PDA

View Full Version : With ST Almost Here, How Many Games Will The 2010 White Sox Win?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2010, 02:58 AM
For last season, I polled you guys on 12/23/08 (199 total votes) and then again on 3/28/09 (152 total votes) and received the following results....

How many games will the 2009 White Sox win?
Option..............12/23/08..............03/28/09..............Change
Fewer than 81....48 (24%).............07 (4.5%)............. -19.5%
81-85...............79 (40%)..............42 (27.5%)........... -12.5%
86-90...............54 (27%)..............62 (41%).............. +14%
91-95...............13 (6.5%).............38 (25%).............. +18.5%
More than 95.....05 (2.5%).............03 (2%)................ -0.5%

Last season, the White Sox finished with 79 wins. On 12/23/08, almost a quarter of us, 1 out of 4, had it right. But just about a week before Opening Day 2009, only 1 out of 20 of us had it right.

This year, I'm going to try it a bit differently; I will still open the second poll a week or so before Opening Day 2010, but I'll hold the initial poll now, a few weeks before Spring Training starts. We pretty much already have an idea of what the finished product will look like, but we haven't seen them on the field yet.

I will run this poll for 2 weeks and have it close just before ST games begin.

oeo
02-15-2010, 03:08 AM
I think we're an 84-88 win team right now. Add Johnny Damon and I pop it up to 90-94.

LITTLE NELL
02-15-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm going with 88-74 because I think our starting 4 is as good as it gets and if Garcia steps it up in the 5th spot we win over 90. Some other things must happen also.
TCQ has a season like 2008.
Rios comes back from his horrible 2nd half.
Beckham does not have a sophmore jinx season.
Teahan is our answer at 3B.
The revolving DH system works.

If a few of these things don't happen we finish at .500

Hitmen77
02-15-2010, 09:59 AM
As the team looks today, I'm going with 80 wins. This would change if we got a legitimate full-time hitter to fill that "rotating DH" spot in the lineup....or if Andruw Jones surprises us and returns to how he played ~5 years ago. The rotation should be solid. Quentin and Rios need to rebound. Teahen needs to be a decent hitter and decent defender at 3rd. The bullpen is a total question mark to me - it could be good or it could be bad.

Right now, we're good enough to compete in a weak division. But Minn. and Det. still might be better than us, and I think we'd get blown away by top teams in the AL East and West.

EDIT: on 2nd though, maybe I'll go with 82-83 wins as my guess "as of today" - competitive in the AL Central, but perhaps not good enough to take the division - and nonetheless a good candidate for an early playoff exit.

Lip Man 1
02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Still far to early for this. You never know if anything will happen during the spring period...i.e. injuries, signings, trades. etc.

I'll wait till about a week before the bell sounds.

Lip

russ99
02-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I think we're an 84-88 win team right now. Add Johnny Damon and I pop it up to 90-94.

I'm at 86-90 with or without Johnny Damon.

Between our current players slotted as DH playing better than expected, signing Damon, or a trading for a better player after the season starts, I think the DH situation is not going to affect our season.

Quentin/Rios not getting back to expected levels, Middle/late relief being shaky and injuries would.

JB98
02-15-2010, 01:17 PM
I think this is a .500 team. I voted 81-85 wins just to be on the optimistic side.

dickallen15
02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Still far to early for this. You never know if anything will happen during the spring period...i.e. injuries, signings, trades. etc.

I'll wait till about a week before the bell sounds.

Lip
Yet people slam BP with their numbers at this time, then pick the record after spring training and are off even farther than BP.

DirtySox
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
At this moment, I see an 80-83 win team. If they add a decent bat ala Damon, I could see an 85-88 win team.

swisherfan
02-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I am thinking 85 wins currently....may be good enough to win Central.....Minn still has starting pitching questions and Det, even with Damon possibly, has holes.....their bullpen is not strong.....

Nellie_Fox
02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Yet people slam BP with their numbers at this time, then pick the record after spring training and are off even farther than BP.
Nobody's paying me for my opinion, and I make no claims of being "scientific."

edit: Nobody pays me for my opinion on baseball. :wink:

whitem0nkey
02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I like anyone else have no idea how many games they will win. But I will say I like the roster, sure we can always improve but every team has some holes. and we dont have many.

All I can say is im real exited about this season as 1, I think we have a real good team, a playoff contender and 2 so many new changes I want to see how it all unfolds.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2010, 03:10 PM
This is mainly to those few who are not "ready" to make a prediction yet:

We are doing this to see how we feel about the team before we've even see them take the field.

As I said originally, we will be voting again right before the season starts.

hi im skot
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Undefeated.

