PDA

View Full Version : Sox un-retire Aparicio's # for Vizquel.

Chrisaway
02-08-2010, 10:45 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100208&content_id=8036676&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
Anyone else think this is kinda dumb? Don't get me wrong, it's cool that he's paying tribute to Louie but isn't Vizquel like 60?

beasly213
02-08-2010, 10:48 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100208&content_id=8036676&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
Anyone else think this is kinda dumb? Don't get me wrong, it's cool that he's paying tribute to Louie but isn't Vizquel like 60?

AS long as Aparicio is OK with it that's no big deal to me.

spawn
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
That's how I look at it. I think it's a classy move.

october23sp
02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
If it was Aparicio's idea I don't mind but if it was Vizquel's idea I don't like it.

Chrisaway
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM

I don't know it just seems like a silly publicity stunt to me. I guess if we had Vizquel in his prime I'd be cool with it. If he makes a major impact on the team this year and we go on an extended playoff run I'll go ahead and disregard these grumblings.

spawn
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
If it was Aparicio's idea I don't mind but if it was Vizquel's idea I don't like it.
So you would have a problem if Vizquel asked Aparicio if he could honor him by wearing his number? Again, if Aparicio himself doesn't have a problem with it, why should we?

DirtySox
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
With Aparicio's blessing, I'm fine with it.

Rockabilly
02-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Classy move by Omar and the organzation.

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 11:00 AM
They might as well un-retire them all.

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Classy move by Omar and the organzation.
If he was in his prime, maybe. Now that he is 43, a back-up at best, this is just silly. There is no point retiring numbers if you are just going to unretire them.

spawn
:rolleyes:

october23sp
So you would have a problem if Vizquel asked Aparicio if he could honor him by wearing his number? Again, if Apparicio himself doesn't have a problem with it, why should we?

Because Aparicio can't really say no or he'll feel like a jerk.

SephClone89
02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Aparicio's face is coming off the wall then?

spawn
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
That's ridiculous. Of course he could say no without feeling like a jerk. It's not like Vizquel put him on the spot and asked him in front of cameras. If he would've said no, we wouldn't have heard anything about it. judging by what Aparicio said in the article, he's known Vizquel for a long time and has as much respect for Omar as Viquel does for Aparicio. It's one Venezuelan honoring the only Venezuelan in the HOF.

Boondock Saint
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm fine with with it, although I think it kind of cheapens the idea of retiring numbers for players. I mean, what do they do after Vizquel leaves? Re-retire the number? The entire point of retiring a number is so that a specific number will always be synonymous with that specific player.

spawn
02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm fine with with it, although I think it kind of cheapens the idea of retiring numbers for players. I mean, what do they do after Vizquel leaves? Re-retire the number? The entire point of retiring a number is so that a specific number will always be synonymous with that specific player.
If this happened all the time, I would agree with you. But really, how many times can you think of that this has happened?

Boondock Saint
02-08-2010, 11:20 AM
If this happened all the time, I would agree with you. But really, how many times can you think of that this has happened?

Well, I can't remember it ever happening, but my baseball memory doesn't go so far back. But there always has to be a first. And I don't like the door that this could be opening. Baseball has preserved its history better than any other sport, and a move like this can certainly be a blow to that.

pythons007
02-08-2010, 11:22 AM

Well then what about Jackie Robinson day where EVERYONE wears the number?

#1swisher
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Well, I can't remember it ever happening, but my baseball memory doesn't go so far back. But there always has to be a first. And I don't like the door that this could be opening. Baseball has preserved its history better than any other sport, and a move like this can certainly be a blow to that.

I'm in agreement with you. This sets a precedent, IMO retiring numbers now means nothing. Yes, I feel strongly about this.

Hitmen77
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I think Omar should have gotten Rudy Law's approval first.

Agreed.

But, I'm waiting to see how many fellow Sox fans here will be complaining about this.
:popcorn:

spawn
02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Well, for those of us who never saw Aparicio play, or for younger fans that have never heard of him, what better way to be remembered than people asking about the player that had his number un-retired?

spawn
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
That one I don't agree with.

BleacherBandit
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
The Sox haven't necessarily been stalwarts of retired numbers, anyways. They've been pretty lax with their standards for retirement. This doesn't change anything.

Hitmen77
02-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Aparicio's face is coming off the wall then?

They're going to replace his image with a rotating set of images of different once-great players who played with the Sox only when they were well past their primes.:tongue:

Boondock Saint
02-08-2010, 11:29 AM

It's a once a year event. Nobody is going to remember Albert Pujols or Roy Halladay as number 42.

Luis Aparicio is number 11 for the Sox, and I feel like it should stay that way.

Look, the way I see it, it's Luis' number, and he can do whatever he wants to do with it, he's earned that right. Hell, he can give it to Southpaw for making him giggle, if he wants. I'm just expressing my discomfort with the idea.

Chrisaway
02-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Side note on that subject: I think Larry Doby's number should be retired by the AL not Jackie's.

Back to discussion at hand.

pythons007
02-08-2010, 11:30 AM
That one I don't agree with.

I understand the racial barrier that was broken because of Jackie, but a retired number is a retired number.

GoGoCrede
02-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Right, because we all know exactly how the conversation went.

I will echo what others have said; if Aparicio's happy, I'm happy. Can't wait for the press conference.

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I just don't think it should be Little Louie's call. If Vizquel wasn't Venezuelan or Louie didn't like him because he didn't like the color of his car or something, but he had the exact same career and wanted to wear 11 and Louie said no, that would be OK?

The standard should be, if a number is retired, its retired. These are numbers, not some boxer or Michael Jordan or Brett Favre. If you are going to retire a number, retire it or unretire them all.

