PDA

View Full Version : What will the batting order look like this year?

steely712
02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I was trying to figure out what the batting order will be like for this year. What do you think?

1)Pierre
2)Beckham/Pierzynski
3)Quentin
4)Paulie
5)Pierzynski/Beckham
6)Ramirez
7)Rios
8)Jones/Kotsay
9)Teahan

I don't know, but I feel like this order can be switched around a whole bunch of ways depending on who is playing well.

Rohan
02-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I might switch Rios and Teahen, make Rios a 9th lead off hitter.

JermaineDye05
02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
I actually think Rios will wind up batting in the 3 hole before the season's end. Not because Ozzie is crazy but because he actually starts hitting like he belongs there.

kittle42
02-10-2010, 02:08 PM
I think they may try to force Teahen into the 2-spot, probably unwisely.

tm1119
02-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I would go:

1. Pierre
2. Beckham
3. PK
4. Quentin
5. AJ
6. Rios
7. Ramirez
8. Andruw/Kotsay (hopefully not)
9. Teahen

voodoochile
02-10-2010, 02:41 PM
I think Beckham will eventually be batting third for most of his career. I wouldn't be shocked if either Rios or Ramirez ends up in the two hole with Beckham batting third. I don't know if it starts the season that way, but I won't be surprised if by the end of the year we see something like...

Pierre
TCM/Rios
Beckham
TCQ
PK
AJ
Jones
Rios/TCM
Teahen

If it's Rios batting second then I'd expect TCM to actually bat 9th to put some speed at the bottom of the lineup.

The only issue I see is the clustering of same side hitters. Ozzie likes to split guys up...

Chez
02-10-2010, 02:44 PM
1. Pierre
2. Damon
3. TCQ
4. Konerko
5. A.J.
6. Beckham
7. Rios
8. Teahen
9. Ramierez

I can dream, can't I?

SoxSpeed22
02-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Let's go with
Pierre
Ramirez
Beckham
Quentin
Konerko
Pierzynski
Rios
Kotsay
Teahen

sox1970
02-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Pierre
Beckham
Quentin
Konerko
Pierzynski
Rios
Jones
Teahen
Ramirez

I'm not nuts about Pierzynski batting 5th, but they can move guys around based on who's hot. I could see Ramirez batting second once he proves he can hit before May 15th. I don't want Beckham batting any lower than 6th.

NLaloosh
02-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I like it this way:

Pierre
Rios
Beckham
Quentin
Teahen
Konerko
A.J.
Jones
Ramirez

TDog
02-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I think Beckham will eventually be batting third for most of his career. I wouldn't be shocked if either Rios or Ramirez ends up in the two hole with Beckham batting third. I don't know if it starts the season that way, but I won't be surprised if by the end of the year we see something like...

Pierre
TCM/Rios
Beckham
TCQ
PK
AJ
Jones
Rios/TCM
Teahen

If it's Rios batting second then I'd expect TCM to actually bat 9th to put some speed at the bottom of the lineup.

The only issue I see is the clustering of same side hitters. Ozzie likes to split guys up...

This makes more sense than putting Beckham second because he finished last season batting second. Ramirez is better suited to hit behind Pierre. When Vizquel starts in place of Ramirez at short, I would expect him to bat second because Vizquel is the best bunter on the team and Guillen likes to bunt. Beckham wasn't at all a good bunter last year. Ramirez was better, but he wasn't great either.

I wouldn't bat Vizquel second if I were making up the lineup. I don't like bunting to move runners over in general. The reason I don't think Rios will be batting second is because Guillen makes up the damn lineup. Rios only has two sacrifice bunts in his career. It is true, though, that one of them came in a White Sox uniform.

LoveYourSuit
02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Man, I had gone two weeks without thinking of the middle of our order and this thread came up.

I am very scared looking at the middle of the order.

kittle42
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I like it this way:

Pierre
Rios
Beckham
Quentin
Teahen
Konerko
A.J.
Jones
Ramirez

OK, except Mark Teahen only belongs 5th in the Royals lineup.

spawn
02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
OK, except Mark Teahen only belongs 5th in the Royals lineup.
Agreed. Swap Konerko and Teahen, and it's the best with wht they're working with.