Slappy
02-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm optimistic about the Sox chances this year. I genuinely feel they've improved in every move they made during the '09 season as well as the off-season this year.

Pierre > Pods
Beckham > Getz
Teahen > Fields

Addition of:
Putz
Peavy
Rios
(Jones, Vizquel)

Can you really dispute that? All loyalty to Pods aside, Pierre has had the more consistent/injury-free career. If you don't think Beckham is an upgrade over Getz, I don't know what to tell you. Fields, let's face it, was awful, and the only thing that he had going for him was a little bit of power in his bat.

The additions of Peavy and Rios, well, given their history I don't think it's crazy to think they will at least perform pretty darn well. As to whether Rios will earn his money, he's with us until 2014, so we have time to reserve our judgments. Judging either of them on their short time here last year is dumb. We'll just have to wait and see.

If Jones bounces back and performs at least as well as Thome has for us, which I honestly think is entirely possible (but maybe not), then Kenny's a genius. If not, we're out 500,000 and we go pick up someone.

The biggest reason I like the Vizquel signing is for the potential to light some fire under Alexei's feet and get him inspired. Expecting him to produce a lot offensively at 42 seems really optimistic, to say the least.

It pains me to say it, but I think Minn. has a real solid team this year. There are question marks on their roster just like we have, but it should prove to be an interesting season.

I picked 86-90.

Man, I really cannot wait for the season to start :)

JohnTucker0814
02-15-2010, 06:17 PM
I posted 86-90 and here is my reasons:

Jake Peavy, Gordon Beckham, Carlos Quentin for a full year should add significant wins to our totals from last year = +10/15

The replacement of Thome with Jones/Kotsay should reduce our wins by a couple = -2/5

I figure we didn't have Quentin the entire year last year, so he will cover the power that we lost in Dye. Pierre will be able to produce as well, if not better, than Scotty.

Having Rios for a full year is where I don't know what's going to happen. If he reverts back to 07/08 form, then he will give us an additional few games, possibly putting us over 90 wins.

I really like the potential of this team. IMO this is our best team "potential" we've had in a long long long time... at least as long as I've been alive. We've got superstar potential in Quentin, Beckham, Peavy, Rios, Ramirez, Danks... never since the days of Frank, Robin, Blackjack have we had so much TALENT on this team!

Now, if they don't peform to their potential then this will be one of the more dissapointing seasons...

Rdy2PlayBall
02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
I posted 86-90 and here is my reasons:

Jake Peavy, Gordon Beckham, Carlos Quentin for a full year should add significant wins to our totals from last year = +10/15

The replacement of Thome with Jones/Kotsay should reduce our wins by a couple = -2/5

I figure we didn't have Quentin the entire year last year, so he will cover the power that we lost in Dye. Pierre will be able to produce as well, if not better, than Scotty.

Having Rios for a full year is where I don't know what's going to happen. If he reverts back to 07/08 form, then he will give us an additional few games, possibly putting us over 90 wins.

I really like the potential of this team. IMO this is our best team "potential" we've had in a long long long time... at least as long as I've been alive. We've got superstar potential in Quentin, Beckham, Peavy, Rios, Ramirez, Danks... never since the days of Frank, Robin, Blackjack have we had so much TALENT on this team!

Now, if they don't peform to their potential then this will be one of the more dissapointing seasons...You are going to get attacked by the negative crowd here, but I agree. Nice post. :redneck

WhiteSoxFan84
02-16-2010, 12:05 AM
As things stand now, I picked 91-95 wins.

The main reason I picked that is because I think the White Sox are the best team in the AL Central, that they will win the AL Central, and that I think it will take over 90 wins to win it.

I mentioned before (in a different thread) that I don't see the Twins as a major threat this season and that the White Sox will finish 5-10 games ahead of them in the standings. That being said, here is how I (at the moment) see the final 2010 AL Central standings looking:

1) White Sox 93-69
2) Tigers 90-72
3) Twins 84-78
4) Royals 72-90
5) Indians 68-94

Frater Perdurabo
02-16-2010, 07:05 AM
I think the Sox will go 85-77. I think that will be good enough to win the division. I would predict more wins and thus a greater shot at winning the division if they acquired a legitimate LH hitter.

Craig Grebeck
02-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Right now, I'll say 81-85.

HomeFish
02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
I'll be optimistic and say 83 wins.

TheOldRoman
02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll be optimistic and say 83 wins.:o:

khan
02-16-2010, 12:19 PM
173-0.

HBaines03
02-16-2010, 01:07 PM
I think the Sox will win the AL Central this year. There is a good mesh of talent and attitude on this team.

