PDA

View Full Version : Should Frank Thomas be a hitting coach?

Madscout
02-15-2010, 06:13 PM
What do you think?

I don't know myself. He certainly was a great hitter, and a premier talent. But sometimes guys like that who are just naturals don't know how to help guys who struggle.

voodoochile
02-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see him working with minor league guys. Not to teach his hitting style but to talk about how to watch pitchers and approach being a professional hitter. I recall Rowand giving Frank lots of praise for helping him become more in tune with what pitchers were throwing and what to look for.

Not everyone can hit like Frank, but if he can teach people to see what he sees, he'd be a HUGE boon to whatever club he works with. Hopefully that's the Sox in some capacity.

Daver
02-15-2010, 06:33 PM
I'd like to see him working with minor league guys. Not to teach his hitting style but to talk about how to watch pitchers and approach being a professional hitter. I recall Rowand giving Frank lots of praise for helping him become more in tune with what pitchers were throwing and what to look for.

Not everyone can hit like Frank, but if he can teach people to see what he sees, he'd be a HUGE boon to whatever club he works with. Hopefully that's the Sox in some capacity.

The problem is there are very few players that can develop the discipline to embrace Hriniak's style, it's a lot more than just pitch selection, that is why Robin always struggled with it.

Dibbs
02-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I am sure he is a better hitting coach than Greg Walker. So, yes is my answer.

SI1020
02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Oh no, not again. As for Frank coaching I think he's earned the right to give it a try, step by step in the right way if he'd like to. I'd really like to see him come back to the team in some capacity.

oeo
02-15-2010, 10:12 PM

He helped Uribe, too.

Slappy
02-15-2010, 10:38 PM
...I think he's earned the right to give it a try, step by step in the right way if he'd like to. I'd really like to see him come back to the team in some capacity.

I agree, but I can also understand some other good points brought up.

Frank was a great natural talent, so maybe his technical teaching skills wouldn't be the greatest. I mean, Frank had a great eye and could read the ball really well off the pitchers hand. Some things you can't teach. But who knows, really...

Would you rather have a guy like Frank or TCQ coaching you? They both have natural talent, but TCQ is pretty cerebral with his whole approach at the plate.

russ99
02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Don't get me started... :D:

But seriously, I'm happy with the effort Walk has put in this offseason to get Rios and Quentin back on track. Hopefully it pays off.

With less homer-or-nothing hitters, this year we'll see how good or bad our hitting instructor is.

Besides, I can't see Frank getting the job outright. He'd need to spend a few years in the minors. But that would be a good thing, some of our hitting prospects would do well with a Hriniak-style approach, especially Flowers. Also, Mitchell is likely a project due to his late start in baseball, Frank could take him under his wing and get his career jumping.

voodoochile
02-15-2010, 11:09 PM
The problem is there are very few players that can develop the discipline to embrace Hriniak's style, it's a lot more than just pitch selection, that is why Robin always struggled with it.

No, I'm not suggesting he be a hitting instructor. Maybe he'd actually be better suited as a first base coach where he could watch the pitcher more and then give tips through the game. That's what I'm talking about, teaching pitch recognition. I don't know if that qualifies as a hitting coach or some newfangled job description. I figure there has to be a place in the organization with someone who understands so much about all the various aspects of hitting.

I agree that his/Hrniak's/Lau's style of hitting isn't for everyone or even most players.

Rohan
02-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Start in the minors. I honestly don't know how good he is at teaching. I know he can learn and teach himself. But being an incredible hitter doesn't automatically translate to being a good hitting coach.

rdwj
02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Frank is a great hitter, but he's also a HUGE crybaby. I'l like to remember him fondly for what he's done for the team, but I don't really want any more of the Frank drama.

Foulke You
02-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Frank is a great hitter, but he's also a HUGE crybaby. I'l like to remember him fondly for what he's done for the team, but I don't really want any more of the Frank drama.
:rolleyes:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
I voted for "Yes, in the minors" because he needs to "work his way up".

Just because you were a good Major League hitter doesn't mean you can coach others on how to hit well. That being said, I'd like him to polish off his "coaching skills" by starting off in the minors.

Dibbs
02-16-2010, 05:21 PM
How many other Hall of Fame type players started coaching in the minors? Do you guys know what you are talking about, or is it normal to start in the minors? Did Ozzie start in the minors?

jabrch
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Does he want to? I mean - does he want to start in the minoirs, riding buses, learning how to teach people to hit? Does he have the demeanor an instructor needs to have? Can he translate what he knows to all types of hitters? Can he teach bunting? Can he teach a guy how to go behind runners? Can he teach how to protect a base stealer?

Frank was a great hitter - no doubt. But a great hitter and a great hitting coach are two different animals. If he wants to do it, and he can do it, then he should take a shot. But that's a lot of work when done right.

(Inset tired old Greg Walker playing cards joke here.)

Has Frank ever expressed interest in coaching?

Stoky44
02-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I mean, Frank had a great eye and could read the ball really well off the pitchers hand. Some things you can't teach. But who knows, really...

Maybe his eye was one of the best in history.

However, it really bugged me how he was really could not stand in the box with inside curves. For me I thought, especially later in his career, that he hated inside pitches, even the ones over the plate. Also as a side I was just thinking how you brought up TCQ, and how TCQ is the complete opposite of Frank, standing practically over and on the strike zone.

TDog
02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I am sure he is a better hitting coach than Greg Walker. So, yes is my answer.

I doubt that he could be nearly as good a hitting coach as Walker. I don't even know that Thomas wants to be a hitting coach.