PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Big Hurt memories

DumpJerry
02-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Let's roll down Memory Lane!

One image that will always remain with me was watching him carry Robin Ventura over his shoulder on July 31, 1991.

gobears1987
02-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Seeing him hit a home run at Tiger Stadium in 1993 during my first baseball game. That home run is what made me a Sox fan.

SephClone89
02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
I was nine years old, and my dad took my brother and I to our first Sox game against the Pirates. My favourite pitcher, Sirotka, got the win, and Frank collected his 1,000th career RBI.

I also went to game against Boston the next year (2000) with my whole family, and he and Frank hit back to back homers, followed by Paulie going off the center field wall.

kruzer31
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Frank's 3 Home Runs in Fenway Park

Clutch go ahead Home Run off Jeff Montgomery of the Royals to grab a win

His bomb in the 93 ALCS in the Skydome

His 512 foot shot still ranks in the top 3 in HR Derby History at old Three Rivers

His unbelievable HR ratio in the 2005 season before gettin hurt

He should have been on more all star teams and won another MVP award but certain players gained achievement by using PEDs. You did it the right way Frank. Here is to the HOF in 2014

jeff

Marqhead
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I was too young to remember a lot of his hay day. He should have won the MVP in 2000 and I went to a lot of games that year. His 2005 run albeit short was very memorable.

JB98
02-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Frank had a two-homer game in August of 2003 against the Angels. It was a classic pitchers' duel between Buehrle and Jarrod Washburn.

Washburn took a no-hitter and a 2-0 lead into the seventh. Alomar broke it up with a base hit, then Frank homered to deep center to tie it at 2-2.

In the bottom of the ninth, still tied at 2-2, Graffanino led off with a double. Alomar bunted him to third. After a meeting at the mound, the Angels foolishly decided to pitch to Frank. It turned out to be a lengthy, suspense-filled battle between Frank and Washburn -- 3-2 count, several foul balls. Crowd on its feet the entire at-bat. Frank finally got him. Sox won it 4-2.

EDIT: Here's the box from that game:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200308180.shtml

Game took only 2:07. I remember it being just shortly after 9 when I got back to my car in the USCF lot that night.

russ99
02-11-2010, 08:25 PM
For me it's the last game I saw him play, 7/18/05 vs. the Tigers.

I had a group of 22 from work in the Club Level on the first base side, and the guy could barely walk, but he still clubbed one over the pen in LF.

Turns out that was his last homer in a Sox uniform.

And no doubt, the Ventura-over the shoulder-like a sack of potatoes game. :D:

soxinem1
02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Honestly, too many to list.

But the HR with two-out off Jose Guzman of TOR in 1993 in the 8th inning was one of the best clutch hits I ever saw.

And his HR brigade in 2005, albeit for about a month, was yeoman work indeed.

Marqhead
02-11-2010, 08:34 PM
I'll add another which is mentioned often, even though it was with a different team.

I was at Frank's first game back in Chicago with the A's. The video tribute and the standing O he got gave me chills. Watching him club two home runs and the reactions from the fans when he did that day reminded me of what an amazing player he was for the Sox.

ChiSoxGirl
02-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Frank had a two-homer game in August of 2003 against the Angels. It was a classic pitchers' duel between Buehrle and Jarrod Washburn.

Washburn took a no-hitter and a 2-0 lead into the seventh. Alomar broke it up with a base hit, then Frank homered to deep center to tie it at 2-2.

In the bottom of the ninth, still tied at 2-2, Graffanino led off with a double. Alomar bunted him to third. After a meeting at the mound, the Angels foolishly decided to pitch to Frank. It turned out to be a lengthy, suspense-filled battle between Frank and Washburn -- 3-2 count, several foul balls. Crowd on its feet the entire at-bat. Frank finally got him. Sox won it 4-2.

Game took only 2:07. I remember it being just shortly after 9 when I got back to my car in the USCF lot that night.

OMG, I was at this game!!!! I remember standing on my seat the entire time, waiting for Frank to do something amazing. He didn't disappoint and the ballpark was up for grabs that night.

JB98
02-11-2010, 08:39 PM
OMG, I was at this game!!!! I remember standing on my seat the entire time, waiting for Frank to do something amazing. He didn't disappoint and the ballpark was up for grabs that night.