How come Vizquel never wore 11 before if it would be such an honor? He, like Ozzie, was a Dave Concepcion fan. #13.

Nellie_Fox
02-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I just don't think it should be Little Louie's call. If Vizquel wasn't Venezuelan or Louie didn't like him because he didn't like the color of his car or something, but he had the exact same career and wanted to wear 11 and Louie said no, that would be OK? Yes.

PaleHoser
02-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm not a fan of this. A retired number is a retired number.

The one circumstance I can think of where I would be in favor of something like this is if the player asking to have the number un-retired is immediate family.

This can all be put to an end if Ozzie would take #11 and give Vizquel #13. They both wear #13 as a tribute to Dave Concepcion anyway. This would allow #11 to stay off the field since Ozzie wears hoodies and jackets instead of a jersey anyway.

Woofer
02-08-2010, 11:50 AM
They're going to replace his image with a rotating set of images of different once-great players who played with the Sox only when they were well past their primes.:tongue:

Sandy Alomar Jr., Roberto Alomar, Jose Canseco, Ohhhh look it's Tom Seaver!, then boos from the crowd every time Ron Santos image is on the wall.:D:

GoGoCrede
02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
I just don't think it should be Little Louie's call. If Vizquel wasn't Venezuelan or Louie didn't like him because he didn't like the color of his car or something, but he had the exact same career and wanted to wear 11 and Louie said no, that would be OK?

The standard should be, if a number is retired, its retired. These are numbers, not some boxer or Michael Jordan or Brett Favre. If you are going to retire a number, retire it or unretire them all.

How come Vizquel never wore 11 before if it would be such an honor? He, like Ozzie, was a Dave Concepcion fan. #13.

Whose call should it be? Obviously they probably had to go to the higher-ups to get this done, but ultimately it's Aparicio's number and his choice. And in the article he says he has known Omar a long time. Frankly, he sounds very touched by the whole thing.

And this hardly means they're going to un-retire numbers at a rapid pace.

voodoochile
02-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I don't see this as an issue at all. As others have said, if Luis and Omar are cool with it great. If anything I think it opens the door for younger fans to learn more about Luis' career which is kind of cool. Think of the possibilities for grandparents to bond with their grandchildren talking about the great player they remember from their childhood.

Kind of cool way to cross connect generations, IMO.

JermaineDye05
02-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't get it. I mean I realize Vizquel is venezuelan and all but he's going to be here for 1 year. How does he get Aparicio's number and Beckham can't have 6?

Trav
02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I don't understand why anyone has a problem with this because Vizquel is on the downside of his career. I think the point is that Visquel had an amazing career and one of his heros growing up was Aparicio.

Trav
02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I don't get it. I mean I realize Vizquel is venezuelan and all but he's going to be here for 1 year. How does he get Aparicio's number and Beckham can't have 6?
Beckham is not a first ballot HOFer.

Dibbs
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I think it is rude of Vizquel to even take the number. I would insist on wearing a different number out of respect.

JermaineDye05
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Beckham is not a first ballot HOFer.

I agree with this right now, but I still don't see why that should matter. 6 isn't even officially retired by the organization. It's just odd that is all. I'm not mad that Vizquel is getting the number, more perplexed that Beckham can't have a number that's still not officially retired that's all.

october23sp
02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Like I've said, I don't really mind it but I hope it was Aparicio's request, not Vizquel's.

GoGoCrede
02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Like I've said, I don't really mind it but I hope it was Aparicio's request, not Vizquel's.

But the thing is, we just don't know how the entire situation was approached. It really sounds like Aparicio is touched by the whole thing, though. I'd love to wear my hero's jersey number, too. And I really think if Aparicio wasn't okay with it, the higher-ups wouldn't have let Vizquel take it.

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
But the thing is, we just don't know how the entire situation was approached. It really sounds like Aparicio is touched by the whole thing, though. I'd love to wear my hero's jersey number, too. And I really think if Aparicio wasn't okay with it, the higher-ups wouldn't have let Vizquel take it.
But he wasn't Vizquel's hero. If he was, Omar would have been sporting 11 for at least a couple of the 21 seasons he's been wearing 13. Davey Concepcion's number isn't available, so Omar goes down the list. Its not the end of the world, but I don't understand the business of retiring numbers if you just unretire them when acquiring old players that happen to be from the same area as the number retiree. Un-retire them all, but still pay tribute to the retired number players is what I say.

Jerko
02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure of the exact timeline, but didn't the Bulls let Armstrong wear #10 after it was retired? I thought that kind of "cheapened" it.

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure of the exact timeline, but didn't the Bulls let Armstrong wear #10 after it was retired? I thought that kind of "cheapened" it.
He wore 10, then it was retired. When he returned to the Bulls he wore 11.

Thome25
02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
This is VERY cool if you ask me.....I'm a numbers junkie and this move is not unprecedented. Bob "Butterbean" Love let BJ Armstrong wear his #10 for the Bulls all of those years.

Also, this isn't the first time one great player let another great player wear his jersey number. Steve Largent let Jerry Rice wear his #80 for the Seahawks in the NFL.

It makes me want to go out and buy Vizquel's #11 jersey. It's the only time you'll get to see that number on the field and rightfully so.....Vizquel is trying to honor one of his childhood heroes who happens to be one of his countrymen.....very classy and very cool.

Thome25
02-08-2010, 12:36 PM
He wore 10, then it was retired. When he returned to the Bulls he wore 11.

I believe that it was retired while Armstrong was wearing it.....Love let him continue wearing it.

Boondock Saint
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I believe that it was retired while Armstrong was wearing it.....Love let him continue wearing it.

You can't force someone to change numbers. That's why Mo Rivera is still wearing 42.

