PDA

View Full Version : Is Frank a Hall of Famer? Former Royals beat writer says YES

Fenway
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
This is a great read

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/02/15/frank-thomas/

SephClone89
02-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Yep, that's a good one.

asindc
02-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Posnanski nailed it. His blog probably should be mailed to Telander.

doublem23
02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Posnanski is great. I don't know how KC keeps winding up with great sports journalists, but they do.

Oblong
02-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Posnanski is absolutely the best sportswriter in the country. Hands down. His blog is one of my every day links and when I see a new entry it's a very exciting time.

This column is fantastic. I like his line about the steroid era never going to KC.

He says not only should he be in, but it should be unanimous. He and Maddux are biggest shoo ins of the era.

Lip Man 1
02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Rob Neyer big Royals fan and stat-geek (oh well...) had a story at ESPN.com saying the same thing.

Lip

KyWhiSoxFan
02-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Great article, and I concur: Thomas should be a lock for the Hall of Fame. It's should not even be up for debate.

One thing not said in that article, when he was talking about Albert Pujols and comparing Thomas' stats to Pujols: Is Pujols clean?

I have my doubts, but nothing to back it up. Pujols seems to have been given a pass so far on suspicion.

LoveYourSuit
02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I got the chills reading that article.

I read that thing and those numbers, Frank might go down as one of the most under-appreciated athletes ever.

BTW:
I have mixed feelings about Albert Pujols and how "clean" he really is, especially playing under the guard watch of Tony LaRussa :rolleyes:.

SI1020
02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Posnanski is great. I don't know how KC keeps winding up with great sports journalists, but they do. I agree with you on Posnanski, and Chicago used to have its share of great sports journalists. I fully understand why a lot of younger fans seek alternative sources. The newer stats are a partial but incomplete explanation.

HomeFish
02-16-2010, 11:53 AM
The question is not if, but when.

pythons007
02-16-2010, 12:31 PM
One of the comments left a link to an article about how Minnesota might have 2 tainted championships.

http://www.bugsandcranks.com/the-clubhouse/baseball/bill-james-thinks-steroids-fueled-the-twins-two-championships/

TheOldRoman
02-16-2010, 12:38 PM
I have mixed feelings about Albert Pujols and how "clean" he really is, especially playing under the guard watch of Tony LaRussa :rolleyes:.I really like Albert, and I hope he is clean. A-Rod was always a douchebag, so nobody cared when he was outed as a roider. Pujols has been the great hope through this, that someone could put up monster numbers in the post-roid era and be clean. If he were found to be a roider, I think baseball would really be devastated.

I won't accuse Pujols of roiding, but I was very dissapointed to hear his comment from Cardinals fest about McGwire that "everyone makes mistakes, you shouldn't judge him, etc."

As for this article, great stuff.

spawn
02-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Great article. Frank is definitely an HOF'er. It seems more than a fair share of baseball writers feel this way as well.

DrCrawdad
02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
This is a great read

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/02/15/frank-thomas/

The best and most convincing case for Frank Thomas that I've read, not that I needed to be convinced. But if anyone reads that and still says, "well, he was a DH so..." then that person is not open to reasons, facts and logic.

Lip Man 1
02-18-2010, 05:51 PM
This week in Sports Illustrated, Tom Verducci writes that Thomas and Tom Glavine both will be first ballot Hall of Famers in 2014.

Lip

chisox77
02-18-2010, 07:44 PM
An awesome article! So great to read the work of a sports journalist who knows how to write, and knows and appreciates greatness when he sees it.

Frank Thomas, Chicago White Sox, 1B/DH, 1990-2005: 1st Ballot HOFer!!!

bpk5555
02-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Great article, and I concur: Thomas should be a lock for the Hall of Fame. It's should not even be up for debate.

One thing not said in that article, when he was talking about Albert Pujols and comparing Thomas' stats to Pujols: Is Pujols clean?

I have my doubts, but nothing to back it up. Pujols seems to have been given a pass so far on suspicion.

I can't help but ask those same questions about Pujols. Frank should be immune to that at this point considering how actively he opposed it.

Out of curiosity, has there been a hitter in the modern era with 500 HRs and no steroid suspicion that wasn't a first ballot guy?