It was a half-price Monday, so my friends and I bought some seats like 10 rows behind home plate. I was yelling for Frank to just hit a fly ball deep enough to score Graffanino. I guess that walk-off HR was deep enough. :redface:

Taliesinrk
02-11-2010, 08:44 PM
The best was when I was around 7 or 8. Each year for my birthday, I would have the option of having a party with friends or driving the 3-hours to see my one Sox game of the year... of course, it was always the Sox. From the best of what I can remember it was 1992 and we had seats down the first-base line. Sometime in the early-mid part of the game I wanted nachos and asked my mom to get me some. I remember vividly how, as we started to get up, she asked me if I was sure I wanted to go now because Frank was coming up (this was as the visiting team - I think the Royals - had just been retired). I remember telling her it would be o.k. (even though all I had talked about was wanting to see Frank hit a HR, because I had never seen it in person) and so we went. I don't remember standing in line or what we ordered, but I will never forget hearing the roar of the crowd and sprinting across the concourse to see the ball landing just over the right centerfield fence. To this day, if Frank is up, I will never leave my seat.
It's pretty special remembering that story because neither of my parents are into sports much at all, yet my mom can still name most all of the starters from those 91-93 teams... just because I was into it I guess.

The other Big Frank moments are too many to count:

- 12-pitch AB vs. everyday Eddie in which he hit a bomb over the LF wall to walk-off ('03 I think) - Hawk's call was classic

- didn't Frank hit a HR and have another robbed from him (ended up being a double) in the Wilson Alvarex no-hitter in '90 or '91?

- Frank's return to the Cell in which he reminded Garland that he should be walked for a reason... hearing the cheers as Frank rounded the bases after the first one was surreal

- Frank being introduced in game 1 of the WS... the stadium was awesome

- There are too many others to count...

pistolesatdawn
02-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Last time I saw him play. It was against the Rockies in Denver in 2005. He came up as a pinch hitter and drilled the farthest shot I've ever seen anyone hit to dead center.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/COL/COL200506080.shtml

Brian26
02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
July 2, 2003.

Sox vs. Twins, at the time battling for first place with the Royals, were tied 5-5 going into extra innings. The Sox were riding some momentum after acquiring Carl Everett from Texas and Roberto Alomar from the Mets the day before. The Twins took the lead off Billy Koch in the top of the 11th. Paul Konerko, mired in a huge slump and benched for Brian Daubach, hit a pinch hit homer in the bottom of the 11th to tie the game. Frank Thomas won the game for the Sox in the bottom of the 12th with a walkoff homer on an epic 11-pitch at bat against Eddie Guardado.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=230702104

Corlose 15
02-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I have two memories of Frank Thomas.

The first is in 1991. That year for my 2 brothers and my birthdays (all in August) my dad bought plane tickets to fly into Chicago and take in a Friday night game and a Saturday afternoon game at New Comiskey against the Orioles. I'd only been to Tiger Stadium, and Old Comiskey (once). In the night game Frank hit a 3 run HR and it was the first time I ever saw the exploding scoreboard at night. Frank also homered the next day for the only run in a Charlie Hough shutout.

The second is from 1997. The Sox were playing the Tigers at Tiger Stadium and they got out to a lead which Danny Darwin promptly blew. In the 7th inning or so with the sox down 4 runs Frank comes up and absolutely DESTROYS the ball into the right centerfield bleachers on a line drive. Anyone who has been to Tiger Stadium will have an idea of what I'm talking about. It was the hardest hit ball I've ever seen. It honestly seemed like he it it 700ft and the only thing keeping it from going farther was the bleachers getting in the way.

soltrain21
02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
July 2, 2003.

Sox vs. Twins, at the time battling for first place with the Royals, were tied 5-5 going into extra innings. The Sox were riding some momentum after acquiring Carl Everett from Texas and Roberto Alomar from the Mets the day before. The Twins took the lead off Billy Koch in the top of the 11th. Paul Konerko, mired in a huge slump and benched for Brian Daubach, hit a pinch hit homer in the bottom of the 11th to tie the game. Frank Thomas won the game for the Sox in the bottom of the 12th with a walkoff homer on an epic 11-pitch at bat against Eddie Guardado.