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
It was retired in 1993. BJ came to the Bulls in 1989. He already was wearing it. He did continue to wear it after it was retired until he left the Bulls, but he was an active player already wearing the number. When he came back several years later he wore a different number. Did Bob change his mind?

I don't know why I feel so strongly about this, after all its just a number. I just think retiring numbers is silly if you let players wear them because the player who has the number retired may like them. There was a reason the number was retired.

The Miami Heat retired 23 in honor of MJ. I wonder if MJ likes a guy because he wears the Jordan brand, and he plays for the Heat, if he'll "let" him wear 23.

g0g0
02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
I couldn't tell if Aparicio actually had a say in it or not from the ESPN article. But if he's okay with it then I guess it's fine. I would rather not have the number cheapened by other players. That's the whole point of retiring it. A player who made a great impact on the organization is rewarded with a little piece of the organization that no one else can claim (that particular number). Now let's hope Vizquel doesn't play like ****...

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I couldn't tell if Aparicio actually had a say in it or not from the ESPN article. But if he's okay with it then I guess it's fine. I would rather not have the number cheapened by other players. That's the whole point of retiring it. A player who made a great impact on the organization is rewarded with a little piece of the organization that no one else can claim (that particular number). Now let's hope Vizquel doesn't play like ****...

So if Corky Miller was married to Carlton Fisk's daughter and he came to the Sox and wanted to wear 72, that wouldn't be a problem as long as Carlton said OK.

I understand Vizquel WAS a great player. He's a back up now. Who knows if he even lasts the season. It would be one thing for Vizquel to give the number its due with outstanding performances, but at this time, he's not that player.

I don't know why I used your post to respond, it was in general. You seem to agree with me in regard to at least the player should be reasonably expected to be outstanding while wearing the number.

#1swisher
02-08-2010, 01:21 PM
So if Corky Miller was married to Carlton Fisk's daughter and he came to the Sox and wanted to wear 72, that wouldn't be a problem as long as Carlton said OK.

I understand Vizquel WAS a great player. He's a back up now. Who knows if he even lasts the season. It would be one thing for Vizquel to give the number its due with outstanding performances, but at this time, he's not that player.

Let's put the number 11 in teal on his White Sox Jersey:redneck

GoGoCrede
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM

I don't know why I used your post to respond, it was in general. You seem to agree with me in regard to at least the player should be reasonably expected to be outstanding while wearing the number.

I understand you want to make sure that Aparicio is given due respect, but your comparison is strange, since the Fisk thing hasn't actually happened. My point is, it's a case-by-case basis. No need to make up wild events that have not actually happened to support your argument.

Let's see what Vizquel does first.

spawn
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM

That's not even close to a comparison and you know it. Vizquel may be closer to retirement than his prime, but he was a great SS. Corky Miller has never been an adeuate ball player. Vizquel wearing the #11 is one great Venezuelan SS wearing the number of a formerly great Venezuelan SS. This post is absolutely ridiculous.:rolleyes:

g0g0
02-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Ya! Leave me alone! :tongue:

Let's put the number 11 in teal on his White Sox Jersey:redneck

:rolling:

spawn
02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I understand you want to make sure that Aparicio is given due respect, but your comparison is strange, since the Fisk thing hasn't actually happened. My point is, it's a case-by-case basis. No need to make up wild events that have not actually happened to support your argument.

It doesn't even come close to supporting his argument. I think it's funny that the one guy that would actually have a reason for not agreeing with this actually has no problem with it, and seems honored by it. Go figure. :shrug:

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 01:29 PM
That's not even close to a comparison and you know it. Vizquel may be closer to retirement than his prime, but he was a great SS. Corky Miller has never been an adeuate ball player. Vizquel wearing the #11 is one great Venezuelan SS wearing the number of a formerly great Venezuelan SS. This post is absolutely ridiculous.:rolleyes:
He's a 43 year old back up at this point. He has no business wearing Little Louie's number 11, that is the point. If it was so important for him to honor Louie he had plenty of time to do it. He wouldn't have even bothered here if 13 was available.

hi im skot
02-08-2010, 01:29 PM
This is pretty much a non-story. Good for Aparicio and good for Vizquel.

Hardly controversial in my book.

soxfanatlanta
02-08-2010, 01:30 PM
The Miami Heat retired 23 in honor of MJ. I wonder if MJ likes a guy because he wears the Jordan brand, and he plays for the Heat, if he'll "let" him wear 23.

Good grief :rolleyes:

I understand that this is a weird scenario, but please don't lose any sleep over this.

GoGoCrede
02-08-2010, 01:32 PM
He's a 43 year old back up at this point. He has no business wearing Little Louie's number 11, that is the point.

Again, if Aparicio is okay with it, who cares? He's the only one who actually matters in this argument. Who are any of us to decide what "business" Vizquel has wearing it, when Aparicio has already decided for us?

Daver
02-08-2010, 01:37 PM
This thread is a hoot.

Noneck
02-08-2010, 01:43 PM
He's a 43 year old back up at this point. He has no business wearing Little Louie's number 11, that is the point. If it was so important for him to honor Louie he had plenty of time to do it. He wouldn't have even bothered here if 13 was available.

Its Looie.

spawn
02-08-2010, 01:45 PM
This is pretty much a non-story. Good for Aparicio and good for Vizquel.

Hardly controversial in my book.
That sums it up nicely.

sox1970
02-08-2010, 01:52 PM
It seems kind of dumb that they're unretiring a number that Vizquel hasn't actually worn himself. But, whatever.

Shoeless
02-08-2010, 02:24 PM
It seems kind of dumb that they're unretiring a number that Vizquel hasn't actually worn himself. But, whatever.