Keys:
Pierre - better than Pods in all around game and can stay healthy
Rios - wants to show last year was a fluke
Quentin - needs to show he can stay healthy and regain 2008 performance
Teahan - on a winning ballclub, at a desginated position and is not a main focal point
Beckham - Needs to live up to the hype (and he knows it)
A. Jones - wants to show he can still be valuable asset
Vizquel - great teacher to help A. Ramirez & Beckham defensively
Putz - wants to prove injury filled seasons are over
Jenks - Has a bone to pick with Sox management (good and bad)
Peavy - wants to win and show he is passed injuries

I think these hungry aspects along with remaining members makes this a formidable team.

KC is KC
Cleveland is struggling
Detroit is taking a step back and struggling financially
Minnesota will struggle outdoors with cold weather and grass

Bob Roarman
02-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I'll be optimistic and say 83 wins.

Yeah that seems like a pretty safe bet. Too many "if"s to put them at 90 wins or above. If Rios reverts, if Quentin and Peavy stay healthy, if Pierre produces, if the bullpen isn't horrible.

If Peavy, Quentin and Beckham add 10-15 wins to any team, they should be top 3 in the MVP voting. Going by stats, Beckham added a little over 1 last season. Quentin was in the negative, but his 08' season he was over 4 and if he stayed healthy he more than likely would've won AL MVP.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Yeah that seems like a pretty safe bet. Too many "if"s to put them at 90 wins or above. If Rios reverts, if Quentin and Peavy stay healthy, if Pierre produces, if the bullpen isn't horrible.

If Peavy, Quentin and Beckham add 10-15 wins to any team, they should be top 3 in the MVP voting. Going by stats, Beckham added a little over 1 last season. Quentin was in the negative, but his 08' season he was over 4 and if he stayed healthy he more than likely would've won AL MVP.

But isn't that the case with every team minus the Yankees and maybe the Phillies and Red Sox?

There is no team in the AL Central without "too many ifs".

Sam Spade
02-17-2010, 05:30 AM
I think they can win 85 games if they make some moves during the season.

Zisk77
02-17-2010, 08:18 AM
173-0 baby!

chisox77
02-18-2010, 07:13 PM
I always seem to predict low 90s in wins for the White Sox. I'll do it again for this season - the starting pitching will be very solid, plus a more flexible line-up - plus Damon (if he's added) - which makes the DH spot much stronger. In fact, if Damon is signed, he should be the everyday DH.

Noneck
02-20-2010, 09:45 PM
.500 unless injury(s) happen to the starting staff, then danger, look out below.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Now after this whole Damon fiasco, only 95.

MetroPD
02-21-2010, 08:30 AM
I voted the same as I did last year, less than 81 wins. I see very little change to consistent hitting. Our bullpen isn't significantly changed and we can't ride our starters like we did in 05.

Shoeless
02-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I voted the same as I did last year, less than 81 wins. I see very little change to consistent hitting. Our bullpen isn't significantly changed and we can't ride our starters like we did in 05.

Why not? Are our starters not better than they were in '05? We have a number 1 starter and a staff ace. The best part? They're different players. I'm not saying we're going to win 100, but i put 86-90.

BigKlu59
02-21-2010, 11:32 AM
They wont break a 100,but then again they wont Mendoza out at 81 either.. 90-95 is a possible barring any Bull Pen implosion... I don't forsee the same RISP buggaboo rearing its ugly head as it did last season...That was total pukeitude ...... We're starting out the season tied for 1st....:D::D: How long we stay there is up to the Baseball God's

Go Go Go You White Sox !!!!!

BigKlu59

MetroPD
02-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Why not? Are our starters not better than they were in '05? We have a number 1 starter and a staff ace. The best part? They're different players. I'm not saying we're going to win 100, but i put 86-90.
Our starters are decent but I don't think any of them have the longevity that our starters in 05 did (Burhle being the exception). In 05 our starters were absolutely brilliant. Our bullpen remains to be seen, I think Jenks is on the down slide of his career and Putz well, he would have been nice 3-4 years ago.

soxjim
02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Just guessing. 86-76.

Rockabilly
02-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Sox will win 89 games this season and win the division on the final weekend

WhiteSoxFan84
02-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Voting ends on Tuesday.

Get those votes in!

WhiteSoxFan84
03-02-2010, 03:10 AM
A solid turnout and results that are a bit surprising.

Over 96% of WSI Nation has our White Sox being at or above .500.
Over 90% have the Sox winning 81-95 games.
Over 68% have the Sox winning more than 85 games.

Some optimistic numbers and I cannot wait to see how you guys vote on the Second Poll which I will conduct starting March 29th.