Mine too. I knew he was winning the game for us after about the 6th pitch.

Corlose 15
02-11-2010, 09:30 PM

His 512 foot shot still ranks in the top 3 in HR Derby History at old Three Rivers

He should have been on more all star teams and won another MVP award but certain players gained achievement by using PEDs. You did it the right way Frank. Here is to the HOF in 2014

jeff

There is a video up at whitesox.com that has that HR.

asindc
02-11-2010, 09:50 PM

jeff

That AB against Montgomery was classic Frank. I remember being at a sports bar to watch that game because I could not get it at home. The Sox had led the AL West for most of the season by a few games, but the Royals were closing hard at the time. I think it was down to 3 games when the Royals came to town. Frank had struck out his first 3 ABs if I recall correctly. Montgomery threw a decent slider but Frank just crushed it. Comiskey went nuts.

In the '93 ALCS, Toronto had walked Frank most of the time, but had to pitch to him with 2 men on base. Stottlemyre hung a breaker and there it went.

A few people in Baltimore still talk about the bomb Frank hit in the HR Derby there. I forget the year, but it went upper deck, which was the first time anyone could remember someone reaching it.

thomas35forever
02-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't have any particular memories of him. I just know that he was a helluva player. Off the top of my head, I can think of five or six home runs I saw him hit in person, including the only Sox run in a blowout loss to Arizona in '05. My best friend from my childhood was at that game with me and my dad, so it was nice to see a couple things from back in the day come full circle at age 16. I also saw Frank in his second game in Chicago as an Athletic in '06, and I only wanted to see Oakland because he was there.

I was also really happy to see him in the victory parade. Though his role in '05 was limited, all those years of hard work and sticking with the team had finally paid off.

02-11-2010, 10:01 PM

I was at this game with my dad. It still remains the best memory of a game I have ever been to.

gobears1987
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM

I remember Hawk's call on that as he was yelling "Stay fair! Stay fair! It will!!! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YES!!!"

WhiteSox5187
02-12-2010, 12:18 AM
I remember Hawk's call on that as he was yelling "Stay fair! Stay fair! It will!!! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YES!!!"

That was his call for Konerko's walk off against the Royals in '08 which was on MLB the Show '09!

Lip Man 1
02-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Two memories stand out.

The first was in Game #3 of the 1993 ALCS. Thomas who was being pitched around in the series (he'd have ten walks in the six games, still the ALCS record) got a pitch from Todd Stottlemeyer he could handle and drove it into the 3rd deck in left center at the Skydome.

The second came in a 1994 home game against Detroit being televised I want to say, by NBC on their prime time game of the week. (This was the year MLB sold their own advertising and kept all the money. They purchased air time from NBC to show games). The Sox trailed by four runs in the 9th inning and couldn't afford to lose to a crap Tigers team. Thomas blased a two out grand slam off (I think) Joe Boever to tie it up. The Sox won in extra innings. I remember thinking to myself, 'there's nothing this guy can't do.'

His first seven full seasons in baseball were among the greatest ever in the game.

He's the biggest man (physically) to ever win a batting title and is one of only four guys in MLB to hit 400 home runs and win a batting title who isn't in the Hall of Fame.

In 2014 he gets in.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
02-12-2010, 05:21 AM
Too many memories but the crying shame is that an icon of the franchise did not play his whole career with the Sox. Lots of people with strong personalities are to blame and I will leave it at that.

IlliniSox4Life
02-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Most of my favorites have already been posted, so here's my next favorite, and most recent:
May 19, 2008.
I was out in San Francisco to watch the Sox play the Giants with a Cub fan friend of mine. On the trip, we decided to check out Oakland for a game. They were playing the Tampa Bay Rays. Going to the stadium we realized we weren't really into either of the teams and the stadium stunk. Frank Thomas was going to play, and I was really just cheering for a good game from him. My buddy, who is a Cubs fan, also happens to respect the hell out of the Big Hurt, and pretty much took the same position as I did. Frank happened to be in the second longest homerless streak of his career, and battling injury. All he ended up doing was going 3 for 4 with 2 HR. Us and the several dozen other Oakland fans in attendance went nuts. They lost the game in extras, but that didn't particularly matter to me.

