio is dying and may not even exist in another ten years. Transmitters require a lot of land and power while FM just needs a high building or tower.

In Montreal TWO Class A 50,000 clear channel signals shut down for good just two weeks ago (690 and 940) as they were losing money.

In Boston 50,000 watt WEEI has been top dog with all sports since 1991 and while other AM outlets tried to compete (including ESPN) nobody made a dent against them.

This past August CBS blew up 40 year rocker WBCN and created all sports WBZ-FM which is the radio home of the Pats and Bruins and they have now caught WEEI.

Fact of life - if you under 30 AM radio doesn't exist.

ewokpelts
02-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, that's great for taking to the beach, sitting in the backyard, lounging on the patio....
they sell boomboxes and car kits for xm

KenBerryGrab
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
And that XM subscription costs money.

Listen, I pay for Game Day Audio. I'm not taking a laptop to the lake.

Sox baseball belongs on the AM dial. Even when it was AM 1000, die hards would listen through the static and wait for night to fall.

thedudeabides
02-16-2010, 01:30 PM
This would be great. Working in the loop its impossible to get AM reception.

JohnnyInnsbrook
02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
And that XM subscription costs money.

Listen, I pay for Game Day Audio. I'm not taking a laptop to the lake.

Sox baseball belongs on the AM dial. Even when it was AM 1000, die hards would listen through the static and wait for night to fall.

That's why you bring your smart phone to the beach :D:.

Viva Medias B's
02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
The Sox should stay on WSCR-AM (670) simply because of the 50,000-watt signal. That helps us cultivate potential fans beyond Chicagoland. FM does nothing for us. We have a history with the 670 signal brand since the WMAQ days. Furthermore, there has been speculation that WSCR will become an FM sports talk station itself by taking over CBS Radio sibling WCFS-FM (105.9). With the Score on 670 AM and 105.9 FM, it could split coverage of live sporting events. For example, if DePaul and NIU basketball games were taking place at the same time, it could put one on AM and the other on FM. Adding FM carriage capacity could also allow the Score to acquire the rights of other teams in town.

The Cardinals moved off KMOX-AM (1120) and its 50,000-watt signal for the weaker KTRS-AM (550), and Cardinal Nation has yet to forgive them for it. As they are still kicking themselves over that move, there is some talk that the Redbirds could return to The Voice of St. Louis in 2011.

Also, with North's contract with CBS 2, would he be allowed to work for a potential competitor of WSCR?

gregoriop
I am under 30 and listen to almost all sports radio. The only time I turn on FM is for XRT.

Lip Man 1
Anything involving Mike North is eventually doomed to failure. Just look at the man's track record.

WHY would the Sox want to be associated with an imbecilic, arrogant, bigoted moron?

The capper for me was his appearance on Chicago Tribune Live! where the idiot said "all the Sox had to do was win one game the last week in 67' and they'd have been in the series..."

:?:

Making matters worse is that neither the host that day nor the panel said anything to rebuke him.

I don't have an issue with them moving to FM but having North a part of it? That's pure insanity... he brings NOTHING to the party and simply reinforces the "Chicago stereotype" (dat's right!)

Lip

SoxGirl4Life
02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
worth noting: sox have the 9th best radio ratings in all of baseball.

Thanks to Ed Farmer. I love that man!

esbrechtel
02-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Bet on it

AM radio is dying and may not even exist in another ten years. Transmitters require a lot of land and power while FM just needs a high building or tower.

In Montreal TWO Class A 50,000 clear channel signals shut down for good just two weeks ago (690 and 940) as they were losing money.

In Boston 50,000 watt WEEI has been top dog with all sports since 1991 and while other AM outlets tried to compete (including ESPN) nobody made a dent against them.

This past August CBS blew up 40 year rocker WBCN and created all sports WBZ-FM which is the radio home of the Pats and Bruins and they have now caught WEEI.

I am 25 and listen to AM every day...

MinnySoxFan
02-16-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm 23 and I love Talk Radio on the AM.

Fenway
02-16-2010, 02:08 PM
CBS is simulcasting WXYT AM in Detroit on FM and is doing well.

As Oblong knows WXYT is highly directional and at night the signal can't even make Ann Arbor.

WEEI in Boston is not allowed to beam west at night by the FCC to protect KOA in Denver and thus coverage is spotty in what is known as Metro-West which exploded in population after WWII. When the WEEI transmitter was designed there were nothing but cows there but now.

WEEI counters this with FM simulcasts in Providence and Springfield and a small AM in Worcester. WEEI is also simulcast in Portland and Bangor, Maine.

