PDA

View Full Version : Dye

mzh
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Alright, I think it's late enough in the offseason to bring this up.

Anyone see him getting an invite to ST, maybe duking it out with A Jones for the 4th outfielder/DH spot? As much as Jones glove is, I would honestly rather have Dye in his role simply because he still did hit almost 30 homers despite batting .250, neither of which Jones has done in the last four seasons. All in all, the risk factor is lower with JD, especially if he would play DH much more often and be in a reduced role from last year.

KMcMahon817
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Anyone see him getting an invite to ST, maybe duking it out with A Jones for the 4th outfielder/DH spot? As much as Jones glove is, I would honestly rather have Dye in his role simply because he still did hit almost 30 homers despite batting .250, neither of which Jones has done in the last four seasons. All in all, the risk factor is lower with JD, especially if he would play DH much more often and be in a reduced role from last year.

I don't really think JD will have to resort to an invite to ST. He's better than that and he knows it, and we all know it. Someone will pick him up.

With that said, I wouldn't be against that someone being the Sox. The only problem is then you have to cut Nix or more likely Jones, which isn't the end of world, but kind of rude in Jones' case. But, who cares, I'm still for it!:D:

dwalteroo
02-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't really think JD will have to resort to an invite to ST. He's better than that and he knows it, and we all know it. Someone will pick him up.

With that said, I wouldn't be against that someone being the Sox. The only problem is then you have to cut Nix or more likely Jones, which isn't the end of world, but kind of rude in Jones' case. But, who cares, I'm still for it!:D:

Double-concur. JD will not be a ST-invitee anywhere, and I would be up for another go-round with him in a WS uniform.

mzh
02-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I guess what I meant by ST invite is an expendable contract that would basically hinge on him making the team out of the spring, which would most likely be the case.

russ99
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM

The question is if Dye's skills are diminished or if he was just in a slump. At his age, it's a toss-up. Dye's 36 and Jones is 33.

Add in Jones' defensive skills and he's a better risk at this point, especially considering how little he's on the hook for and Jermaine's quoted hesitance to be a DH and play part-time and at multiple positions.

If Jones doesn't work out and Dye is still out there it could be a possibility like Pods last year, but I don't see a Dye signing going into spring for over $3M. His comments make it even less likely.

mzh
02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
The question is if Dye's skills are diminished or if he was just in a slump. At his age, it's a toss-up. Dye's 36 and Jones is 33.

Add in Jones' defensive skills and he's a better risk at this point, especially considering how little he's on the hook for and Jermaine's quoted hesitance to be a DH and play part-time and at multiple positions.
At this point, with 2.5 weeks until all players report to ST, I don't think Dye would turn town another offer just because he won't DH. I agree with you when you say it's a toss-up, but it's not as close as you make it seem. The runners that Jones will throw put and the plays he makes will not make up for the extra 5-6 HRs and maybe even 20+ RBI that Dye could give over Jones. I know that we have a pretty good ballpark for Jones to hit in, but I would rather take the chance of Dye doing what he's done as recently as half a season ago than what Jones hasn't done since 2006.

dwalteroo
02-11-2010, 03:51 PM
At this point, with 2.5 weeks until all players report to ST, I don't think Dye would turn town another offer just because he won't DH. I agree with you when you say it's a toss-up, but it's not as close as you make it seem. The runners that Jones will throw put and the plays he makes will not make up for the extra 5-6 HRs and maybe even 20+ RBI that Dye could give over Jones. I know that we have a pretty good ballpark for Jones to hit in, but I would rather take the chance of Dye doing what he's done as recently as half a season ago than what Jones hasn't done since 2006.

Look at the last 2 seasons. Jones is the bigger risk, even if Dye is 36.

mzh
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying

dwalteroo
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying

Then we are in agreement! From our mouths to Kenny's ears.

russ99
02-12-2010, 11:41 AM

I'm not looking at the last 2 seasons. What Jermaine did in 2008 has zero bearing on how he can't field his position full-time anymore and fell off at the plate the second half of last year at age 35.

We may disagree, but I think Jones is worth a look, as he could bring more to the table in a part-time role at this point.

Besides, if Jones proves me wrong and blows his last shot, then Kenny wil go out and get someone younger and better than what's available on the FA market a week before spring camp opens.

cards press box
02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Once Johnny Damon signs somewhere, I expect that Jermaine Dye will sign with one of the clubs that didn't get Damon soon thereafter. I know that the Sox want a lefty hitting DH but if the Tigers or Braves sign Damon and the Sox ultimately sign Dye to DH and occasionally play LF, that would be o.k., too.

johnnyg83
02-13-2010, 01:27 AM
I think JD could have a decent year playing 80%-90% DH. Could save his legs and keep his hands fast ... no one wants him in the field apparently.

Sam Spade
02-13-2010, 02:19 AM
How do we know that dye hasn't recieved some decent offers? 4 million, 1 year, or something like that? I would bet he has. Just because you aren't hearing about it, and he hasn't signed anywhere yet, you really think he is a spring training invite? I think you are being very presumptuous. I wouldn't be surprised if he fetches more than damon when he does sign. I'd certainly rather have dye. From dye's comments it sounds like he just thinks he is worth more than his offers. He is probably right.

Brian26
02-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Based on Dye's comments two days ago about his scuffling due to the outfield platoon/rotation situation last year (whether legitimate or not), the 2010 Sox are probably not the best fit for him. It's probably not a fit here at all. Dye's a good guy, but those comments were somewhat telling of his mental approach at this stage. Perception is 9/10 of reality; the Sox need a guy who thinks he can succeed on the team that Ozzie wants to play this year.

mzh
02-13-2010, 10:54 AM
How do we know that dye hasn't recieved some decent offers? 4 million, 1 year, or something like that? I would bet he has. Just because you aren't hearing about it, and he hasn't signed anywhere yet, you really think he is a spring training invite? I think you are being very presumptuous. I wouldn't be surprised if he fetches more than damon when he does sign. I'd certainly rather have dye. From dye's comments it sounds like he just thinks he is worth more than his offers. He is probably right.

Well we know he turned down 1 year, 3.3 mil from the Cubs, but I hope he realizes he's not going to get that again.

Taliesinrk
02-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Based on Dye's comments two days ago about his scuffling due to the outfield platoon/rotation situation last year (whether legitimate or not), the 2010 Sox are probably not the best fit for him. It's probably not a fit here at all. Dye's a good guy, but those comments were somewhat telling of his mental approach at this stage. Perception is 9/10 of reality; the Sox need a guy who thinks he can succeed on the team that Ozzie wants to play this year.

I'm not disagreeing with you... just curious: wasn't Dye benched a fair amount toward the end of the season? Were his comments in reference to not playing at all, or having an OF/DH rotation? I think you're probably right, but I'm asking because as of now, if Damon falls through, I'd really hope the Sox at least consider Dye.

Also, I haven't seen the Dye comments/article, so I have no idea how things were said.

Frater Perdurabo
02-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Trib reports that Frank Thomas says Dye may retire if he doesn't get an acceptable offer (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/big-hurt-dye-hurting-mulling-retirement.html).

If Dye does retire, does he deserve to have his #23 retired by the Sox?

EDIT: Here is the original link (http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer).

DonnieDarko
02-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Trib reports that Frank Thomas says Dye may retire if he doesn't get an acceptable offer (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/big-hurt-dye-hurting-mulling-retirement.html).

No.

Brian26
02-13-2010, 11:33 PM

Robin Ventura wore #23 a lot longer than Dye did.

DirtySox
02-13-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you... just curious: wasn't Dye benched a fair amount toward the end of the season? Were his comments in reference to not playing at all, or having an OF/DH rotation? I think you're probably right, but I'm asking because as of now, if Damon falls through, I'd really hope the Sox at least consider Dye.

Also, I haven't seen the Dye comments/article, so I have no idea how things were said.

Read this (http://soxmachine.com/soxmachine/2010/02/11/jermaine-lies/). Most of Jermaine's excuses are bunk.

Frater Perdurabo
02-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Robin Ventura wore #23 a lot longer than Dye did.

While both Ventura and Dye each may not individually merit having the number retired, if the decision were mine I might retire it to honor both of them.

Brian26
02-13-2010, 11:40 PM
EDIT: Here is the original link (http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer).

Frank's memory is playing tricks on him about how long he played with Sosa. Frank came up on Aug. 1 1990. Sosa was traded after the '91 season. I don't see where he's getting 3.5 years from.

Sam Spade
02-14-2010, 02:01 AM
While both Ventura and Dye each may not individually merit having the number retired, if the decision were mine I might retire it to honor both of them.

I think you just provided an excellent reason why it shouldn't be retired for either of them.

johnnyg83
02-14-2010, 02:26 AM

IMHO, they both needed 4 or 5 more years of productive White Sox time to deserve it.

Nellie_Fox
02-14-2010, 02:56 AM
IMHO, they both needed 4 or 5 more years of productive White Sox time to deserve it.
I think a player should be HOF or near HOF-caliber to deserve a number retired. Neither Ventura nor Dye qualify.

asindc
02-14-2010, 12:10 PM
I think a player should be HOF or near HOF-caliber to deserve a number retired. Neither Ventura nor Dye qualify.

I agree. I don't want the Sox retired number list to look as silly as the Boston Celtics'.

spawn
02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I agree with this.

stevemcstud
02-14-2010, 02:08 PM

I kind of agree with this. I think he should have to have a White Sox HOF career to qualify for this.

For example, Paulie won't make it to the HOF but I definitely agree that he should have his number retired from the SOX after he retires.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-14-2010, 02:22 PM
I kind of agree with this. I think he should have to have a White Sox HOF career to qualify for this.