Did you not read the announcement? Vizquel's reasoning for wearing the number is sound, to say the least.

dickallen15
02-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Did you not read the announcement? Vizquel's reasoning for wearing the number is sound, to say the least.

His real reasoning was 13 isn't available.

thomas35forever
02-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Vizquel better have a decent season then if he doesn't want to disgrace to number of a HOFer.

oeo
02-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I can't believe some of you are hot about this. This isn't disrespectful of Aparicio, not honoring his opinion is.

soxinem1
02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
If he was in his prime, maybe. Now that he is 43, a back-up at best, this is just silly. There is no point retiring numbers if you are just going to unretire them.

I agree. If you unretire a number for that person, like Baines coming back as a coach, or when Luke Appling became a coach, that is okay.

But what is the purpose of retiring the number just to give it to a guy past his prime (who is supposed to be a backup player) to wear for a year.

Give him 111 if he has to wear the '1' on his uniform.

I think this is all part of Ozzie's plan to get Vizquel 500 AB's!:o:

Goodman6
02-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I can't believe some of you are hot about this. This isn't disrespectful of Aparicio, not honoring his opinion is.

What I am having a hard time believing is the fact that the Sox are actually going to have a news conference at 3 PM CST to announce Vizquel will wear no. 11. What a waste of time and effort!!!! I'd rather they have a news conference announcing the signing of a DH that can hit in the middle of our lineup.

Goodman6
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I think this is all part of Ozzie's plan to get Vizquel 500 AB's![/B]:o:

If this is true (and I wouldn't doubt it), then that will confirm that Ozzie has officially lost his mind.

Lip Man 1
As long as Looie's cool with it, this shouldn't be a problem. It's basically his number, he earned the right to have it retired by his performance for so many years with the club. He has earned the right to "unretire" it for the year or two that Omar is going to be around.

Lip

hi im skot
Vizquel better have a decent season then if he doesn't want to disgrace to number of a HOFer.

If Vizquel has a lousy season (or a good one for that matter), I don't care what number he wears.

There's a good chance he's going to be nothing more than a trivial piece of the 2010 puzzle anyway, so who really gives a ****?

I can't believe people are getting bent out of shape over something so dumb.

Railsplitter
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Since I've never understood the rationale behind retiring numbers, I agree.

TheVulture
02-08-2010, 03:05 PM
It's one Venezuelan honoring the only Venezuelan in the HOF.

And Omar should be joining him as the second in the future, so it will be good that both wore number 11 for the Sox.

Mohoney
02-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I think that should be scaled down where only the longest tenured player on a team should have the right to wear #42 on that day.

guillen4life13
02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
LOL!

I think this is great!

Are you guys actually complaining about how Vizquel will be remembered for wearing the number 11 on the White Sox? It's going to be a footnote in his career that he even played for the Sox unless he wins his first World Series as a member of this team. And if that happens, his jersey number won't be the notable topic.

It's a gesture between two HOF caliber shortstops and countrymen.

Put it to you this way. The reason Vizquel is going to wear 11 mainly due to the fact that 13 isn't available. He is faced with the misfortune of playing under a manager who, like himself, made his name with that jersey number. Given that he cannot wear 13, he could have done what most players do and try to take 31, or 24. Or he could pay homage to his countryman and another hall of fame SS while in the twilight of his career. As long as Aparicio is happy with it, what's the problem?

Another thing: if Aparicio were deceased, Vizquel wouldn't get his number. Just like A-Rod didn't get Babe Ruth's number even though he made his name with the number 3.

And with the people who are saying that Vizquel being in the twilight of his career hurts his case for taking this jersey, I'm completely confused. Wouldn't his career status make him less likely to do anything to define that number? Giving Beckham #11 or #6 would make it almost guaranteed that the history of that jersey would be rewritten. People would remember the number for him, not Aparicio or Lau. Right now, I see it being damn close to impossible for Vizquel to have a moment that will redefine the number as HIS. Vizquel will always be remembered as #13. Aparicio as #11.

spawn
02-08-2010, 03:42 PM
And Omar should be joining him as the second in the future, so it will be good that both wore number 11 for the Sox.
Exactly. The more I think about it, the cooler I think it is.

jabrch
02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
So you would have a problem if Vizquel asked Aparicio if he could honor him by wearing his number? Again, if Apparicio himself doesn't have a problem with it, why should we?

Exactly right....except for how you spelled "Aparicio"

jabrch
02-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I can't believe people are getting bent out of shape over something so dumb.

:welcome:

This doesn't REALLY surprise you, does it?

SI1020
02-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Why do some people get so upset when others have the temerity to have an opinion? Isn't that what forums like this are for? As for the number thing I personally could care less what number he wears, but understand the opposite point of view. I just hope he's able to be semi productive at age 43.

spawn
02-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Exactly right....except for how you spelled "Aparicio"
Fat fingers.:redface:

Daver
02-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Why do some people get so upset when others have the temerity to have an opinion? Isn't that what forums like this are for? As for the number thing I personally could care less what number he wears, but understand the opposite point of view. I just hope he's able to be semi productive at age 43.

43 might be a good omen, Richard Petty won 200 races using that number.

oeo
02-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Why do some people get upset when their opinion is questioned? Isn't that what forums are for? Debating?

Nellie_Fox
02-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I personally could care less what number he wears.How much less could you care?

hi im skot
02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
:welcome:

This doesn't REALLY surprise you, does it?

This is flat-out dumb. It's especially entertaining that folks who never saw Aparicio play are getting upset...

harwar
02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
perhaps the PR dept came up with the idea .. hence the news conference .. maybe when they ran it by both involved parties the general reaction might have been a casual, "yea, whatever" ..

oeo
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
perhaps the PR dept came up with the idea .. hence the news conference .. maybe when they ran it by both involved parties the general reaction might have been a casual, "yea, whatever" ..