White Sox may have the 9th highest ratings in MLB but getting only 3 million a year for the rights is very low. Boston for example gets 16M just for radio.

doublem23
02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
The Sox should stay on WSCR-AM (670) simply because of the 50,000-watt signal. That helps us cultivate potential fans beyond Chicagoland. FM does nothing for us.

Are you trying to tell me that in this day in age when 161 games are on TV, the internet, satellite radio, iPhones, and ESPN provide round-the-clock updates, people's opinions are going to be swayed by what radio station the game is on?

Noneck
02-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Lip,

Do remember who else was on the Chicago Tribune Live panel? North is just a loud mouth and thinks if he talks loud enough, he will be looked at as correct.

North is around our age and should have known the facts of 67. The others on panel may have been younger and would not have known on the spot, so they couldn't call bs on him.

SephClone89
02-16-2010, 02:21 PM

20, listen to AM whenever I'm in the car (which is only when I'm home from school, obviously)

But doesn't every sports fan listen to AM radio, regardless of age? What else are they going to listen to?

Viva Medias B's
02-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Are you trying to tell me that in this day in age when 161 games are on TV, the internet, satellite radio, iPhones, and ESPN provide round-the-clock updates, people's opinions are going to be swayed by what radio station the game is on?

Boys, and probably girls too in this day and age, still listen to baseball games at night under their pillows.

SephClone89
02-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Boys, and probably girls too in this day and age, still listen to baseball games at night under their pillows.

Never did this, but had I a pocket radio I would have.

GoGoCrede
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
20, listen to AM whenever I'm in the car (which is only when I'm home from school, obviously)

But doesn't every sports fan listen to AM radio, regardless of age? What else are they going to listen to?

21 here and I listen to AM radio for the reasons you said.

I love doing this, especially when I'm doing chores, although I often lose track of who's on base. I don't know how you guys did it before TV! :D:

doublem23
02-16-2010, 02:37 PM

Sure they do.

GoGoCrede
02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Sure they do.

Doub, you are woefully out of touch with America's youth.

You're right. I'd rather watch than listen, but listening is better than not knowing what's going on with the game at all.

g0g0
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Don't know about pillows, but a warm summer night with a cool drink and a well-announced baseball game the radio on is one of the best!

Noneck
02-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Never did this, but had I a pocket radio I would have.

Very cheap, now at least and a mainstay in my life for 1/2 a century. btw: I call it a transistor radio, not pocket radio, so give one a shot, you may enjoy it.

SephClone89
02-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Very cheap, now at least and a mainstay in my life for 1/2 a century. btw: I call it a transistor radio, not pocket radio, so give one a shot, you may enjoy it.

I wanted to say transistor radio but wasn't sure if that was still the technically correct term for the new versions.

Noneck
02-16-2010, 02:57 PM
I wanted to say transistor radio but wasn't sure if that was still the technically correct term for the new versions.

Probably isn't correct but it will always be what I call it.

DSpivack
02-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Why can't they have it on WSCR and on FM? I want to say that the Braves had that setup when I lived in Atlanta [~4 years ago].

doublem23
02-16-2010, 03:28 PM
You're right. I'd rather watch than listen, but listening is better than not knowing what's going on with the game at all.

Oh, I agree, I probably listen to a ton of Sox games on the radio, I just don't think kids are making any decisions based on the radio. Radio broadcasts enhance the experience of people who are already fans, not bring in new ones.

TDog
02-16-2010, 03:31 PM

That may be true, but it is unfortunate that bottom-line-oriented industry moguls should kill a viable broadcast medium. AM radio (known in other countries as medium wave, because technically short wave and long wave also are amplitude modulation) can't provide the fidelity that FM can, but it can reach a wider area. It is perfect for sports and talk radio. I've driven stretches in northern British Columbia and the Yukon late at night when the only radio I could get was AM radio from the U.S. I listened to World Series games while driving through northern B.C. You have to get close to a community to pick up a CBC station on FM. I would hate to be forced to pay for radio anywhere, especially in my car, and I don't imagine I ever will.

Of course, if there are fewer AM stations, the FCC could allow more powerful AM broadcasting. But the interest of sports teams seems to be in getting people to pay to hear games.

I would rather see satellite radio die than see AM radio die.

Huisj
02-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Well, I'd be pissed.

I listen to Sox games in the car a lot in the summer. I'd have to go buy some dumb pod to mount on my dash and pay a bunch of money for to buy and to subscribe so I could hear a Sox game. And I'd have to mount it and demount it each time so I would have some thing sticking up in my car that would be a target for thieves. That sounds just dandy and convenient. :mad:

Medford Bobby
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
mlb.com or xm
This is the way of the future...St. Louis Cardinal fans have to put up with a 500 watt AM that most St. Louis fans fans bearly hear at night so they HAVE to get MLB.com or XM.:whiner:

soxfanreggie
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Too bad that fact doesn't apply to everyone under 30.

