PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye Speaks...

spawn
02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
...and says the crowded outfield prolonged his slump.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Rosenthal-Why-is-Jermaine-Dye-not-signed-021010

I'm a big fan of JD and his time here...but c'mon. It seems to me he pouted, just like he did when the trade rumors were swirling, and THAT prolonged his slump. I don't recall him losing significant playing time once Rios arrived.

DirtySox
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't like how he comes across in that interview.

Many of those statements in regards to playing time are blatantly false.

Corlose 15
02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Dye's at bats didn't really decrease until September, after more than a month of struggling at the plate.

I'd be ok with the Sox bringing Dye back for a small amount of money to play 1B/DH, and occaisionally the outfield but his attitude about the whole process doesn't seem so encouraging.

hi im skot
02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't like how he comes across in that interview.

Many of those statements in regards to playing time are blatantly false.

Yup.

Sox Machine (http://soxmachine.com/soxmachine/2010/02/11/jermaine-lies/) covers this pretty nicely.

kobo
02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
He commented that rotating between outfield and DH helped prolong the slump. :scratch: How could that be true? You'd think if he was the DH then all he would need to focus on would be hitting the baseball. And as stated, his playing time didn't start to decrease until September, and I don't think anyone faults Ozzie for that. Rios wasn't here until Aug. 10, Dye was 3-4 weeks into his slump by that time. What's his excuse for his slump in the 2nd half of 08?

GoGoCrede
02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
He's trying hard to market himself to get a job, even going so far as playing 1st base, which I can understand. However, I don't like how he's going about it. His comments are false and rather disappointing. :(:

russ99
02-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I see this as a similar to what happened in 2007.

When Jermaine has any distraction involving his contract, his future or his role on the team his numbers go downhill.

Which makes it more understandable why teams aren't lining up for his services.

Domeshot17
02-11-2010, 02:26 PM
I am not going to jump on Dye for this, it might be true. JD isn't blaming the rotation on the slump but the inability to get out of it. I have been on both ends of it. Baseball players like consistency, players often become very comfortable hitting in a certain spot, playing a certain position everyday, routine is important. They also know there is only 1 way to break a slump, hit out of it. Its all about feeling comfortable.

Dye could be right, that with the rotation he never was able to get in his groove and feel comfortable. Doesn't mean it won't work for someone else, but there is a reason most teams don't rotate guys all over the place like a high school baseball team.

For 4 years Dye has been our most consistent and best hitter. Hes been an All Star, World Series MVP and in 2006 had Buehrle and Contreras not **** the bed completely, he would have won the MVP award in a landslide.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Yup.

Sox Machine (http://soxmachine.com/soxmachine/2010/02/11/jermaine-lies/) covers this pretty nicely.

Wow - nice link.

It sucks that JD feels that way, but the #'s speak for themselves.

happydude
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I don't get the angst over his comments. All he said, to paraphrase, was that the slump he was already in may have been exacerbated by a decrease in playing time.

On the one hand, he's searching for an explanation as to why he never emerged from what he stated earlier was the longest slump of his career. On the other, as Gogocrede implied, he's attempting to assure other teams that his performance in the second half of last season may have been related to reasons other than a permanent diminishment in ability.

If he, in fact, is simply not very good anymore than he will, most likely, be the last to realize it. What is it that he should have said? "I was once pretty good but now I most likely stink....now give me 2 years at 14 million?"

DirtySox
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Dye could be right, that with the rotation he never was able to get in his groove and feel comfortable. Doesn't mean it won't work for someone else, but there is a reason most teams don't rotate guys all over the place like a high school baseball team.

What rotation?

From Aug. 10 (Rios Day) to Sept. 27, Dye started 36 out of 43 possible games. The only time he missed consecutive games was a three-game stretch from Sept. 3-5 — and that was because he had a stiff back. And on top of this… Dye hardly rotated! Dye started 60 games in the second half. Guess how many times he DH’ed? Five.

Craig Grebeck
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I feel bad for JD. He was pretty indignant about being anything but a full-time outfielder at the outset, and that probably diminished his value to some degree. Too bad. He's had a great career, and coming back from injuries the way he has is nothing short of remarkable.

Still think he's a stand-up guy. At this point, while I think those wires are cut, I'd welcome him back to DH. Yeah, a left-handed hitter would be preferable. But give me a guy that can hit.

asindc
02-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I feel bad for JD. He was pretty indignant about being anything but a full-time outfielder at the outset, and that probably diminished his value to some degree. Too bad. He's had a great career, and coming back from injuries the way he has is nothing short of remarkable.

Still think he's a stand-up guy. At this point, while I think those wires are cut, I'd welcome him back to DH. Yeah, a left-handed hitter would be preferable. But give me a guy that can hit.

I agree. While I would still rather have Damon, I would not mind at all seeing Dye coming back as a DH with the occasional OF start.

LITTLE NELL
02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Its a shame things did not work out with JD but I for one did want to see him in RF another year. Sometimes when he ran after a ball it looked like it was in slo-motion.
I thank him for the 5 years he gave us but like Thome its time to move on.

35th and Shields
02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Surprising he would put down his own team.

If anyone, I would've thought the Sox would be the most likely destination for 2010 at this point.

mzh
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/four-reasons-teams-are-staying-away-from-jermaine-dye

Mostly stuff we already know, but while we're on that specific topic I thought I'd post this

oeo
02-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I am not going to jump on Dye for this, it might be true. JD isn't blaming the rotation on the slump but the inability to get out of it. I have been on both ends of it. Baseball players like consistency, players often become very comfortable hitting in a certain spot, playing a certain position everyday, routine is important. They also know there is only 1 way to break a slump, hit out of it. Its all about feeling comfortable.