The idea was bounced around by Vizquel the day he was signed.

Whitesox029
02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
As long as they don't make and sell T-shirts with Vizquel and #11, and Luis is ok with it, I don't see anything wrong with this. It's not as if they'd unretire it for just anyone. Omar has a special reason to want to wear it. And contrary to many people, I think it makes more sense with Vizquel not in his prime anymore. His role on the team is almost symbolic. If he were a younger player, it would be presumptuous for him to make such a suggestion, but Vizquel is already a future Hall-of-Famer (with very similar career numbers to Aparicio), so I think he's more worthy of the honor. Plus, if he were in his prime, he might potentially play here for many more years as a starter, and the number's legacy would start to split for Sox fans. Imagine if Beckham said he wanted to wear #2 to honor Nellie Fox. That certainly wouldn't fly as well, and not just because Nellie can't give his approval.

TDog
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
With Aparicio's blessing, I'm fine with it.

I feel the same way, but it is kind of weird. Vizquel was popularly known as a Conception guy, not an Aparicio guy. Of course, he can't wear Conception's number with the Sox.

Of course, Bee Bee Richard wore Aparicio's number after the White Sox traded Aparicio to make room for his emerging greatness. I think by the time the Sox broke camp in Sarasota, though, they changed Richard's number to Minnie Minoso's old number, so Richard may be the only player in Sox history to have his number retired twice.

Forgive me if this point has already been made in this thread with many pages, but it's kind of weird that Vizquel first broke Aparicio's record, and then he took his retired number. That's kind of weird, too.

hi im skot
02-08-2010, 04:38 PM
As long as they don't make and sell T-shirts with Vizquel and #11, and Luis is ok with it, I don't see anything wrong with this. It's not as if they'd unretire it for just anyone. Omar has a special reason to want to wear it. And contrary to many people, I think it makes more sense with Vizquel not in his prime anymore. His role on the team is almost symbolic. If he were a younger player, it would be presumptuous for him to make such a suggestion, but Vizquel is already a future Hall-of-Famer, so I think he's more worthy of the honor. Plus, if he were in his prime, he might potentially play here for many more years as a starter, and the number's legacy would start to split for Sox fans. Imagine if Beckham said he wanted to wear #2 to honor Nellie Fox. That certainly wouldn't fly as well, and not just because Nellie can't give his approval.

I guarantee you they will make Vizquel shirts. They made Chris Getz shirts, for chrissakes.

The Beckham/Fox thing ain't going to happen, so nothing to worry about there. This is obviously a special instance, and bravo to all parties for going along with it.

fram40
02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
What number did Chico Carrasquel wear? Is that number available?

Warriorjan
02-08-2010, 04:57 PM
When Tom Crean coached at Marquette, he gave a new player (I forget who, now), George Thompson's number, which had been retired and was hanging in the rafters at the Bradley Center. Thompson was unhappy, having not been consulted, and Crean gave the ridiculous explanation that the number hadn't been retired, just the jersey.
I don't really like Vizquel wearing Aparicio's number, no matter whose idea it was. A retired number should be just that, retired. Maybe Luis is sincere, and maybe he's too gracious to object. We'll never really know. And I don't think unretiring a number should be based on whether some guy has had a Hall-of-Fame career prior to coming to the Sox. Who makes that decision in the future? Bad precedent.
But I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

wassagstdu
02-08-2010, 04:59 PM
A number is retired by the team, not by its owner. The team does so as a symbol of the fact that nobody will fill his shoes in the future. To let a part-time player wear it at a point in his career when he can in no way honor it by performing up to its standards does nothing but cheapen it.

That and I resent the fact that my 1959 number 11 jersey with no name on it will now be ambiguous (assuming the Sox have a 1959 turn back the clock day in 2010).

jabrch
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
This is flat-out dumb. It's especially entertaining that folks who never saw Aparicio play are getting upset...

A dumb arguement at WSI? Seriously? :-)

Skot - I agree. I'm just not surprised this level of dumb comes up in an arguement. There are all sorts of dumb arguements here.

That would be a good thread - if it doesn't exist already - Dumb WSI Arguements.

TommyJohn
02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
If they are going to unretire a number, make it number 3.

soltrain21
02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
If this is true (and I wouldn't doubt it), then that will confirm that Ozzie has officially lost his mind.

You actually think that's true? Tell me, what is the latest stylings in tin foil caps?

skobabe8
02-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Is the teal not working on my screen? People seriously are getting worked up over this??

LITTLE NELL
02-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Whats the point of retiring a number, this stinks.

If they ever let anyone else wear #2, I will really be pissed.

hula
02-08-2010, 06:59 PM
A number is retired by the team, not by its owner. The team does so as a symbol of the fact that nobody will fill his shoes in the future. To let a part-time player wear it at a point in his career when he can in no way honor it by performing up to its standards does nothing but cheapen it.

That and I resent the fact that my 1959 number 11 jersey with no name on it will now be ambiguous (assuming the Sox have a 1959 turn back the clock day in 2010).

I'm with you on this all the way. No way do I want my #11 jersey or #11 old school WS tshirt to be mistook for Vizquel. To me, that honor belongs to Loooie.

I not only grew up watching Aparicio play, but whenever we played in the alley back on the southside (imagine that!) I'd pretend I was Looie. Remember having a player that you'd pretend to be when you played ball as a kid? I even saved up allowance to send away for a White Sox 3 quarter sleeve sweatshirt to wear when I played. You really couldn't just go to a store back then and have that stuff availalbe. It came with iron on letter & numbers, and I proceeded to put Aparicio on the back with "11" on it. I was thrilled and felt so full of pride to wear it.

