PDA

View Full Version : Cubs figure out new way to hose their fans.

DumpJerry
02-15-2010, 10:04 AM
First they set up their own ticket brokerage, now this (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/15/sports/baseball/15base.html).

cws05champ
02-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Not surprised....I know our fan base would be outraged, but people will pay for the cubs tickets because they may be able to sell them for even more than they pay for them. I make no bones about it, I hate the Cubs and most of their "fan base".

voodoochile
02-15-2010, 10:17 AM
RUH ROH...

I just got one of those chills that tells me we are looking at the next wave of tiered pricing. This is going to become a common event in years to come for lots of teams. I'm sure the Red Sox and Yankees are already slapping their foreheads thinking, "How did I not think of this first?"

So Sox games are going to be some of the first to go and they'll be even more expenisve. One more reason for not ever attending those games at Wrigley ever again...

Marqhead
02-15-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm debating whether or not to hop on their, pay the extra 20% for something like Cubs-Cards with the hope of scalping them later for even more.

EDIT: I'm definitely trying for Sox-Cubs.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Wow....so now you pay them for the privilege of buying "early". I agree with Voodoo...that train has already left the station. Destination -fans' wallets.

DumpJerry
02-15-2010, 10:35 AM
The Cub fan in my office is ok with this. "Nobody is forcing us to do this."

voodoochile
02-15-2010, 10:37 AM

If you believe in the concept of free market you pretty much have to accept this. Tiered pricing is here to stay, the only question is what the tiers will be.

Steelrod
02-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Then you don't mind building a new stadium in Mesa. We don't like being forced to!
The stadium would be a good place to spend the extra 15%.

C-Dawg
02-15-2010, 10:44 AM
"The Cubs said they introduced the presale for fans with specific dates in mind — like a game on someone’s birthday. They figure fans will pay the premium for the assurance of being able to attend the game they want and to avoid potentially paying more from ticket resellers like StubHub."

Or Premium Tickets, Inc.

getonbckthr
02-15-2010, 11:30 AM
If people are willing to pay why shouldn't they get every dollar.

ewokpelts
02-15-2010, 11:59 AM
The Red Sox(who have no trouble moving tickets) also had a master card presale offer. However, it didnt involve paying MORE to the red sox. You got ONE chance to buy tickets early for ONE game. No surcharge. Just tickets.com fees.And you obviously had to use your mastercard.

White Sox presales were based off your previous purchases(season tcket package, ozzie plan, or sox pride club memberhsip).

WhiffleBall
02-15-2010, 12:12 PM
20% is not bad for hard to get games especially if you stick to the cheap upper deck seats. The markups for the sox cubs games at Wrigley are usually at least 100% on stubhub and craigslist.

I was able to get on fairly easy (virtual waiting room as usual) and picked up 6 together for the Friday crosstown game. Total after markup and all fees was $41 for upper deck section 515. That is the same amount that I paid for sox cubs tickets at the cell in section 544 during last weeks presale. They also allow for 6 seats together for the crosstown games while the Sox limit you to a maximum of 4.

Sad
02-15-2010, 12:31 PM
20% is not bad for hard to get games especially if you stick to the cheap upper deck seats. The markups for the sox cubs games at Wrigley are usually at least 100% on stubhub and craigslist.

I was able to get on fairly easy (virtual waiting room as usual) and picked up 6 together for the Friday crosstown game. Total after markup and all fees was $41 for upper deck section 515. That is the same amount that I paid for sox cubs tickets at the cell in section 544 during last weeks presale. They also allow for 6 seats together for the crosstown games while the Sox limit you to a maximum of 4.

I had about a 30-min wait...

that's where I like to sit at Wrigley is 500-level, Row 1 as there is more leg-room...

now I don't have to mess with staying up late this Friday trying to get tix for the 3-4 games I wanted to attend

beasly213
02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Cub fans can't be mad at this. If they pay it the team will continue to do it.

raven1
02-15-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm glad the Cubs did this - I was able to get tickets to all 3 Sox games at less than half of what I would pay on stub hub! Whether you like the Cubs or not, you can't disagree with the basic economics of this - if you're selling out almost every game your ticket prices are too low and you are leaving money on the table. Actually, they are doing their fans (not to mention opposing team fans as well) a big favor by doing this since it gives everyone fair access to the games they want to go to without having to pay scalper rates.

