PDA

View Full Version : Lincecum signs two year deal with Giants

roylestillman
02-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Avoids arbitration and gets $23 million for two years. A bargain for the Giants

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100212&content_id=8066672&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf

jabrch
02-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Avoids arbitration and gets $23 million for two years. A bargain for the Giants

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100212&content_id=8066672&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf

Not really a bargain to pay a guy 23mm who has only 2.15 years of service time. You EXPECT to not be paying top dollar for those guys. I know how good he is - but this is record breaking salary for a guy with his tenure. He may well be worth that on the open market - but that doesn't make it a bargain.

TDog
02-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Not really a bargain to pay a guy 23mm who has only 2.15 years of service time. You EXPECT to not be paying top dollar for those guys. I know how good he is - but this is record breaking salary for a guy with his tenure. He may well be worth that on the open market - but that doesn't make it a bargain.

You're absolutely right. The open market is irrelevant if you're talking bargain because he isn't eligible for the open market. I have no idea, though, what sort of arbitration award he might have been looking at.

I'm happy for Lincecum, though, and I hope Lincecum remains happy in San Francisco.

Domeshot17
02-12-2010, 12:21 PM
No, this is very much a Bargain. If Timmy Won his 13 mil arbitration case, he would be looking at atleast 26 mil and maybe 30 mil over the next 2 years. This isn't best case for the Giants, but its not worst case either. It also is going to make him happier with the team when they try for his long term deal.

VenturaFan23
02-12-2010, 01:07 PM
It's a bargain compared to what they're still paying Barry Zito a year.

Boondock Saint
02-12-2010, 01:33 PM

His service time is irrelevant. He's won back to back Cy Young awards. $15m a year would be a steal for that kind of pitching.

jabrch
02-12-2010, 02:07 PM
It's a bargain compared to what they're still paying Barry Zito a year.

There are few contracts in baseball that are not bargains in that comparison.

Shoeless_Jeff
02-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Why would the Giants pay that kind of money to a drug user?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Why would the Giants pay that kind of money to a drug user?

:tealtutor:

Well, now if the Giants can get some offense and not rely on Rowand and Sandoval to carry the load, they could have a playoff team.