PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers


nixsox
06-14-2002, 07:49 AM
Can you believe Rogers article in the Cubune? Sox and the city? I am in shock! Go Sox beat the Flubs.
:D:

Viva Magglio
06-14-2002, 08:02 AM
:maggs
:smile: ˇOlé!

:shammy
:angry: Damn you, Phil Rogers.

:knue
:angry: Uh, Phil, can I see you in my office?

:hitless:caballo
:D: :D: We stink, but at least we're better than our counterparts on the North Side!

Kilroy
06-14-2002, 08:37 AM
He picks all Sox players except for some of the Cubs in the rotation and a guy off the bench. But did you notice how he conveniently didn't explain the reasons to choose Magglio over So-so?

Hey Phil, reach down and make sure you've got a pair...

Kilroy
06-14-2002, 08:45 AM
Jimmy Piersall is on right now, and they asked him to choose his all-Chicago all-star team.

He took the Cub player at every position. He said Buerhle was the #1 pitcher in town was Buerhle but he followed that up by saying that he'd take the entire Cub team over the Sox.

Senile bastard...

hold2dibber
06-14-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
He picks all Sox players except for some of the Cubs in the rotation and a guy off the bench. But did you notice how he conveniently didn't explain the reasons to choose Magglio over So-so?

Hey Phil, reach down and make sure you've got a pair...

He did explain why he chose Maggs -- Sammy's "me first," egomaniacal clubhouse presence, and the fact that Maggs has produced in clutch situations whereas Sosa has had a "24 swing season" (i.e., other than his homers, he has virtually nothing and his homers have not come in critical situations).

Kilroy
06-14-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber


He did explain why he chose Maggs ...

In what I read on the net, all it said was something about the O-EE-O chant...

delben91
06-14-2002, 08:50 AM
Any chance one of you could post the article for those of us who don't want to "register" with the cubune's site?

DrCrawdad
06-14-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Any chance one of you could post the article for those of us who don't want to "register" with the cubune's site?

You asked for it, you got it...

Sox dominate All-City team
Phil Rogers
On Baseball
June 14, 2002

Almost four months, and only 26 victories later, Sammy Sosa's words still echo through the quiet of the Cubs' clubhouse.

"Good morning, America," Sosa shouted upon his arrival. "I'm in the house."
Sosa then went around the room welcoming teammates to "my house." What did that make them up until the time of Sosa's arrival? Squatters?

This scene might not have stuck in the memory bank if it had played out on Feb. 21 when Don Baylor conducted the Cubs' first workout. But this was Feb. 25.

It sets a certain tone when the leader of a team arrives late and loud. This happens every spring with Sosa, of course, but it carried more weight in 2002.

The Cubs were not in their usual where-are-we-going? mode. They were trying to build off last year's 88-victory season and needed to emphasize team goals. Instead, the story of the spring was the Sosa-Barry Bonds feud, which seemed to shift Sosa's focus onto personal goals.

If there's not much chemistry in the Cubs' clubhouse, perhaps it is because Sosa and the special treatment he receives-along with how standoffish he is when times are hard-chokes the fun out of the place.

We bring this up because it's time to make what annually has been the toughest choice for the Tribune's All-City team: Sosa or Magglio Ordonez?
Because Sosa has those 24 home runs and a .314 batting average, he will be making his fifth straight trip to the All-Star Game. His power numbers have allowed him to dodge accountability for the Cubs being 12 games below .500. But a handful of numbers never tell the story.

Sosa never has provided the impact in the win-loss standings that his statistics suggest he would. He seemed to change his ways in 2001. He lost weight, took more pitches and had the best year of his career. As badly as the Cubs faded with Sosa, they wouldn't have won 75 games without him.
But other than long balls, he hasn't had his game going in '02. Sosa has contributed his share to an awful first half, with too many outs in the big at-bats and overthrown cutoff men, as well as in overall karma.

Sosa has built his batting average this way-.227 with men in scoring position and .335 otherwise. He's 1-for-14 in two-out, men-in-scoring-position situations and hitting .172 in close-and-late situations. He has 44 RBIs overall.

It really has been a 24-swing season for the likely Hall of Famer. Take away the home runs and he's batting .234 with nine RBIs in 205 at-bats. Yikes.
Ordonez (.308-11-46) is hitting .295 with men in scoring position, .281 with men in scoring position and two outs and .250 in close-and-late situations.
Sure, Sosa has homered more than twice as often as Ordonez. But make mine Magglio.