HarryChappas
02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
We are in trouble if TCM bats second. He can't bunt or be disciplined enough to hit to the right side. I wanted another power hitter, but if thats not the case at least go and get Damon. Damon/Pierre 1 or 2 either way would be a good top of the order hitting in front of GB.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm pretty positive the plan for Beckham was that he wasn't going to be in the 2 spot anymore... but I guess it's fun to keep putting him there. :rolleyes:
Isn't Rios a 2 spot type hitter? I'd rather have Rios there, then waste Beckham's talent in the 2-hole.

1) Pierre - speed
2) Rios/Alexei - mix
3) TCQ - power
4) Konerko - power
5) Beckham - good mix
6) Alexei/Rios - mix
7) AJ - power? idk
8) Jones/Kotsay - some power
9) Teahen - mix

3,4,5 can be flipped around, depending on who starts off better. But I see it opening like this if Quentin shows he's health in ST. A lot of you doubt this teams offense, but it blends together real smoothly. We have a perfect leadoff hitter (w/o the .500 OBP), good 2-type hitter in either player, and a 3,4,5 that can get RBIs like the best of 'em... Our lineup falls off with two good players, questions w/ DH, then a player who can have a beakout season, or just be a good 9th hitter.

There will be speed mixed up everywhere in this lineup, and one three spots that can clog the bases... and their far enough apart to not turn a 3 run inning to a 1 run inning. I'm excited for this offense, even though we aren't going to be a 300HR team. We aren't the best in the league, but I think we are better than last year.

TDog
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
We are in trouble if TCM bats second. He can't bunt or be disciplined enough to hit to the right side. I wanted another power hitter, but if thats not the case at least go and get Damon. Damon/Pierre 1 or 2 either way would be a good top of the order hitting in front of GB.

Last season, Ramirez was better at bunting and hitting to the right side with a runner on second with no one out than Beckham was.

FGarcia34
02-10-2010, 06:11 PM
This is how I would write the lineup at this very moment, I'm not quite sure how some of these battles are going to end up, I feel like the lineup is the next issue to tackle, and luckily there are plenty of games to guage who can exactly hit where.

vs. Right Handed Pitching
LF - Juan Pierre
2B - Gordon Beckham
C - AJ Pierzynski
LF - Carlos Quentin
CF - Alex Rios
1B - Paul Konerko
3B - Mark Teahen
DH - Mark Kotsay
SS - Alexei Ramirez

vs. Left Handed Pitching
LF - Juan Pierre
2B - Gordon Beckham
CF - Alex Rios
LF - Carlos Quentin
1B - Paul Konerko
SS - Alexei Ramirez
C - AJ Pierzynski
3B - Mark Teahen
DH - Andruw Jones/Omar Vizquel

The Immigrant
02-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Yikes, it could be a long year with at least one of Kotsay and Jones in the everyday lineup. Blech.

How about some guesses for the ol' Sunday getaway day lineup? Try working Vizquel, Nix and Castro into the mix, with Kotsay at 1B.

steely712
02-11-2010, 08:51 AM
What about AJ in the 2 hole? He does not have a lot of speed, but is pretty good at hitting the ball both ways and moving runners along, but when we were really succesful in 05, it's not like Tadahito was a speed burner. I think AJ would really fit in that role well, unless Vizquel is playing, then I would put him there.

HBaines03
02-11-2010, 09:48 AM
1. Pierre
2. Rios/A. Ramirez
3. Quentin
4. Konerko
5. Beckham
6. A. Jones (8/9. Kotsay - with others moving up)
7. Teahan
8. Rios/A. Ramirez
9. Pierzynski

Rios and Ramirez I think will be the best at the 2 spot due to their speed and Beckham will be used at the 3/5 hole for his run production. If Quentin can regain his 2008 form this makes things better for Rios/Ramirez in the 2 hole as they should see more fastballs. I think Teahan has a very good year (.280+ 20HR 75 rbi). I think Teahan likes this ball park, he isn't a main focal point in the offense and he has a team to play for that can go somewhere. I think this team can flip flop alot, and will, to find that combination that works, but ultimately is tied to the performance of Rios and Quentin. They are the wildcards in my opinion. Having speed at the top of the order to disrupt and give good pitches to Quentin/Konerko/Beckham will be huge. I like the mix of youth/veterans & attitude on this team. There is a good bunch of players that are hungry or have something to prove. I think it will be a fun year........

