PDA

View Full Version : Tom Glavine Retires

Viva Medias B's
02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Frank isn't the only big name to announce his retirement. Tom Glavine is also retiring.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100211&content_id=8061414&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

ComiskeyBrewer
02-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Tom was always a class act. When i was a kid in the early 90s, i followed the braves. Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux were the best.

gobears1987
02-11-2010, 10:58 PM
I saw him get win #300 at Wrigley.

DSpivack
02-12-2010, 12:25 AM
So does that mean there will be a lot of Braves fans in Cooperstown when we all make the trip to upstate NY?

Or is Glavine not eligible until 2015, where Thomas is eligible in 2014?

When are Maddux and Smoltz eligible?

Sam Spade
02-12-2010, 12:29 AM
So does that mean there will be a lot of Braves fans in Cooperstown when we all make the trip to upstate NY?

Or is Glavine not eligible until 2015, where Thomas is eligible in 2014?

When are Maddux and Smoltz eligible?

They both played last in 2008. It should be the same year. Same with maddux, but not smoltz. Smoltz played in 09.

DSpivack
02-12-2010, 12:53 AM
They both played last in 2008. It should be the same year. Same with maddux, but not smoltz. Smoltz played in 09.

Too bad, it would've been cool to see all three inducted in the same year. Thomas, Maddux and Glavine [who else is eligible?]. Sounds good to me!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Too bad, it would've been cool to see all three inducted in the same year. Thomas, Maddux and Glavine [who else is eligible?]. Sounds good to me!

That's going to be a STACKED Class of 2014.

All three deserve to be first-balloters.

Viva Medias B's
02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
That's going to be a STACKED Class of 2014.

All three deserve to be first-balloters.

Could this result in no one getting in that year because all the candidates could poll below 75%?

MeteorsSox4367
02-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Glavine's retirement makes me feel old. There were times in college that I didn't go out, choosing to watch either Glavine or Smoltz or Avery pitch when the Braves were on TV.

Congrats to Glavine on a great career. Proof that you can win by pitching with your head as well as your arm.

Huisj
02-12-2010, 11:43 AM
If the Sox just would have listened to Dennis in Peoria, he could have had a second career as a closer, because he had great potential. Dennis (Michael?) had great vision.

TDog
02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Could this result in no one getting in that year because all the candidates could poll below 75%?

There were three Hall-of-Famers inducted in 1999 after being elected in their first year of eligibility. George Brett and Nolan Ryan topped 98 percent. Robin Yount was over 77 percent. Another player on the ballot for the first time was Carlton Fisk, who received just 66.4 percent of the vote. He was elected the following year. The players ranking 5, 6, 8 and 9 in the 1999 vote also were eventually elected to the Hall of Fame, but none of them was on the ballot for the first time that year. Minnie Minoso was on the ballot and got more votes than Bert Blyleven, but both were under 15 percent, if anyone is curious.

Of course, a Hall of Fame ballot can include up to 10 names. Few do.

I don't believe Thomas will be elected on the first ballot as Ivan Rodriguez will. If I had a ballot, I would vote for him. I do believe he will get in eventually.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't believe Thomas will be elected on the first ballot as Ivan Rodriguez will. If I had a ballot, I would vote for him. I do believe he will get in eventually.

If Ivan Rodriguez gets elected to the Hall of Fame before Frank Thomas does, that will be a travesty of epic proportions, especially since Rodriguez played last year and is probably playing for the next 2 years at least.

Not that Rodriguez doesn't deserve to be in the Hall, but if voters choose him over Thomas, then the HOF voting will lose all credibility to me.

soxinem1
02-14-2010, 03:24 PM
I saw him get win #300 at Wrigley.

I have to hand it to Glavine. The first couple years he was around, it looked like he might be another Jimmy Key at best. That isn't saying anything bad about Key, but he is not a HOF'er or even close.

Glavine was a pure example of a guy who just knew how to pitch, plain and simple.

mzh
02-15-2010, 12:22 PM
If Ivan Rodriguez gets elected to the Hall of Fame before Frank Thomas does, that will be a travesty of epic proportions, especially since Rodriguez played last year and is probably playing for the next 2 years at least.

Not that Rodriguez doesn't deserve to be in the Hall, but if voters choose him over Thomas, then the HOF voting will lose all credibility to me.
HOF voting has already lost credibility to me, when Tim Salmon is still getting votes over Blyleven and Roberto Alomar.

Rodriguez, IIRC, was also linked to 'Roids in the Mitchell Report, so that would be even more of a slap in Frank's face IMO.

TDog
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
HOF voting has already lost credibility to me, when Tim Salmon is still getting votes over Blyleven and Roberto Alomar.

Rodriguez, IIRC, was also linked to 'Roids in the Mitchell Report, so that would be even more of a slap in Frank's face IMO.

Tim Salmon is not getting votes over Blyleven and Alomar. Blyleven and Alomar got a lot more votes than Salmon. Salmon certainly isn't taking away votes from Blyleven and Alomar, unless you can show me a ballot with the maximum 10 names selected that includes Salmon but not Blyleven or Alomar and the voter who insisted he would have voted for Blyleven or Alomar, but after voting for Salmon, there just wasn't any room.

I wouldn't vote for Blyleven. It looks like he will bet in eventually, if not next year, because increasingly more voters never saw him pitch.

I don't believe the steroid stigma will stick to Rodriguez. But I don't see how that would be a slap in the face to Thomas. Rodriguez will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer because he defined his position. Thomas won't get in right away because many believe that DH isn't a position.

Tragg
02-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Glavine's a good pitcher. But personally, I think Glavine was about like Mark Buehrle with a 5-inch outside corner.

PatK
02-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Glavine's a good pitcher. But personally, I think Glavine was about like Mark Buehrle with a 5-inch outside corner.

I remember when the Cubs played the Braves in the 2008 playoffs and he was getting calls for strikes that were impossible for right handed hitters to reach.