ewokpelts
02-15-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm glad the Cubs did this - I was able to get tickets to all 3 Sox games at less than half of what I would pay on stub hub! Whether you like the Cubs or not, you can't disagree with the basic economics of this - if you're selling out almost every game your ticket prices are too low and you are leaving money on the table. Actually, they are doing their fans (not to mention opposing team fans as well) a big favor by doing this since it gives everyone fair access to the games they want to go to without having to pay scalper rates.no. the cubs simply did a lil scalping of thier own.

the angels draw 3 million plus a year, yet have tickets priced under 10 bucks.

the red sox offer $12 bleacher seats despite selling out every game for the last 7 years..
why do the "leave money on the table"? because not every fan can afford $65 tickets for one game. and they still have higher priced options elsewhere in the park.

soxinem1
02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
First they set up their own ticket brokerage, now this (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/15/sports/baseball/15base.html).

I heard this on the news this morning.

They shouldn't be suprised. They have been getting hosed for years.

Besides, how did they expect the renevations would be paid for?

DumpJerry
02-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Well, one of my FB friends who is a Cub to the extreme posted her disgust with this new approach to soaking them. Several of her Blue Friends agreed it was a pretty ****ty move on the part of the Cubs. One of them posted he wishes he could become a Red Sox fan.:scratch:

The person who made the original post said she saved 5% by using her MasterCard. No, silly, you paid only 15% extra.......(it was for a Cards game on her b-day).

Rohan
02-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Hopefully this will lead to more revenue for the White Sox brought in by the casual baseball fans or families who just want to take their kids to a ball game.

veeter
02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Cub fans have to realize Ricketts is Latin for 'business as usual'.

DumpJerry
02-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Hopefully this will lead to more revenue for the White Sox brought in by the casual baseball fans or families who just want to take their kids to a ball game.
Since Cub tickets start out 1/3 higher than comparable Sox tickets, probably not. That market is fully tapped already.

OldRomanPizza
02-16-2010, 12:51 AM
I guess my good sport, Sox fan sister who takes the Cub fan mother will have to shell out more dough now.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Purely as an investment, I purchased 4 tickets in the dugout box 26, row C. These are literally right NEXT to the Sox dugout and will be just 10 feet away from the Sox players on deck.

Check out this link (http://home.comcast.net/~ticketsindy/Wrigley/PICT3794.JPG) for a pic of how ridiculously close these seats are.

SephClone89
02-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Purely as an investment, I purchased 4 tickets in the dugout box 26, row C. These are literally right NEXT to the Sox dugout and will be just 10 feet away from the Sox players on deck.

Check out this link (http://home.comcast.net/%7Eticketsindy/Wrigley/PICT3794.JPG) for a pic of how ridiculously close these seats are.

How much do these things cost? Jesus.

34rancher
02-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Got to wonder if MLB steps in though to check out the books for the revenue sharing with the visiting teams. I feel bad for the fans of teams like the Pirates, Reds, and Brewers. You know that before the season starts, the rich have gotten richer, and you will fall further out of competition. Just sitting there and watching the Cubs Cardinals play each other making more money off the spilt gate than you are for a home game.
Oh, how baseball needs a floor/ceiling in salaries..

LITTLE NELL
02-16-2010, 06:40 AM
Are the sheep lining up yet?

doublem23
02-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Got to wonder if MLB steps in though to check out the books for the revenue sharing with the visiting teams. I feel bad for the fans of teams like the Pirates, Reds, and Brewers. You know that before the season starts, the rich have gotten richer, and you will fall further out of competition. Just sitting there and watching the Cubs Cardinals play each other making more money off the spilt gate than you are for a home game.

That doesn't have anything to do with ticket prices.

This also definitely explains how the small market Rays ended up in the World Series in 2008.

DumpJerry
02-16-2010, 08:07 AM
:scratch: So, if there was a floor/ceiling, then the teams would stop trying to make as much money as possible? The bottom line is that the Cubs are going to sell those tickets no matter what price they assign to them. If I were a Cub fan, I would seriously consider a boycott of going to games. I've boycotted the White Sox at times on principle. Shortly after Veeck sold the team and I saw how the fans were treated, I stopped for a year or so (I was spoiled having Veeck for the four years I was in high school). After the 1994 strike ended, it took me about a year and half to get me in the ballpark again.

ewokpelts
02-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Oh, how baseball needs a floor/ceiling in salaries..there's no split of the gate.

russ99
02-16-2010, 08:52 AM

I'm really hoping the sports teams get on the concept set up by Trent Reznor for the Nine Inch Nails concerts and stop this scalping idiocy.

For those who don't know, there was no paper ticket, your credit/debit card was your ticket.