SephClone89
02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, I'd be pissed.

I listen to Sox games in the car a lot in the summer. I'd have to go buy some dumb pod to mount on my dash and pay a bunch of money for to buy and to subscribe so I could hear a Sox game. And I'd have to mount it and demount it each time so I would have some thing sticking up in my car that would be a target for thieves. That sounds just dandy and convenient. :mad:

:scratch:
Nobody's saying that the Sox going to FM would mean an immediate switch to paid radio...

KenBerryGrab
02-16-2010, 04:16 PM
:scratch:
Nobody's saying that the Sox going to FM would mean an immediate switch to paid radio...

He's in Michigan. The FM signal wouldn't reach him.

SephClone89
02-16-2010, 04:22 PM

You mean 670 gets all the way to Lansing? Wow. I don't even get ANY AM here in my dorm. I pretty much NEED to subscribe to mlb.com to get the games I miss out on on WCIU or CSN+ (or the FOX game that inevitably isn't shown here, because THE CARDINALS are on).

thedudeabides
02-16-2010, 04:31 PM

I work and live in Chicago and the AM signal doesn't reach me. If you're in a building above the second or third floor, you are out of luck.

The ratings boosts in the city could be pretty big from moving to FM. I doubt the small amount of out of market listeners will matter much, considering the boost they could get from FM marketing. Especially, considering there are alternatives now. I spend a couple weeks in Wisconson and Michigan in the summer and have had very little luck getting AM signals, as is.

Nellie_Fox
02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
You mean 670 gets all the way to Lansing? Wow. I don't even get ANY AM here in my dorm. I can get it at night here in Mankato, particularly in the car.

white sox bill
02-16-2010, 04:55 PM
As long as this doesn't smack of Sportsvision, I'd be open for it. Would a feed still be available for smaller markets via local AM or FM stations?

KenBerryGrab
02-16-2010, 05:08 PM
I spend a couple weeks in Wisconson and Michigan in the summer and have had very little luck getting AM signals, as is.

You need one of these. :D:

http://www.radiotimeline.com/ar-ge-superadio_III.jpg

Huisj
02-16-2010, 05:11 PM

You mean 670 gets all the way to Lansing? Wow. I don't even get ANY AM here in my dorm. I pretty much NEED to subscribe to mlb.com to get the games I miss out on on WCIU or CSN+ (or the FOX game that inevitably isn't shown here, because THE CARDINALS are on).

I work and live in Chicago and the AM signal doesn't reach me. If you're in a building above the second or third floor, you are out of luck.

The ratings boosts in the city could be pretty big from moving to FM. I doubt the small amount of out of market listeners will matter much, considering the boost they could get from FM marketing. Especially, considering there are alternatives now. I spend a couple weeks in Wisconson and Michigan in the summer and have had very little luck getting AM signals, as is.

I can get it at night here in Mankato, particularly in the car.

I can listen to 670, 780, and 1000 pretty stinking clear in my car at any time of the day. I've been doing that my whole life. I can pick up 670 pretty easily on my old analog clock radio to listen to games at night in bed, which I've also been doing my whole life.

TDog
02-16-2010, 05:30 PM

The White Sox went from WMAQ (AM 670) to a group of FM stations in 1971. The flagship station broadcast from atop the Hancock Building. There wasn't any ratings boost. I grew up in Northwest Indiana, and you lost the signal somewhere in Lake County. When I went to college downstate, the Sox were back on AM, and I could get the games in Bloomington, Indiana.

You could get the Cubs on the radio, too, of course. If the Sox leave FM, you'll still be able to get the Cubs all over Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois. You just won't be able to listen to the Sox anymore.

When I lived in suburban Milwaukee, I could listen to Sox games clearly on WMVP in my car and on my clock radio in my kitchen.

tebman
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
AM radio is a dear old friend of mine. For nighttime listening across thousands of miles, a full-power AM signal can't be beat, which makes it ideal for baseball.

Having said that, I have to reluctantly agree with Fenway. The broadcast industry has shot itself in the foot so many times in so many ways, that it's amazing that AM broadcasting still exists at all. They've allowed technical standards to deteriorate, and they've looked the other way while power supplies, ignition sytems, light dimmers, and microprocessors have created so much electrical noise that listening to all but the most powerful AM stations is uncomfortable and fatiguing.