The first game I ever attended was in 1970 for Looie Aparicio day and the souvenir program hangs on the wall today with all my other Sox memoribilia. I also had to come back to Chicago when they dedicated the statue to him. I was absolutely a die hard Looie fan!

The fact that this was Vizquel's idea bothers me. And I know, if Looie has warm fuzzy feeling for Omar and is ok with it, then whats the big deal, but as a fan, his number being retired made him all that much more special to me.

I remember reading an interview with Ozzie a few years ago where he described Looie as a different kind of ballplayer and somewhat odd, strange, or something like that. He implied that he's very aloof, very serious, and not a friendly type, reiterating that he's "different" but it didn't change his respect for him and what he accomplished. It's hard when those bubbles we kept people in from our youth start to get pin holes in them...

anewman35
02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
The second I saw the press release, my first thought was "people at WSI are going to have silly little fits over this". I'm glad I wasn't disappointed. Anybody who spends more than a minute caring about this (either way, really) needs to get a grip.

Brian26
02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
:tomatoaward

GoGoCrede
02-08-2010, 07:15 PM
:tomatoaward

Christ, who'd have thought? I can't talk, though...I contributed quite a few replies to this award.

Well done, WSI. Teal?

HangWiffum
02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
If they are going to unretire a number, make it number 3.

Absolutely. There was NEVER a reason to retire that number in the first place

Brian26
02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
It seems like people are missing the point here that Aparicio and Vizquel have been friends for a long time. The day the Sox signed Omar, there was a picture already taken of Luis and Omar together, both with Sox hats on and Omar's new Sox jersey. This decision is 100% endorsed by Aparicio, and as far as we know may have even been his idea. Omar's worn 13 in the past, so there would be no reason for him to make a stink about using #11.

I think it's a neat tribute to both guys. I've got no problem with it.

Domeshot17
02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
I personally think its stupid, but really who cares.

Brian26
02-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Absolutely. There was NEVER a reason to retire that number in the first place

To put this in perspective, Mark Buehrle has now played as long as Baines did in a Sox uniform before he was traded. Paul Konerko has played a season and a half longer than Baines did before the Texas trade.

I guess you have to analyze the decision to retire #3 within the context of the team's fortunes in 1989.

sunofgold
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/138/vizquel-turns-to-luis-after-ozzie-says-no

#13 wasn't available. This is where this stems from.

Very simple solution. Vizquel could wear #113. Why not allow three digit numbers?

Otherwise, he could wear 0 which would mean O for Omar. Or 0 for no errors. Or #17, which was worn by Chico Carrasquel.

But, I have no problems with him wearing #11. C'mon it is Omar Vizquel. I admire his courage to ask. hahaha!

Noneck
02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
If they ever let anyone else wear #2, I will really be pissed.

I would also because Nellie cant give the ok for someone else to wear #2.

spawn
02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I would also because Nellie cant give the ok for someone else to wear #2.
And that's the most important part of the whole discussion. Aparicio gave Vizquel permssion to wear his number. His is the only opinion that should matter.

Brian26
02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Otherwise, he could wear 0 which would mean O for Omar.

Oscar Gamble vetoed it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__t6oFjHvLm0/R2IeSXXkIXI/AAAAAAAAAPY/hRkkAjecA1I/s320/538910101.jpg

Hitmen77
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Oscar Gamble vetoed it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__t6oFjHvLm0/R2IeSXXkIXI/AAAAAAAAAPY/hRkkAjecA1I/s320/538910101.jpg

:o: Wow, I don't remember Oscar Gamble having a 2nd go around with the Sox in the 80s.

I just remember him from that one special rent-a-player season in 1977 before he left as a free agent for San Diego. Interestingly, we traded Bucky Dent to get Gamble in '77 but we also got a minor leaguer named LaMarr Hoyt in the deal. Later, after he won a Cy Young award for us, we traded Hoyt for a rookie shortstop who ended up wearing #13 for the Sox.

Brian26
02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
:o: Wow, I don't remember Oscar Gamble having a 2nd go around with the Sox in the 80s.

I just remember him from that one special rent-a-player season in 1977 before he left as a free agent for San Diego. Interestingly, we traded Bucky Dent to get Gamble in '77 but we also got a minor leaguer named LaMarr Hoyt in the deal. Later, after he won a Cy Young award for us, we traded Hoyt for a rookie shortstop who ended up wearing #13 for the Sox.

...and, tying it all back together, Gamble came back to the Sox for a cup of coffee in #13's rookie year.

Waysouthsider
02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Side note on that subject: I think Larry Doby's number should be retired by the AL not Jackie's.

Back to discussion at hand.

With all due respect to Jackie Robinson who was awesome in every respect, I totally agree with this!

s

SI1020
02-08-2010, 09:27 PM
How much less could you care? What can I say? You got me, and the worst part of it is we're about the same age.

wassagstdu
02-08-2010, 09:37 PM
This decision is 100% endorsed by Aparicio, and as far as we know may have even been his idea.
100% endorsed?

"If there is one player who I would like to see wear my uniform number with the White Sox, it is Omar Vizquel," Aparicio said in a statement.

That seems fairly lukewarm to me.

Frater Perdurabo
02-08-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm OK with this.

But I will scream if Ozzie uses this as a reason to keep an extra infielder, just because he doesn't want to disrespect Vizquel - and Aparicio - by putting Omar into a blowout game to rest a starter.

oeo
02-08-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm OK with this.

But I will scream if Ozzie uses this as a reason to keep an extra infielder, just because he doesn't want to disrespect Vizquel - and Aparicio - by putting Omar into a blowout game to rest a starter.