russ99
02-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Ozzie's quoted as putting Rios in the 2 spot to start so:

1. Pierre - LF
2. Rios - CF
3. Beckham - 2B (will see better pitches ahead of TCQ)
4. Quentin - RF/DH
5. Konerko - 1B
6. Teahen - 3B
7. Pierzynski - C
8. Jones/Kotsay DH/RF
9. Ramirez - SS (added speed at the bottom of the order, usual April slump won't affect the rest of the lineup)

mzh
02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
What about AJ in the 2 hole? He does not have a lot of speed, but is pretty good at hitting the ball both ways and moving runners along, but when we were really succesful in 05, it's not like Tadahito was a speed burner. I think AJ would really fit in that role well, unless Vizquel is playing, then I would put him there.
I wouldn't rule that out either, we played most of 08 with AJ in the 2 hole. It might be more of an issue of having our 2-4 hitters once again being all basecloggers though.

voodoochile
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Ozzie's quoted as putting Rios in the 2 spot to start so:

1. Pierre - LF
2. Rios - CF
3. Beckham - 2B (will see better pitches ahead of TCQ)
4. Quentin - RF/DH
5. Konerko - 1B
6. Teahen - 3B
7. Pierzynski - C
8. Jones/Kotsay DH/RF
9. Ramirez - SS (added speed at the bottom of the order, usual April slump won't affect the rest of the lineup)

I think you are more likely to see 6/7/8 go AJ/Jones/Teahen to break up the RH/LH batters. I also really like Jones' power potential in the 7 slot.

russ99
02-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I think you are more likely to see 6/7/8 go AJ/Jones/Teahen to break up the RH/LH batters. I also really like Jones' power potential in the 7 slot.

Good point, but I have Teahen 6th since he has the potential to drive in lots of runs.

I put Jones 8th since he still has to show something this spring before we can believe he'll have a real impact.

Save McCuddy's
02-11-2010, 10:11 PM
How I'd like to see it more often than not.

1. Pierre LF
2. Beckham 2B
3. Quentin RF
4. Paulie 1B
5. AJ C
6. Rios CF
7. Teahen 3B
8. Nix DH
9. Ramirez SS

Sunday's:

1. Pierre LF
2. Kotsay 1B
3. Beckham 2B
4. Quentin DH
5. Teahen 3B
6. Rios CF
7. Jones RF
8. Castro C
9. Vizquell SS

voodoochile
02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Sunday's:

1. Pierre LF
2. Kotsay 1B
3. Beckham 2B
4. Quentin DH
5. Teahen 3B
6. Rios CF
7. Jones RF
8. Castro C
9. Vizquell SS

I think one of the main points behind having a rotating DH is that barring injury neither TCQ nor PK ever needs to be absent from the lineup. Yeah, it would be a bit of a shock for them to both play 162 games, but I wouldn't be surprised if they both hit 158 or more. With them able to be a DH a few times a week each, there's not a lot of reason for them to not play at all.

sunofgold
02-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I thought that I would love him in the 2nd spot and then I checked his numbers. ... .248 AVG, .328 OBP. Hopefully, in the future, he will be a guy who can bat second b/c his should bat for high average/high OBP.

Probably 6th or 7th would be the best spot for him. Less pressure and more opportunities to drive in runs.

I actually think Alexei should be our #2 hitter. At least, given a chance. Last year, while batting 2nd, he hit .281 with OBP of .343.

Thus:

Pierre
Alexei
Quentin (aka 2008)
Konerko
Rios
DH du jour or Beckham
Beckham or DH du jour
AJ
Teahen

Probably 5-8 subject to rotation. Teahen definitely should be our new Juan Uribe in the batting order. Be a dangerous 9th hitter. That looks like a decent/average lineup to me if everybody stays healthy and Rios comes back to norm. Potential to be above average depending what we get out of DH spot and Teahen.

TheVulture
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I like the idea of a lineup with Ramirez, Teahen and Rios at the bottom of the order.