DrCrawdad
06-14-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
:knue
:angry: Uh, Phil, can I see you in my office?



Talk about a career limiting article.

delben91
06-14-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad


You asked for it, you got it...


Thanks much Doc, I appreciate it.

Kilroy
06-14-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Any chance one of you could post the article for those of us who don't want to "register" with the cubune's site?

As far as I know, you don't have to register to see the stuff that's current. Only to get archived stuff. I never log in or anything, just go there and click...

delben91
06-14-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy


As far as I know, you don't have to register to see the stuff that's current. Only to get archived stuff. I never log in or anything, just go there and click...

Huh, I don't know, but whenever I go to chicagosports.com, if I click on any link to any article, it takes me to this user log-in page and spews all this stuff about all the great things that will happen for me if I do register. I don't need to read any article that badly.

Let's hear it for the suntimes! :gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-14-2002, 09:38 AM
Did anyone else notice Rogers faced Jon Garland--choosing the newest Cubbie messiah, Mark "Walk on Water" Prior over Garland?

Garland pitches today. Let's see how he responds.

Also, Rogers still took time to smack Comiskey Park, stating the "OO-EE-OO" chant was the best thing going.

Yeah right, Phil. Much better that we do the "we want a hit" chant (or "left field sucks" if we're seated in the bleachers) in between talking on the phone, eating stale food, and smelling urine.

Sorry, folks. Rogers wants credit for picking Maggs over Sosa? How could he not? Meanwhile, his opinions about the Sox and our ballpark are borderline ignorant.

Typical crap from this guy.

DrCrawdad
06-14-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Typical crap from this guy.

PHG, you're right! In my glee that Mr. Rogers selected Magglio I overlooked that garbage. Maybe Mr. Rogers has under pressure from his Tribune masters to at least rip the Sox too.

Paulwny
06-14-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by delben91


Huh, I don't know, but whenever I go to chicagosports.com, if I click on any link to any article, it takes me to this user log-in page and spews all this stuff about all the great things that will happen for me if I do register. I don't need to read any article that badly.

Let's hear it for the suntimes! :gulp:


The same thing happens when I get on.

Chisox353014
06-14-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Jimmy Piersall is on right now, and they asked him to choose his all-Chicago all-star team.

He took the Cub player at every position. He said Buerhle was the #1 pitcher in town was Buerhle but he followed that up by saying that he'd take the entire Cub team over the Sox.

Senile bastard...

Hey, the Flubs have THREE full-time players hitting over .250! I'd say Piersall has an eye for big-time talent!

Cheryl
06-14-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by delben91


Huh, I don't know, but whenever I go to chicagosports.com, if I click on any link to any article, it takes me to this user log-in page and spews all this stuff about all the great things that will happen for me if I do register. I don't need to read any article that badly.

Let's hear it for the suntimes! :gulp:

Nothing happens though. Not one thing. You can choose to have their weekly newsletter sent via e-mail, or choose not to.

I've never gotten anything from the Trib since I've registered. Except free Tribs in the morning--someone in my building has a subscription and they never pick up their papers. So I grab the Saturday and Sunday papers if they're still in the lobby by the time I get up.

Tragg
06-14-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad


Talk about a career limiting article.

LOL

Great article.

duke of dorwood
06-14-2002, 11:15 AM
Anyone think he's just trying to motivate the Cubs?

PANFIRECRACKER
06-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Anyone think he's just trying to motivate the Cubs?


YES

cheeses_h_rice
06-14-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Anyone think he's just trying to motivate the Cubs?

:moron

My Sammy needs no external motivation. After all, he has his meaningless stats to pursue...

Iwritecode
06-14-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice


:moron

My Sammy needs no external motivation. After all, he has his meaningless stats to pursue...

Yea, like moving up on the career strikeout list...

FarmerAndy
06-14-2002, 12:42 PM
Don't want to anger anybody, but I thought his line about scoring Manuel's move to put Valentin at shortstop "E-MGR" was hilarious.

FarmerAndy
06-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Any chance one of you could post the article for those of us who don't want to "register" with the cubune's site?