That way only the people going to the events are buying tickets when they go on sale. I could see teams being on board, since they get nothing from "non-team sponsored" :wink: ticket brokers and minimal cash from Stub Hub.

I do understand that some season ticket holders can't use all their tickets, so there should be a team-based way of letting those loyal customers re-sell without the assumption of making massive profit on the deal.

cws05champ
02-16-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm really hoping the sports teams get on the concept set up by Trent Reznor for the Nine Inch Nails concerts and stop this scalping idiocy.

For those who don't know, there was no paper ticket, your credit/debit card was your ticket.

That way only the people going to the events are buying tickets when they go on sale. I could see teams being on board, since they get nothing from "non-team sponsored" :wink: ticket brokers and minimal cash from Stub Hub.

I do understand that some season ticket holders can't use all their tickets, so there should be a team-based way of letting those loyal customers re-sell without the assumption of making massive profit on the deal.
Why would they do that? There is really no incentive...if people want to resell their tickets at a profit or just because they can't make it it makes no difference to the team. In fact it would be a detriment to them if those seats are not filled and people aren't buying the $8 beers.

Craig Grebeck
02-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Why is this a problem? I don't understand. The Sox will follow should they have exceptional demand.

white sox bill
02-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Hate to say this but I think the Cubs can pretty much ask whatever they want and assuming its not something like 6 times national average, they will likely get it. All for a pathetic franchise. Its like owing a restaurant that serves stale bread and moldy soup..yet people line up outside to get in. Wrigley dump as it is, is a goldmine.

g0g0
02-16-2010, 10:29 AM
At first I was a little leery of this, but like others have said - if someone will pay for it then great. The only thing for the regular fans will be the missed opportunities to get tickets for the big rivalries and or games like Yankees if they want. But I see it as I have 162 games; surely I can find a couple to go to!

white sox bill
02-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Theres an old saying in business, something like "Your asking price is based on what the market will bear". Classic case here

SoxRox
02-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Check out this link (http://home.comcast.net/~ticketsindy/Wrigley/PICT3794.JPG) for a pic of how ridiculously close these seats are.

Is that Bob Uecker in the pic?

ewokpelts
02-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Is that Bob Uecker in the pic?yep

Mohoney
02-19-2010, 06:37 AM
:scratch: So, if there was a floor/ceiling, then the teams would stop trying to make as much money as possible? The bottom line is that the Cubs are going to sell those tickets no matter what price they assign to them. If I were a Cub fan, I would seriously consider a boycott of going to games. I've boycotted the White Sox at times on principle. Shortly after Veeck sold the team and I saw how the fans were treated, I stopped for a year or so (I was spoiled having Veeck for the four years I was in high school). After the 1994 strike ended, it took me about a year and half to get me in the ballpark again.

And both times, you ended up back at the park, because you love the game too much to stay away.

This just proves the Cubs' point. No matter how much people might want to stay away, sooner or later, they all end up coming back. Even if they don't, there's always somebody else waiting in the wings, so they won't be missed anyway.

The days of a live major league baseball game being a low-cost form of entertainment for the whole family are gone, and they're not coming back.

GoSox2K3
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Theres an old saying in business, something like "Your asking price is based on what the market will bear". Classic case here

I don't have a huge problem with the Cubs doing this since, as you say the market will support this. But I will say one thing, if it was the Sox that initiated this pricing scheme, they'd be ripped to shreds in the local media for their money grubbing, fan-hating ways. When the Cubs do it, it's portrayed as the team rightfully cashing in on the wonderful mystique of Wrigley.

That's just the way things have been covered in Chicago for years.

ewokpelts
02-19-2010, 11:46 AM
the 1997 cubs/sox ticket package was ripped pretty hard back in the day, yet today, plenty of teams offer fixed game packages wher epremium games are attached to dog games.

sox were unlucky in that they tried it first.

Foulke You
02-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Did anyone have any luck getting crosstown tickets at Wrigley this year? I wasn't able to get them despite getting past the virtual waiting room very early. Tickets.com seemed extra buggy (even more than usual). It wouldn't let me get past the order processing screen and would eventually time out and say something like "too much traffic, please try again".

I have a feeling the new pre-scalping sale on Monday gutted the available tickets today. Most upper deck tickets for the Sox series were sold out within a few minutes which leads me to believe they sold most of those on Monday. After talking with some of my Cubs fan friends, they are thinking the pre-sale gutted available tickets as well. Many of them have had zero luck getting through today and are amazed at how quickly all the tickets are gone for prime weekend days. Much faster than previous years.