What should happen is the AM band should be cleared of all the underbrush and clutter: the little 1,000-watt stations that are running on autopilot and losing money should be shut down, and the 50,000-watt big guns like WSCR, WGN, and WLS should remain to cover 30 states at night like they do so well. FM can be used as the music service it is now, and maybe it can morph into data transmission in the future. Your kids and grandkids are going to be listening to wireless internet services that will offer thousands of custom choices. Broad-appeal things like baseball games can be carried best over long distances by AM radio.

That's what should happen, but I don't have confidence that the industry has the savvy to do it. Like I said, AM radio is an old friend. I'll miss it when it's gone.

thedudeabides
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
The White Sox went from WMAQ (AM 670) to a group of FM stations in 1971. The flagship station broadcast from atop the Hancock Building. There wasn't any ratings boost. I grew up in Northwest Indiana, and you lost the signal somewhere in Lake County. When I went to college downstate, the Sox were back on AM, and I could get the games in Bloomington, Indiana.

You could get the Cubs on the radio, too, of course. If the Sox leave FM, you'll still be able to get the Cubs all over Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois. You just won't be able to listen to the Sox anymore.

When I lived in suburban Milwaukee, I could listen to Sox games clearly on WMVP in my car and on my clock radio in my kitchen.

The radio market is quite different from what it was in 1971. A friend of mine works in radio advertising sales and tells me that the adverstising dollars are bigger on the FM side, and the local audience is larger. As Fenway mentioned, other markets are having success with it. I'm sure it's a financially motivated decision, which I would be in favor of.

I guess I just don't buy into the consistancy of long distance reception on AM. I went to school in central Illinois. In both Charleston and Champaign my friends and I had a hard time getting Sox and Cubs games. Sometimes, they would come in, but it was far from regular. I've had the same issue in Delavin, Wi, and Kalamazoo, Mi. Sometimes, they are clear, the majority it's a pain to listen to because the quality is so poor or non-existant.

And in my office in the loop, about half the guys pay for game day audio because we can't get AM on the third floor.

Fenway
02-16-2010, 07:43 PM
AM radio is a dear old friend of mine. For nighttime listening across thousands of miles, a full-power AM signal can't be beat, which makes it ideal for baseball.

Having said that, I have to reluctantly agree with Fenway. The broadcast industry has shot itself in the foot so many times in so many ways, that it's amazing that AM broadcasting still exists at all. They've allowed technical standards to deteriorate, and they've looked the other way while power supplies, ignition sytems, light dimmers, and microprocessors have created so much electrical noise that listening to all but the most powerful AM stations is uncomfortable and fatiguing.

What should happen is the AM band should be cleared of all the underbrush and clutter: the little 1,000-watt stations that are running on autopilot and losing money should be shut down, and the 50,000-watt big guns like WSCR, WGN, and WLS should remain to cover 30 states at night like they do so well. FM can be used as the music service it is now, and maybe it can morph into data transmission in the future. Your kids and grandkids are going to be listening to wireless internet services that will offer thousands of custom choices. Broad-appeal things like baseball games can be carried best over long distances by AM radio.

That's what should happen, but I don't have confidence that the industry has the savvy to do it. Like I said, AM radio is an old friend. I'll miss it when it's gone.

Tebman

Throw in the AM HD fiasco known as IBOC which just makes listening to AM in rural areas that much harder. For example the HD hash from WBZ at 1030 just knocks out KDKA in upstate NY.

AM in Canada is almost dead. Clear channels 690, 940 and 1070 have gone silent and CBC has moved everything to FM. Most private AM outlets have also moved to FM.

Of course the White Sox moving to FM could mean more stations outside Chicago joining the network.

Medford Bobby
02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
The radio market is quite different from what it was in 1971. A friend of mine works in radio advertising sales and tells me that the adverstising dollars are bigger on the FM side, and the local audience is larger. As Fenway mentioned, other markets are having success with it. I'm sure it's a financially motivated decision, which I would be in favor of.

I guess I just don't buy into the consistancy of long distance reception on AM. I went to school in central Illinois. In both Charleston and Champaign my friends and I had a hard time getting Sox and Cubs games. Sometimes, they would come in, but it was far from regular. I've had the same issue in Delavin, Wi, and Kalamazoo, Mi. Sometimes, they are clear, the majority it's a pain to listen to because the quality is so poor or non-existant.

And in my office in the loop, about half the guys pay for game day audio because we can't get AM on the third floor.

Blame that on radios that don't put any decent technologies in AM radio any more. Everything is geared toward FM circuitry. The radio industry is trying hard to get new I-Pods and other music devices to at least have an FM receiver in them, so they are not even thinking about AM radio anymore....

Oblong
02-16-2010, 07:49 PM
CBS is simulcasting WXYT AM in Detroit on FM and is doing well.

