PDA

View Full Version : Willy Taveras

stevemcstud
02-09-2010, 09:53 PM
If we don't end up getting a DH Willy Taveras would make a great backup outfielder. He would give us the speed off the bench we need, and can back up CF.

Just for the record before anyone blasts me, I am on the side of we need to sign a DH. But if that doesn't happen I think Vizquel and Kotsay have the infield covered with Jones and Taveras in the OF. We will have speed of the bench, some power, defensive replacements, and a guy with a great BA off LHP.

tm1119
02-09-2010, 10:16 PM
If we don't end up getting a DH Willy Taveras would make a great backup outfielder. He would give us the speed off the bench we need, and can back up CF.

Just for the record before anyone blasts me, I am on the side of we need to sign a DH. But if that doesn't happen I think Vizquel and Kotsay have the infield covered with Jones and Taveras in the OF. We will have speed of the bench, some power, defensive replacements, and a guy with a great BA off LHP.

Kotsay can only play 1B, which Jones can also do. That would leave only Vizquel to cover pretty much all of the backup IF positions. Not the best idea for a guy at his age. I'm not completely against the idea of 1 IF, but not if its for Willy Taveras. Hes just as bad of a hitter as Nix, and would be our 3rd best OF off of the bench.

guillen4life13
02-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Taveras brings no new dimension to the team. Pierre does a better job of what he does on offense, and Jones is as good as he is on defense.

A. Cavatica
02-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Taveras brings no new dimension to the team. Pierre does a better job of what he does on offense, and Jones is as good as he is on defense.

And Kotsay is a pretty good outfielder too. The team has five outfielders already.

JermaineDye05
02-09-2010, 11:09 PM
I could see him getting a ST invite but that's about it. I mean he was released as soon as he was traded.

DirtySox
02-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Nope.

PalehosePlanet
02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I'd rather have Jayson Nix than Taveras; he has some pop and can hit lefties.

Taveras is just fast, nothing else.

JUribe1989
02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I'd rather have Jayson Nix than Taveras; he has some pop and can hit lefties.

Taveras is just fast, nothing else.

EXCELLENT arm.

Foulke You
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
The name of Willy Taveras comes up almost every offseason. We already had Willy on our team once and his name was Jerry Owens. Willy is a one tool player and as others have pointed out, he brings nothing to the table that we don't already have covered with our current outfielders. Sorry stevemcstud, I'd pass.

Rohan
02-11-2010, 04:04 PM
The name of Willy Taveras comes up almost every offseason. We already had Willy on our team once and his name was Jerry Owens. Willy is a one tool player and as others have pointed out, he brings nothing to the table that we don't already have covered with our current outfielders. Sorry stevemcstud, I'd pass.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/09/30/26iZfwzW.jpg

"Man, who da hell is Jerry Owens? You forgot about me already, foo?"