PDA

View Full Version : Brewers to erect statue of Selig

pythons007
02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
What do you guys think about this?
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-brewers-seligstatue&prov=ap&type=lgns

Edit: Sorry mods, this needs to be moved. I thought I was in Talking Baseball....

hi im skot
02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
:lol:

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
The Sox have a Comiskey statue, although probably a little smaller scale. Pretty much the same thing.

Hitmen77
02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
They should make the statue based on this pose:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/2002/allstar/news/2002/07/09/allstar_game_ap/lg_selig_ap.jpg

eriqjaffe
02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Meh. As divisive a commissioner as he is, he is largely responsible for the Brewers being there.

Madvora
02-08-2010, 02:38 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/2002/allstar/news/2002/07/09/allstar_game_ap/lg_selig_ap.jpg
Nice. You could also replace those umpires with Sosa and McGwire and name the statue "Saving The Game"

ewokpelts
02-08-2010, 02:42 PM
At the end of the day, he saved baseball in Milwaukee. People forget he tried to buy the braves to prevent them from moving to atlanta.

Lip Man 1
02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Buddy boy also wanted to screw the Sox fans royally in 1975 too.

For those of you not around, Proud To Be Your Bud voted against Bill Veeck in his effort to get the club from bankrupt John Allyn and according to Rich Lindberg worked to have his bid torpedoed.

Why?

Simple...

Buddy-boy stole the Pilots from Seattle after one year in that city. The state of Washington, King County and the city of Seattle slapped a lawsuit on him and MLB faster than you could say "Jackie Robinson."

Buddy-boy wanted to weasel out from spending time in a court room, having his dirty-deeds exposed so he felt that if the Sox weren't sold to Bill Veeck, they could be moved to Seattle, "magically" ending the lawsuit and saving his ass.

The Sox then were supposedly going to get Charlie Finley and his "Triple A's" as a "replacement." (Some replacement)

**** him and the horse he road in on. I hope all the birds in Milwaukee **** on the statue.

Lip

TommyJohn
02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Nice. You could also replace those umpires with Sosa and McGwire and name the statue "Saving The Game"
Better yet, put Selig, Sosa and McGwire in the classic "Hear no evil, See no evil, speak no evil." Only for Sosa, you could change it to "speak no English."

Medford Bobby
02-08-2010, 05:16 PM

For those of you not around, Proud To Be Your Bud voted against Bill Veeck in his effort to get the club from bankrupt John Allyn and according to Rich Lindberg worked to have his bid torpedoed.

Why?

Simple...

Buddy-boy stole the Pilots from Seattle after one year in that city. The state of Washington, King County and the city of Seattle slapped a lawsuit on him and MLB faster than you could say "Jackie Robinson."

Buddy-boy wanted to weasel out from spending time in a court room, having his dirty-deeds exposed so he felt that if the Sox weren't sold to Bill Veeck, they could be moved to Seattle, "magically" ending the lawsuit and saving his ass.

The Sox then were supposedly going to get Charlie Finley and his "Triple A's" as a "replacement." (Some replacement)

**** him and the horse he road in on. I hope all the birds in Milwaukee **** on the statue.

Lip

It is amazing today that Veeck was able to secure enough financing to make the Sox deal happen.

Considering how bad MLB wanted to end the Seattle litigation, they gave Veeck's group amble room to make the Sox stay in Chicago and thus allow MLB to "make" money on Seattle by allowing expansion to happen for 1977.

http://a.espncdn.com/media/mlb/2001/0816/photo/a_veeck_i.jpg:gulp:

TommyJohn
02-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Why?

Simple...

LipIf Selig had his way, the White Sox would be the Milwaukee Brewers today. They were the team he wanted to buy and move to Milwaukee in 1969. If I recall correctly from "Who's On Third?" he was also one of the biggest foes of Veeck's opposed sale to DeBartolo. The guy is slime.

YES! Baseball has made bajillions of dollars under his watch, and blah. Bully for them.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Meh. As divisive a commissioner as he is, he is largely responsible for the Brewers being there.

The guy brought baseball back to Milwaukee, and managed to get the Miller Park legislation passed to insure that it would stay there. I strongly believe that if MP hadn't been built, the brewers would not exist today.

Hitmen77
02-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Better yet, put Selig, Sosa and McGwire in the classic "Hear no evil, See no evil, speak no evil." Only for Sosa, you could change it to "speak no English."

I like these ideas. :nod:

doublem23
02-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Baseball is better because of Bud Selig.

The game is in an era of unparalleled success, both financially for owners and the product on the field, and parity.

Daver
02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
When all is said and done you can't argue with simple facts, and the fact is Bud Selig is the most powerful commissioner that the game has ever had, no one else even comes remotely close.

ernie14
02-08-2010, 08:14 PM
The statue will do exactly what Selig did during the steroid era.

Just stand there.

Sosa and McGwire can kiss its behind.

Engraving: I love steroids :dtroll:

Brian26
02-08-2010, 08:38 PM

:rolling:

ChiSoxGirl
02-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Classic!!! Great find!

RedPinStripes
02-08-2010, 10:33 PM
When all is said and done you can't argue with simple facts, and the fact is Bud Selig is the most powerful commissioner that the game has ever had, no one else even comes remotely close.

He still makes me sick.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-08-2010, 10:54 PM
The statue will do exactly what Selig did during the steroid era.

Just stand there.

Sosa and McGwire can kiss its behind.

Engraving: I love steroids :dtroll:

To be fair, he tried to have a program in place in 1995, but the Union nixed it.

eriqjaffe
02-09-2010, 09:18 AM
When all is said and done you can't argue with simple facts, and the fact is Bud Selig is the most powerful commissioner that the game has ever had, no one else even comes remotely close.Not even Landis?

Daver
02-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Not even Landis?

Kennesaw Landis never had to deal with the MLBPA.

tick53
02-09-2010, 10:34 AM
I hope there's a lot of pidgeons in the area.

MARTINMVP
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM

:rolling:

ewokpelts
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Not even Landis?yeah, more than landis.

ewokpelts
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I hope there's a lot of pidgeons in the area.what's a pidgeon?

Nellie_Fox
02-09-2010, 03:22 PM
what's a pidgeon?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Walter_Pidgeon_in_The_Bad_and_the_Beautiful_traile r.jpg

slavko
02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
To be fair, he tried to have a program in place in 1995, but the Union nixed it.
Never be fair. This is the Internet.

Not even Landis?

Kennesaw Landis never had to deal with the MLBPA.
Which means he was more powerful since he didn't have to share power.

Spelling is optional. This is the Internet.

To be fair when we don't have to, he had a singleminded purpose to get a team for his city and if it meant screwing some other city...that's why Milwaukee is going to have a statue and no one else is. Plus he's a funny looking guy.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-10-2010, 03:05 AM
that's why Milwaukee is going to have a statue and no one else is. Plus he's a funny looking guy.

Man, it's gonna be one UGLY statue, that's for sure. I think it will look something like this.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/7d2153908d62c33ff7706426a1e81d9a6e70651.jpg

tick53
02-11-2010, 10:03 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Walter_Pidgeon_in_The_Bad_and_the_Beautiful_traile r.jpg

Wow! I DID spell it wrong. If I was spelling old Walt here, I would have been correct. I pride myself on my spelling ability.