As Oblong knows WXYT is highly directional and at night the signal can't even make Ann Arbor.

WXYT is horrible in the evening. It takes me 20 minutes to get from my house to my seat at Comerica and I even have trouble picking it up. They became the flagship for the Tigers/Wings about 10 years ago from WJR, a Clear Channel (radio term, not the company) station. They took a huge PR hit for it but I guess financially it makes sense.

There is a romance to picking up basball on AM. As a kid I'd listen to the Tigers on WJR while in TN visiting family. The crackling and all that. When I delivered pizza in college, for some reason when it snowed I'd get AM1000 out of Chicago. I'd also get KMOX. That was a lot of fun driving around in the snow hearing all of that.

But times are changing. It's a dying technology.

Medford Bobby
02-16-2010, 07:54 PM
WXYT is horrible in the evening. It takes me 20 minutes to get from my house to my seat at Comerica and I even have trouble picking it up. They became the flagship for the Tigers/Wings about 10 years ago from WJR, a Clear Channel (radio term, not the company) station. They took a huge PR hit for it but I guess financially it makes sense.

There is a romance to picking up basball on AM. As a kid I'd listen to the Tigers on WJR while in TN visiting family. The crackling and all that. When I delivered pizza in college, for some reason when it snowed I'd get AM1000 out of Chicago. I'd also get KMOX. That was a lot of fun driving around in the snow hearing all of that.

I use to come home at lunch time from school on Opening Day and turn on my Dad's Zenith Transoceanic and pick up in DAYTIME the first pitches of the Cardinals, Tigers and Reds.....

http://www.radiointel.com/Radpic/zenith/zenith-royal-d700y-1.jpg
The best radio that USE TOO come out of Chicago.....

ewokpelts
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Boys, and probably girls too in this day and age, still listen to baseball games at night under their pillows.no. they get text alerts..

rdwj
02-16-2010, 08:04 PM
I'll be glad to have the better sound quality - well worth the loss of distance for me.

tebman
02-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I'll be glad to have the better sound quality - well worth the loss of distance for me.

And I think you'll get your wish. Ball games might be on FM stations for a few years but I expect there will eventually be some combination of WiFi and satellite transmission that will make obsolete what we know now as broadcasting.

The beauty of AM is that it's simple. You can still wrap wire in a coil around an oatmeal box, hang a long wire off of it and scratch across that coil with a crystal diode connected to an earpiece. You'll hear a signal. Obviously that's no comparison to thousands of channels of digital transmission, but that's also what mystifies me about why the industry has let such a simple technology go to seed.

AM stations in general sound pretty bad. But the reason they do is because the receivers have been made so poorly for the last 30+ years that you only hear around 2.5 kHz (about the same as a telephone) of the 10 kHz audio coming out of the transmitter. The radios are made poorly because they're made cheaply -- the electronics are just a few notches above the oatmeal-box coil.

After FM receiver circuits were commoditized into IC chips in the early 1970s, it was easy and cheap for manufacturers to make a good-sounding FM radio. Since FM was the Next Big Thing in low-cost radios, the technical effort went into improving those and essentially ignoring the AM side. Lazy AM broadcasters relied on listener habit and inertia until FM ratings overtook AM ratings. There was never an effort to improve technical standards except the clumsy attempt to do AM-stereo in the early 1980s. By the late '80s the broadcast companies were happy to count their money from the FM station and simply ignored their AM properties. And here we are.

More's the pity. I still love to hear a ball game come through the air at night from KOA in Denver or WLW in Cincinnati or WTAM in Cleveland or KDKA in Pittsburgh, and I can do it with a ten-dollar radio instead of a thousand-dollar wireless PC. The White Sox may well go to FM and there won't be much I can do about it. But I'll miss listening to the game as I'm driving to Kentucky to visit my daughter.

Brian26
02-16-2010, 09:31 PM
This is a great thread. Kudos to Tebman and Fenway.

Brian26
02-16-2010, 09:42 PM
More's the pity. I still love to hear a ball game come through the air at night from KOA in Denver or WLW in Cincinnati or WTAM in Cleveland or KDKA in Pittsburgh, and I can do it with a ten-dollar radio instead of a thousand-dollar wireless PC. The White Sox may well go to FM and there won't be much I can do about it. But I'll miss listening to the game as I'm driving to Kentucky to visit my daughter.

The farthest station I ever tuned in was WSB from Atlanta in the early 90s. I used to listen to the Braves games during the summer if the Sox had played an early game or were off. I was able to find WFAN out of New York in the early 90s very late at night on the weekends, which is amazing since the frequency was 660 AM, immediately next to WMAQ on the dial.

