PDA

View Full Version : Olney Blog on Peavy

JermaineDye05
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Link (http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/index)

It's an insider blog so I didn't get to read it, however there is a video associated with it that you can watch at the link without having to read the article. Olney certainly had some good things to say about Peavy.

BringBackBlkJack
02-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for posting the vid. Nice to hear that Cooper gets along with Peavy and that he's the type that motivates other players. Sounds like he's Ozzie's kind of guy... an anti-Garland in a sense.

Olney says he thinks the Sox have the 3rd best rotation in baseball, behind the Red Sox and Yankees.

The Sawx have Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Buchholz and Matsuzaka/Wakefield running for the 5th spot.
The Yankees have Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte, Vazquez, and Chamberlain/Mitre/Gaudin/Hughes/Aceves fighting for the 5th spot.

Putting either team up against Peavy/Buehrle/Floyd/Danks/Garcia, I can see the argument for putting the Red Sox over the White Sox, but I don't quite see how the Yankees are over the White Sox.

Is this another case of east coast bias, or am I the one who's biased?

oeo
02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for posting the vid. Nice to hear that Cooper gets along with Peavy and that he's the type that motivates other players. Sounds like he's Ozzie's kind of guy... an anti-Garland in a sense.

Olney says he thinks the Sox have the 3rd best rotation in baseball, behind the Red Sox and Yankees.

The Sawx have Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Buchholz and Matsuzaka/Wakefield running for the 5th spot.
The Yankees have Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte, Vazquez, and Chamberlain/Mitre/Gaudin/Hughes/Aceves fighting for the 5th spot.

Putting either team up against Peavy/Buehrle/Floyd/Danks/Garcia, I can see the argument for putting the Red Sox over the White Sox, but I don't quite see how the Yankees are over the White Sox.

You can make the argument for the Red Sox, but it's just not there for the Yankees. The Sox either match up or are better at every spot in the rotation except for perhaps #5, where both teams are quite questionable. He must be using Javy's 2009 instead of his norm in this because after CC it's a pretty mediocre rotation.

Madscout
02-10-2010, 04:44 PM

To be fair, the Yanks did win the WS, so Buster might be wearing WS glasses. The Yankees had to hit the crap out of the ball to make up for a very mediocre staff, so I think it is justifiable to not see what he sees.

But what interests me is that last year, by ERA, who were the best 2 staffs in the AL? Not the Red Sox, not the Yankees, not the Angels, not the Twins. It was the Mariners at no. 1 and the White Sox, yes, the White Sox who couldn't buy a good start from Contreras all around the All Star Break. The White Sox who were forced on multiple nights to go to DJ out of the pen.

If Freddy Garcia just goes 5+ a game, and the other guys repeat their performances last year, I think the pen improves itself, and we come out solid on the mound. That just leaves what we do with the glove and the bat, but I'll take solid pitching over bats and gloves any day.

To be fair, last year, the Red Sox had a lot of guys who **** the bed that have performed well in the Majors. I think Dice-K needs to learn how to attack the strike zone and not get into the amount of trouble he has in the past.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
To be fair, last year, the Red Sox had a lot of guys who **** the bed that have performed well in the Majors. I think Dice-K needs to learn how to attack the strike zone and not get into the amount of trouble he has in the past.

On MLB Hot Stove last night, there was a discussion about Dice-K; comments along the line of the Red Sawx were upset with his offseason conditioning going into and coming out of the WBC. This season, he's been in AZ where they'va had more "control" over his offseason activities.