Pierre
Beckham
Quentin
Konerko
AJ
Jones
Ramirez/Rios
Teahen
Rios/Ramirez

sox1970
02-12-2010, 01:24 PM
I like the idea of a lineup with Ramirez, Teahen and Rios at the bottom of the order.

Pierre
Beckham
Quentin
Konerko
AJ
Jones
Ramirez/Rios
Teahen
Rios/Ramirez

I can't be a fan of a team with a 9-hole hitter making a 60 million over the next five years. Rios will probably bat no lower than 6 in the lineup.

soxfandy
02-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I would really like to see the Sox pick up damon. I think it would move people into better spots in the order. With a damon pickup we have alot of options for spots 3-9 with none of them really being all that weak.

Pierre-LF
Damon-DH
Beckham-2B (u figure he would have alot of rbi opp. and he is probabaly our best hitter)
Quentin-RF (u know he will hit for power, hopefully the avg. gets back up there)
Paulie-1B
AJ-C
Rios-CF
Teahen-3B
TCM-SS

I would love to see rios and teahen batting 7 and 8. Put them in those spots and maybe they will produce. With this lineup I see small ball coming back to form. Rios and Alexei with speed at the bottom with situational hitters at the top. With this lineup I could see Beckham and TCQ putting up some big numbers.

sunofgold
02-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I would prefer that Rios doesn't bat in the Uribespot of the lineup. That would mean that he is really struggling. I like to the Tea Hen in the Uribespot.

Yeah, we have invested a lot in Rios. I don't think that you can bat him lower than 7th. Guillen already said that Beckham will be batting lower in the order. Has to be somewhere around 5th through 7th.

JohnTucker0814
02-12-2010, 08:25 PM
In my MLB 10 The Show on PS3, my line-up will be the following:

1. Pierre LF
2. Rios CF
3. Beckham 2B
4. Quentin RF
5. Konerko 1B
6. Ramirez SS
7. Pierzynski C
8. Jones DH
9. Teahen 3B

Don't know if it plays well in real life, but I think that is the line-up that puts my RBI guys in the best position to get RBI's... which is kinda the point of the offense???

guillen4life13
02-13-2010, 12:18 PM
To start the season (against RHP):

LF Pierre (LH)
CF Rios (RH)
RF Quentin (RH)
1B Konerko (RH)
C Pierzynski (LH)
2B Beckham (RH)
DH Kotsay (LH)
3B Teahen (LH)
SS Ramirez (RH)

To start the season (against LHP):

LF Pierre (LH)
CF Rios (RH)
RF Quentin (RH)
1B Konerko (RH)
2B Beckham (RH)
C Pierzynski (LH)
SS Ramirez (RH)
DH Jones (RH)
3B Teahen (LH)

To finish the season (against RHP):

LF Pierre (LH)
SS Ramirez (RH) - slow starter will be hot toward the end of the season.
2B Beckham (RH)
RF Quentin (RH)
C Pierzynski (LH)
1B Konerko (RH)
CF Rios (RH)
DH Kotsay (LH)
3B Teahen (LH)

To finish the season (against LHP):

LF Pierre (LH)
CF Rios (RH)
2B Beckham (RH)
RF Quentin (RH)
1B Konerko (RH)
SS Ramirez (RH)
3B Teahen (LH)
DH Jones (RH)
C Castro/Pierzynski (LH)

This year, I think the Sox are going to pulverize lefties.

Save McCuddy's
02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
I think one of the main points behind having a rotating DH is that barring injury neither TCQ nor PK ever needs to be absent from the lineup. Yeah, it would be a bit of a shock for them to both play 162 games, but I wouldn't be surprised if they both hit 158 or more. With them able to be a DH a few times a week each, there's not a lot of reason for them to not play at all.

You must have missed the fact that I labelled that lineup "Sunday's". Maybe I should have tealed it.

voodoochile
02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
You must have missed the fact that I labelled that lineup "Sunday's". Maybe I should have tealed it.

I think even on Sunday both of them will be in the lineup. That was my only point.

Metalthrasher442
03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
1. Pierre LF
2. Beckham 2B
3. Rios CF
4. Quentin RF
5. Konerko 1B
6. Pierzynski C
7. Jones DH
8. Teahen 3B
9. Ramirez SS