PDA

View Full Version : Damon etc. 2 Thread...

Pages : [1] 2

Rockabilly
02-15-2010, 12:08 PM
any new updates on the Damon situation?

voodoochile
02-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Seems like a solid way to start the next phase of the old thread which was pushing 500 posts anyway...

Marqhead
02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Isn't he supposed to make a decision this week? Other than that, I don't think there is anything new.

whitem0nkey
02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
for those of us who have been out of the loop over the weekend anything develop since Thursday?

Corlose 15
02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
It sems like all the reports you hear are conflicting. Heyman says it's down to the Sox and Tigers. Everyone you hear in the Chicago media says the Sox aren't serious bidders. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

oeo
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Isn't he supposed to make a decision this week? Other than that, I don't think there is anything new.

The rumor was he was going to come to a decision by the end of last week, but obviously with Spring Training starting, it will probably come this week.

psyclonis
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Basically it's down to the Sox, Tigers and Braves.
All sides think they're being fed trash w/ all of the rumors.

Currently the top reported offers are 7M/1 and 14M/2 from the Tigers.

Since he hasn't accepted the Tigers 14M/2 offer, most think Damon would take a one year deal to play for the Sox if they match the Tigers 1 year offer.

The reasons for Damon signing with the Sox: Mostly DH, friendlier park, better team/city, friends with AJ.

TheOldRoman
02-15-2010, 01:32 PM
By the way this thing is playing out, I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers were the team who was never really in on it, and their name was the one being floated to up the Sox' offer and get the Braves back into the bidding. This is really weird. If the Tigers really offered Damon 2/$14, that deal would have been signed a week ago.

SoxyStu
02-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Since he hasn't accepted the Tigers 14M/2 offer, most think Damon would take a one year deal to play for the Sox if they match the Tigers 1 year offer.

The reasons for Damon signing with the Sox: Mostly DH, friendlier park, better team/city, friends with AJ.

AJ has friends? :o: hehe

DumpJerry
02-15-2010, 01:39 PM

Since the parties are not allowed to reveal with whom they are talking to or what offers are on the table (this is how Borass got the Rangers to up their bid against a non-existent competitor for A-Rod), it cannot be said what offer(s) was/were made and what offer(s) was/were rejected.

For all we know, he mind wind up with the Angels......

johnnyg83
02-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I still cannot figure out why a guy of Damon's age looking for a multi-year deal would not accept a 2/14 from Detroit.

Something's rotten ...

oeo
02-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I still cannot figure out why a guy of Damon's age looking for a multi-year deal would not accept a 2/14 from Detroit.

Something's rotten ...

Let me start off by saying I think that deal was BS, but maybe he doesn't want to spend two years in Detroit (or anywhere for that matter, except for probably New York)? There's speculation that he wants to finish his career close to home in Tampa Bay, but the Rays just don't have the room right now.

dwalteroo
02-15-2010, 02:36 PM
The way this thing is playing out, I wouldn't be surprised to find out Johnny Damon doesn't even exist.

Taliesinrk
02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Since the parties are not allowed to reveal with whom they are talking to or what offers are on the table (this is how Borass got the Rangers to up their bid against a non-existent competitor for A-Rod), it cannot be said what offer(s) was/were made and what offer(s) was/were rejected.

For all we know, he mind wind up with the Angels......

Is this an MLB rule?

DaveFeelsRight
02-15-2010, 02:44 PM
it was stated on friday that damon won't sign till this week.

Carolina Kenny
02-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Amongst other advantages over Detriot, the WS will let him grow his hair long and wear a beard. Move over Lamar Hoyt.

oeo
02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Amongst other advantages over Detriot, the WS will let him grow his hair long and wear a beard. Move over Lamar Hoyt.

Not true. If you remember, in 2006, it came out that Reinsdorf actually has similar guidelines (though not nearly as strict) to the Yankees. Remember when AJ and Crede had to get hair cuts? Then again, those looked more like mullets than anything, maybe Reinsdorf just didn't want bad hair cuts on the team.

OTOH, Maggs had that long hair for a few years in Detroit.

Foulke You
02-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Not true. If you remember, in 2006, it came out that Reinsdorf actually has similar guidelines (though not nearly as strict) to the Yankees. Remember when AJ and Crede had to get hair cuts?

OTOH, Maggs had that long hair for a few years in Detroit.
You are right, the Sox aren't quite as strict as the Yanks. There are no restrictions on facial hair with the Sox to my knowledge while the Yanks require neatly trimmed mustache or clean shaven. No beards, goatees, chin hair, etc.

Carolina Kenny
02-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Oh yeah, I remember Uncle Jerry has gone all straight arrow on the team since those halcyon days of 1983 when the beer and hair flowed like 1983.

The Immigrant
02-15-2010, 02:58 PM
There are no restrictions on facial hair with the Sox to my knowledge while the Yanks require neatly trimmed mustache or clean shaven.

The travesty on Bobby's chin is living proof of this.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-15-2010, 03:05 PM
The travesty on Bobby's chin is living proof of this.Lol. My cousin calls him goat beard. haha :tongue:

longshot7
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Damon is on vacation right now, that's why he hasn't signed anywhere:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100212&content_id=8070808

soxinem1
02-15-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm just curious how much credibility should go into most of these stories we are being fed.

We all know Boras makes up competing markets for his clients, but since his client supposedly has a two-year/$14 million deal offered by DET, who can win the Central just as easilly as the White Sox, why would there even be a hangup, if that were true?

In fact, if it were one year at $7 million, why the hangup? No one is going to offer him more for a year, or two for that matter. If Motown is his choice, he would have made it.

The only way us or ATL could sign him, supposedly, is to defer money or sign Damon for $4 million or less.

Just by watching this I'd have to say he really wants to play here.

So unless KW wants him to sign like Lofton did back in 2002, I think there is a very strong chance Damon winds up in silver and black for 2010.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-15-2010, 04:11 PM

So unless KW wants him to sign like Lofton did back in 2002, I think there is a very strong chance Damon winds up in silver and black for 2010.Damn. What's that silver and black team called again?

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm just curious how much credibility should go into most of these stories we are being fed.

We all know Boras makes up competing markets for his clients, but since his client supposedly has a two-year/$14 million deal offered by DET, who can win the Central just as easilly as the White Sox, why would there even be a hangup, if that were true?

In fact, if it were one year at $7 million, why the hangup? No one is going to offer him more for a year, or two for that matter. If Motown is his choice, he would have made it.

The only way us or ATL could sign him, supposedly, is to defer money or sign Damon for $4 million or less.

So unless KW wants him to sign like Lofton did back in 2002, I think there is a very strong chance Damon winds up in silver and black for 2010.

Hope you're right. Everything you said make the most sense if everything is accurate. Here's hoping KW and Bora$ can actually work a deal out for once.

soxinem1
02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Damn. What's that silver and black team called again?

http://site.unbeatablesale.com/img012/casy2288.jpg

the cubs.:smile:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-15-2010, 05:55 PM
http://site.unbeatablesale.com/img012/casy2288.jpg

the cubs.:smile:

:chunks:

That's just so....wrong...

russ99
02-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Damon is on vacation right now, that's why he hasn't signed anywhere:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100212&content_id=8070808

Yeah, right...

Anyone else see the quote from Yankees GM Brian Cashman? I think it's from a New Haven paper- link on MLB Trade Rumors.

Looks like the Yankees were the team that offered 2yrs/14m and 1yr/6 with3 deferred. Not the Braves or Tigers.

Boras has everyone bidding against the Yankees even though they're out of the running...

Rdy2PlayBall
02-15-2010, 06:40 PM
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7753/10302987.png

These guys? I think we can outbid them for Damon.

Jpgr91
02-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, right...

Anyone else see the quote from Yankees GM Brian Cashman? I think it's from a New Haven paper- link on MLB Trade Runors.

Looks like the Yankees were the team that offered 2yrs/14m and 1yr/6 with3 deferred. Not the Braves or Tigers.

Boras has everyone bidding against the Yankees even though they're out of the running...

That would be so awesome if KW ends up signing Damon and in the process damages the image of Boras.

russ99
02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
That would be so awesome if KW ends up signing Damon and in the process damages the image of Boras.

I don't see that happening. GM's aren't allowed to comment other team's offers. Besides, Kenny and Boras haven't exactly had a warm working relationship, Boras could brush any negative comment off as sour grapes.

The only way Boras would be besmirched by a Damon signing is if Damon would bad-mouth him after the fact. Slight possibility, since he seems to be miffed about how Boras hard-lined him away from going back to the Yankees.

SkeetSkeetAmit
02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Damn. What's that silver and black team called again?

The Raiders?

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-15-2010, 07:40 PM
:chunks:

That's just so....wrong...

You mean you don't like the all black Cubs hat with the white logo? I wonder why a "Cubs" fan would want to wear that, lol.

DirtySox
02-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Decipher away:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-offseason-buzz-012010

Brian26
02-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh yeah, I remember Uncle Jerry has gone all straight arrow on the team since those halcyon days of 1983 when the beer and hair flowed like 1983.

I think it started in the late 80s when Larry Himes mandated that at least one stripe had to be visible on the stirrups worn on the field.

MARTINMVP
02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Seems like a solid way to start the next phase of the old thread which was pushing 500 posts anyway...

Your avatar and screen name still intrigue me after all these months.

WhiteSox5187
02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
I think it started in the late 80s when Larry Himes mandated that at least one stripe had to be visible on the stirrups worn on the field.

I didn't mind that rule, stirrups with stripes are a good thing in my book!

voodoochile
02-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Your avatar and screen name still intrigue me after all these months.

