PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas officially retires

mzh
02-11-2010, 06:54 PM
http://twitter.com/scottmerkin

Let the countdown to the HOF commence.

Taliesinrk
02-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Man... It's a sad day. Gives me goosebumps thinking how much I watched him as a boy.

JermaineDye05
02-11-2010, 06:55 PM

I had a feeling this was gonna happen today because of the CSN benefit that was going on.

Rocky Soprano
02-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Best. White Sox. Ever.
Here's to you #35 :gulp:

Frank Thomas is the reason why I am a Sox fan.

GoGoCrede
02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
What can be said except: :clap: and :worship: and thanks for absolutely everything.

TDog
02-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Thomas has to file paperwork with the commissioner's office to officially retire, but he hasn't been on any team's roster since 2008, so his five-year wait started a year ago.

If Thomas were to come out of retirement for one last at bat with the White Sox in September, the clock for eligibility would be set back to five years form that point.

I honestly don't believe he will be voted to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility, but I'm sure he'll get there eventually.

gobears1987
02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Give the man a statue.

Sam Spade
02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Give the man a statue.
I say give him two.

JermaineDye05
02-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Thomas has to file paperwork with the commissioner's office to officially retire, but he hasn't been on any team's roster since 2008, so his five-year wait started a year ago.

If Thomas were to come out of retirement for one last at bat with the White Sox in September, the clock for eligibility would be set back to five years form that point.

I honestly don't believe he will be voted to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility, but I'm sure he'll get there eventually.

Okay, well he officially ANNOUNCED his retirement at least. That's something isn't it? :D:

esbrechtel
02-11-2010, 07:13 PM
:worship:#35

Here's to you Big Hurt! :gulp:

DumpJerry
02-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Now that number 11 is unretired, there's room for number 35 on the wall. :tongue:

Unless, of course, he gets the entire RF wall for Three Five. In addition to having "35" cut into the outfield grass in 35 foot tall numbers.

Has the statue been commissioned yet?

Will he throw out the first pitch Opening Day?

Will there be a 35 fireworks salute to him on Frank Thomas Day? How about a firework for each HR and RBI he had as a member of the Good Guys?

GoGoCrede
02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Now that number 11 is unretired, there's room for number 35 on the wall. :tongue:

Unless, of course, he gets the entire RF wall for Three Five. In addition to having "35" cut into the outfield grass in 35 foot tall numbers.

Has the statue been commissioned yet?

Will he throw out the first pitch Opening Day?

Will there be a 35 fireworks salute to him on Frank Thomas Day?

I love all of these ideas! Email Brooks! :smile: I hope he can at least throw out the first pitch.

I don't know about the grass in the outfield idea, though. :P

Frontman
02-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Here's to Frank Thomas. Going to be REALLY excited if he gets in first ballot; as he'd be in with an incredible class (honestly, like Greg Maddux isn't going in on the first ballot.) I'll hope against the odds; as Frank might not be a first ballot HoFer (which, in my book; is the most MORONIC concept in all of professional sports. Either the player deserves enshrinement or they don't, period.)

Marqhead
02-11-2010, 07:43 PM
What an amazing career. I'd love to see him work for the Sox in some capacity, if not I'll enjoy his presence in he studio/broadcast booth.

He's hands down the best Sox player I've ever seen, thanks for the memories Frank.

voodoochile
02-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Give the man a statue.

And a job as the minor league roving hitting instructor...

Thanks for the memories, Frank!

CLR01
02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
So long, bid fella. It's was a pleasure watching you and I look forward to your future induction.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Best. White Sox. Ever.

Frank Thomas is the reason why I am a Sox fan.Same. It's not really hard to pick when you are a kid. BIG HURT vs Sammy... Sammy? That sounds like a little kid. The Cubs must be little kids... GO WHITE SOX! :tongue:

LoveYourSuit
02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
I know you have "35th and Bill Veeck Drive."

City of Chicago and the Sox should find a way to get a location for "35th and Frank Thomas Drive."

That would be cool.

mzh
02-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I know you have "35th and Bill Veck Drive."

City of Chicago and the Sox should find a way to get a location for "35th and Frank Thomas Drive."

That would be cool.

That would make sense, 35 is his number after all!

DumpJerry
02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
He will be a first ballot inductee. It will be the voter's "f you" message to McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc......

TheCommander
02-11-2010, 07:56 PM
With his press conference scheduled in Chicago tomorrow, it makes you wonder if he and the Sox will do the "1 day contract" retirement that so many seemed to oppose when the subject was previously brought up. I, for one, would love to see that happen. Here's to you, Big Hurt! :gulp:

DumpJerry
02-11-2010, 08:00 PM
With his press conference scheduled in Chicago tomorrow, it makes you wonder if he and the Sox will do the "1 day contract" retirement that so many seemed to oppose when the subject was previously brought up. I, for one, would love to see that happen. Here's to you, Big Hurt! :gulp:
There will be no one-day contract. The CBA does not allow it and it would be a cheap gimmick, anyway.

hi im skot
02-11-2010, 08:01 PM

No chance.

Also, as others have mentioned, Frank Thomas is the reason I'm not just a Sox fan, but a baseball fan.

I'll will make the trip to Cooperstown when Frank has his day.

NDSox12
02-11-2010, 08:02 PM
What a career! They better start making room for The Big Hurt in Cooperstown.

DrCrawdad
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o110/revmyspace/freegraphics/sports2/Frank_Thomas_Chicago_Icon.jpg
The best hitter in Chicago baseball I've ever seen.

TheCommander
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
There will be no one-day contract. The CBA does not allow it.