NDSox12
02-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Believe it or not, I'm able to get 670 in my car out here near DC at night. I couldn't care less if the Sox switch to FM though since I can get Gameday Audio on my phone anywhere I want. A couple years ago, I would have been upset about this.

cnw8052
02-16-2010, 10:29 PM
This will totally suck IMO. I was thrilled when the Sox went back to 670, as AM 1000 was impossible to get here. We already can't get the FOX and WCIU games on our cable, now we'll lose the radio too?? :angry:

doublem23
02-16-2010, 11:08 PM
This will totally suck IMO. I was thrilled when the Sox went back to 670, as AM 1000 was impossible to get here. We already can't get the FOX and WCIU games on our cable, now we'll lose the radio too?? :angry:

Gameday Audio is your friend. $15 for the season, well worth every penny.

madisonsoxfan
02-16-2010, 11:14 PM
I pay Directv to get Sox games in HD and I pay for gameday audio so I can listen at work. But subscribing to satellite radio for the car and for cookouts is unlikely for me. So I hope they stay on 670. My car and home radios have no trouble pulling in 670 here in WI.

Chicago5oooh
02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Gameday Audio is your friend. $15 for the season, well worth every penny.

+1

Best investment for a baseball fan, period.

tebman
02-16-2010, 11:26 PM
A contrary view on whether this idea of a third Chicago sports station will fly: *link* (http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/features/blogs/259-a-third-sports-talk-station-for-chicago)

It's a Chicago radio-business blog that talks about the costs of starting a new station, and that nobody in that business has much money right now.

Maybe this idea is like one of Bruce Levine's trade rumors.

Huisj
02-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Tebman

Of course the White Sox moving to FM could mean more stations outside Chicago joining the network.

I highly doubt a White Sox affiliate network, even driven by it being more desirable because of a switch to FM, would ever have a station far enough east into Indiana that could reach here to mid Michigan. No chance at all.

I also remember going up north on retreats for things when I was a little kid and hiding a little radio and headphones in my bag (wasn't supposed to have it) and somehow picking up KMOX at night in the cabins. These retreats were always in September, and finding a station that would update scores for the day was a goldmine. It was such a thrill.

I pay Directv to get Sox games in HD and I pay for gameday audio so I can listen at work. But subscribing to satellite radio for the car and for cookouts is unlikely for me. So I hope they stay on 670. My car and home radios have no trouble pulling in 670 here in WI.

I guess this is my whole qualm: I can't keep paying through the nose (ok, through the nose relative to my economic status as a student) to get umpteen different sorts of ways to keep up with Sox games. At least, I could always depend on finding it on an AM radio station. I pay a bunch of extra money in my cable here just to get stinking WGN so I can get the lousy 30 games a year that they show--yes, on my cable, they put a few key stations like WGN, TBS, TNT, and Fox Sports Detroit on a higher tier that adds a sort of hefty amount to it, and there isn't much I can do about it unless I move because it's just who my apartment complex contracts with. Adding costs for computer feeds of games and then maybe satellite radio feeds for the car really seems like an irresponsible thing for me to do.

I guess it was naive of me to think that I'd always be able to depend on AM radio for baseball games. The rich get richer, and I guess you either play by their rules or you fall behind...I guess I'm falling behind. At 26, I'm already an old fart.

Viva Medias B's
02-17-2010, 08:05 AM
A contrary view on whether this idea of a third Chicago sports station will fly: *link* (http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/features/blogs/259-a-third-sports-talk-station-for-chicago)

It's a Chicago radio-business blog that talks about the costs of starting a new station, and that nobody in that business has much money right now.

Maybe this idea is like one of Bruce Levine's trade rumors.

That is why I don't see it happening. If Rod Zimmerman says that WSCR will take over 105.9, it's all over.

Oblong
02-17-2010, 08:29 AM
A nice personal benefit to the Tigers being on FM is that during day games I can listen on my mp3 player because it's got an FM transmitter. Listening on my clock radio through AM was dicey because I'd have to turn it up and then worry about it bothering others. Sometimes static would pop up or you'd get a whistle or something. But with my headphones it's as loud as I want and crystal clear. Just something to consider for you folks if this happens. It took me 2 seasons to realize I could do this. A "well duh!" moment.

tsoxman
02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
$3,000,000 seems like a pittance for the radio braodcast rights, and for that reason alone, I would strongly consider another option if I were the Sox.

I will bring up one point, however. It always seems that our fandom (and at times in the past, ownership) harps and complains about that lack of media coverage that the Sox get in town. We are constantly obsessing about how much more attention the Cubs get.

Isn't it hard, though to get that attention and fan loyalty when we are shifting radio outlets every five years? Not to mention the several occasions when the organization has made some very puzzling (and cheap) moves related to the staffing of the announcing teams.