EDIT: Also, a few people have mentioned Frank's first game back with 2 HR. I don't think anybody has mentioned that was at Core of the Core that year. What a great time.

fram40
02-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Frank Thomas - my favorite ballplayer of all time - hands down.

Two memories stand out for me - the first was the home run he hit when Hawk christened him "The Big Hurt". Not sure when or where it happened - other than early in his career - but Frank hit a long, long home run. Hawk said that Frank had put a big hurt on that ball and decided that would be his nickname - "The Big Hurt"

My other memory is from the 1990 season. I was hanging out in a dive bar on the Southwest Side watching a lot of games with the owner, Ted. The Sox were surprisingly good that year - but seemed to be a bat short. Ted felt the Sox needed to make a trade - to get an extra bat that seemed to be needed to chase down the A's. I kept telling Ted all they needed to do was call up Frank Thomas from AA Birmingham. Frank was hyped as a great, great hitter. Ted was not thrilled with the idea of a rookie being the
added bat for the stretch run. On August 1, Frank was called up - what a two months he had! Better than any veteran they might have gotten in a trade.

Who knew then that the rookie ballplayer would become the greatest White Sox ever?

voodoochile
02-12-2010, 09:03 AM
July 2, 2003.

This ^ SO many foul balls and a bunch of them would have been homers if fair and finally Frank straightened one out.

Also his 400Th landed about 10 rows in front of me.

spawn
02-12-2010, 09:14 AM
July 2, 2003.

Definitely my favorite as well, and it was his second homer of the game. I remember his reaction as he hit the homer.

beasly213
02-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Definitely my favorite as well, and it was his second homer of the game. I remember his reaction as he hit the homer.

Can anyone find a video of this At bat?

BringBackBlkJack
02-12-2010, 09:28 AM
I don't remember the date, or even the year, but it was sometime in the 90's... I was waiting in a concession line in the upper deck of Comiskey, couldn't have been older than 12 at the time. I hear Big Frank's name being announced to bat and thought in my mind I knew he was gonna hit a homer and I sure as hell wasn't about to miss it... I make a beeline over to the nearest section to see him blast one into the left field bleachers. :D:

My 1990 Topps Frank Thomas Rookie Card is still my all-time favorite baseball card.

OldRomanPizza
02-12-2010, 09:42 AM
For some reason, one of my favorite Thomas homers was in 2005 against the Rays. This was in late June or early July and the Sox were down buy a few but he hit a three run shot to either tie it or take the lead. You knew it was gone the second it left the bat.

This was the infamous DJ "OH MYYYYYY" call.

I also loved this 2005 1st inning blast against the Cubs at home that year.

illinibk
02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
My first White Sox game, 5/28/1991 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1991/B05300CHA1991.htm). Thomas and Sosa went back to back, even though Kirk McCaskill bested Black Jack. Craig Grebeck even told my sister to go to hell that day.

Of course, I will always love hearing Gene Honda announce Big Frank as the hitter.

Huisj
02-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Favorite memory was a game from the end of August in Detroit in 2003. The Sox were hanging on to first place by a thread, and Frank had been on a tear for the last week or so. I think he hit something like 8 homers over a 9 game stretch. He looked like the Thomas of old.

We were sitting down the third base line at Comerica Park, and with Mike Maroth pitching, we knew something good would happen. In his first at bat, Thomas was just a bit out in front of everything and we feared he might kill someone near us with some of the foul balls he was blasting our way. He ended up flying out. Then, sure enough, in his next at bat, he adjusted and drilled a rocket out on a 3-2 pitch for a 3-run homer to put the Sox up 3-0. They ended up winning 5-2.

tick53
02-12-2010, 10:30 AM
The first game that I saw Frank play, he went three for four and hit a monster home run. That was his rookie year. I thought to myself, we've finally got us a superstar!

Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas

:hurt

The King Of Chicago Baseball

Thanks for everything!

Thome25
02-12-2010, 10:34 AM

One image that will always remain with me was watching him carry Robin Ventura over his shoulder on July 31, 1991.

That's my favorite Hurt moment too.

tstrike2000
02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
It's hard to name a couple. There were so many during the mid 90's, namely his '93 and '94 MVP seasons along with his cluth battles against Toronto during the '93 playoffs.

Sox83Kid
02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
One of my favorite memories: September 2003--a few days after that bizarre throwdown between the drunk fans and the KC 1st-base coach. IIRC, it was a close game and the Sox were trying to manufacture the go-ahead run. With Big Hurt on first, he got the sign to steal 2nd, and HE DID! He also blasted one out to center field during that game.

There was also a guy visiting from Australia in the stands near us, an when Frank hit the homer he turned around and said, "I like this guy!"

rwcescato
02-12-2010, 12:55 PM

I went to a game in the early '90s. They were playing on a Monday night game that was not on tv so I had to go. There was the biug hurt hitting one in the first inning and down by 2 clubs a grand slam in the 8th to help win the game for them. The place went crazy.:D:

Foulke You
02-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Lots of good ones mentioned here but for some reason, I go to Opening Night in 2000 for one of my fondest Frank memories. The Big Hurt was coming off of a down year (for him) in 1999 and the local media had been all over him in the offseason for many reasons. This is when the papers would regularly worship at the altar of Sosa and anything to rip on Frank Thomas was considered good journalism. The media labeled him as "brooding" and a "crybaby" and then he had his infamous argument with Manager Ghandi relating to the shuttle drill that he couldn't run because of an injured foot. (Manuel was such an idiot...)

Just when it seemed nothing could go right for Frank, Opening Night 2000 came around. Ray Durham made his famous diving catch in the top of the 1st to quell an Angels rally and in the bottom half of the 1st, Frank stepped to the plate in the 1st inning featuring a new open Gallaraga-esque batting stance and blasted one into the left center field bleachers and the sellout crowd went nuts. You just knew it was going to be a special season for him after that. The true MVP of 2000, Frank Thomas finished with 43 HRs and 143 RBIs and led the Sox to their first division title since 1993.

Frank is truly a special player and I for one will be there on August 29th to see his #35 retired.

RhubarbStew
02-12-2010, 03:10 PM
the home run he hit when Hawk christened him "The Big Hurt". Not sure when or where it happened - other than early in his career - but Frank hit a long, long home run. Hawk said that Frank had put a big hurt on that ball and decided that would be his nickname - "The Big Hurt"

That was the July 31, 1991 game which ended with Ventura's grand slam and Frank lifting Robin onto his shoulders.

oldcomiskey
02-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Too many memories but the crying shame is that an icon of the franchise did not play his whole career with the Sox. Lots of people with strong personalities are to blame and I will leave it at that.

Nell, two things stand out about that
one is Frank had a strong personality himself, so much so that he and Ozzie didnt get along ever. And two, without Frank leaving we would have never traded for Thome, meaning we wouldve missed out on one of the greats. And besides did we really want to see Big Jim in an Indian uniform hitting all those shots he hit for us

fram40
02-12-2010, 04:32 PM
That was the July 31, 1991 game which ended with Ventura's grand slam and Frank lifting Robin onto his shoulders.

really? man, my memory is going, going, gone! OH MYYYYY!

soxinem1
02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Frank Thomas - my favorite ballplayer of all time - hands down.

Two memories stand out for me - the first was the home run he hit when Hawk christened him "The Big Hurt". Not sure when or where it happened - other than early in his career - but Frank hit a long, long home run. Hawk said that Frank had put a big hurt on that ball and decided that would be his nickname - "The Big Hurt"

My other memory is from the 1990 season. I was hanging out in a dive bar on the Southwest Side watching a lot of games with the owner, Ted. The Sox were surprisingly good that year - but seemed to be a bat short. Ted felt the Sox needed to make a trade - to get an extra bat that seemed to be needed to chase down the A's. I kept telling Ted all they needed to do was call up Frank Thomas from AA Birmingham. Frank was hyped as a great, great hitter. Ted was not thrilled with the idea of a rookie being the
added bat for the stretch run. On August 1, Frank was called up - what a two months he had! Better than any veteran they might have gotten in a trade.

Who knew then that the rookie ballplayer would become the greatest White Sox ever?

Many including Frank thought he should have been the Opening Day 1B in 1990.