Oops! :redface:

Rdy2PlayBall
02-11-2010, 08:07 PM
I love how the jersey sleeve is actually snug on his arm. :tongue: God hes huge @_@

chisoxfanatic
02-11-2010, 08:11 PM
He is one of the main reasons I picked the Sox over the Cubs. He had so many big moments. Thank you for all of your years of service, Big Hurt. The HOF will bear your name immediately when you become eligible.

veeter
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow, this hit me hard. The fear Frank put in the hearts of opposing pitchers, managers and fielders, has probably only been equaled by Pujols. The guy was a force for a long time, while playing first base. So any HOF doubt because he DH'd, is crap. Thanks Frank. The early to mid-90's teams were right up there with my favorites. Congratulations on a stellar, awesome career!!!!

twentywontowin
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I know you have "35th and Bill Veeck Drive."

That would be cool.

Change the address of the stadium from 333 W. 35th Street to 35 W. Frank Thomas Drive.

chisox616
02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
This is sad...I know he's been essentially retired for a little while now but...damnit. I'll still wear my 35 jersey everywhere I go. I'm wearing it tomorrow now for sure.

Like many others I'm sure, I owe Big Hurt my status as a Sox fan...well, him and my dad. There were many opportunities in my childhood that could have easily turned me into a Cubs fan; how many kids can say they played catch with a bunch of Cubs players at Wrigley Field?

But here I am... Thanks Big Hurt.

LoveYourSuit
02-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Still to this day, not one other ML player makes me stop to watch and see "what is he going to do next."

Frank to me is what Jordan was to the Bulls. What Payton was to the Bears.

It's going to be hard to replace Frank in my heart.

DumpJerry
02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/frank-thomas-officially-retires.html

:tiphat::worship:

Red Barchetta
02-11-2010, 08:31 PM
...start designing the Statue stat! :smile:

DrCrawdad
02-11-2010, 08:40 PM

I'm fairly certain it's already in the works.

Corlose 15
02-11-2010, 08:50 PM
For any Sox fan around my age (26) Frank Thomas will always be a special player. I grew up with those early '90s teams when Frank was just coming into his own and on his way to having an outstanding career. I remember listening to the games in Michigan and always having the feeling whenever Frank got up to the plate he was going to hit a HR. He was one of those players that seemed larger than life as a young kid.

Boondock Saint
02-11-2010, 08:52 PM

Well said. To me, Frank set the bar for future Sox players. We'll have more great players play for us through the years, but it'll take a hell of a lot to be Frank Thomas great.

Dibbs
02-11-2010, 08:58 PM
My all-time favorite. It makes me sad thinking I'll never see him play again. Last childhood hero in a way. Thanks Frank!

russ99
02-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Gotta admit I'm getting a bit misty eyed thinking that Frank's finally hung 'em up.

Best ballplayer I've ever seen. If he's not a first ballot HOF it's a travesty of the highest order.

Jerry, please hire the man. He needs to be a part of the Sox family again.

Vestigio
02-11-2010, 09:12 PM

start designing the HOF plaque

Woofer
02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I knew this day was coming, but to me, it still is shocking. I saw so many great moments from this man, both on tv and at the park. He will always be one of my favorite Sox players.

When he makes it to Cooperstown, my family will be there.

JB98
02-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Can't wait for Frank to take his rightful place in the Hall.

ChiSoxGirl
02-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Just as we all knew this day could come, hearing this news stings. Robin Ventura was my favorite player, but the tag-team of Thomas and Ventura was something awesome. Five years from now, we'll be singing Thomas' praises again on this board; that time as a Hall of Fame inductee.

When I was a freshman in high school, we were given a writing assignment from my English teacher, asking us to write three one-page papers- one dated the year we graduated high school (1997), one written as though it was the night before our ten year reunion, and one dated the night before our 20th year reunion. In the last paper, I had written that the White Sox tandem of Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura set records for being the oldest players in the Major Leagues. Hey, give me a break... I was 14. :redface:

Jaffar
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM
:clap:

dwalteroo
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Did you guys see his speech on the Comcast awards tonight for his lifetime achievement award? Pretty darn good speech.

Andy T Clown
02-11-2010, 10:28 PM
He will be a first ballot inductee. It will be the voter's "f you" message to McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc......

Same thing I was thinking.

g0g0
02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks for everything Frank! Best of luck in your future endeavors!

:worship: :hurt

ramblinsoxfan11
02-11-2010, 10:41 PM
He's been my favorite Sox player since I was 3, thanks for the great memories Big Frank!!! Now it's time to start to melting the bronze, they are going to need a lot of it for his statue

pauliemvp
02-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the memories Frank!

Oblong
02-11-2010, 10:47 PM
What hat's he gonna wear into Cooperstown? :redneck

Here's to Frank!

I have a small story to share about him. A friend of mine was the valet at the hotel the Sox stay in when they come to Detroit. This was mid 90's. The valets would put the tips they receive into a jar and split them up whenever someone's shift is over or someone starts up(to account for people who tip on the way in vs. the way out vs. nothing, it all evens out that way). One of the guys drove a van full of Sox players over to Canada for what we refer to as the Windsor Ballet. My friend was supposed to leave work at 1 am but the other guy asked him to work later for him. So after 1 my friend is the only valet there. They get the call at around 2:30 from one of the players to come to Windsor to get them. He takes the van over, hauls them all back to the hotel. Frank Thomas is one of the guys and tells him "Hey, thanks a lot for coming over and getting us, I know it's not really your job to do that but we appreciate it." and hands him a stash of money. They're not supposed to look at the money but ouf the corner of his eye he sees it's $100 bills. He just says "Thank you very much Mr. Thomas." When he got back into the booth there were 7 of those $100 bills. And since he was the only driver left.... nobody to split it with!

He did take me and a few friends out the next night with the proceeds. So thanks Frank and whoever else contributed!

Great career and I think he will be a first ballot HOFer. When I think of th Sox changing their logo in the early 90's he's the guy I picture.

thomas35forever
02-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Hats off to you, Frank, my favorite player of all-time. See you in Cooperstown in 2014.

I've waited until I turned 21 to use this smilie, but I couldn't pick a better time to start than now.:gulp:

chisox117
02-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Best hitter I've ever seen.
Here's to you, Frank :gulp:

raul12
02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
i remember hearing stories about this amazing player in the minor leagues who had a great eye and could kill the ball. I wouldn't let myself believe it was true. I was not disappointed when I saw him come up and what he could do.

I just looked back at his stats when he was in his prime. Holy ****!!!! I mean... wow. just wow. I have tingles running through my body right now thinking that I'll never see him play again. He was a pleasure to watch. :smile:

Taliesinrk
02-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Not a great article or anything, but with how sad I feel like the news is, I should have suspected Ozzie would find a way to get a quote in that made me laugh... last line of the article.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2043816,frank-thomas-retire-white-sox-021110.article

May not always like Ozzie's decisions, but he's a funny guy...

anewman35
02-11-2010, 11:34 PM
There will be no one-day contract. The CBA does not allow it and it would be a cheap gimmick, anyway.

Other teams seem to be able to do it - http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080924&content_id=3542422&vkey=news_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf

october23sp
02-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Retire his number this year or next?

DSpivack
02-12-2010, 12:05 AM
He is one of the main reasons I picked the Sox over the Cubs. He had so many big moments. Thank you for all of your years of service, Big Hurt. The HOF will bear your name immediately when you become eligible.

I think he is THE reason I picked the Sox over the Cubs. It was the early 90s, I was raised as a Cub fan at a very young age, but had family on both sides. I linked him with the Bulls, not because of the shared ownership, but both just had a swagger that I loved and had players on the tops of their games. My dad took me to a playoff game in 1993, I fell in love with the atmosphere and I was hooked.

I look forward to a July (it is in July, right?) trip to Cooperstown in a few years.

october23sp
02-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Throw my name into the "That's why I'm a Sox fan" ring. When I was on the White Sox as a kid I starting following them and I really like Frank. Still wear my first ever Sox jersey with 35 Thomas on the back.

SoxFan1979
02-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Best. White Sox. Ever.

Frank Thomas is the reason why I am a Sox fan.

Amen to that amigo. :gulp:

Chrisaway
02-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Frank Thomas is the reason I love pro sports, not just baseball. Thank you for everything I'll definitely make the trip to Cooperstown when you do.

WhiteSox5187
02-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Retire his number this year or next?

I'd do it this year, why wait?

Lip Man 1
02-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Very appropriate that Frank will announce it at U.S. Cellular. One of the best hitters I ever saw period.

The Chicago Tribune is saying that sources are telling them Thomas will have his number retired around August 2nd, the 20th anniversary of his White Sox debut.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
02-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Very appropriate that Frank will announce it at U.S. Cellular. One of the best hitters I ever saw period.

The Chicago Tribune is saying that sources are telling them Thomas will have his number retired around August 2nd, the 20th anniversary of his White Sox debut.

Lip

Will they retire number 35 or number 15, the one he wore in his debut?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Will they retire number 35 or number 15, the one he wore in his debut?

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/gordon-beckham.jpg

"Nah, I've got that one covered."

Thanks for everything you did for the Sox, Frank. Enjoy that 2005 World Series Championship ring! You helped us earn that one! :gulp:

Britt Burns
02-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Thank you Frank! The best White Sox ever!

Dub25
02-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Just checked into this thread and I don't feel like playing catch up and reading all of the posts.

I will just say, Frank, thanks for the memories and here is to the next White Sox hall of famer in 5 years. :gulp:I just wish you could've done more in 2005 even though what you did was awesome. Also, in my book, you are a 3 time MVP'er because the cheater, Jason Giambi, took one away from you in 2000. I hope Dan Patrick can sleep better since he was theone that pushed for that jerk.

MarySwiss
02-12-2010, 01:52 AM
I wore my Thomas #35 T-shirt to an open mic tonight. When my turn to perform came, I told the crowd that he had retired, and I dedicated a song to him. "South Side Irish." Not sure how many people understood the lyrics or the gesture--it is Arizona, after all!--but there are some things you just gotta do!!:D:

Here's to you, big guy! :gulp:

Dub25
02-12-2010, 02:02 AM
I wore my Thomas #35 T-shirt to an open mic tonight. When my turn to perform came, I told the crowd that he had retired, and I dedicated a song to him. "South Side Irish." Not sure how many people understood the lyrics or the gesture--it is Arizona, after all!--but there are some things you just gotta do!!:D:

Here's to you, big guy! :gulp:

As long as the place you were at didn't charge a sur-charge for the Cubs new spring training home then who cares what the others thought.

Soxman219
02-12-2010, 02:18 AM
The reason I became a Sox fan was because of Big Hurt.

See you in Cooperstown #35. :gulp:

kruzer31
02-12-2010, 02:27 AM
Sox are going to announce the retirement of number 35 tomorrow, with a planned ceremony for aug 2nd.

JEFF

Soxfest
02-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Congrats #35 on a great career thanks!:clap:

Heffalump
02-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Thank you Big Hurt......You truly are one of the best ever. I am so happy that you are a White Sox.

Frontman
02-12-2010, 07:31 AM

They better have his left heel raised just a touch or it won't be accurate!!!!

That was one thing I loved about Frank's stance. There was no crazy positions or "coiling" his body to produce his bat speed. He really was like old school, "ok, right here big man. Dare you to put it a bit to close to the plate!!!"

harwar
02-12-2010, 08:03 AM
i'm not much on the autograph thing, but on the wall in my den i have three signed pictures .. Bobby Hull .. Dick Butkus .. Frank Thomas .. i wouldn't sell those for any price

anewman35
02-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Sox are going to announce the retirement of number 35 tomorrow, with a planned ceremony for aug 2nd.

JEFF

There's no game August 2nd. I can't imagine they're going to try to do it as a seperate event, are they? Or will it be the day before, against Oakland?

Frater Perdurabo
02-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Or will it be the day before, against Oakland?

That would be even better, because his remaining Athletics teammates also would be there.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-12-2010, 09:03 AM
I saw the note on the Foxsports app on my phone. Bittersweet.....happy he's announcing it at the Cell....just wished his whole career could've been in our pinstripes.

Enjoy the HoF Frank. :cool:

#1swisher
02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
To one of the greatest players in baseball. Thanks for the memories, Big Hurt:gulp:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4907072&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

300bowler
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
He was the face of the franchise in the 90's. ":gulp:MMMMMMMMMMmm Beer-Homer Simpson."

thedudeabides
02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Still to this day, not one other ML player makes me stop to watch and see "what is he going to do next."

Well put.

I made sure I never missed an at bat, and the park was buzzing every time he stepped to the plate.

The first 5-10 years in his career it seemed like the only time he made an out was on a hard hit ball. He was one of the best hitters I have ever seen, and easily the best in a White Sox uniform. He really was what Pujols is now.

I really hope he gets voted in first ballot, but don't really care as baseball writers are a bunch of pompous asses. There is no way they can start looking at some of his numbers and not remember how truly dominant he was. He was as feared a hitter as I remember.

Here's to all of the wonderful memories. :gulp:

DonnieDarko
02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
best. White sox. Ever.

Frank thomas is the reason why i am a sox fan.

+1

KenBerryGrab
02-12-2010, 11:06 AM
We were so fortunate to watch Frank for all those years.

You never wanted to be in a concession line when Frank came up.

thedudeabides
02-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Not sure if this should be split into another thread.

It will be "Frank Thomas Day", It's a 1:05 day game against the Yankees.

Trib (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/frank-thomas.html)

Congrats Frank!!!!

Thome25
02-12-2010, 11:30 AM
THANK YOU Frank.......Thank you for so many years of enjoyment watching you as an offensive juggernaut for our White Sox.

Thank you for bringing a sliver of credibility to an otherwise tainted era in baseball history. Thank you to you and Bo Jackson for making me love baseball and the White Sox.

Thank you #35 you will be missed.:gulp::whiner:

SephClone89
02-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Congrats Frank!!!!

Oh, for ****'s sake! :o:

I'm going the day before. And God knows I can't afford two Yankees games in a row. Of course they decided to do it at a Yankees game. Why not do it at a game where they expected a smaller crowd? A Frank Thomas Day would get some people into the seats. They were going to draw big for the Yankees anyway.

russ99
02-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Congrats Frank!!!!

Wow, I totally lucked out in getting bleacher tickets for this game this week during the Pride Club presale.

:D:

CHISOXFAN13
02-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Oh, for ****'s sake! :o:

I'm going the day before. And God knows I can't afford two Yankees games in a row. Of course they decided to do it at a Yankees game. Why not do it at a game where they expected a smaller crowd? A Frank Thomas Day would get some people into the seats. They were going to draw big for the Yankees anyway.

Maybe that's when Frank wanted to do it!

white sox bill
02-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Hell I heard so little from him lately, I thought he had retired!

Good job Hurt! Thanks for everthing!

Sad
02-12-2010, 12:19 PM
:gulp:
to the greatest hitter of our long White Sox history!

house215
02-12-2010, 12:21 PM
I was born in 1984 and grew up with Frank Thomas in his prime. He was always my favorite player. I would follow every Big Hurt stat in the paper each morning and stuff every All Star Ballot with #35. I cried like baby when the baseball strike happened in 1994 because I was so sure he was gonna break the single season home run record and the Sox were going to win the World Series. Thank you Frank Thomas! You are the reason I am a Sox fan to this day and will always be a legend on the South Side.

mrwag
02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Anyone buy their tickets yet?

Paulwny
02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Greatest hitter in Sox history
Thanks for the memories
I hope I'm still around to see and hear his HOF induction speech in 2014 .

SBSoxFan
02-12-2010, 12:53 PM
There's no game August 2nd. I can't imagine they're going to try to do it as a seperate event, are they? Or will it be the day before, against Oakland?

To bad it's not going to be August 1, my birthday. :tongue: The Big Hurt is just over 2 months older than me. Looking at him, it's hard to believe we are almost the same age; hell, it's hard to believe we are even the same species!

It's a shame he couldn't go out how he wanted. Had his foot held up, he'd be sitting on 600+ HRs too. Regardless, he'll be in the hall soon.

Thanks Frank! :bandance:

mrfourni
02-12-2010, 12:54 PM

Congrats Frank!!!!

Wow the quotes from bitter Cubs fans after that article are brutal.

TheOldRoman
02-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Wow the quotes from bitter Cubs fans after that article are brutal.Some of them were pretending to be Sox fans, too. Obviously, we have our fair share of imbeciles. Mully and Hanley this morning played a caller saying "I go back and forth about retiring his number. And if you have to think about it, you shouldn't." Just minblowing.

Marqhead
02-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Buster Olney thinks he's a shoo-in not only because of his numbers but because of his stance on steroids.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4908616

gr8mexico
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Yup 4 tickets in the bleachers :gulp:

jabrch
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Best Sox hitter of my lifetime - no doubt. Amongst the very best HITTERS I have seen. He did it the right way - no doubt. I'll be out there cheering for the Big Guy on his retirement day.

DSpivack
02-12-2010, 01:34 PM

Just got two, UD behind homeplate. Might even be the same section I sat in for his 2-HR return with Oakland.

tstrike2000
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
See you in the Hall on the first ballot.

TheOldRoman
02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Buster Olney thinks he's a shoo-in not only because of his numbers but because of his stance on steroids.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4908616 I think he will get in and be the first DH, but I don't think it will be in his first year. First off is the DH thing, then the morons who will speculate steroids just because he played in that time, and maybe more importantly, Maddux and Glavine will be on the same ballot. Maddux is definately first ballot, and Glavine might be, too. These uppity jag-offs are picky with their voting, so they might decide 3 first-balloters in the same year is too many.

asindc
02-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Wow the quotes from bitter Cubs fans after that article are brutal.

If those comments are representative of some Cubs fans, then they really have a hard time maintaining the lie that they don't care about the Sox.

About Frank:

He and Griffey, Jr. have proven themselves to be the two best hitters of their era. The one thing that stood out during his press conference is that he said football was his favorite sport! I has always assumed that he liked baseball better. I think it speaks highly of his approach to the game. Not only one of the most physically-imposing great hitters ever, but also one of the most cerebral I have ever seen. Thank you, Frank Thomas!:gulp:

illinibk
02-12-2010, 02:39 PM
...These uppity jag-offs are picky with their voting, so they might decide 3 first-balloters in the same year is too many.
I tend to agree, but we've seen this before in 1999 why Ryan, Brett, and Yount all making it first ballot. IIRC Fisk missed by 40 or so votes. But I think a solid argument can be made that Maddux/Glavin/Thomas has as much of an impact on the game as Ryan/Brett/Yount.

I've never been to the HOF, but I bet I could even convince my Cub's fan of a wife to come with me if the Big Hurt gets in the same year as Maddux.

Crestani
02-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I think he will get in and be the first DH, but I don't think it will be in his first year. First off is the DH thing, then the morons who will speculate steroids just because he played in that time, and maybe more importantly, Maddux and Glavine will be on the same ballot. Maddux is definately first ballot, and Glavine might be, too. These uppity jag-offs are picky with their voting, so they might decide 3 first-balloters in the same year is too many.

While you may be right about the DH thing. However, the one constant that is in Frank's favor in getting in on the first ballot is the fact that no other player (sans Ted Williams) put up the kind of numbers he did his first 6 years in the Majors while playing first base.

mzh
02-12-2010, 04:06 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/frank-thomas-linear-weights-reminisce/

A tribute from the stat geeks of the world :tongue:

KenBerryGrab
02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Rob Neyer loves him some Frank.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/2364/big-hurt-even-better-than-you-think

Trav
02-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I wish the sports journalists in Chicago treated Frank this civil when he was playing. I think he was one of the top five right handed hitters of all time and he was outspoken about steroid testing before it was cool.

TheOldRoman
02-12-2010, 04:35 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/2364/big-hurt-even-better-than-you-think Good to see Frank geting love, but that is mostly gobbledy gook nonsense. He degrades Frank for being poor defensively (valid) and says that hurt his teams greatly, while mentioning that he played half of his career at DH. His defense at the DH position was surely lacking. He then says Frank's defense and baserunning cost his team a lot, and to prove it, he arbitrarily creates a number of 200 runs. So while Frank supposedly "generated" 750 runs, 1/3 of them were apparently negated by him making errors and gettin picked off base.:rolleyes:

QueerGirrl
02-12-2010, 04:45 PM

+1 You will always be the man Frank! His was the first jersey I ever bought. Thanks for everything and see you in the Hall! :gulp:

voodoochile
02-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Good to see Frank geting love, but that is mostly gobbledy gook nonsense. He degrades Frank for being poor defensively (valid) and says that hurt his teams greatly, while mentioning that he played half of his career at DH. His defense at the DH position was surely lacking. He then says Frank's defense and baserunning cost his team a lot, and to prove it, he arbitrarily creates a number of 200 runs. So while Frank supposedly "generated" 750 runs, 1/3 of them were apparently negated by him making errors and gettin picked off base.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I tried to leave a comment about him using crappy made up crappy stats like "runs above replacement player" whatever the **** that is but it wouldn't actually post.

You want to know how much Frank helped the Sox?

He is 20th all time in Runs Created (runs + RBI - HR).

Every single eligible player in the top 50 is in the HOF.

Mr. Skin
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/frank-thomas-is-the-most-underrated-hitter-ever.html.php

The Sosa, McGuire, Bonds (STEROID) craziness hurt The Big Hurt, because it overshadowed his hitting accomplishments. Glad to see some one else feels that way too.

Thatguyoverthere
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Wow the quotes from bitter Cubs fans after that article are brutal.Holy cow there are a lot of ignorant people out there. I'm reading some of the comments from the other articles too and many baseball fans of other teams believe he's not a HOF, some citing his big size as guaranteeing his steroid use. I can't believe this is even an argument. If you even have to think twice that one of the 20 greatest hitters of all-time belongs in the HOF, then you don't know baseball. It boggles my mind as to why people think it should even be a debate. :scratch:

I'm just upset that I'm young enough (19) that I never got to see the Big Hurt in his prime, or was too young to understand. Though even at the tail-end of his career, I could still see that he had one of the best eyes in the game.

mzh
02-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Holy cow there are a lot of ignorant people out there. I'm reading some of the comments from the other articles too and many baseball fans of other teams believe he's not a HOF, some citing his big size as guaranteeing his steroid use. I can't believe this is even an argument. If you even have to think twice that one of the 20 greatest hitters of all-time belongs in the HOF, then you don't know baseball. It boggles my mind as to why people think it should even be a debate. :scratch:

+1

75% of NBA players are over 6 feet tall! They must be on steroids!

Frankfan4life
02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
The Frank Thomas era has officially come to an end. I was glad to have been able to witness his entire MLB career. And what a great career it has been!

I'm definitely planning on being at the game when Frank's number 35 is retired and watching him being enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Thanks for the memories, Big Hurt!

SephClone89
02-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Should I try to get tickets for my dad and I for Frank Thomas day? I am already going to six games, including the day before. It just seems like overkill. If I don't, I'll definitely want to drive to Cooperstown in '14.

#1swisher
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Should I try to get tickets for my dad and I for Frank Thomas day? I am already going to six games, including the day before. It just seems like overkill. If I don't, I'll definitely want to drive to Cooperstown in '14.

Simple answer...YES!

soxfan21
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm glad they're having his tribute day on a Sunday, can't wait to be there and see all that the sox have planned for that day.

all*star quentin
02-12-2010, 06:53 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/2364/big-hurt-even-better-than-you-think

It's great that Frank is gettting his well deserved respect.

Frontman
02-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Some of them were pretending to be Sox fans, too. Obviously, we have our fair share of imbeciles. Mully and Hanley this morning played a caller saying "I go back and forth about retiring his number. And if you have to think about it, you shouldn't." Just minblowing.

I loved the bitter Cub fan who called Boers and Bernstein comparing Sandburg to Thomas. Sorry, Ryno wasn't the power threat EVER that Frank was.

Like I said, I sure hope Frank is the first ballot Hall of Famer to go in not just as a DH, but first time as well. But I will understand if it doesn't happen; as the baseball writers are imbeciles.

Frankfan4life
02-12-2010, 07:47 PM
I wish the sports journalists in Chicago treated Frank this civil when he was playing. I think he was one of the top five right handed hitters of all time and he was outspoken about steroid testing before it was cool.I totally agree. I think Sosa got better press before it was revealed that he was a cheater. I'm glad that Frank took the time to reflect on his career and then come back to the Sox organization and retire in a very graceful way. I always thought that the Big Hurt was a class act who just had a hard time handling criticism and perceived injustices.

Rikirk
02-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Big Frank brought me back into the White Sox, and solidified the team as my fav sports team.

In the 90's you'ld get excited every time he came to the plate cuz you knew he had the possibility to drive one over the wall or just do something good.

Thanks Frank.

He made it fun.

:D:

johnnyg83
02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Slainte, Frank.

The best White Sox I ever saw play. A guy who got on base 4+ out of every ten times he batted.

The best hitter of the 90s. 2x (should have been 3) MVP, WS winner and a threat to go deep on any pitcher at any time.

We were lucky to have witnessed it. Thank you! The best #35 of all time!

TheBigHurtST
02-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Thank you, Frank. Thank you for everything you did as a Sox player. You truly made me a Sox fan in the first place. I think I speak for all of us when I say that as a fan... I LOVE YOU, FRANK! NO HOMO! :bandance:

voodoochile
02-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Thank you, Frank. Thank you for everything you did as a Sox player. You truly made me a Sox fan in the first place. I think I speak for all of us when I say that as a fan... I LOVE YOU, FRANK! NO HOMO! :bandance:

It's really not necessary to give the qualifier at the end of your post. I'd appreciate it if in the future you would skip it.

TheBigHurtST
02-13-2010, 01:36 AM
It's really not necessary to give the qualifier at the end of your post. I'd appreciate it if in the future you would skip it.

:?:

Um, I understand the whole formality and political correctness, but I'm gonna be honest here and say that's absolutely ridiculous. You couldn't possibly be any more uptight about something. It's clearly just simple humor. I'd feel sorry for anyone who would be so mentally fragile as to actually be offended by that.

But, uh... okay.

mccoydp
02-13-2010, 02:12 AM
I became a White Sox fan, and a baseball fan, because of Frank Thomas. His outstanding play will be missed, but I look forward to his induction into the HoF. Cheers to a fabulous career! :smile:

TornLabrum
02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
:?:

Um, I understand the whole formality and political correctness, but I'm gonna be honest here and say that's absolutely ridiculous. You couldn't possibly be any more uptight about something. It's clearly just simple humor. I'd feel sorry for anyone who would be so mentally fragile as to actually be offended by that.

But, uh... okay.

I think this has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with 1) your feeling the need to put in the qualifier and 2) the word used in the qualifier.

And now that I've provided my take on this, and why the qualifier offended me, I think it's best dropped.

TornLabrum
02-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Now back to the topic since I wasn't able to stop by here yesterday. Frank is the greatest Sox player of all time, and he (despite what the sports media tried to make people believe) was a good guy. He never hesitated to give the WCSF autographed items for raffles, etc. My son has a couple of pictures of Frank with him at a suburban restaurant. Frank was there with his own group and didn't hesitate to pose.

He's the best Sox player I've ever seen and probably the second best hitter I've ever seen, after Ted Williams. If he isn't a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, then they should tear down the Hall of Fame.

Noneck
02-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Thomas is the 1st "true" Sox player destined to the HOF that most Sox fans have seen from the beginning of career to end. Not many Sox fans are still around that saw Nellie at the beginning of his career. Looie even though considered a Sox played 8 years elsewhere and 10 with Sox. Fisk played about 1/2 of his career as a Sox but chose to be recognized with the other sox.

When Thomas gets into The Hall it should be and will be a momentous occasion for all Sox fans.

asindc
02-13-2010, 10:51 AM
For those that have the MLB Network, the latest edition of Hot Stove discusses Big Frank's retirement and legacy.

TommyJohn
02-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Rick Telander wastes no time pissing on Thomas' legacy and campaigning against his inclusion in the Hall of Fame. He just can't get past the fact that he was a DH. This ******* acts as if Thomas was a DH his entire career, not for half of it.

He actually has been anti-Frank for a while. He campaigned against Thomas candidacy for MVP in 2000 (allowning Giambi to win it) and wrote in 2005 that the White Sox wouldn't have won the World Series with Thomas playing every day. I don't know how he knows this. Perhaps he fed the data into the What If machine.