I always cringe everytime Jerry wants to change something on the radio and TV side of things.

TommyJohn
02-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Anything involving Mike North is eventually doomed to failure. Just look at the man's track record.

WHY would the Sox want to be associated with an imbecilic, arrogant, bigoted moron?

The capper for me was his appearance on Chicago Tribune Live! where the idiot said "all the Sox had to do was win one game the last week in 67' and they'd have been in the series..."

:?:

Making matters worse is that neither the host that day nor the panel said anything to rebuke him.

I don't have an issue with them moving to FM but having North a part of it? That's pure insanity... he brings NOTHING to the party and simply reinforces the "Chicago stereotype" (dat's right!)

LipAnother one of North's gems was about the 2001 Seattle Mariners:

:ass

"DAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Da Mariners won a hunnert and sixteen games in two t'ousand one and loss in da first round of da playoffs!!!! And I wanna say hi to Louie Lips And Charlie Culo in da Outfit! DAAAAHHHHHH!!!!"

North stated, more than once, that the 2001 Mariners lost in the first round. They actually lost in the ALCS to the Yankees. NO ONE, not that synchopantic suck ass Huebner nor anyone else, ever bothered to correct him.

Mendoza Line
02-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Why can't they have it on WSCR and on FM? I want to say that the Braves had that setup when I lived in Atlanta [~4 years ago].

WSCR technically does has an FM signal. It is 104.3 HD-2. You need an HD radio to catch it, but it does exist.

Huisj
02-17-2010, 09:57 AM
How did the Bulls' switch to FM radio go a couple years back? They ended up back on AM 1000 after just one season because it seemed like a disaster.

SephClone89
02-17-2010, 10:01 AM
I always cringe everytime Jerry wants to change something on the radio and TV side of things.

Bringing Stone onto the radio team then swapping him with DJ was a terrific move. Is the radio team almost unlistenable now? Yes. Is the TV broadcast significantly improved? YES.

ewokpelts
02-17-2010, 10:38 AM
$3,000,000 seems like a pittance for the radio braodcast rights, and for that reason alone, I would strongly consider another option if I were the Sox.

I will bring up one point, however. It always seems that our fandom (and at times in the past, ownership) harps and complains about that lack of media coverage that the Sox get in town. We are constantly obsessing about how much more attention the Cubs get.

Isn't it hard, though to get that attention and fan loyalty when we are shifting radio outlets every five years? Not to mention the several occasions when the organization has made some very puzzling (and cheap) moves related to the staffing of the announcing teams.

I always cringe everytime Jerry wants to change something on the radio and TV side of things.sox have no power over changes in the broadcast booths. again, jerry fought to keep farmer and rooney together, but wscr wanted cost cutting.

ewokpelts
02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
How did the Bulls' switch to FM radio go a couple years back? They ended up back on AM 1000 after just one season because it seemed like a disaster.105.9 had a format change. and the bulls had an opt out. i imagine they would have stayed if it was a sports talk station.

Paulwny
02-17-2010, 12:28 PM
When I lived in Buffalo, NY Iwas able to listen to 670 and 1000 in the evening. Under ideal conditiions AM 1000 came in as good as any local Buffalo station.

tsoxman
02-17-2010, 01:00 PM
sox have no power over changes in the broadcast booths. again, jerry fought to keep farmer and rooney together, but wscr wanted cost cutting.

I do not beieve that in the least. Who was it that hired Stone, then (actually one of the few great media hires by the Sox)?

ewokpelts
02-17-2010, 01:44 PM
I do not beieve that in the least. Who was it that hired Stone, then (actually one of the few great media hires by the Sox)?the score, as they were in the lurch due to singleton leaving.

yes, the sox have INPUT on the decision, but the final call was wscr.

Lip Man 1
02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Read my interview with Brooks Boyer for a more detailed understanding of the Sox broadcast situation:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3534

Lip

HomeFish
02-17-2010, 03:21 PM
I sat for a good 30 seconds trying to figure out which spring training location "FM" was supposed to be, before realizing this wasn't about spring training at all.

cnw8052
02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Gaemday audio is not an option. You can't have the computer strapped to your side while working outside, riding a bike, driving, etc.

+1

Best investment for a baseball fan, period.

Viva Medias B's
02-17-2010, 08:34 PM
sox have no power over changes in the broadcast booths. again, jerry fought to keep farmer and rooney together, but wscr wanted cost cutting.

Rooney wanted to go to St. Louis. That is why he didn't sign with WSCR.

Brian26
02-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Rooney wanted to go to St. Louis. That is why he didn't sign with WSCR.