Blame Daver for the avatar, I just added the text...

mrwag
02-16-2010, 08:58 AM
I trust KW to make the right moves, but quite honestly I feel that if we did get Damon, it would be the difference maker in our lineup. I strongly feel that his bat would pull our lineup together and people would no longer worry about our offense. The guy can still play, and we're talking chump-change here in the overall scheme of things. If this deal is possible, it should be a no-brainer in my opinion.

johnnyg83
02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
MLB.com says Damon deal with Tigers close, "not imminent"

DonnieDarko
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
...why do I get the sneaking suspicion that we're not going to be getting Damon? -_-

Gammons Peter
02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
...why do I get the sneaking suspicion that we're not going to be getting Damon? -_-

the Sox are not getting Damon

spawn
02-16-2010, 01:20 PM

I'd bet my paycheck the Sox aren't even serious bidders for him.

GoGoCrede
02-16-2010, 01:22 PM

If so, lame. I spent a full two hours glued to Twitter and pasting non-important tweets here when I thought we were getting him! :angry::rolleyes::tongue: Such is life in the offseason.

doublem23
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Because that would actually be an intelligent acquisition.

DirtySox
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM

Pssh.

Who needs Damon when you have Mandruw Jonesay?

kittle42
02-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Ditto.

Foulke You
02-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Scott Boras is notorious for dragging negotiations out. Also, the mlb.com article made mention of the fact that they are seeking a 2 year deal at $10 million per for Damon. If the Tigers are only offering $7 million per, then there is your hang up.

spawn
02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Pssh.

Who needs Damon when you have Mandruw Jonesay?
That's pretty good. Kudos! :thumbsup:

spawn
02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
If so, lame. I spent a full two hours glued to Twitter and pasting non-important tweets here when I thought we were getting him! :angry::rolleyes::tongue: Such is life in the offseason.
As long as it got you through the day, that's all tha matters right? :tongue:

Hitmen77
02-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Ditto.

Yep, I think the chances of the Sox getting him are close to zero. I fully expect to hear in the end that the Sox were never serious bidders for this Boras client. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Tigers were bidding against themselves for Damon.

Like it or not, we're heading into spring training with our DH spot to be filled with by bench players. We just have to hope that Andruw Jones makes a miraculous comeback.

jabrch
02-16-2010, 03:50 PM

and the White Sox never make intelligent acquisitions?

doublem23
02-16-2010, 06:16 PM

Not this off-season.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Not this off-season.I think Pierre, Putz, and Teahen were all good trades/ acquisitions. Everyone claims to hate the Yankee buy everything way, but you all secretly wish the Sox were that way. If we get Damon, good, if we don't, we are still better than last season. Most of our "offseason" was during the season.

russ99
02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I think Pierre, Putz, and Teahen were all good trades/ acquisitions. Everyone claims to hate the Yankee buy everything way, but you all secretly wish the Sox were that way. If we get Damon, good, if we don't, we are still better than last season. Most of our "offseason" was during the season.

I guess some people are taking more of a "show me" mentality with our new acquisitions, because of who we've lost and that the new players aren't "flashy".

If we get Damon, great. If not, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, and I still think that what we have on the roster now may surprise us in a good way.

Most importantly, after how Kenny handled the disappointment of last offseason and spring, I'm confident he won't rest if it's shown that some of our new acquisitions or players who were with us last year don't work out. Going up to $105M payroll to this point when no one expected the Sox to do so is further reinforcement of that "In Kenny We Trust" mentality.

getonbckthr
02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I think Pierre, Putz, and Teahen were all good trades/ acquisitions. Everyone claims to hate the Yankee buy everything way, but you all secretly wish the Sox were that way. If we get Damon, good, if we don't, we are still better than last season. Most of our "offseason" was during the season.
I completely disagree with you on Teahen.

Sockinchisox
02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Sox have made a second offer, Damon to Sox gaining momentum!

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/9212195015

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I completely disagree with you on Teahen.Getz couldn't say healthy and Fields wasn't a good player. We traded junk for someone with potential and has at least proven himself to be average at the very least.

kittle42
02-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Everyone claims to hate the Yankee buy everything way, but you all secretly wish the Sox were that way.

Every fanbase wishes their team could/would do that. I know I sure do.

mzh
02-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Get it done, Kenny!

This is why I think it's actually the Tigers that have the phantom offer on the table. Other than the rumor that they offered 2/14, we haven't heard a thing recently about talks really progressing. Over the last week we are the only team that has made any visible move in the direction of an imminent signing.

DirtySox
02-16-2010, 07:40 PM

!!!

Get!

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Get it done, Kenny!

This is why I think it's actually the Tigers that have the phantom offer on the table. Other than the rumor that they offered 2/14, we haven't heard a thing recently about talks really progressing. Over the last week we are the only team that has made any visible move in the direction of an imminent signing.This twitter post could be just as much of a lie as the 2 year deal Detroit offered... though I hope it's not! :redneck

JermaineDye05
02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I feel that by the end of this, all of us (including Kenny) are going to be hating Boras a little more. As I feel that he is simply using the Sox to bump up Damon's price.

Although it could be a possibility that Kenny is in this, not merely for the hopes of getting Damon but in the hopes that the Tigers grossly overpay for him.

mzh
02-16-2010, 07:47 PM
This twitter post could be just as much of a lie as the 2 year deal Detroit offered... though I hope it's not! :redneck
My guess is that Detroit has something more like 2/10 on the table, and Damon is holding out for an extra couple mil. Hopefully the rumors are true abuot him being willing to accept 1/5 or 1/6 from the Sox over Detroit... I have a feeling a signing could happen by Thursday, if this new offer from the sox is there to top something put out by Detroit. KW's style seems to be about leaving something out there unless it needs to be upgraded. He's done it before, bringing in Peavy and Rios after Detroit brought in Washburn and Minny got OC. I also happened to notice that all of these Damon rumors popped up just after Hudson signed with the Twins, so maybe KW only really started thinking about it until he needed to one-up the Piranhas,

Or maybe this is all a cover up, and KW is really still negotiating for Carl Crawford behind everyone's back! :redneck

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
I feel that by the end of this, all of us (including Kenny) are going to be hating Boras a little more. As I feel that he is simply using the Sox to bump up Damon's price.

Although it could be a possibility that Kenny is in this, not merely for the hopes of getting Damon but in the hopes that the Tigers grossly overpay for him.I doubt we really care all that much about what they spend. A few mil here and a few mil there isn't really going to affect the Tigers if they were planning on getting someone else. They aren't as tight on the budget as us. I'm sure KW has some real interest in getting him... imo of course.

JermaineDye05
02-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Ken Rosenthal just took back his lastest tweet.

Says Sox did not make second offer. Original one stands and is not as high as Tigers.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Says Sox did not make second offer. Original one stands and is not as high as Tigers.lol :tongue: ... :(:

mzh
02-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Says Sox did not make second offer. Original one stands and is not as high as Tigers.
Surprise, surprise :rolleyes:

I guess it could be a good sign that he still hasn't signed despite the Tigers higher offer

ilsox7
02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Surprise, surprise :rolleyes:

I guess it could be a good sign that he still hasn't signed despite the Tigers higher offer

It's a sign that these guys have absolutely no ****ing idea what they are talking about.

mzh
02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
It's a sign that these guys have absolutely no ****ing idea what they are talking about.
LOL, well said. Any second now we'll be hearing reports that everyone was mistaken and the Sox did not in fact sign JJ Putz.

dwalteroo
02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
And why reporting rumors through Twitter is pretty lame.

DirtySox
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Very peculiar.

Bad intel? Said something he shouldn't? Dyslexic?

GoGoCrede
02-16-2010, 08:07 PM

It sure wasn't lame when the first news on the Peavy deal broke through Twitter. It's a valuable source of information, even if you have to weed through the nonsense to get to the good stuff. The good stuff (like the Peavy deal) is always worth it.

ilsox7
02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
It sure wasn't lame when the first news on the Peavy deal broke through Twitter. It's a valuable source of information, even if you have to weed through the nonsense to get to the good stuff. The good stuff (like the Peavy deal) is always worth it.

It's lame (and several other words I choose not to use) when within 20 minutes of tweeting "news," you have to completely recant it.

JermaineDye05
02-16-2010, 08:17 PM

Yeah I've followed a lot of insiders on twitter such as Olney, Rosenthal and Heyman. They're all pretty good. They might botch one here and there (like Rosenthal's recent tweets) but for the most part they're spot on when they break information.

GoGoCrede
02-16-2010, 08:19 PM
It's lame (and several other words I choose not to use) when within 20 minutes of tweeting "news," you have to completely recant it.

Like Cowley, you mean. :cool: But others, like Olney and Heyman as quoted above, are pretty reliable. And before Twitter, lots of MLB rumors were recanted anyway. We just didn't get the news as quickly.

soxinem1
02-16-2010, 08:23 PM

You are correct. It is known as 'Jumping The Gun".

KW is known to work under the radar, though...............:cool:

ilsox7
02-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Like Cowley, you mean. :cool: But others, like Olney and Heyman as quoted above, are pretty reliable. And before Twitter, lots of MLB rumors were recanted anyway. We just didn't get the news as quickly.

I am new to twitter and enjoy following some of these guys. But there is really no excuse for having to tweet within 20 minutes saying what you just reported was false.

russ99
02-16-2010, 08:26 PM
I completely disagree with you on Teahen.

I'm not in agreement with Kenny signing him to a longer deal before he plays an inning here, but I think the trade was good, and could end up a steal if things go as expected.

Sockinchisox
02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Rosenthal says a deal still could happen and might even be close.

Pierzynski has been persuading Damon to sign with the Sox.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/johnny-damon-chicago-white-sox-021610

GoGoCrede
I am new to twitter and enjoy following some of these guys. But there is really no excuse for having to tweet within 20 minutes saying what you just reported was false.

It happens in all kinds of news sources, IMO. More often than not, though, they're on the money. I love having Twitter as a faster source for huge trades. I remember the Peavy one being reported seconds after it was made. That was awesome.

asindc

I wonder if it can be considered intelligent if the Sox make a serious offer to Damon that he turns down so that he can be overpaid by another team.

sunofgold
02-16-2010, 08:30 PM

Pierzynski lobbied Damon to sign with the White Sox, and Damon’s wife, Michelle, would prefer him to play in a more cosmopolitan city than Detroit, multiple sources say.

Wow, Michelle slamming Detroit like a White Sox fan. hahaha!

russ99
02-16-2010, 08:31 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/johnny-damon-chicago-white- (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/johnny-damon-chicago-white-sox-021610)
sox-021610 (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/johnny-damon-chicago-white-sox-021610)

Interesting...

I hope Kenny doesn't budge. Take it or leave it keeps Boras from playing his little games, like oh, I don't know, leaking that the Sox are reportedly raising their offer...

One thing that's bad reporting in that article is the Sox wanting a leadoff hitter. Even if we get Damon, Pierre will lead off.

DirtySox
02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
In regard to breaking MLB rumors, if you follow the right people the tweets are generally quite valid. I think this is one of the first times I've seen a rumor taken back, especially by someone as well known as Rosenthal.

ilsox7
02-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Well, if half the crap about Damon out there is true, it certainly sounds like the Tigers are being used to try to get the Sox to raise their offer. I hope the Sox say **** you to Boras, here's our offer, take it or leave it.

russ99
02-16-2010, 08:35 PM
In regard to breaking MLB rumors, if you follow the right people the tweets are generally quite valid. I think this is one of the first times I've seen a rumor taken back, especially by someone as well known as Rosenthal.

I know. Rosenthal is very reliable. Which is why this is so fishy.

DirtySox
02-16-2010, 08:39 PM

Does having Hawk there help or hurt our cause?

ilsox7
What's disappointing about all of this is that one of the WSIers in Florida did not make it a point to be the 4th in their foursome on the course today. Or at least be in the group ahead or behind them.

asindc
Interesting...

I hope Kenny doesn't budge. Take it or leave it keeps Boras from playing his little games, like oh, I don't know, leaking that the Sox are reportedly raising their offer...

One thing that's bad reporting in that article is the Sox wanting a leadoff hitter. Even if we get Damon, Pierre will lead off.

My thoughts exactly. Of course, Boras and Damon want the Sox to believe that Detroit has dropped 1yr/$7mil and 2yrs/$14mil offers on the table, but there is no reason why anyone should believe that. If KW has made a good offer, that should be the only one Damon receives from the Sox, IMO. No need to be Boras' bitch in this instance when KW has steadfastly avoided it all this time.

DumpJerry
02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Rosenthal is very reliable.
:scratch: Did you leave out the word "not?"

getonbckthr
02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
This is gonna come down to Damon and whether he wants money ( detroit) or comfort (friend AJ, happy wife)

ilsox7
02-16-2010, 08:43 PM
This is gonna come down to Damon and whether he wants money ( detroit) or comfort (friend AJ, happy wife)

Throw in a better chance to win and pad his stats and it would seem to be a no-brainer to sign here. But who the hell knows.

asindc
02-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Throw in a better chance to win and pad his stats and it would seem to be a no-brainer to sign here. But who the hell knows.

This case is a perfect example of why KW and the Sox drew the line with Boras years ago. Phantom offers, some from phantom teams, playing stare down while risking letting an ideal situation get away. I guess he really did not expect Cashman to tell him to get lost so quickly.

Brian26
02-16-2010, 08:51 PM

I'm officially excited for this to happen now.

Brian26
02-16-2010, 08:54 PM

A guy like Damon has made his money. Not many players, though, can say they've won three rings with three different teams.

spawn
I'm officially excited for this to happen now.
I'd love to get excited about this, but I just can't see Boras letting Damon go somewhere for less money.

Brian26

I'm officially not excited anymore.

Brian26
02-16-2010, 08:55 PM

Twitter sucks too.

JermaineDye05
The one big question I have is that if the Sox sign Damon, does that make them World Series contenders?

If not, what else would they need?

Sockinchisox
:scratch: Did you leave out the word "not?"

Uh no, Rosenthal and Heyman are the two most reliable guys when it comes to breaking baseball news.

Marqhead
02-16-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm officially not excited anymore.

Ah the peaks and valleys of Sox fanship. That one took about 2 minutes, haha. :D:

asindc
02-16-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd love to get excited about this, but I just can't see Boras letting Damon go somewhere for less money.

Well, if that is the case, then I guess we will find out who is the boss, Damon or Boras.

Brian26
02-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Damon played golf Monday with White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/a.j.-pierzynski/85217) and broadcaster Ken “Hawk” Harrelson, according to major-league sources.If Hawk's in on this, it's a done deal. Damon will be batting 2nd on Opening Day.

I'm excited again.

JermaineDye05
02-16-2010, 09:00 PM
If Hawk's in on this, it's a done deal. Damon will be batting 2nd on Opening Day.

If Damon winds up with the Sox which I don't think will happen, I'd like to make a push for his White Sox nick name to be...

http://themixtressonline.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/day-man.jpg

ilsox7
02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
I looked back at Rosenthal's tweets on this. He makes no sense. He has gone from writing a blurb about how the Sox make sense for Damon. Then he says the Sox "threw him a bone" which would imply a low offer. Then he says that the Sox have upped their offer, recants that 20 minutes later, only to follow with a story about how Damon went golfing with Hawk and AJ today and there is a legit chance he signs with the Sox, but only at their original "threw him a bone" of an offer.

Rosenthal's getting played here. If the Sox really did just make a lowball offer, then there is no way he is golfing with Hawk and AJ with them trying to convince him to sign. My hunch is the Sox offered $4MM for a year, which was similar (I think) to what the Brave offered. That is not a "bone." Boras leaks that the Tigers have a big offer out there, the Sox offer is small, and plays the Sox using Rosenthal. Obviously this is all speculation, but Rosenthal should explain how the Sox have just thrown Damon a bone, but now he may sign such an offer.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Funny how he updated his Fox story giving hope after he took back his twitter saying the Sox are still behind the Tigers.

WHICH IS IT, MAN!?

VMSNS
02-16-2010, 09:04 PM
After following this thread for the past few days and reading the updates, I think that Damon genuinely wants to sign with the Sox is now just trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of Kenny. Hopefully, the Sox standing pat financially doesn't turn him away from Chicago.

I have hope. Beat Bora$$ at his own game, Kenny.

ilsox7
02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Funny how he updated his Fox story giving hope after he took back his twitter saying the Sox are still behind the Tigers.

WHICH IS IT, MAN!?

He doesn't know so he is covering his ass as best he can.

Sockinchisox
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM

WHICH IS IT, MAN!?

A deal still may be gaining momentum, he just got it wrong that the Sox have put in a second offer.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM
After following this thread for the past few days and reading the updates, I think that Damon genuinely wants to sign with the Sox is now just trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of Kenny. Hopefully, the Sox standing pat financially doesn't turn him away from Chicago.

I have hope. Beat Bora$$ at his own game, Kenny.Jeeze man, give him another mil if it makes this all less painful. Who cares if KW sticks it to Borass, we want to win baseball, not economics.

Brian26
02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Pierre LF
Damon DH
Beckham 3B
Quentin RF
Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Rios CF
Teahen 3B
Ramirez SS

Still lots of question marks in this lineup, but the ceiling is as high as any Sox team since 2006.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Pierre LF
Damon DH
Beckham 3B
Quentin RF
Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Rios CF
Teahen 3B
Ramirez SS

Still lots of question marks in this lineup, but the ceiling is as high as any Sox team since 2006.Could you list all these question marks? The only question marks I see is "Will such and such perform to their expectations?" ... which every team in baseball has.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Pierre LF
Damon DH
Beckham 3B
Quentin RF
Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Rios CF
Teahen 3B
Ramirez SS

Still lots of question marks in this lineup, but the ceiling is as high as any Sox team since 2006.

Looks to me like a lineup that could make it very far into the postseason if the pitching's as good as advertised.

If we got Damon, I'd officially be more worried about the BP then I would about the offense.

A. Cavatica
If Damon winds up with the Sox which I don't think will happen, I'd like to make a push for his White Sox nick name to be...

Um, yeah. Good luck with that.

Frater Perdurabo
02-16-2010, 09:12 PM

Why would Rosenthal write that the Sox "are still looking for a leadoff hitter." I thought that's why they got Juan Pierre. :scratch:

getonbckthr
02-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Tommorow is White Sox Wednesday!

mzh
02-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Rosenthal just tweeted an article, apparently Damon played golf with AJ and Hawk yesterday. It was also reinforced that Damon's wife has pretty much zero interest in moving to Detroit.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Why would Rosenthal write that the Sox "are still looking for a leadoff hitter." I thought that's why they got Juan Pierre. :scratch:I guess everyone but us thinks he will actually lead off... and Pierre will bat 2nd or 9th. I honestly see Damon either 2nd, or somewhere right after 3. Maybe 1 on Sunday games or something. We need a high average hitter in the leadoff spot, with a lot of speed... Damon would fit perfectly behind Pierre if you ask me. My guess is Pierre leadsoff... he a good player and we aren't exactly in the search for a leadoff hitter.

russ99
02-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Well, if that is the case, then I guess we will find out who is the boss, Damon or Boras.

Very good question. Would Damon let Boras sway him away from the team he (supposedly) likes a second time over a couple million dollars?

mzh
02-16-2010, 09:19 PM
I guess everyone but us thinks he will actually lead off... and Pierre will bat 2nd or 9th. I honestly see Damon either 2nd, or somewhere right after 3. Maybe 1 on Sunday games or something. We need a high average hitter in the leadoff spot, with a lot of speed... Damon would fit perfectly behind Pierre if you ask me. My guess is Pierre leadsoff... he a good player and we aren't exactly in the search for a leadoff hitter.

Only problem with Damon batting second or leading off with Pierre at 2 is Ozzie's craziness about L/R/L/R combinations. Would't be too surprised to see Damon 5th and Rios or Alexei in the 2 hole if he does get signed.

Noneck
02-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Or Damons wife. Hope she is the pants wearer.

Brian26
02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
I guess everyone but us thinks he will actually lead off... and Pierre will bat 2nd or 9th.

Ozzie said at Soxfest that Pierre is going to leadoff since he's been begging KW to get a leadoff hitter for the past three years and he finally acquired one. This was in response to someone presenting the idea of Gordon leading off and Pierre batting 9th.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Only problem with Damon batting second or leading off with Pierre at 2 is Ozzie's craziness about L/R/L/R combinations. Would't be too surprised to see Damon 5th and Rios or Alexei in the 2 hole if he does get signed.Maybe... I'd be fine with Damon batting 5th, I think he would be too, he seems to be becoming a more RBI-wanting type guy. He'd produce well lower in the lineup in our park. I hope he bats 2nd, but I don't think it's that big of a deal that he bats 5th if it spits our lineup b/w Ls and Rs.

Ozzie said at Soxfest that Pierre is going to leadoff since he's been begging KW to get a leadoff hitter for the past three years and he finally acquired one. This was in response to someone presenting the idea of Gordon leading off and Pierre batting 9th.
Wait! Who wanted that!? :thud:

GoGoCrede
02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Is the deadline for this pretty much when ST starts? I don't know how much more speculation I can take. Sign or don't sign (but please sign!).

Frater Perdurabo
02-16-2010, 09:28 PM
If Damon signed with the Sox this is how I would structure the lineup:

Pierre, Rios/Beckham, Damon, TCQ, Paulie, AJ, Beckham/Rios, Teahen, Alexei

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Pierre, Rios/Beckham, Damon, TCQ, Paulie, AJ, Beckham/Rios, Teahen, AlexeiI REALLY don't like Beckham batting second. It hurts my brain every time I see it. I know he can be a great 2-hole guy... but I think he can be an even better RBI guy. I think he's been quoted saying he likes being in more of an RBI spot in the lineup. (I'm not positive on this btw)

If you did the Rios 2nd and Beckham lower in the order option... that would be a good lineup IMO. maybe Beckham could move up later in the season, which what I think might happen.

Brian26
02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Could you list all these question marks? The only question marks I see is "Will such and such perform to their expectations?" ... which every team in baseball has.

That response is assuming that expections are known. With half of this lineup, I have no idea what the expectations are. What is the norm? Alexei is still an enigma. Rios had a dangerously bad 2nd half last year. Konerko most likely is in a decline. And, most importantly, what do you have in Quentin? An MVP-caliber clean-up hitter or someone who's going to play 45 games and be hurt.

I can't predict whether or not they will live up to expectations if I don't know what to expect. That's why I said that the team, if you look at their ceiling and everything comes together, looks phenomenal.

The only guy in the lineup that you probably can predict exactly how he's going to perform is Teahen. He'll bat .260-.270 with 15-18 HRs and play mediocre defense at 3B.

oeo
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM

Pierre, Rios/Beckham, Damon, TCQ, Paulie, AJ, Beckham/Rios, Teahen, Alexei

I think the Opening Day lineup should be (assuming Damon signs of course)
Pierre
Damon
Rios
Quentin
AJ
Konerko
Beckham
Teahen
Alexei

That's hoping for a best case scenario from everyone, which is unlikely to happen so some changes will have to be made. By the end of the year, something like this:
Damon
Alexei
Beckham
Quentin
AJ
Konerko
Teahen
Rios
Pierre

Brian26
02-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Wait! Who wanted that!? :thud:

Its actually not a bad idea if you're looking at it from an OBP standpoint and giving the team a chance to drive in as many runs as possible in nine innings. Once the lineup flips over, Pierre is essentially the leadoff hitter again with Beckham batting behind him. Ozzie wanted nothing to do with the idea.

rdwj
02-16-2010, 09:38 PM

http://themixtressonline.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/day-man.jpg

Glad there is someone else that thinks this... I mentioned it in another thread and it seemed to go over like a lead balloon.

Craig Grebeck
02-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Its actually not a bad idea if you're looking at it from an OBP standpoint and giving the team a chance to drive in as many runs as possible in nine innings. Once the lineup flips over, Pierre is essentially the leadoff hitter again with Beckham batting behind him. Ozzie wanted nothing to do with the idea.
It's actually a fantastic idea, which makes Ozzie's aversion to it unsurprising.

kravdog
02-16-2010, 09:42 PM
While I would be completely ecstatic if the sox sign Damon, it does concern me that Ozzie will be tempted to field an outifiield with pierre, damon, kotsay...or pierre, jones, damon...or, you get the idea... Ozzie will pretty much have unlimited potential to lineup a completely ****ty outfield if he so chooses. And, based upon the Mac episodes in 2006, history will say that he will make the wrong decision far too many times and cost us far too many games... Thoughts...

jabrch
02-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Not this off-season.

I'll give you credit for sticking to your guns on this one...I don't understand why - but kudos to you my friend. This team sucks, management is stupid and ownership is cheap. It's like 2004 all over again.

jabrch
02-16-2010, 09:48 PM
While I would be completely ecstatic if the sox sign Damon, it does concern me that Ozzie will be tempted to field an outifiield with pierre, damon, kotsay...or pierre, jones, damon...or, you get the idea... Ozzie will pretty much have unlimited potential to lineup a completely ****ty outfield if he so chooses. And, based upon the Mac episodes in 2006, history will say that he will make the wrong decision far too many times and cost us far too many games... Thoughts...

So you are thinking he is going to bench Rios even if he is the better player?

Guillen will do what he thinks gives this club the best chance to win. I'm surprised people still think otherwise.

Noneck
02-16-2010, 09:49 PM

I was thinking similarly but with Damon in left and Pierre in center. Ramirez will have to strap on a bazooka to get the ball in from where he will have to set up for a relay.

jabrch
02-16-2010, 09:51 PM
The only guy in the lineup that you probably can predict exactly how he's going to perform is Teahen. He'll bat .260-.270 with 15-18 HRs and play mediocre defense at 3B.

Why are you so sure?

russ99
02-16-2010, 09:51 PM

What players do we have right now that even comes close to the "Mac episode"? Had Anderson hit the ball or we had other options at the time Mac wouldn't have played CF, simple as that... Ozzie played the hand he was dealt, which he played pretty good in 2005 and 2008.

I love it that Ozzie has some flexibility this year.

You guys all forget he played his last 2 years under Cox in Atlanta and was a coach under Frank Robinson in Montreal and Jeff Torborg & Jack McKeon in Florida. The guy is a NL-style manager, like it or not, and this flexibility plays to his strengths.

kravdog
02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
So you are thinking he is going to bench Rios even if he is the better player?

Guillen will do what he thinks gives this club the best chance to win. I'm surprised people still think otherwise.

I never said that Ozzie wouldn't/doesn't do "what he thinks gives this club the best chance to win." I simply worry that too many ****ty defensive outfield options could possibly give Ozzie the ability to make the wrong decision (defensively) on a more consistent basis.

All is good if Rios simply performs to his career avg, TCQ plays between 08 & 09 levels and stays healthy. But...I just saying.

RockJock07
02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
I just want this to happen or not happen, I've never been really thrilled at the prospect at the DH by committee.

I'm really jacked up about ST drawing near....

kravdog
02-16-2010, 10:01 PM
What players do we have right now that even comes close to the "Mac episode"? Had Anderson hit the ball or we had other options at the time Mac wouldn't have played CF, simple as that...

If Rios is the same offensive player as he was once we picked him up last year, we have a $9.7 million Brian Anderson in CF... Not that I think this is likely, but you asked for reason for doubt.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 10:08 PM
While I would be completely ecstatic if the sox sign Damon, it does concern me that Ozzie will be tempted to field an outifiield with pierre, damon, kotsay...or pierre, jones, damon...or, you get the idea... Ozzie will pretty much have unlimited potential to lineup a completely ****ty outfield if he so chooses. And, based upon the Mac episodes in 2006, history will say that he will make the wrong decision far too many times and cost us far too many games... Thoughts...http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/manage.shtml
I think somewhere around 2005 will prove to you that Ozzie isn't a ****ing idiot. He's went into seasons with TERRIBLE teams, and has had a average winning record if you look at it that way. he's led us to 4 of 6 winning seasons, 2 playoff appearances, and a World Series. If you seriously think Ozzie isn't capable of managing 10x better than almost everyone on this forum, I don't understand baseball anymore. The guy knows what he's doing, and what he's going isn't meant to be a power HR or nothing lineup. Ozzie can coach teams like the one we have set up right now. I trust whatever he wants to do.

Sorry, I don't really agree with what you think about Ozzie...

kravdog
02-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Sorry, I don't really agree with what you think about Ozzie...

I love Ozzie.
Do you still not agree with me?

I'm just wondering how people on this board will feel if/when those previously mentioned defensive outfields are being run out on the field...

KMcMahon817
02-16-2010, 10:27 PM
I love Ozzie.

I'm just wondering how people on this board will feel if/when those previously mentioned defensive outfields are being run out on the field...

They'll bitch and moan, to be perfectly honest.

Outfield defense has never been a priority for the Sox. With that said, the 2010 outfield defense will be just fine.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 10:30 PM
I love Ozzie.

I'm just wondering how people on this board will feel if/when those previously mentioned defensive outfields are being run out on the field...Pretzels taste terrible and I hate the salt they put on them. Pretzels make my mouth dry and they don't taste good with cheese.

"I disagree with your opinion about pretzels."

Oh, I love eating pretzels. So you don't like pretzels I take it??

----

sorry, you are being very misleading. I guess I don't agree with your opinions on Ozzie's decisions when it comes to outfield alignment and whatnot.

Hitmen77
02-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Twitter sucks too.

Oh come on, who needs accuracy when you are getting "tweets" every 20 minutes. Faster reports sure beats accurate reports. That's why Twitter is so great. :rolleyes:

soxfan43
02-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Haven't seen this posted yet. But apparently Damon played golf today with Hawk and AJ down in Florida. How could anyone turn down Hawk? I expect an announcement of a deal with Damon and the Sox tomorrow. I also didn't know AJ and Damon were high school teammates.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/a-thaw-in-white-sox-boras-relations.html

Zisk77
02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Pretzels taste terrible and I hate the salt they put on them. Pretzels make my mouth dry and they don't taste good with cheese.

"I disagree with your opinion about pretzels."

Oh, I love eating pretzels. So you don't like pretzels I take it??

----

sorry, you are being very misleading. I guess I don't agree with your opinions on Ozzie's decisions when it comes to outfield alignment and whatnot.

These pretzels are making me Thirsty?

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

These pretzels? Are making me Thirsty?

kravdog
02-16-2010, 10:41 PM

I questioned Ozzie's decision making when given the opportunity to field very poor defensive lineups...nothing more & nothing less.

You were the one that defended all OG decisions based upon 2005 AL Mgr of the year award & then turned it into an small ball vs hr or nothing issue...

Either way- Damon, Pierre, Kotsay, Rios, TCQ, Jones should be a much better all around group than the TCQ, Anderson, DWise, Dye, Lillibridge that we started 2009 with.

Hitmen77
02-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Does having Hawk there help or hurt our cause?

It depends, how much does Damon like Yazstremski stories?:dunno:

The one big question I have is that if the Sox sign Damon, does that make them World Series contenders?

If not, what else would they need?

Perhaps yes. Not that I think Johnny Damon is the best player in the world. But he might just be the missing piece that really solidifies our lineup. With our great rotation, that might very well put us over the top from pretenders to serious contenders.

....but that being said, I don't believe for a minute that the Sox are about to sign Boras client Johnny Damon.

voodoochile
02-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Pierre LF
Damon DH
Beckham 3B
Quentin RF
Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Rios CF
Teahen 3B
Ramirez SS

Actually, given that lineup, I'd expect Beckham to stay second and Damon to hit third to keep the LRLR thing going. Then Konerko can bat 5th which is a better option than AJ and not have a long string of RH hitters which we know KW hates.

Does Jones stomp off in a huff if this happens? The number of AB he would get would drop dramatically. He'd be lucky to crack 200...

WhiteSoxOnly
02-16-2010, 10:53 PM
It depends, how much does Damon like Yazstremski stories?:dunno:

:rolling:

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 10:54 PM
These pretzels are making me Thirsty?

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

These pretzels? Are making me Thirsty?Holy crap you just confused me probably more than I confused you. @_@

Does Jones stomp off in a huff if this happens? The number of AB he would get would drop dramatically. He'd be lucky to crack 200...I am going to feel REALLY sorry for Jones if we sign Damon. I mean, didn't he take less to come here? I honestly hope we don't get Damon and Jones puts up great numbers to help this team into the playoffs... But right now I would rather feel comfortable knowing we have someone who will most likely perform well enough to help us into the playoffs. (Damon)

DirtySox
02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Holy crap you just confused me probably more than I confused you. @_@

Not a Seinfeld fan I take it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaLpHoZA8E

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Not a Seinfeld fan I take it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaLpHoZA8EOh!!! Lol. That was actually pretty funny... I normally don't like that show. :tongue:

palehozenychicty
02-16-2010, 11:04 PM
If they have to cut Jones to sign Damon, do it!

JermaineDye05
02-16-2010, 11:10 PM

I don't think $500,000 is holding up the deal and I'm sure if they needed to they would.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I don't think $500,000 is holding up the deal and I'm sure if they needed to they would.I don't know if it's the money... Your dealing with a person here too. If it was a minor leaguer for 500k I think it would be different. Vizquel, Jones and Kotsay may very well be holding Kenny back a little bit.

I'm not aware of the rules in baseball... can we trade Jones, Kotsay, or Vizquel even though we just signed them and they havn't really played into their contracts yet? :?:

Lillian
02-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Does Jones stomp off in a huff if this happens? The number of AB he would get would drop dramatically. He'd be lucky to crack 200...

I understand that the obvious assumption is that Damon would replace Jones. However, there is some merit in at least giving Jones a chance to show what he can do. Damon could be the leadoff hitter, and Jones could provide some much needed power in the middle of the order.

I know that it wouldn't fill the void created by the lack of a left handed power bat in the middle of the lineup, but at least it would give the order some power in the middle to compliment Quentin. Without Jones in the lineup, Quentin is the only legitimate slugger in the lineup, unless you want to hope that Konerko can still produce big power numbers. I just think that Jones is the only guy on this team besides Quentin who could hit between 30 to 35 homers. Konerko, Rios, Beckham, Ramirez, and Damon, if he signs, are all probably going to hit around 20 homers

Of course, Jones would have to prove himself, but he has that kind of potential. Therefore, I would rather see an outfield of Quentin in Left, Rios in Center, and Jones in right. That's a pretty good defensive outfield, as well. Damon could DH. That leaves Pierre as the odd man out, but Damon's superior OBP and Jones' superior power, make Pierre my personal choice to be that odd man out, providing that Jones really is in shape and can play anywhere near up to his past level.

The other alternative would be to play Pierre in Left and have him lead off.
That would move Damon to the middle of the order in an attempt to provide a left handed bat to break up the string of right handed hitters in the heart of the order. However, I question whether Damon can provide the kind of thunder and protection for Quentin. I guess it just seems like Damon is a better candidate to lead off than to bat 4th or 5th, and that is where he would likely hit, if he isn't leading off.

voodoochile
02-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I understand that the obvious assumption is that Damon would replace Jones. However, there is some merit in at least giving Jones a chance to show what he can do. Damon could be the leadoff hitter, and Jones could provide some much needed power in the middle of the order.

I know that it wouldn't fill the void created by the lack of a left handed power bat in the middle of the lineup, but at least it would give the order some power in the middle to compliment Quentin. Without Jones in the lineup, Quentin is the only legitimate slugger in the lineup, unless you want to hope that Konerko can still produce big power numbers. I just think that Jones is the only guy on this team besides Quentin who could hit between 30 to 35 homers. Konerko, Rios, Beckham, Ramirez, and Damon, if he signs, are all probably going to hit around 20 homers

Of course, Jones would have to prove himself, but he has that kind of potential. Therefore, I would rather see an outfield of Quentin in Left, Rios in Center, and Jones in right. That's a pretty good defensive outfield, as well. Damon could DH. That leaves Pierre as the odd man out, but Damon's superior OBP and Jones' superior power, make Pierre my personal choice to be that odd man out, providing that Jones really is in shape and can play anywhere near up to his past level.

That would move Damon to the middle of the order in an attempt to provide a left handed bat to break up the string of right handed hitters in the heart of the order. However, I question whether Damon can provide the kind of thunder and protection for Quentin. I guess it just seems like Damon is a better candidate to lead off than to bat 4th or 5th, and that is where he would likely hit, if he isn't leading off.

I'd think a lot more people would have faith that PK will produce big power numbers than Jones will. Also, there's the question of where does Jones play? Aside from Kotsay, PK is the only 1B on the team. Jones/Damon/Pierre/Rios/Damon create a logjam for OF/DH AB. Not that I'd be upset by having too much talent, but if the Sox sign Damon, Jones is the obvious man out in this situation.

And yes, I'd like to see what Jones can do too, but if Damon comes aboard, I have no problem letting Jones ride the bench or walk.

Oh and the obvious choice for lineup, IMO with Damon is...

Pierre
Beckham
Damon
TCQ
PK
AJ
Rios/TCM
Teahen
Rios/TCM

It mixes the L/R hitters well and puts people in their best position relative to average, power and speed.

Craig Grebeck
02-16-2010, 11:46 PM

In this post you are supposing two things that are false:

1. That protection exists.
2. That Andruw Jones is still good.

sunofgold
02-16-2010, 11:56 PM
he will definitely win over the female White Sox fans...b/c it means that he listens to his wife. If not that, then his look.hahahaha!

I googled Michelle Damon and she is cute. Not as hot as Pods wife (Lisa Dergan), but Michelle Damon is alright in my book. She wants Chicago over Detroit.

JermaineDye05
02-17-2010, 12:03 AM
he will definitely win over the female White Sox fans...b/c it means that he listens to his wife. If not that, then his look.hahahaha!

I googled Michelle Damon and she is cute. Not as hot as Pods wife (Lisa Dergan), but Michelle Damon is alright in my book. She wants Chicago over Detroit.

I think Beckham and TCQ have already got this covered.

Damon can grow his hair as long as he wants, I don't think he can stand up to lego hair or w.e the hell we want to call the awesomeness that lies atop Beckham's head.

As far as Pods wife goes, I am sad to see her go once again.

sunofgold
02-17-2010, 12:12 AM
why didn't we re-sign Pods? Pierre is basically a clone of Pods. Pods wanted more money and years, right? Too bad we couldn't have come to terms with Pods.

Pods $1.75M this year, Pierre $3M this year. Could have given us another $1.25M to possibly spend on Damon.

michned
02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
why didn't we re-sign Pods? Pierre is basically a clone of Pods. Pods wanted more money and years, right? Too bad we couldn't have come to terms with Pods.

Pods $1.75M this year, Pierre $3M this year. Could have given us another $1.25M to possibly spend on Damon.

But Pierre is younger and has a minimal injury history. Not like Pods.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-17-2010, 12:19 AM

Pierre has less strikeouts, has less of an injury history, has better speed, is WORLDS better of a baserunner, and is a better defender than Pods.

I can tell you that that $1.25M we would have saved would not make one bit of difference right now. If Damon signs here, KW/Jerry WILL come up with the money from somewhere. If he doesn't sign, then he likely got an offer he couldn't refuse from Detroit.

johnnyg83
02-17-2010, 12:23 AM
I love Pods. But Pods was a good singles hitter ... and had good speed, but questionable baserunning skills, no arm, questionable jumps, glove.

Pierre is a better base-stealer, better baserunner, push arm, better glove, better OF jumps, not to mention younger less injury-prone player. To me, that's our clearest non-pitching upgrade ... and Pods was a pleasant surprise last year.

sunofgold
02-17-2010, 12:41 AM
To me, Pods=Pierre. Pods was pretty damn good last year and injury-free(new workout regimen).