He then says hey, we can't be sure Thomas didn't use steroids. It was the era. Everyone is under suspicion. He concludes by basically saying OK, it isn't his fault, but it isn't "ours" either. In other words, don't blame me for all the libeling and slandering I'm doing. It isn't my fault.

I know I shouldn't have looked, because I knew what garbage Telander was going to spew. I looked anyway, and I am sorry.

Message to all WSIers who think that Thomas will be a first-or-second ballot Hall of Famer-with guys like Telander holding the "Keys to the Kingdom" and openly campaigning against the DH-I will be kind and say You Are Dreaming. Thomas and his supporters are going to have to shout his case from the rooftops before the BBWAA finally gets the message.

asindc
02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Rick Telander wastes no time pissing on Thomas' legacy and campaigning against his inclusion in the Hall of Fame. He just can't get past the fact that he was a DH. This ******* acts as if Thomas was a DH his entire career, not for half of it.

He actually has been anti-Frank for a while. He campaigned against Thomas candidacy for MVP in 2000 (allowning Giambi to win it) and wrote in 2005 that the White Sox wouldn't have won the World Series with Thomas playing every day. I don't know how he knows this. Perhaps he fed the data into the What If machine.

He then says hey, we can't be sure Thomas didn't use steroids. It was the era. Everyone is under suspicion. He concludes by basically saying OK, it isn't his fault, but it isn't "ours" either. In other words, don't blame me for all the libeling and slandering I'm doing. It isn't my fault.

I know I shouldn't have looked, because I knew what garbage Telander was going to spew. I looked anyway, and I am sorry.

Message to all WSIers who think that Thomas will be a first-or-second ballot Hall of Famer-with guys like Telander holding the "Keys to the Kingdom" and openly campaigning against the DH-I will be kind and say You Are Dreaming. Thomas and his supporters are going to have to shout his case from the rooftops before the BBWAA finally gets the message.

He is the first media person I've heard about trashing Frank's legacy. Everyone else I've heard speak on the subject so far says there is no argument about it. Not that I expected all media personalities to love Frank, but Telander's crusade smacks of someone who is pouting because Frank did not let him hang out with the cool people.

sox1970
02-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Anyone against Frank going in the Hall is an idiot. First ballot, or otherwise.

He played half of his career (the great half) at 1B.

7 straight years of .300 avg, 24+ homers, 100 RBIs, 100 runs, 100 walks
2 MVPs
Career .301 hitter
521 homers
No links to PEDs.

No brainer. He's a Hall of Famer.

Mr. Skin
02-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Look at pictures of Sosa, Bonds, McGuire, Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, Pudge Rodriquez, Juan Gonzalez, and many others early in their careers and then compare those pics to them when they had their best home run years. Frank is one of the few sluggers from that era who was the SAME SIZE AND WEIGHT from his rookie year through the steroid era. Plus, the players know who the steroid guys were and NO ONE has ever fingered Frank. It's amazing Telander would even imply that.

TommyJohn
02-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Anyone against Frank going in the Hall is an idiot. First ballot, or otherwise.

He played half of his career (the great half) at 1B.

7 straight years of .300 avg, 24+ homers, 100 RBIs, 100 runs, 100 walks
2 MVPs
Career .301 hitter
521 homers
No links to PEDs.

No brainer. He's a Hall of Famer.

Hot Stove presented a mind-boggling stat-Thomas is one of four players with 500 HR, 1500 RBI and a .300 lifetime BA. The other three are Mel Ott, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. (This may have been posted, I don't remember every post in the thread. Sorry if it already has been posted).

In my opinion he outdistances Luke Appling as the greatest hitter in White Sox history, perhaps even the greatest player in White Sox history.

Thomas has moved on from the way he was discarded in Chicago, but I'll always feel a small sense of regret that he did not hit his 500th home run in a White Sox uniform. To me, that's like Ernie Banks hitting his 500th in the uniform of the Houston Astros or the Montreal Expos. Seeing Jim Thome strike his 500th for the Sox was nothing but a small consolation prize (most of his home runs came for the Indians, and I doubt most fans identify him with the White Sox.)

TommyJohn
02-13-2010, 02:26 PM
It's amazing Telander would even imply that.
Yes, but like he said-it's not his fault. The steroid era has given him a license to libel.

Brian26
02-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Look at pictures of Sosa, Bonds, McGuire, Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, Pudge Rodriquez, Juan Gonzalez, and many others early in their careers and then compare those pics to them when they had their best home run years. Frank is one of the few sluggers from that era who was the SAME SIZE AND WEIGHT from his rookie year through the steroid era. Plus, the players know who the steroid guys were and NO ONE has ever fingered Frank. It's amazing Telander would even imply that.

That's not really true. Frank's always been a big guy, but he definitely added some muscle and bulk as he aged, which is normal for a guy who's spending any considerable time in the gym and eating a ton. His percentage of growth was nowhere near that of Bonds, but he definitely got bigger.

I don't think Frank ever took steroids.

Frontman
02-13-2010, 04:35 PM

First off, Telander is no longer relevant in this town. The only thing missing from last week's "Boost mobile" ad with the 85 Bears is Telander singing its praises! Then to go on and talk about the Bears team of TWENTY FIVE years ago!!! And how all would be solved for the Bears if they just rehired Ditka and brought back the 46....

Telander can make a point that with Frank on the active roster the Sox might not of won a championship; but I'll put this out there:

For those few weeks Frank was able to play in those 30-something games; how many of those Home Runs and RBI's lead the Sox to win? Take a handful of those homers away; and we might still be waiting on a World Championship, as we needed every win we could get after the August slide.