I think part of the reason he wanted to go to St. Louis is because the Sox insulted him with a contract offer that was LESS than what he was already being paid.

I'll continue to argue this as I have since 2005. The Sox have been embarrassingly wishy-washy on their story ever since this happened. At one point the excuse was that WSCR had control of the announcers, which was as ludicrous then as it is now. The announcers have always been employed by the organization. The Sox let the best radio pbp announcer leave without a fight. Rooney should have been offered a contract that was fitting for an 18-year employee who was ranked the best play-by-play guy in the game.

ChiSoxGirl
02-17-2010, 09:51 PM
I think part of the reason he wanted to go to St. Louis is because the Sox insulted him with a contract offer that was LESS than what he was already being paid.

I'll continue to argue this as I have since 2005. The Sox have been embarrassingly wishy-washy on their story ever since this happened. At one point the excuse was that WSCR had control of the announcers, which was as ludicrous then as it is now. The announcers have always been employed by the organization. The Sox let the best radio pbp announcer leave without a fight. Rooney should have been offered a contract that was fitting for an 18-year employee who was ranked the best play-by-play guy in the game.

Absolutely, 100% agree with everything you said. :thumbsup:

Ranger
02-17-2010, 10:44 PM

the score, as they were in the lurch due to singleton leaving.

yes, the sox have INPUT on the decision, but the final call was wscr.

Very, very wrong. The Sox have the ultimate say in their radio broadcast team, which is how it is pretty much everywhere. The station will help in searching for an announcer, but they do not get the final call. It's actually the exact opposite of my situation: the team got to be part of the interview process, but the station gets the final say.

Brian26
02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Very, very wrong. The Sox have the ultimate say in their radio broadcast team, which is how it is pretty much everywhere. The station will help in searching for an announcer, but they do not get the final call.

Unfortunately, Sox fans were lied to about this for a couple of years after Rooney left. It made no sense then, and it doesn't now. The company line was that WSCR was in charge of handling the contract negotiations, which is ludicrous.

Noneck
02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Very, very wrong. The Sox have the ultimate say in their radio broadcast team, which is how it is pretty much everywhere. The station will help in searching for an announcer, but they do not get the final call. It's actually the exact opposite of my situation: the team got to be part of the interview process, but the station gets the final say.

Makes sense because you do whatever work at the station that they want you to, beside your Sox work. DJ and Farmer seem to be responsible for only announcing Sox games and the Sox should have the right to make that decision.

ilsox7
02-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately, Sox fans were lied to about this for a couple of years after Rooney left. It made no sense then, and it doesn't now. The company line was that WSCR was in charge of handling the contract negotiations, which is ludicrous.

Well, if I were the Sox and I hired Ed Farmer, Singleton, and DJ, I would try to put the blame on someone else, too. :D:

Lip Man 1
02-18-2010, 12:19 AM
From Brooks Boyer.

He seems to be skirting somewhat the opinion offered by Ranger. Chris says the Sox have the final call, Brooks in his interview with me seemed to indicate it was a collaborative process:

ML: To start this area, I’d like to know how much say do you and the Sox have in broadcast hiring?

BB: “We have a significant amount of input. If we don’t want someone or if say, WSCR radio doesn’t want someone, either party can veto the choice.

It’s a collaborative process, both of us have a large say in the matter. For example, and I’m just using this name, not that he was ever a candidate, if WSCR radio came to us and said we want Mike North in the Sox broadcasting booth, we’d say no. Why would we want someone who is going to knock our product or be very critical of it?”

Lip

ewokpelts
02-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Very, very wrong. The Sox have the ultimate say in their radio broadcast team, which is how it is pretty much everywhere. The station will help in searching for an announcer, but they do not get the final call. It's actually the exact opposite of my situation: the team got to be part of the interview process, but the station gets the final say.i'm just going off what we were told over the years.

Sad
02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
You need one of these. :D:

http://www.radiotimeline.com/ar-ge-superadio_III.jpg

I have 2 of them

Frontman
02-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Could this just be a case of them not understanding that WSCR also wants to simulcast on FM as well?

Medford Bobby
02-18-2010, 06:16 PM
I have 2 of them

The GE Superradio 2 was a much better radio of the 3 models....easy to find at second hand stores very cheap, maybe for only 10 bucks...(I paid 7 dollars for mine!!)
http://webspace.webring.com/people/mr/rbrucecarter/superadio2.jpg

Medford Bobby
02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Just look at the Harry Caray situation after the currents owners bought the Sox.....Sure Harry did not want to be broadcasting on a then small paid TV audience , but straight up Jerry and ownership really did not want to keep Harry.....:whiner: