PDA

View Full Version : Orber Moreno

tm1119
02-11-2010, 01:53 PM
So we signed this guy? Guess you can never have too many possible bullpen arms. I cant find an article in English, but its on mlbtraderumors.com.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/morenor01.shtml

Moses_Scurry
02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
This is the first instance in my 36 years of life that I have heard of a person with the first name "Orber".

Hopefully he'll make his name proud so other Orbers may step forward.

jabrch
02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I wonder if he is related to Omar Moreno?

krohnjw
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Spanish article here: http://www.eluniversal.com/2010/02/11/beigl_art_orber-moreno-consigu_1758890.shtml

FTA:
A 32 yr old right hander. He's coming back to MLB after 3 years (looks like he's bounced around a bit without success).

Plans are for him to join the team in Triple A but he'll have his opportunity in Spring Training to throw some games with the "Big club" and show his stuff. The last time he pitched at the major league level was with the Mets in '04. Ozzie told this guy that he believes in him and is going to give him a shot.

He was 4-0 with a 2.64 ERA in 30 innings last year. He says he's a more mature, experienced pitcher than he was before and thinks he's prepared to makes the most of this opportunity.

No comments regarding his "stuff" in the article and his numbers outside of his final year with the mets aren't really awe inspiring (2004 33 Games, 34.2 IP, 3.38 ERA, 11 BB 29 K 17 H). This looks like a likely cheap signing with the hopes of maybe some bullpen depth if someone goes down, or maybe just filling out the AAA rotation.

Edit: Looks like he pitched pretty regularly through July with the Mets in 04 and got shut down for shoulder issues in August. Went through shoulder surgery and was released by the Mets at the end of 04. Was signed by St. Louis in 06 and then released.

BNLSox
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
This is the first instance in my 36 years of life that I have heard of a person with the first name "Orber".

Hopefully he'll make his name proud so other Orbers may step forward.

You got me in trouble at work for laughing out loud. But damn, I love this comment. I know its early in 2010, but POTY in my opinion.

DumpJerry
02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Hmmm......another former Royal Pitcher......