But seeing his first MLB hit later that year at the old County Stadium in MIL to break up a no-no and give the White Sox the lead (and later win!!) was awesome, as the team also swept the entire weekend series!

hi im skot
02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Nell, two things stand out about that
one is Frank had a strong personality himself, so much so that he and Ozzie didnt get along ever. And two, without Frank leaving we would have never traded for Thome, meaning we wouldve missed out on one of the greats. And besides did we really want to see Big Jim in an Indian uniform hitting all those shots he hit for us

Bull****.

all*star quentin
02-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Bull****.

People have their opinions. This is a good time for all to post what they remember. I, for one like to read the different view points.

hi im skot
02-12-2010, 06:53 PM
People have their opinions. This is a good time for all to post what they remember. I, for one like to read the different view points.

To say that Frank and Ozzie never got along is flat out wrong, though.

markopat
02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
I really enjoyed reading this thread...Threads like this are why I LOVE WSI!

Thanks to all...

:)

Red Barchetta
02-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I remember a game back in the early 90s right after they opened Comiskey II. We were sitting in the first row of the RCF seats next to where the old RCF vistor bullpen was located.

Frank was up and hit a line drive that did not get higher than 6 feet off the ground and hit the wall on a fly right in front of us. It was a "typical" opposite field double for the Big Hurt and although it wasn't any type of historical "shot", it was an absolute rocket off his bat and I remember being amazed at how hard the ball was hit since it looked like it was coming right at us off the bat. :o:

Zisk77
02-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Frank's last hr showed what kind of smart & fearless hitter he was. He was playing on the broken foot but didn't yet know it was broken. Because of the injury he couldn't catch up to a good fastball but the opponents didn't know that yet. We were down 2 runs with 2 on late in the game and the tigers brought in Fernando Rodney. Frank knew he couldn't handle Rodney's fastball so he just waited for the inevitable change-up Rodney features. He hit a 0-2 change way back to left for what proved to be a game winning 3 run jack.

Brian26
02-12-2010, 10:09 PM
For some reason, one of my favorite Thomas homers was in 2005 against the Rays. This was in late June or early July and the Sox were down buy a few but he hit a three run shot to either tie it or take the lead. You knew it was gone the second it left the bat.

July 5.

Back and forth game, but Big Frank bailed us out in the bottom of the 8th. I sat in the upper deck down the 3B line, and Frank's 3-run homer was a thing of beauty to watch. Garcia went 7.0, and Hermanson came in for the 9th and notched his 21st save.

GoGoCrede
02-12-2010, 10:10 PM
July 5.

Back and forth game, but Big Frank bailed us out in the bottom of the 8th. I sat in the upper deck down the 3B line, and Frank's homer was a thing of beauty to watch. Garcia went 7.0, and Hermanson came in for the 9th and notched his 21st save.

My god, you have the neatest handwriting I've ever seen! :o:

Brian26
02-12-2010, 10:11 PM
my god, you have the neatest handwriting i've ever seen! :o:

:rolling: Thanks

Whitesox029
02-13-2010, 01:58 PM
July 2, 2003.

I was at this game...it ranks right up there with 05 ALDS game 2 as one of my most memorable Sox games (for which I was in attendance, that is), probably because Paulie's always been a favorite of mine, and it's certainly the most memorable Big Frank walkoff that I've been witness too.

Frontman
02-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll add another which is mentioned often, even though it was with a different team.

I was at Frank's first game back in Chicago with the A's. The video tribute and the standing O he got gave me chills. Watching him club two home runs and the reactions from the fans when he did that day reminded me of what an amazing player he was for the Sox.

And to add to that, if I'm not mistaken that game Mark Buehrle was pitching for the Sox. The two of them had a bit of a duel going; with Frank fouling off a few pitches before depositing the ball in the outfield bleachers. At one point, didn't the two of them "break character" as it was smiling at each other?

Frontman
02-13-2010, 06:13 PM
To say that Frank and Ozzie never got along is flat out wrong, though.

Agreed. Frank said as much to Danny Mac on the Score yesterday. Ozzie is just Ozzie (like we say a bunch of times on this board.)

Marqhead
02-13-2010, 10:46 PM
And to add to that, if I'm not mistaken that game Mark Buehrle was pitching for the Sox. The two of them had a bit of a duel going; with Frank fouling off a few pitches before depositing the ball in the outfield bleachers. At one point, didn't the two of them "break character" as it was smiling at each other?

