PDA

View Full Version : Big Hurt's Career As A Sportscaster?

Rdy2PlayBall
02-13-2010, 08:31 PM
He had a very impressive retirement press conference. He was comfortable and answered the questions on the spot very well... I didn't pay attention much to the Cubs v Sox series, but I heard he was pretty good talking on there too. What do you guys think of his chances of joining Comcast Sports Net or something as some sort of analysist for Chicago sports?

I think within the next few years he will be coaching or on TV... just a gut feeling.

DonnieDarko
02-13-2010, 08:41 PM
If anything, I think that he'll do sportscasting over coaching.

Noneck
02-13-2010, 08:48 PM
After seeing the press conference, I realized that Thomas may be needing a job in the near future. He wasnt really memorable when he was on TBS a couple years ago but is well spoken. I think wherever the money is , is where he will go, coaching or broadcasting.

dickallen15
02-13-2010, 08:49 PM
He worked for TBS in 2008 during the postseason I believe. Granted he was just starting out, but he wasn't too impressive.

You never know with players. I always thought Dan Hampton would be fabulous in the booth. He didn't last very long.

JermaineDye05
02-13-2010, 08:53 PM
He would rekindle my interest if he came on and joined BBTN for a year.

I could see him joining CSN for pre/post game w.e. That would be cool.

guillensdisciple
02-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I would not be against that. Seeing Frank on tv has never been a problem.

Frontman
02-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I could see it. Although I do like Bill Melton a LOT as a pre and post game analyst.

Wouldn't hurt (pardon the pun) to see Frank get a national job with either MLB Network or ESPN.

johnnyg83
02-13-2010, 11:34 PM
I thought Frank was decent if not a little bland on TBS. I'd chalk it up to nervousness and he may be better on a local broadcast than national.

g0g0
02-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Can he squeeze into a broadcasters booth? Frank's a pretty big guy! :redneck

tick53
02-14-2010, 10:50 AM
I could see it. Although I do like Bill Melton a LOT as a pre and post game analyst.

Wouldn't hurt (pardon the pun) to see Frank get a national job with either MLB Network or ESPN.

Bill must get tuckered out holding that desk down with both hands but I like him. On Frank, yeah I could see it.

doublem23
02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
He's also done some work for CSN the past few years during the Cubs/Sox series. He's got decent interviewing skills, too. I don't know where he'd end up locally, unless Melton or Garfein are interested in moving.

Chrisaway
02-14-2010, 03:24 PM
He worked for TBS in 2008 during the postseason I believe. Granted he was just starting out, but he wasn't too impressive.

You never know with players. I always thought Dan Hampton would be fabulous in the booth. He didn't last very long.

I thought he did pretty good in the postseason broadcasts but then again, he is a sports god in my eyes so I would listen even if he did suck.

TDog
02-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Since when do broadcasting skills factor into hirings for broadcasting jobs for retired athletes?

EastCoastSoxFan
02-19-2010, 01:37 AM
The only thing that might work against Frank in the broadcast booth is that he was such a great hitter and a smart player that he might come across as too much of a know-it-all.
When I was in Philadelphia one year the Philles tried Mike Schmidt as a color man and he was just terrible for that very reason -- he came across as totally un-likeable. He knew a lot about the game; the problem was that he knew he knew a lot about the game.
Analysts who were average players and therefore don't take themselves or their baseball knowledge too seriously seem to make better (or at least more likeable) analysts.

But then again, maybe Frank wouldn't come across that way at all.
I guess we won't know unless he becomes a regular analyst...

Waysouthsider
02-19-2010, 08:33 AM
The only thing that might work against Frank in the broadcast booth is that he was such a great hitter and a smart player that he might come across as too much of a know-it-all.
When I was in Philadelphia one year the Philles tried Mike Schmidt as a color man and he was just terrible for that very reason -- he came across as totally un-likeable. He knew a lot about the game; the problem was that he knew he knew a lot about the game.
Analysts who were average players and therefore don't take themselves or their baseball knowledge too seriously seem to make better (or at least more likeable) analysts.

But then again, maybe Frank wouldn't come across that way at all.
I guess we won't know unless he becomes a regular analyst...

Wow...what a sad commentary...! :cool:

veeter
02-19-2010, 08:50 AM
He should do it if he can. It would be smart to stay fresh in all the sportswriters' minds for the next five years.:wink:

EastCoastSoxFan
02-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Wow...what a sad commentary...! :cool:About Mike Schmidt? I don't think it's sad. He tried television commentary and he just wasn't any good at it. Not everybody is good at everything.
One of the networks once tried Bill Walsh as an NFL commentator and he wasn't any good at it, either, although in his case it was because his idea of "analysis" was to compare everything he saw with "how we did it on the 49ers" (perhaps not realizing that the majority of a national audience doesn't really give a crap about the 49ers).
Or one of the Philly networks used to have Ron Jaworski as a guest color man during Eagles exhibition games, and that didn't work either. As good of an X's & O's guy as Jaws is on NFL Prime Time, that melodramatic cadence of his tends to grate on people's nerves after a while.

If Frank does become a color man I hope he does well at it, but his superstar ego is pretty well documented.
If he brings it into the booth with him it's going to put people off.
That's all I'm saying...