PDA

View Full Version : The Royals are desperate-Farnsworth converting to Starter

thedudeabides
02-11-2010, 09:44 AM
The Farns is going into spring training with an opportunity to compete for a starting job. I don't see this ending well.

I just hope the experiment lasts long enough for him to get a couple of starts against the Sox.

MLB.COM (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100210&content_id=8052790&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb)

chisox616
02-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Wasn't he kind of decent against us last year? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Either way this is seriously laughable, I gotta tell a friend of mine who's a Royals fan what he thinks of this.

Boondock Saint
02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Hell. Yes.

g0g0
02-11-2010, 10:03 AM

Either way this is seriously laughable, I gotta tell a friend of mine who's a Royals fan what he thinks of this.

You know a Royals fan? I thought they were mythical creatures like unicorns. :tongue:

thedudeabides
02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
You know a Royals fan? I thought they were mythical creatures like unicorns. :tongue:

:rolling:

I know a couple I work with. I feel bad for them as they are huge baseball fans, but it's hard. Take what Bears fans feel about the organization right now, and times it by ten. That is every year as a Royal fan. I won't even get into what they feel about their manager.

Vestigio
02-11-2010, 10:24 AM

I remember on Opening Day last season where blew a save allowing a couple of runs

mzh
02-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I remember on Opening Day last season where blew a save allowing a couple of runs

Yep- 3 run homer to Thome in the 8th, won the game for us

jabrch
02-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't see this ending well.

I see it working out very well...for KC's opponents.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I bet Konerko likes the sound of this.

TDog
02-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Of course, Farnsworth was a starter in the Cubs system from Rockford to Iowa. He probably never pitched in relief from Class A to his debut with the Cubs as a hot young prospect with a blazing fastball, where he was a starter. I believe he was sent down as a starter the next year and honed his relief skills in Iowa before coming back to work out of the bullpen.

Not that I think it would be a good idea to use Farnsworth as a starter. When he came up to the Cubs about a decade ago, he was much easier to hit the second time though the lineup and even easier the third time. It may have been a combination of living too much on a straight fastball that hitters adjusted to and tiring in the middle innings to make his fastball easier to catch up to. That's the way I remember the scouting report on Farnsworth as a starter, anyway.

SI1020
02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Maybe he should have pursued a career in MMA.

DumpJerry
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't remember last year, but whenever he came in from the bullpen in a game for the Yankees against us, we got five runs so quickly, I think we scored them while he was taking his warm-up tosses.

Chez
02-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Good move for the Royals. Putting Farnworth in the rotation means he sucks only one out of every 5 days rather than 3 or 4 days out of 5.

oeo
02-11-2010, 05:58 PM
I bet Konerko likes the sound of this.

The Sox like the sound of this. They absolutely kill Farnsworth.

DumpJerry
02-11-2010, 07:17 PM
I guess they read the email I sent them (under the name "George Brett=God") which suggested that the give that Greinke kid more rest between starts to keep him "effective" and use Farnsworth more often.

gobears1987
02-11-2010, 07:43 PM
The Royals were desperate when they became the cast-offs of the 2009 White Sox. Making Farnsworth a starter is just a further step down into the abyss.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-11-2010, 08:09 PM
The Royals were desperate when they became the cast-offs of the 2009 White Sox. Making Farnsworth a starter is just a further step down into the abyss.Pods, Getz, and... nvm... But yah, those two guys can have good seasons. And I guess Fields can squeak out another 2007 if he gets full playing time.