It was Garland, but yes, the first at bat was definitely a battle.

I think the second one left the yard a little quicker. :cool:

doublem23
02-14-2010, 12:41 AM
July 2, 2003.

I was listening to the game on the radio, driving home from god knows where, I think I was in Riverside coming north on Harlem Ave. when Rooney called the game winner. That was great.

I remember the speech he gave at the Parade after the World Series. Good stuff.

samurai_sox
02-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Sorry, but I don't know how to embed videos.

Frank's Footlocker commercial,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OewRBPWWjYw

Frank's EPIC video game commercial,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLqYN124P9k

Frontman
02-14-2010, 08:04 AM
It was Garland, but yes, the first at bat was definitely a battle.

I think the second one left the yard a little quicker. :cool:

That's right, Mark faced him later and had that grin of his. It wasn't the night he returned to USCF. But I do remember Hawk commenting about it.

SBSoxFan
02-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Sorry, but I don't know how to embed videos.

Frank's Footlocker commercial,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OewRBPWWjYw

Frank's EPIC video game commercial,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLqYN124P9k

I love this one!

6jMywn2zYSE

SoxandtheCityTee
02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
July 2, 2003.

I was at that one. By the 11th we were down in the Bullpen Bar. As Paulie approached the plate to pinch hit, there were groans all over the room -- that slump was horrible. Having lost my mind temporarily, I stood up and started cheering and yelling: You can do it Paulie, C'mon show these new guys whose team this is, Let's go Paulie and more of the same. Everyone just kind of looked at me and shook their heads in pity. When he hit the homer I was rushed by people -- one guy asked if it would be all right if he hugged me. Then came the 12th, Frank's at-bat for the ages and his walk-off homer. I thought the roof was going to come off that place.

HomeFish
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM

I came here to post this.

joegraz
02-18-2010, 05:56 AM
I'm at a Bears preseason game (probably 93 or 94?). Frank, Shawn Abner, Tim Raines and a 4th (can't remember) are sitting on the top row of the mezzanine. A 5-ish year old kid approaches with a HUGE smile and is working his way down the line asking for autographs. All obliged until he got to Frank, who looked up with a toothpick hanging out of his mouth and simply said "Nope. Can't". This poor kid looked at his dad as if to say "what did I do wrong?". The Dad simply led the kid away. Thanks Frank.

Zisk77
02-18-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm at a Bears preseason game (probably 93 or 94?). Frank, Shawn Abner, Tim Raines and a 4th (can't remember) are sitting on the top row of the mezzanine. A 5-ish year old kid approaches with a HUGE smile and is working his way down the line asking for autographs. All obliged until he got to Frank, who looked up with a toothpick hanging out of his mouth and simply said "Nope. Can't". This poor kid looked at his dad as if to say "what did I do wrong?". The Dad simply led the kid away. Thanks Frank.

Might be because cause Frank charged $1 for autographs and then gave all the money to charity.

buckdharma
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
August 3, 1990. His second game played. Against the Brewers at County Stadium. He hit one off the top of the wall in right field for a triple and two RBI's. He could actually run then!

EastCoastSoxFan
02-19-2010, 12:31 AM
August 2, 1990 -- my brother, my friend, and I decided to make the drive up to Milwaukee to see the major league debut of Alex Fernandez (since it was a double-header with no off-day they had to call up a pitcher).
Watching batting practice we were all wondering who that big guy was taking ground balls at first base, and my buddy concluded that they must have called up Frank Thomas along with Alex Fernandez.
So we got to witness two major-league debuts for the price of one.
Fernandez pitched seven strong innings (or maybe 7 1/3, I don't exactly recall) and got a no-decision, and Frank went hitless with an RBI ground-out in game 1 (as someone mentioned, his first big-league hit was the following night).

August, 2003 -- In the midst of the Sox pummeling Roger Clemens at Yankee Stadium, Frank hit a grand slam off the foul pole in left field; and since I was sitting in the upper deck behind the plate looking directly down the left-field line I was able to see almost the entire flight of the ball at eye-level. That has to be one of the coolest things I've ever personally witnessed at a baseball game.

HOF 2014...