Huh? :scratch:

puckereduppiet
02-08-2010, 11:00 PM
100% endorsed?

"If there is one player who I would like to see wear my uniform number with the White Sox, it is Omar Vizquel," Aparicio said in a statement.

Vizquel asked Aparicio.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0209-aparicio-white-sox-chicago--20100208,0,6331187.story

sunofgold
02-08-2010, 11:45 PM
How many people were thinking about Aparicio before this announcement? This cannot be bad. Remind/teach younger people about Aparicio.

White Sox have unretired a number before. Harold Baines. #3. They retired his number while he was still playing, but not for the White Sox. And they he came back and they gave him his number back.

Okay, here is a joke. Vizquel is Aparicio's avatar.

Goodman6
02-09-2010, 12:19 AM
100% endorsed?

Good post.

I don't care what number Vizquel wears, but I wouldn't mind if he was wearing a different team's uniform in 2010. Watching the news conference on MLB.com, Omar is talking like he is the every day SS on the 2010 White Sox. He talked about the tradition of Venezuelan SS playing for the Sox, Carrasquel, Aparicio, Guillen and now him. Has anyone told the arrogant little ass that a Cuban, Alexei Ramirez, IS the Sox SS in 2010 and Omar is just a utility infielder? If not, then I wonder what Ozzie has up his sleeve.

Vizquel will always be a Cleveland Indian in my mind and should be nothing more than a utility infielder in 2010, if we had a sane manager. Aparicio is being a real professional about this as why would Aparicio be happy with a weak hitting, over-the-hill utility infielder wearing his number..... especially a guy that would go in to the HOF as a Cleveland Indian, if he is lucky enough to get voted in? What was Aparicio supposed to say? If he said "no", then Aparicio looks like a jerk.

Again, I don't care what number Omar wears but I sure hope Ozzie isn't thinking about playing this guy a whole lot. Our hitting will be weak enough without adding a .220 hitter with no power to the lineup. I don't care what Omar's career average is as the guy is going on 43-years old and a .220 average in 2010 should be expected.

TheVulture
02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Vizquel will always be a Cleveland Indian in my mind and should be nothing more than a utility infielder in 2010, if we had a sane manager. Aparicio is being a real professional about this as why would Aparicio be happy with a weakhitting, over-the-hill utility infielder wearing his number.....

There's a long line of great Venezuelan shortstops and the greatest ever are Aparicio and Vizquel. Another of the best is the manager of the team and the first was the original go-go Sox shortstop Chico Carrasquel. That's something special right there, I don't see how anyone can't see that.

And Omar is the utility infielder. You can't do much better than that for a utility infielder, the man can still throw some leather.

TheVulture
02-09-2010, 12:40 AM
100% endorsed?

Lukewarm? He's basically saying OV is the only player he'd be okay with wearing his number.

SephClone89
02-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Watching the news conference on MLB.com, Omar is talking like he is the every day SS on the 2010 White Sox. He talked about the tradition of Venezuelan SS playing for the Sox, Carrasquel, Aparicio, Guillen and now him. Has anyone told the arrogant little ass that a Cuban, Alexei Ramirez, IS the Sox SS in 2010 and Omar is just a utility infielder?

Yeah, how DARE our future HOF utility infielder admit that he may play some shortstop this season!

Goodman6
02-09-2010, 01:23 AM
There's a long line of great Venezuelan shortstops and the greatest ever are Aparicio and Vizquel. Another of the best is the manager of the team and the first was the original go-go Sox shortstop Chico Carrasquel. That's something special right there, I don't see how anyone can't see that.

And Omar is the utility infielder. You can't do much better than that for a utility infielder, the man can still throw some leather.

No Kidding. I have seen them all play, from Carrasquel to Vizquel so I don't need to be educated by you. Congratulations on totally missing my point.

Goodman6
02-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Yeah, how DARE our future HOF utility infielder admit that he may play some shortstop this season!

If, in fact, he will be a utility infielder in 2010 and play SOME shortstop, then fine. I am just not sure how much he has left in the tank at 43. Watching the news conference, he didn't talk like he was going to be a utility infielder. Perhaps I misunderstood. Did you watch the news conference? If so, I would appreciate your take on it.

SephClone89
02-09-2010, 01:36 AM
If, in fact, he will be a utility infielder in 2010 and play SOME shortstop, then fine. I am just not sure how much he has left in the tank at 43. Watching the news conference, he didn't talk like he was going to be a utility infielder. Perhaps I misunderstood. Did you watch the news conference? If so, I would appreciate your take on it.

I did watch it, yes. While I didn't hear him say "I will be utility infielder on this team," he certainly didn't make me think that he was under any delusions as to his role on the team...

I just think you're looking way too much into this.

tick53
02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
If it's OK with Louie, it's OK with me but it will be strange to see another Sox player wearing number 11 on his back. The Sox retired and un-retired number 3 so many times that they should have put a blackboard in the outfield.

On a related subject, I don't think coaches should have numbers that could be used for players. They could wear higher numbers on their backs. For example, Jeff Cox wears number 8. That number could be used for a current player. Cox could wear something in the 50's or 60's. The same goes for most of the other coaches. As for Ozzie, how many times do we actually see the number 13 on him. He usually wears a jacket even in warm weather. Just a thought.

eriqjaffe
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
The Sox retired and un-retired number 3 so many times that they should have put a blackboard in the outfield. I'm sure that Harold asked himself if it would be OK if he wore his own number. ;)

TheOldRoman
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm sure that Harold asked himself if it would be OK if he wore his own number. ;)He didn't even ask. Reportedly, when Harold found out he was PISSED.

DonnieDarko
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
He didn't even ask. Reportedly, when Harold found out he was PISSED.