It doesn't surprise me that you would go out of your way for a subtle rip at Ozzie even though none of it is true. There wasn't a "rotation". He's full of ****, that's why people are 'jumping on him.' I thought Dye was bigger than this, but apparently he's not and that's pretty disappointing.

Mohoney
02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I see this as a similar to what happened in 2007.

When Jermaine has any distraction involving his contract, his future or his role on the team his numbers go downhill.

Which makes it more understandable why teams aren't lining up for his services.

It's strange. Usually it's the other way around, where guys playing in the last year of a contract do better than their career norms.

Chez
02-11-2010, 04:41 PM
To me, JD is entitled to the benefit of the doubt. For 4 and a half years they guy was the definition of "solid." Nothing that comes out now in the media will change that.

DSpivack
02-11-2010, 04:41 PM
It doesn't surprise me that you would go out of your way for a subtle rip at Ozzie even though none of it is true. There wasn't a "rotation". He's full of ****, that's why people are 'jumping on him.' I thought Dye was bigger than this, but apparently he's not and that's pretty disappointing.

I think he's just trying to deflect blame for last year's performance away from himself. Makes sense when he's at the end of his career and is trying to get a deal from some team. You might know your skills are diminishing, but you don't admit that on an open market.

spawn
02-11-2010, 04:43 PM

For 4 years Dye has been our most consistent and best hitter. Hes been an All Star, World Series MVP and in 2006 had Buehrle and Contreras not **** the bed completely, he would have won the MVP award in a landslide.
Then please explain why JD hit better after the Sox acqured Rios than he did from the All-Star break until the acquisition.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I just want to be treated fairly, he said. I know the market is down. But there are still guys getting money that I feel Im better than." I thought Dye was classy? :whiner:

guillen4life13
02-11-2010, 05:15 PM
I just want to be treated fairly, he said. I know the market is down. But there are still guys getting money that I feel Im better than." I thought Dye was classy? :whiner:

I don't know how this isn't classy. He didn't call anyone out by name. Rosenthal did. That would have been unbecoming of him. And I'm willing to give JD the benefit of doubt after the past 5 seasons of showing the utmost class, as well as the circumstances in which he actually signed with the Sox.

I think it's perfectly okay for him to say everything he said here. Remember, he is trying to find a job, and he is intimate with the past season and how the dynamics affected him.

Is he whining a little? Yes. But if I were in his position, I'd probably feel the exact same way.

hawkjt
02-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes, for me, Jermaine has earned the benefit of the doubt. He ,like anyone, is trying to sell himself for a new job...human nature is going to kick in and he will try to excuse his rough second half....I do not blame him either.
I do not really want him back, but I wish him well.

It's Dankerific
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
JD is one of the classiest men in sports. If he says it, I'm going to believe him over some of the other people in the media and the front office.

Noneck
02-12-2010, 12:05 AM
JD is one of the classiest men in sports. If he says it, I'm going to believe him over some of the other people in the media and the front office.

I think he is a classy guy also but desperate times call for desperate measures. Spring training is days away and he is without a job. I believe what he said is not true, not because I know enough to see that but because no other team has signed him yet.

khan
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
We all say things we wish we hadn't; I'm guessing that some of these things JD said in the article would fall into this category.

Having said this, once Boras manipulates the stupid tiggers into overpaying for Damon, I for one would welcome JD back, and cut Andruw Jones loose. [EDIT] [That is, at a reasonable price with incentives.]

slavko
02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Even proud and dignified men can do some finger pointing when things aren't going their way. Thanks for your services, thanks for having the kind of a season that made the club's decision easy.

sox1970
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Dye told Frank he's considering retirement. Might be a better option than spending 6 months in Cleveland.

http://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/9022752546

#1swisher
02-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Don't retire JD!

GoGoCrede
02-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Dye told Frank he's considering retirement. Might be a better option than spending 6 months in Cleveland.

I doubt it. He's still got a lot to give, IMO.

Slappy
02-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I read the article, and I'm not really getting any hint of Jermaine putting down the Sox or blaming them for his slump. What he said has truth to it. The OF situation was a little crowded and he said so. I don't think he's blaming anyone, though-just stating facts. Felt like I was reading a different article or something there....

spawn
02-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I read the article, and I'm not really getting any hint of Jermaine putting down the Sox or blaming them for his slump. What he said has truth to it. The OF situation was a little crowded and he said so. I don't think he's blaming anyone, though-just stating facts. Felt like I was reading a different article or something there....
From Sox Machine (http://soxmachine.com/soxmachine/2010/02/11/jermaine-lies/):

From Aug. 10 (Rios Day) to Sept. 27, Dye started 36 out of 43 possible games. The only time he missed consecutive games was a three-game stretch from Sept. 3-5 and that was because he had a stiff back.

He shouldn't have been affected. He never rotated OF positions. When he wasn't playing the field, he played RF exclusively. AND he hit better after Rios was acquired than from the All-Star break until the acquisition. I wonder if the people willing to accept this as an excuse for JD slumping the second half of the season are going to cut Rios some slack for his lack of offense. He was rotating between CF, RF, and DH, so he'd have mroe of a reason for using that as an excuse than JD.

Thome_Fan
02-12-2010, 05:56 PM

Who are you and what have you done with Craig Grebeck?

balke
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
I think Dye was pouting last year when they acquired Rios. That I believe contributed to his slump.

He's obviously got what it takes still to be a good addition to any team. I think he shot himself in the foot when he slumped for like his third full half season in 4 years.

Dye would be welcome back if anyone gets injured on the Sox. Hopefully he just takes time off and joins a team midseason - perhaps avoiding his half season slump trend by playing one good half season.