But, Pods held out and we couldn't wait around. Thus, we had to get Pierre. I don't mind that. Guess we could argue who is better some other time. Sorry for the tangent.

Now back to Damon. C'mon Damon. Come to Chicago. AJ needs a buddy. We need a DH/OF. And we need a player with a hot wife.

What else can we do to sweeten the pot? We have a street called Damen. We can re-name Damon.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-17-2010, 12:53 AM
What else can we do to sweeten the pot? We have a street called Damen. We can re-name Damon.

We really don't need to do much else to sweeten it:

1. We have the best chance at immediate success out of the three teams (Detroit is pretty much in tatters and has no identity, and Atlanta is probably going to need another year or two to get back in the NL East crown hunt). We have probably the best rotation in MLB (only Boston's can compare), and his bat would probably be that missing piece to get the Sox into the title hunt.

2. We have the most hitter-friendly ballpark out of the three, so if he wants to strike gold next year, then he's got the best chance of doing so at the Cell.

3. If he does take a lesser contract to come here, he can likely recoup most of, if not all, the money he left on the table via endorsements. Chicago is a much bigger city than Detroit/Atlanta, and thus has more opportunities for endorsements.

4. He has the opportunity to win a World Series with three different teams if he comes here.

The only thing holding us back is Borass. You know he wants his clients to take every last dollar... because that's more for him. But if Damon really wants to win, the Sox are the team to sign with. If we give him a 1 year contract for a fair amount ($4-5M), I think that that would be enough for Damon to come here if that is truly his mindset.

Rockabilly
02-17-2010, 01:03 AM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100217/SPORTS0104/2170347/1129/rss15?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

VMSNS
02-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Man, once this deal is done, some team is going to feel seriously screwed over (whether it be us or Detroit, or maybe even Atlanta).

kittle42
02-17-2010, 03:06 AM
A few mil here and a few mil there isn't really going to affect the Tigers if they were planning on getting someone else. They aren't as tight on the budget as us. I'm sure KW has some real interest in getting him... imo of course.

My ****ing ass. Spend the 50 cents, asses.

oeo
02-17-2010, 03:56 AM
My ****ing ass. Spend the 50 cents, asses.

:rolling: :roflmao: :lol:
:rolleyes:

sox1970
02-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Reinsdorf jumping in on this.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/9232570861

Lillian
02-17-2010, 07:18 AM
I'd think a lot more people would have faith that PK will produce big power numbers than Jones will. Also, there's the question of where does Jones play? Aside from Kotsay, PK is the only 1B on the team. Jones/Damon/Pierre/Rios/Damon create a logjam for OF/DH AB. Not that I'd be upset by having too much talent, but if the Sox sign Damon, Jones is the obvious man out in this situation.

And yes, I'd like to see what Jones can do too, but if Damon comes aboard, I have no problem letting Jones ride the bench or walk.

Oh and the obvious choice for lineup, IMO with Damon is...

Pierre
Beckham
Damon
TCQ
PK
AJ
Rios/TCM
Teahen
Rios/TCM

It mixes the L/R hitters well and puts people in their best position relative to average, power and speed.

Yes, your argument has merit, however look at it this way:
With Damon we would have two potential lead off candidates in Pierre and Damon, but would still be lacking power. Jones could provide that power if he plays any where near up to his past performance level. Even his numbers from last year, in half a season, are pretty respectable. If he is really in great shape, it isn't unrealistic to expect him to at least match last year's rate of production. That would pencil out to 36 doubles, 34 homers and 86 RBI's with a .323 OBP. Those numbers would do more for our offense than Pierre's stolen bases, especially since Damon could fill the lead off role.

Damon is arguably a better lead off option than Pierre because of his higher OBP. Pierre has spent the last several years playing in weak National League Divisions, while Damon has been playing in the American League East. I suspect that the OBP comparisons would favor Damon evn more dramatically if they had been playing against the same level of competition.
Moreover, an in shape Jones provides better defense than Pierre.

Again, it depends upon whether or not Jones can play up to his potential, however the point is that his potential would be more valuable to the Sox than Pierre's potential. That is my point, and why I feel that Jones should at least be given a chance.

Here is my lineup:

Damon DH
Beckham 2nd
Quentin LF
Jones RF
A. J. C
Konerko 1B
Teahen 3RD
Rios CF
Ramirez SS

Hitmen77
02-17-2010, 08:24 AM

I am going to feel REALLY sorry for Jones if we sign Damon. I mean, didn't he take less to come here? I honestly hope we don't get Damon and Jones puts up great numbers to help this team into the playoffs... But right now I would rather feel comfortable knowing we have someone who will most likely perform well enough to help us into the playoffs. (Damon)

I didn't get the impression that Jones signed here expecting to be a starter. I don't have a link, but I could have sworn that either Ozzie or KW were quoted as saying that they didn't sign Jones to be a starter for us.

I hadn't heard that he signed for less to come here. Since he's a Boras client, I'm assuming that he signed with us for $500k because he wasn't expecting any better offers.

First of all, I still don't believe we're getting Damon. But if we did, I think it will be a while before they have to make a decision on Jones. Who knows what will happen during spring training. Perhaps one of our OFs will get injured. Even going into the first month of the season, the Sox might start off with one less bullpen arm and wait until mid-May to see how things on the roster shake out.

beasly213
02-17-2010, 08:26 AM

Go get um Jerry! :gulp:

twsoxfan5
02-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Man, once this deal is done, some team is going to feel seriously screwed over (whether it be us or Detroit, or maybe even Atlanta).

I don't think the Sox will feel screwed over. If he chooses Detriot it will be because they offered him more money. If he chooses the Sox it would be because he does not want to play in Detriot. IMO if he goes somewhere else for more money I would not care, but if goes somewhere else b/c he or his wife does not like our city or our team then I would feel screwed over.

fox23
02-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Boy, if the Sox get Damon, there's going to be a lot of empty paychecks and hats getting eaten by fellow posters here. Yikes!

seventyseven
02-17-2010, 08:31 AM
With Damon we would have two potential lead off candidates in Pierre and Damon, but would still be lacking power. Jones could provide that power if he plays any where near up to his past performance level. Even his numbers from last year, in half a season, are pretty respectable. If he is really in great shape, it isn't unrealistic to expect him to at least match last year's rate of production. That would pencil out to 36 doubles, 34 homers and 86 RBI's with a .323 OBP. Those numbers would do more for our offense than Pierre's stolen bases, especially since Damon could fill the lead off role.

Damon is arguably a better lead off option than Pierre because of his higher OBP. Pierre has spent the last several years playing in weak National League Divisions, while Damon has been playing in the American League East. I suspect that the OBP comparisons would favor Damon evn more dramatically if they had been playing against the same level of competition.

Again, it depends upon whether or not Jones can play up to his potential, however the point is that his potential would be more valuable to the Sox than Pierre's potential. That is my point, and why I feel that Jones should at least be given a chance.

Here is my lineup:

Damon DH
Beckham 2nd
Quentin LF
Jones RF
A. J. C
Konerko 1B
Teahen 3RD
Rios CF
Ramirez SS

Damon hit 24 HRs last year. Pierre is a much better fit in LF than Jones in RF to start the year. If we land Damon, I think this works much better:

Pierre - LF
Damon - DH
Beckham - 2B
Konerko - 1B
Quentin - RF
AJ - C
Rios - CF
Ramirez - SS
Teahen - 3B

cards press box
02-17-2010, 08:37 AM

This is a very encouraging development. Now that Mr. Reinsdorf has gotten involved in this negotiation, I suspect the Sox are going to sign Johnny Damon.

I didn't get the impression that Jones signed here expecting to be a starter. I don't have a link, but I could have sworn that either Ozzie or KW were quoted as saying that they didn't sign Jones to be a starter for us.

I hadn't heard that he signed for less to come here. Since he's a Boras client, I'm assuming that he signed with us for $500k because he wasn't expecting any better offers.

It would be nice if Andruw Jones was the player he was four or five years ago but that is very unlikely. What's more, the Sox signed him for a little above the league minimum. If he ends up on the back of the Sox bench or released, it won't impact the Sox. With Damon, Pierre, Quentin and Rios in the Sox outfield, the Sox might well want to promote Jordan Danks as soon as possible to have his excellent glove with the big league club. I know that the Sox want Jordan Danks to get at bats and that's why he probably starts the season at AAA or AA. I do, however, see him coming to Chicago soon.

Hitmen77
02-17-2010, 08:37 AM

I believe the problem was that Pods was holding out for a multiyear deal and KW said that he couldn't just sit around waiting for Pods to make a decision because we might end up being stuck with no leadoff hitter.

So, KW moved forward with acquiring Juan Pierre. If he would have known for sure that Pods would have accepted a $1.75 million deal in the end, then the Sox may very well have re-signed him.

russ99
02-17-2010, 08:39 AM

Here is my lineup:

Damon DH
Beckham 2nd
Quentin LF
Jones RF
A. J. C
Konerko 1B
Teahen 3RD
Rios CF
Ramirez SS

Really? Juan Pierre isn't only about OBP, it's what he does when he gets on base. And besides, he doesn't strike out, puts the ball in play, is an excellent bunter and makes things happen.

Damon has lost a step on the basepaths and is older. Regardless of his OBP numbers, Damon is a poor candidate for leadoff. #2 or #6 is a better idea.

And even if we sign Damon, that doesn't mean that Ozzie's rotation plan is out the window, in fact it makes more of a case for it.

Craig Grebeck
02-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Really? Juan Pierre isn't only about OBP, it's what he does when he gets on base. And besides, he doesn't strike out, puts the ball in play, is an excellent bunter and makes things happen.

Damon has lost a step on the basepaths and is older. Regardless of his OBP numbers, Damon is a poor candidate for leadoff. #2 or #6 is a better idea.

And even if we sign Damon, that doesn't mean that Ozzie's rotation plan is out the window, in fact it makes more of a case for it.
No, no it doesn't. Step into 2010. Andruw Jones sucks, and despite how many times people have pleaded with you to show any evidence that he doesn't, you still keep assuming that he should receive a significant amount of at-bats.

Johnny Damon is a very good hitter. Jones is not.

russ99
02-17-2010, 08:49 AM
No, no it doesn't. Step into 2010. Andruw Jones sucks, and despite how many times people have pleaded with you to show any evidence that he doesn't, you still keep assuming that he should receive a significant amount of at-bats.

Johnny Damon is a very good hitter. Jones is not.

Did I make a case for Jones here? The poster before was taking Pierre out of the lineup for Jones. Even I who thinks Jones can turn it around thinks he should get no more than 300-350 AB.

I think there's no absolutes here. Five years ago Johnny Damon was a very good hitter and Andruw Jones was a very good hitter.

What they can do for us this year due to Damon's age (There's a reason he's unsigned the week before Spring Training opens) and Jones' falling off the planet is a matter of conjecture.

Jimmy Piersall
02-17-2010, 08:50 AM
This is a very encouraging development. Now that Mr. Reinsdorf has gotten involved in this negotiation, I suspect the Sox are going to sign Johnny Damon.

Or...Boras decides to mess with JR just for kicks and drags this
out some more,leading the Sox all the way and then pulling the
rug out at the end.And he would do it.

Craig Grebeck
02-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Did I make a case for Jones here? The poster before was taking Pierre out of the lineup for Jones. Even I who thinks Jones can turn it around thinks he should get no more than 300-350 AB.

I think there's no absolutes here. Five years ago Johnny Damon was a very good hitter and Andruw Jones was a very good hitter.

What they can do for us this year due to Damon's age (There's a reason he's unsigned the week before Spring Training opens) and Jones' falling off the planet is a matter of conjecture.
There's reasonable conjecture and there's unreasonable bull****. Tell me: how does Damon make the case for a rotating DH stronger?

Slappy
02-17-2010, 08:52 AM
What can "Jerry Reinsdorf recently got involved in johnny damon talks" possibly mean? Something akin to the Tigers situation where Mike Ilitch gave the go ahead?

I guess it's encouraging, after I was almost sure we didn't have a chance...

Man, my ticker can't take all this back and forth :redface:

voodoochile
02-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Here is my lineup:

Damon DH
Beckham 2nd
Quentin LF
Jones RF
A. J. C
Konerko 1B
Teahen 3RD
Rios CF
Ramirez SS

If Jones puts up career average numbers as you are suggesting, then obviously he's a huge addition to the club. However, we all know that Ozzie like speed also, so at least initially, I'd expect to see a lot more of my type of lineup, but again, having too much talent is never a bad thing provided they can keep the egos in check.

Mod Note: I've had some complaints about the boys locker room comments about the various wives in this thread. I'm glad to see it stopped, and ask that no one restart it. Thanks.

asindc
02-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Or...Boras decides to mess with JR just for kicks and drags this
out some more,leading the Sox all the way and then pulling the
rug out at the end.And he would do it.

The only way that could happen is if the Sox put more money on the table after JR got involved. If they stick to their guns, Boras is in no better position.

Hitmen77
02-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Boy, if the Sox get Damon, there's going to be a lot of empty paychecks and hats getting eaten by fellow posters here. Yikes!

I'll gladly eat my hat if the Sox sign Damon, but I'm not going to start planning that meal over Twitter rumors.:cool:

cws05champ
02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
There's reasonable conjecture and there's unreasonable bull****. Tell me: how does Damon make the case for a rotating DH stronger?
Well, there would be one more person in the rotation. Damon would play some LF, some DH as would Pierre. The DH AB's that they both would have would take away from Jones AB's.

JermaineDye05
02-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Go get um Jerry! :gulp:

If we get Damon and the Sox don't win the Central, KW and Ozzie will have "a lot of 'splainin' to do."

guillen4life13
02-17-2010, 09:45 AM
My thinking is that Damon should be the everyday DH, with Jones as the primary 4th OF. Jones will spell everyone else in the OF, and will get his share of playing time due to Carlos Quentin. My ideal lineup for Opening Day:

LF Pierre (LH)
DH Damon (LH)
2B Beckham (RH)
RF Quentin (RH)
1B Konerko (RH)
C Pierzynski (LH)
CF Rios (RH)
3B Teahen (LH)
SS Ramirez (RH)

dickallen15
02-17-2010, 09:49 AM

There's also a reason the Dodgers are paying Pierre more not to play for them than the White Sox are to play for them.

spawn
02-17-2010, 09:50 AM
There's also a reason the Dodgers are paying Pierre more not to play for them than the White Sox are to play for them.
Yeah...his name is Manny Ramirez.

Slappy
02-17-2010, 10:05 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/02/johnny-damon-rumors-wednesday-1.html

soxinem1
02-17-2010, 10:10 AM

With a lack of punch in the lineup, Rios not a sure thing, an injury-plagued guy in TCQ, and PK no sure bet for 30 HR, why would you cut him?

Jones played well as a part-time DH/OF with TEX until he hurt his hammie. If someone gets hurt or is not hitting, Jones can be plugged in.

If anything, the depth chart looks better with Damon and Jones on the roster.

aryzner
02-17-2010, 10:11 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/02/johnny-damon-rumors-wednesday-1.html

Maybe Hawk promised to come up with a really cool nickname for Damon and now Damon is convinced that he must join the White Sox.

Noneck
02-17-2010, 10:12 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/a-thaw-in-white-sox-boras-relations.html

soxinem1
02-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Maybe Hawk promised to come up with a really cool nickname for Damon and now Damon is convinced that he must join the White Sox.

Maybe Hawk will make him the new J.D.!!!!!!

Corlose 15
02-17-2010, 10:13 AM

I think there is the case that you've added a solid hitter to the rotation. Damon should still play everyday or close to it but with his versatility Ozzie can still use the DH to give a "day off" to somebody in the lineup, whether it's Quentin, Pierre, or Konerko. The point of the rotation is to have someone who can do more than just hit.

Corlose 15
02-17-2010, 10:14 AM
With a lack of punch in the lineup, Rios not a sure thing, an injury-plagued guy in TCQ, and PK no sure bet for 30 HR, why would you cut him?

Jones played well as a part-time DH/OF with TEX until he hurt his hammie. If someone gets hurt or is not hitting, Jones can be plugged in.

If anything, the depth chart looks better with Damon and Jones on the roster.

I think Jones is useful as a backup OF/DH and for providing right handed power off of the bench.

Domeshot17
02-17-2010, 10:18 AM

To me it makes perfect sense, and Ive agreed with your stance on it most the offseason of needing another bat. This is why I say it:

Pierre and Damon allow you to use the DH spot to rest Quentin and Rios. While not GREAT DEFENDERS, Pierre and Damon for 10-15 games in CF won't kill you. Kotsay now rotates around as a bench player who just gives the corners and konerko time off but he is a true 10th man now, not a rotating 9th with Jones.

I mean we all agree Damon is a massive upgrade to this roster. I just think hes a guy who makes sense. You have 4 capable OF (5 with Kotsay as a backup).

gr8mexico
02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Today is Wednesday and I'm ready for some big news.

twsoxfan5
02-17-2010, 10:22 AM

This.

Thatguyoverthere
02-17-2010, 10:26 AM
All the reports are still saying the Tigers have offered $7 million compared to our $4 million. If this is true I see no way Damon signs here for much less. Hopefully JR can bump that up another couple million at least, maybe defer some of the money?

Lillian
02-17-2010, 10:30 AM

Good point. Thanks

soxinem1
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
All the reports are still saying the Tigers have offered $7 million compared to our $4 million. If this is true I see no way Damon signs here for much less. Hopefully JR can bump that up another couple million at least, maybe defer some of the money?

Nothing suprises me, but if ol Uncle Jerry gets involved, I hope it is not just to offer the same $$$$. It might be to add an extra year possibly.....

Why would he get involved otherwise, to say how great the White Sox are to play for???:scratch:

Even so, I wouldn't go much higher.

asindc

I don't think there is much reason to believe that $7m offer, whether it is for one or two years, which is what KW is probably thinking as well. Even if it is true, I doubt the Sox will match that. I'm guessing that when Cashman told Boras to get lost, Boras said "well, there is always Illitch."

JermaineDye05

The only reason I can see Damon signing here for less is for another chance at this:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2005/12/20/1135103057_1822.jpg

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=22261

thedudeabides
02-17-2010, 10:38 AM

If they get Damon, it will be a rotating DH. I'm not sure what you're missing here. Damon, Pierre, Quentin, and Paulie will all get a significant amount of at bats at DH. Damon hits lefties well, so those are more likely the days that Pierre will sit and Jones will play the outfield.

And as far as Jones lack of at bats, or having to cut him, that will probably work itself out. No need to rush that decision before the end of spring training. There's a chance one of Jones, Kotsay, Quentin, Konerko, or even Pierre would be banged up at some point.

dickallen15
02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
If JR is involved, its probably not about straight money, KW or probably Hahn is who is probably the Sox front man on this, if it all is true, can do that, but deferrals, incentives etc.

soxinem1
02-17-2010, 10:41 AM
If Damon signs it would remind me of the Julio Franco signing in 2004. A good hitter who for the first time in his career would be used in a run-producing position, and reduced field time.

Franco was a SS, then 2B who became a DH/1B and had the best season of his career in 2004. He would have had about 120 RBI if the season didn't end early.

And Damon has that chance too. He probably will not be hitting cleanup, but he will be in the top three.

Let's go KW, make it happen!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
02-17-2010, 10:44 AM
The only reason I can see Damon signing here for less is for another chance at this:

Apparently his Wife is pushing for Chicago and honestly who can blame her?

Huisj
02-17-2010, 10:47 AM
If Damon signs it would remind me of the Julio Franco signing in 2004. A good hitter who for the first time in his career would be used in a run-producing position, and reduced field time.

Franco was a SS, then 2B who became a DH/1B and had the best season of his career in 2004. He would have had about 120 RBI if the season didn't end early.

And Damon has that chance too. He probably will not be hitting cleanup, but he will be in the top three.

Let's go KW, make it happen!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

And that's not even getting into how well the Franco signing in 1994 worked out. :tongue:

beasly213
02-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Apparently his Wife is pushing for Chicago and honestly who can blame her?

Chicago in the Summer. :cool: I can't wait. Or maybe she's pushing because she has been to US Cellular and loves the smell of Grilled onions.

dickallen15
02-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Why did they need Manny if they have Pierre? They signed Andruw Jones to take Pierre's spot the year before. He's fine at the price the Sox are paying, but anyone saying Johnny Damon isn't the offensive player Juan Pierre is probably needs to go straight to rehab.

Rockabilly
02-17-2010, 10:52 AM
A friend of mine from NY. Told me that Marc Malusis of WFAN reported that Reinsdorf will be meeting with Scott Boras today in Arizona.

Did anyone else hear this?

spawn
02-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Why did they need Manny if they have Pierre?
Seriously?:scratch:
They signed Andruw Jones to take Pierre's spot the year before.
And yet Pierre played in all 162 games for them in '08. :shrug:

asindc
Why did they need Manny if they have Pierre? They signed Andruw Jones to take Pierre's spot the year before. He's fine at the price the Sox are paying, but anyone saying Johnny Damon isn't the offensive player Juan Pierre is probably needs to go straight to rehab.

No one has said that, or even suggested that. When it was asked why did LAD pay Pierre to go away, the response was that they are already paying Manny big bucks. LAD's owner is going through a well-publicized nasty divorce and his financial problems have been a source of discontent among LAD fans and media for over a year. It was a salary dump, plain and simple.

The reason they signed Manny even though they already had Pierre is because Manny is a lot better than Pierre. At the time Manny joined LAD, he was also a lot better than Jason Bay, but that does not mean Bay sucked then or that Boston preferred Bay's on-field production over Manny's.

mzh
A friend of mine from NY. Told me that Marc Malusis of WFAN reported that Reinsdorf will be meeting with Scott Boras today in Arizona.

Did anyone else hear this?
I heard that JR was getting involved, but if this is what that means I'm liking our chances.

voodoochile
02-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Chicago in the Summer. :cool: I can't wait. Or maybe she's pushing because she has been to US Cellular and loves the smell of Grilled onions.

Well the comparison is also to Detroit. I think Chicago is the greatest city in the world (yeah, I'm biased) but compared to Detroit, Cleveland looks good...:tongue:

dickallen15
02-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Seriously?:scratch:

And yet Pierre played in all 162 games for them in '08. :shrug:

You spend more money to throw a guy making $10 million a year on the bench. That's beyond strange if he's an ultra-productive player. Considering they had to eat more than half the money remaining on his contract, he probably isn't worth the contract.

Are you counting Spring Training appearances in 2008? I'm showing 119 games.

soltrain21
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Well, to be fair - the Tigers have been to the World Series after the last time we were.

voodoochile
02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
You spend more money to throw a guy making $10 million a year on the bench. That's beyond strange if he's an ultra-productive player. Considering they had to eat more than half the money remaining on his contract, he probably isn't worth the contract.

Saying Pierre isn't worth $10M/year doesn't mean he isn't worth anything. Yeah, he was way over paid when he signed with the Dodgers, everyone pretty much agreed with that, but he's worth the $4M average per year the Sox are paying him or damned close to it.

dickallen15
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Saying Pierre isn't worth $10M/year doesn't mean he isn't worth anything. Yeah, he was way over paid when he signed with the Dodgers, everyone pretty much agreed with that, but he's worth the $4M average per year the Sox are paying him or damned close to it.

I've already agreed to that. My initial post was to a post that basically said Damon was getting old, Pierre was the much better option to lead off because he can do so many things. Damon can do more offensively than Pierre. The post said Damon being unsigned at this point was ample proof he's not very valuable. I say that's BS. I watch this Boras production and I think, how long until Johnny signs with Atlanta?

spawn
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't know what the Dodgers are looking for. It's obvious they overspent for him. It's also pretty obvious that Ramirez is a more productive offensive player than Pierre. One of them had to go. As far as the contract is concerned, luckily the Sox aren't overpaying for Pierre's services.

I looked at the wrong year. My bad.

asindc
02-17-2010, 11:08 AM

While Pierre was not an ultra-productive player, they replaced him with somone who was. As Voodoo noted, almost everyone thought it was strange to begin with when LAD offered Pierre that contract. LAD's poor management skills are not an indication of Pierre's ability.

Jimmy Piersall
02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I heard that JR was getting involved, but if this is what that means I'm liking our chances.

I wish i shared your optimism but i think JR will figure out in 2 minutes
that Boras is jerking him around ,and then tell him to hit the door.I
guess i'm the dark cloud today.

Noneck
02-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I wish i shared your optimism but i think JR will figure out in 2 minutes
that Boras is jerking him around ,and then tell him to hit the door.I
guess i'm the dark cloud today.

I agree, I can only see them being oil and water when they meet. I think the Sox would be in a better position if he was only involved by telling Williams that he can go in his change purse for this one.

Rockabilly
02-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I predict that the Sox will sign Damon to a 1yr/ 7.5M deal. Than KW will hope that Linebrink has a great spring so he can trade him for a prospect.

DirtySox
02-17-2010, 11:24 AM
I predict that the Sox will sign Damon to a 1yr/ 7.5M deal. Than KW will hope that Linebrink has a great spring so he can trade him for a prospect.

Nope. Linebrink will still have absolute minimal value.

Rockabilly
02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Nope. Linebrink will still have absolute minimal value.

If we can trade Linebrink and 2M for a mid level prospect some team might go for it.

beasly213
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
If we can trade Linebrink and 2M for a mid level prospect some team might go for it.

Trade Linebrink in June when he'll probably have value to someone. He normally falls apart in the 2nd half.

dickallen15
02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Trading Linebrink would be tricky. He'd have to have some success to move him with his contract, but if the Sox are winning and he's throwing well, moving him makes little sense. I think he'll be better this year.

twsoxfan5
02-17-2010, 11:40 AM

Really, so you think the Sox will offer .5 mil than Detriot is offering? I would be very suprised if they did that.

Sargeant79
02-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Really, so you think the Sox will offer .5 mil than Detriot is offering? I would be very suprised if they did that.

I agree. I don't see us coming close to Detroit's offer (if the size of the offer has been reported accurately).

If Damon comes here, it's because this is where he wants to be, not because we paid him the most.

Rockabilly
02-17-2010, 11:49 AM

I'm hoping that Damon would take less money and sign with us but about 95% of athletes sign with the team that offers the most money..

I believe that if the Sox sign Damon. We will be top contenders for the World Series.

spawn
02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Joe Cowley weighs in:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/02/the_latest_on_damon.html

dickallen15
02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Joe Cowley weighs in:

The guy that said no way on Damon. Interesting. Its seems strange JR has time to deal with Boras right now considering its a critical time for the Bulls for another 24 hours.

soltrain21
02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Joe Cowley weighs in:

Thanks for absolutely nothing, Cowley.

DirtySox
The guy that said no way on Damon. Interesting. Its seems strange JR has time to deal with Boras right now considering its a critical time for the Bulls for another 24 hours.

Pretty sure JR favors his Sox over the Bulls. At least that's what people complain about often.

GoGoCrede
Joe Cowley weighs in:

Meh. Nothing new or particularly interesting. And he was late to break the Damon news last week, too. Cowley, you're falling down on the job.

beasly213
02-17-2010, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure how he has a job... However I do suprisingly like him when he is on the score.

Pablo_Honey
02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I believe that if the Sox sign Damon. We will be top contenders for the World Series.
Erm, no, not really. Even though having Damon's bat at DH is an upgrade, we are not talking about a Pujols-like player here. Damon alone can't make up for a possible lack of prodution from Alexei, Bacon, Carlos, Rios and/or Teahen. This team's offense depends totally on those guys performing regardless of Damon. If those guys don't come through, we'd be lucky to make it to postseason.

Anyways, I'd be ecstatic if we sign Damon at 4 mil but if it's anything close to 7 mil, I don't want no part of it (granted it's 3 mil and not my money but still 7 mil sounds a tad bit expensive) I seriously doubt we will sign Damon though. I think this is all just a publicity stunt by JR/KW and Boras. It's either Atlanta or Detroit.

GoGoCrede
02-17-2010, 12:05 PM

I, for one, was dying to know more about their Basebrawl on TNA a couple years back.

Actually, that entire thing is on YouTube so he's not even being original with that.

twsoxfan5
I'm hoping that Damon would take less money and sign with us but about 95% of athletes sign with the team that offers the most money..

I would agree with you on this point. Most athletes go where the money is. I just don't see the Sox offering that kind of money for him. I think if he signs here it will be for less then Detriot.

dickallen15
Pretty sure JR favors his Sox over the Bulls. At least that's what people complain about often.
Yes, and while I'm sure he can deal with both, I would think at least up until tomorrow's deadline, he should be concentrating on Bulls business if indeed half the rumors out there about them are true. After 2pm tomorrow he should be able to give Boras a lot of time.

Jimmy Piersall
02-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Erm, no, not really. Even though having Damon's bat at DH is an upgrade, we are not talking about a Pujols-like player here. Damon alone can't make up for a possible lack of prodution from Alexei, Bacon, Carlos, Rios and/or Teahen. This team's offense depends totally on those guys performing regardless of Damon. If those guys don't come through, we'd be lucky to make it to postseason.

Anyways, I'd be ecstatic if we sign Damon at 4 mil but if it's anything close to 7 mil, I don't want no part of it (granted it's 3 mil and not my money but still 7 mil sounds a tad bit expensive) I seriously doubt we will sign Damon though. I think this is all just a publicity stunt by JR/KW and Boras. It's either Atlanta or Detroit.

4 mil,7mil,10 mil...whatever,just get the guy.Jones & Kotsay belong as
bench guys not in the lineup every day.Getting Damon would take care
of that.