Now, its no secret I had ONE terrible experience with Frank personally; and it clouded my opinion of him. One incident does not make a man's career or legacy. I remember during the late '90's them piping in "Way to go, Frank." after a Thomas home run at New Comiskey. I felt it was a bit contrived; but I will say this; when I saw the Frank Thomas Blue Jays commercial a few years back, and when someone had to make a stink about it?

I thought THAT was contrived and was way to critical of Frank. But then the Blue Jays and Frank turned it into a positive with the pillow giveaway at the ballpark. And I could see how much Frank was doing for, and still does, for kids?

It was then I found myself saying, "Way to go, Frank."

And, warts and all; Frank Thomas IS the best White Sox player, EVER. Even his critics who cite his off the field stuff and the feud with Kenny Williams have to admit his prowess and skill when he stepped into the batter's box.

No player in my lifetime; other than Pudge Fisk; did I stop and make sure I saw his every at bat when at the game. Pudge I knew was Hall of Fame bound already. For Frank; Frank was a game changer. You knew that he had a chance of changing the course of a game with one swing (or with his ability to draw a walk, a non-swing.) He was the coolest thing to see for the Sox for an entire era.

To the White Sox; Frank Thomas is to them what Cal Ripken is to Baltimore. At times the only bright spot in an entire roster. The only difference is that Cal didn't aggravate the reporters like Frank did.

But in the end; what happens on the field is the most important way to remember a player. And in four years time; if Frank is NOT inducted in the first round, I'll accept it;

but I'll be royally annoyed. Frank Thomas, #35; the BALLPLAYER and the MAN, in my mind, is Hall of Fame caliber.

tstrike2000
02-13-2010, 05:05 PM
That's not really true. Frank's always been a big guy, but he definitely added some muscle and bulk as he aged, which is normal for a guy who's spending any considerable time in the gym and eating a ton. His percentage of growth was nowhere near that of Bonds, but he definitely got bigger.

I don't think Frank ever took steroids.

True. I think if Frank took any steroids at all, especially anywhere near the amount of steroids guys like Bonds and Shammy supposedly took, he probably would've been almost big enough to play tackle for the Bears.

Rick Telander lost credibility a long time ago basing so many of his articles on speculation and not on fact. Of course that's nothing new in journalism. Paul Molitor, for example, may not be a Hall Of Famer without DH'ing, but Telander would never bring anything like that up.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-14-2010, 03:27 AM
Wasn't sure if this has been posted. If not, something you guys would all enjoy.

jfwp70Bdfy8

Frontman
02-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Wasn't sure if this has been posted. If not, something you guys would all enjoy.

jfwp70Bdfy8

Thanks a TON for that. And you know what; I stand by everyone else who says Frank was clean. I forget just how HUGE he was back when he came in; and yes, he did get bigger.

In the sense of eating stuff that wasn't that good for him. The man was huge.

TornLabrum
02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks a TON for that. And you know what; I stand by everyone else who says Frank was clean. I forget just how HUGE he was back when he came in; and yes, he did get bigger.

In the sense of eating stuff that wasn't that good for him. The man was huge.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Thomas at a game. I said to my son, "That guy is BIG!" He got bigger, but the video does provide a nice contrast with Sosa in the on deck circle. Sammy got big. Thomas got bigger.

soxinem1
02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Man... It's a sad day. Gives me goosebumps thinking how much I watched him as a boy.

I remember meeting Frank in the hotel bar in MIL the weekend he made his MLB debut. Since we are nearly identical in age, it has sure been interesting looking back on the past 20 years.

We could see then he would definitely be the best draft pick in team history, but who knew what a presence he would make, and so quick??

But behind the big smile, I could see that Frank was struggling very hard to hold back the tears.

I wish he could have spent his entire career here, but at least he didn't hang on and disgrace himself like many veterans of the past have.

TheOldRoman
02-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I'll never forget the first time I saw Thomas at a game. I said to my son, "That guy is BIG!" He got bigger, but the video does provide a nice contrast with Sosa in the on deck circle. Sammy got big. Thomas got bigger.And most of the weight that Thomas added was in his midsection. He is much like Thome in that way, although Frank was much bigger when he came up. They both added a good amount of muscle, as any player does through the first several years of his career. However, Thome and Frank both filled out, whearas Sosa became a body builder.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-15-2010, 12:20 AM
And most of the weight that Thomas added was in his midsection. He is much like Thome in that way, although Frank was much bigger when he came up. They both added a good amount of muscle, as any player does through the first several years of his career. However, Thome and Frank both filled out, whearas Sosa became a body builder.

Yea, seeing a player fill out as he gets older isn't odd. Frank put the weight on naturally. The guy always looked like he SHOULD be that big, as opposed to Big Mac or Sammy.

C-Dawg
02-15-2010, 09:54 AM

Wasn't he the one who wrote the "Highs and Lows of Thomas' Career with the Sox" article after Frank wasn't re-signed after the 2005 season? It was the article that included a quote from Ozzie Guillen circa about 1996 about how the ballpark was as quiet as a morgue most days, which had nothing to do with Frank Thomas in the least; it was just there as a slam.

TommyJohn
02-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Wasn't he the one who wrote the "Highs and Lows of Thomas' Career with the Sox" article after Frank wasn't re-signed after the 2005 season? It was the article that included a quote from Ozzie Guillen circa about 1996 about how the ballpark was as quiet as a morgue most days, which had nothing to do with Frank Thomas in the least; it was just there as a slam.
That might have been "Sox fan" Paul Sullivan. He wrote a piece titled "Frank Thomas's 10 worst moments with White Sox." The article slamming Thomas was a momentary respite for "Sox Fan" Paul, who quickly went back to his pet project of rehabilitating Sammy Sosa's image in preparation for the 2012 Hall of Fame vote.