Pissed that he would be wearing his own old number? :?:

TommyJohn
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm against it. What is the purpose of retiring a number if you are just going to "unretire" it for any guy who wants to pay "tribute"? That makes no sense.

That being said, Aparicio has no problem with it, so no big deal. It's not like I'll dislike Vizquel or boo him because of it. I just don't like the idea of it.

tacosalbarojas
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm against it. What is the purpose of retiring a number if you are just going to "unretire" it for any guy who wants to pay "tribute"? That makes no sense.

That being said, Aparicio has no problem with it, so no big deal. It's not like I'll dislike Vizquel or boo him because of it. I just don't like the idea of it.
Pretty much my take on it. I thought he was going to take Chico's #17 which IMO would have basically accomplished the same thing (giving the nod to the Venezuelan forebears) while not causing such a stir.

SephClone89
02-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Pissed that he would be wearing his own old number? :?:

I'm thinking that he was trying this new thing called "humor."

LongLiveFisk
02-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I am really torn on this issue. Of course, if it's ok with Aparicio, then no one else should really get bent out of shape over it, but on the other hand, would it really kill him just to wear a different number? :?:

anewman35
02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
On a related subject, I don't think coaches should have numbers that could be used for players. They could wear higher numbers on their backs. For example, Jeff Cox wears number 8. That number could be used for a current player. Cox could wear something in the 50's or 60's. The same goes for most of the other coaches. As for Ozzie, how many times do we actually see the number 13 on him. He usually wears a jacket even in warm weather. Just a thought.

Um. Why can't numbers in the 50s or the 60s be used for players? I'm pretty sure I remember a pretty good pitcher we have who has a number in the 50s.

wassagstdu
02-10-2010, 07:28 AM
It's not about honoring Aparicio. It's about "the matador" honoring himself.

SI1020
02-10-2010, 08:52 AM
It's not about honoring Aparicio. It's about "the matador" honoring himself. It does seem all about him doesn't it? You've got to face up to it. Many, maybe even most people today have an entirely different take on honoring traditions than you and I do. I think retired numbers should stay that way, but understand that many things have changed greatly in my lifetime. I figure that if it's OK with Aparacio then who am I to say anything? I'm more concerned with Vizquel's play on the field. I hope he proves me wrong because I'm wondering why he's on the roster in the first place.

oeo
02-10-2010, 02:36 PM
It does seem all about him doesn't it? You've got to face up to it. Many, maybe even most people today have an entirely different take on honoring traditions than you and I do. I think retired numbers should stay that way, but understand that many things have changed greatly in my lifetime. I figure that if it's OK with Aparacio then who am I to say anything? I'm more concerned with Vizquel's play on the field. I hope he proves me wrong because I'm wondering why he's on the roster in the first place.

You do realize we started last year with Wilson Betemit and Brent Lillibridge on the bench, right?

sunofgold
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
to play some defense. 11 Gold Gloves and he hasn't made an error in a long time. Hopefully, he can also mentor Alexei and Gordon. Also, he serves as Aparicio's Avatar.

A. Cavatica
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't like the idea of Vizquel wearing any Sox uniform number, much less Aparicio's.

An over-the-hill light-hitting shortstop who Ozzie's going to play at DH. Can't wait for the season to start.

Chrisaway
02-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I think out of respect for Aparicio, I might buy that Mitchell & Ness jersey I've been eyeing.

johnnyg83
02-11-2010, 12:50 AM
IMHO ... Aparicio owns that number, he earned it, not the Sox ... he can do what he wants with it.

What will it be in 10 years?

Honestly ... 56 is on it today. I hope he is WhiteSox for life. He's a great teammate, role model and spokesman for our team. And a testament to the fact that 1st round picks with 100 mph fastballs mean very little ...

hi im skot
02-11-2010, 08:03 AM
I think out of respect for Aparicio, I might buy that Mitchell & Ness jersey I've been eyeing.

:thumbsup:

tick53
02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Um. Why can't numbers in the 50s or the 60s be used for players? I'm pretty sure I remember a pretty good pitcher we have who has a number in the 50s.

This is true so maybe I should say give coaches higher numbers like in the sixties or even seventies. I like seeing players wearing lower numbers but I suppose it really doesn't matter.

RCWHITESOX
02-11-2010, 02:31 PM

I"m OK with it because it's not like Visquel is some young talent coming to the Sox to make a name for himself; he just wants to wear the number out of respect for Aparicio. We all know when we see the #11 that's Aparicio"s # just like we know that #3 is Baines and #2 is Fox's. That's all I have to say about it.

dickallen15
02-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I"m OK with it because it's not like Visquel is some young talent coming to the Sox to make a name for himself; he just wants to wear the number out of respect for Aparicio. We all know when we see the #11 that's Aparicio"s # just like we know that #3 is Baines and #2 is Fox's. That's all I have to say about it.
If its more of an honor to have a player wear your number as a tribute, why retire any number?

johnr1note
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
It's not about honoring Aparicio. It's about "the matador" honoring himself.

Bingo!

johnr1note
02-12-2010, 10:09 PM
I hear Frank Thomas has consented to allow Kotsay, Jones, and Nix to all wear no. 35 as each of them will "rotate" at DH.

FarWestChicago
02-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Why does everybody have their panties in a knot? If Louie likes it and wants it, who cares about your opinion?

TornLabrum
02-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Why does everybody have their panties in a knot? If Louie likes it and wants it, who cares about your opinion?

How dare Aparicio like it? It is our duty as blowhards to protest this!

TommyJohn
02-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I hear Frank Thomas has consented to allow Kotsay, Jones, and Nix to all wear no. 35 as each of them will "rotate" at DH.
Actually, in 2020 he will allow newly acquired Albert Pujols to wear it.