For example, Paulie won't make it to the HOF but I definitely agree that he should have his number retired from the SOX after he retires.I think Buehrle should too...

soxinem1
02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Once Johnny Damon signs somewhere, I expect that Jermaine Dye will sign with one of the clubs that didn't get Damon soon thereafter. I know that the Sox want a lefty hitting DH but if the Tigers or Braves sign Damon and the Sox ultimately sign Dye to DH and occasionally play LF, that would be o.k., too.

That is really the best way to look at it, as once Damon is gone Dye will likely be signed by a team for quite a bit less than whatever Damon goes for.

You might even have to throw Branyan in that mix too.

I think a lot of scouts are down on JD. If the only solid offer he has recieved is $3 million from CHC to be a fourth OF, then he may see even less than that from anyone else.

But if KW and Ozzie turned down Thome, knowing they need a LH power stick more than anything, I would believe Branyan would have a better shot landing here than Dye is to returning.

Daver
02-14-2010, 03:43 PM

For example, Paulie won't make it to the HOF but I definitely agree that he should have his number retired from the SOX after he retires.

Why?

dickallen15
02-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Why?
So someday when the Sox have some guy that came from the same area as Konerko, it will be available for him to wear as a tribute to Paulie.

Sam Spade
02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
So someday when the Sox have some guy that came from the same area as Konerko, it will be available for him to wear as a tribute to Paulie.
lol.

soxinem1
02-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Frank's memory is playing tricks on him about how long he played with Sosa. Frank came up on Aug. 1 1990. Sosa was traded after the '91 season. I don't see where he's getting 3.5 years from.

Not only that, but Sosa spent a good chunk of time in AAA during the 1991 season.

Frank probably meant he met Sammy in 1989, when both of them joined the organization, and Sosa was traded to CHC in early 1992.

Maybe he was counting calendar years!!

Nellie_Fox
02-15-2010, 01:10 AM
...Paulie won't make it to the HOF but I definitely agree that he should have his number retired from the SOX after he retires.No, I see Paulie as in that group that will have had a very nice career, but not a "retired-number" career. He's not a near HOF candidate.

sunofgold
02-17-2010, 01:46 AM
I would be surprised if Dye retired. Right now, he could easily get a position on a team as a bench player (at the minimum). And, if we waits some more, there might be a starter's spot on team (injury or bad performance)

ewokpelts
02-17-2010, 10:44 AM
No, I see Paulie as in that group that will have had a very nice career, but not a "retired-number" career. He's not a near HOF candidate.i disagree. while i'm not his biggest fan, he has produced quite a bit for the sox while here. and the whole" giving jerry the ball" trick wont be forgotten by many.

SephClone89
02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
No, I see Paulie as in that group that will have had a very nice career, but not a "retired-number" career. He's not a near HOF candidate.

This season he'll probably:
Pass Baines, Collins, Ozzie, Schalk, and Frank(!) in games played (#3)
Ozzie, Collins, Baines in ABs (#5)
Baines in PA (#5)
Minoso in runs (#5)
Baines in hits (#5)
Fox in total bases (#3)
Baines and MAYBE Fox in doubles (#4/3)
Minoso, Fox, Ventura in walks (#3)

If he hits 100 RBI (being very optimistic, obviously) this season then he'll tie Appling for #2.

Of course, we already know that he's #2 behind the big guy in homers and extra-base hits. He's a solid defensive first baseman, and was captain of the team when they won their first title in 87 years. Baines has been retired twice.

#14 is going up on that wall, period. (#56, too)

ewokpelts
02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
This season he'll probably:
Pass Baines, Collins, Ozzie, Schalk, and Frank(!) in games played (#3)
Ozzie, Collins, Baines in ABs (#5)
Baines in PA (#5)
Minoso in runs (#5)
Baines in hits (#5)
Fox in total bases (#3)
Baines and MAYBE Fox in doubles (#4/3)
Minoso, Fox, Venture in walks (#3)

If he hits 100 RBI (being very optimistic, obviously) this season then he'll tie Appling for #2.

Of course, we already know that he's #2 behind the big guy in homers and extra-base hits. He's a solid defensive first baseman, and was captain of the team when they won their first title in 87 years. Baines has been retired twice.

#14 is going up on that wall, period. (#56, too)i agree. his place in sox history is pretty big.
and let's be honest: at least 1-3 guys from the 2005 squad will have thier numbers retired/staues put up. not counting frank, i can easily see konerko, aj, and buehrle up there, and maybe dye(possibly co-retired with ventura).

and i fully expect ozzie up there eventually.

sox1970
02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
35-14-56-13

These are the next four numbers to be retired by the Sox.

The people that mention Ventura and/or Dye...are you kidding me?

ewokpelts
02-17-2010, 03:56 PM
35-14-56-13

These are the next four numbers to be retired by the Sox.

The people that mention Ventura and/or Dye...are you kidding me?ventura, like thomas and guillen, is a members of the sox all century team, and was the best 3b the sox had over the last 40 years or so(aside from ron santo, of course) .