They actually have these things in print too. You can pick 'em up at gas stations and grocery stores for 50 cents or something. It's really quite amazing. :)

Daver
06-14-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy


They actually have these things in print too. You can pick 'em up at gas stations and grocery stores for 50 cents or something. It's really quite amazing. :)

That rag is not worth 50 cents.

FarmerAndy
06-14-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by daver


That rag is not worth 50 cents.

You've got a point there, Daver.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-14-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Anyone think he's just trying to motivate the Cubs?

Personally, I doubt it. Given this clown's track record, I would say he sincerely believes based on 4 weeks performance, Mark Prior is a better pitcher than Jon Garland.

He also sincerely believes Sammy Sosa is an inferior rightfielder to Ordonez, not because of anything Maggs did on the field, but what Sammy does off it.

Rogers has never hidden his distaste for Comiskey Park and this "objective" analysis confirms it yet again. I guess he figures his stupid viewpoint is safe because 30,000 tourists crowd into that piss-hole he and they prefer nearly every game. Baseball fans in this city might see things a bit differently.

Phil Rogers is a Class One clown. Nothing in this latest column of his changes my viewpoint about him one bit.

delben91
06-14-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy


They actually have these things in print too. You can pick 'em up at gas stations and grocery stores for 50 cents or something. It's really quite amazing. :)

Not when you live in Washington D.C. you can't. They don't have that large a circulation.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-14-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


Personally, I doubt it. Given this clown's track record, I would say he sincerely believes based on 4 weeks performance, Mark Prior is a better pitcher than Jon Garland.

He also sincerely believes Sammy Sosa is an inferior rightfielder to Ordonez, not because of anything Maggs did on the field, but what Sammy does off it.

Rogers has never hidden his distaste for Comiskey Park and this "objective" analysis confirms it yet again. I guess he figures his stupid viewpoint is safe because 30,000 tourists crowd into that piss-hole he and they prefer nearly every game. Baseball fans in this city might see things a bit differently.

Phil Rogers is a Class One clown. Nothing in this latest column of his changes my viewpoint about him one bit.

Oh, I forgot one more.

I think he sincerely agrees with Royce Clayton who thinks he is entitled to bat .200 and remain the everyday shortstop for a Sox team that can't hit its way out of a paper bag.

"E-Mgr"? Cute. Phil Rogers, explain how you blame a delusional manager for benching a guy who thinks he's entitled to play every day, rather than back-tracking on his "benched for the long-term" comment while simultaneously denying he was contradicting himself.

THAT'S why Sox Fans are turning on Jerry Manuel. And if they aren't idiots like Phil Rogers and moronic Cubs fans, the Sox players are turning on him, too. This manager is quickly losing his credibility inside the clubhouse. All he has is his word--and it's quickly being revealed as worthless.

DVG
06-15-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber


He did explain why he chose Maggs -- Sammy's "me first," egomaniacal clubhouse presence, and the fact that Maggs has produced in clutch situations whereas Sosa has had a "24 swing season" (i.e., other than his homers, he has virtually nothing and his homers have not come in critical situations).



:moron

WWWWWWWHHHHHAAATTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! THE scum-sucking
Tribsters picked Ordonez over GOD!!!!????? How dare they!!!!!!
This is WAR!!!!! WAR, I SAY!!!!!! That's worse than Dewey Beats
Truman or whatever that headline was!!!! This is worse than
choosing Barrabas over Jesus!!!!! Sammy is Jesus!!!! Just wait
until I get back from the golf tournament!!!! You scum Sox fans
will hear from me!!!!!!!! I'm locked and loaded!!!!! All my blood
oath archenemies will rue the day that they dissed our Lord and
Savior!!!!! Delicious!!!!!!!!!

LongDistanceFan
06-15-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by DVG




:moron

WWWWWWWHHHHHAAATTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! THE scum-sucking
Tribsters picked Ordonez over GOD!!!!????? How dare they!!!!!!
This is WAR!!!!! WAR, I SAY!!!!!! That's worse than Dewey Beats
Truman or whatever that headline was!!!! This is worse than
choosing Barrabas over Jesus!!!!! Sammy is Jesus!!!! Just wait
until I get back from the golf tournament!!!! You scum Sox fans
will hear from me!!!!!!!! I'm locked and loaded!!!!! All my blood
oath archenemies will rue the day that they dissed our Lord and
Savior!!!!! Delicious!!!!!!!!! "scum sucking" that is way too funny..........