PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Baseball: It's Black and White

dwalteroo
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/2029390,CST-NWS-sox04.article

1. Cool that they are going to focus in on the Hispanic community.

2. What do you guys think of the new overall marketing slogan? This article would suggest that is the tagline for this year.

DonnieDarko
02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I'll reserve my judgment until I see more of the finished product that is the marketing campaign. Right now, I'm pretty much on the fence.

doublem23
02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
As long as we get more commercials like this, I don't care what the slogan is.

iFdkGYvIwXI

GoGoCrede
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
So this will be the 2010 team motto? I like that they're reaching out to the Hispanic community (which I am a part of). I really enjoyed 2008's "share the passion, show the swagger."

Last year's "There are traditions..." one just invited ridicule.

ewokpelts
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
I thought Orgullo Sox did that job?

Jason82807
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I thought 2006's Grinder Rule was pretty good. 2007's Back to the Grind was just lame. I'm also undecided on the current one.

Rohan
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I just don't like it... It seems like these slogans are just getting farther and farther away from the game of baseball.

GoGoCrede
02-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I just don't like it... It seems like these slogans are just getting farther and farther away from the game of baseball.

I think they're trying to appeal to the casual fanbase with these slogans. Giving them a little more incentive, a little more pizazz so they'll want to come. The hardcore fans are already sold. They will be there no matter what the slogan is.

NardiWasHere
02-04-2010, 01:29 PM
As long as they don't lose their minds and revive:

"It's Time"

And the commercials where the Sox players die and they dress some dude up like the devil....

Real bad stuff

g0g0
02-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't know why, but I keep getting this in my head when I hear that slogan...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2AitTPI5U0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2AitTPI5U0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Black and White Works for me.

Show the history of the team for the White portion; show the Blackout game for the other. :D:

oeo
02-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Last year's "There are traditions..." one just invited ridicule.

Which is the case with any team that fails. 'It's Black and White' can easily be ridiculed too if the team fails. 'Win or Die Trying' could have been ridiculed if the team failed.

Save McCuddy's
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
What does this do to the formerly successfull "silver and black pack"?

Rdy2PlayBall
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I liked the swagger one a lot.... this one isn't that great... And commercials will probably be boring if they have anything to do with this "theme"

Carolina Kenny
02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
We don't need another stupid slogan every year.

This one has no ring to it and will be ripe for ridicule if the Sox stumble. If they do well, it will be inconsequential.

A no win deal either way.

Hitmen77
02-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Just as long as they don't run the same tired old commercials over and over again all season long.

Last year, the commercial with the man wearing the same shirt to the Sox game as when he was a kid and the lady who blindfolded her kid at the Sox game because he didn't get an A was maybe funny the first couple times, but geez they just ran that same stupid ad over and over again.

samurai_sox
02-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I thought 2006's Grinder Rule was pretty good. 2007's Back to the Grind was just lame. I'm also undecided on the current one.

2007's was "We Are Chicago Baseball", how appropriate since that was a miserable season.

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-04-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/2029390,CST-NWS-sox04.article

1. Cool that they are going to focus in on the Hispanic community.

2. What do you guys think of the new overall marketing slogan? This article would suggest that is the tagline for this year.

It is the tagline. I was in the office last week talking to a few people. I pcied up a pocket schedule and its on it.

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Just as long as they don't run the same tired old commercials over and over again all season long.

Last year, the commercial with the man wearing the same shirt to the Sox game as when he was a kid and the lady who blindfolded her kid at the Sox game because he didn't get an A was maybe funny the first couple times, but geez they just ran that same stupid ad over and over again.

I agree for sure. It was good but then...

CLUBHOUSE KID
02-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Which is the case with any team that fails. 'It's Black and White' can easily be ridiculed too if the team fails. 'Win or Die Trying' could have been ridiculed if the team failed.

Yes I always thought the same thing! Imagine if we did Die Trying? I still think of Dustin Hermanson on the sox Pride DVD when he says something like i guess we didn't die trying.

TommyJohn
02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Nothing will ever top The Hawk Wants You!

MARTINMVP
02-04-2010, 08:47 PM
The Good Guys in Black from the early 1990s was the coolest advertising campaign ever. I was 8 or 9 back then and I always thought the White Sox were the cooler team.

More and more though, I think the Sox marketing and advertising has gotten more and more dopier in recent years. Comes across as second rate.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Well... at least the videos that the Sox play at games are always great. The blackout one was amazing... and a lot of the ones they have out there are cool too. :cool:

oeo
02-04-2010, 10:54 PM
The Good Guys in Black from the early 1990s was the coolest advertising campaign ever. I was 8 or 9 back then and I always thought the White Sox were the cooler team.

More and more though, I think the Sox marketing and advertising has gotten more and more dopier in recent years. Comes across as second rate.

If you think Sox ads are 'second rate', check out the Bulls ads. "We love it live!" = Lame.

I think every year the advertising has been fine since Brooks has been here. Before Brooks they were pretty crappy campaigns.

Domeshot17
02-04-2010, 11:07 PM
This is awful. Maybe Brooks can spin it into a decent commercial or 2. Most our slogans usually suck, but all that matters is if we win or lose. There are traditions was really stupid to me. It isn't like we were the Yankees, we won 1 world series. At least black and white resembles the team.

soltrain21
02-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Bring back "Batman Batman and Robin."

oeo
02-05-2010, 12:18 AM
This is awful. Maybe Brooks can spin it into a decent commercial or 2. Most our slogans usually suck, but all that matters is if we win or lose. There are traditions was really stupid to me. It isn't like we were the Yankees, we won 1 world series. At least black and white resembles the team.

That means the Sox have no traditions? :scratch:

Taliesinrk
02-05-2010, 12:26 AM
That means the Sox have no traditions? :scratch:

Yeah. I mean the Cubs have lots of "traditions"...

I thought it worked... a team that's been around as long as the Sox definitely will have some traditions.

oeo
02-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Yeah. I mean the Cubs have lots of "traditions"...

I thought it worked... a team that's been around as long as the Sox definitely will have some traditions.

I thought the actual goal was a Sox Pride type theme. Never once did it cross my mind that they were saying the Sox are full of winning tradition.

SephClone89
02-05-2010, 01:36 AM
I grew up with one of the best.

The Kids Can Play.

ShoelessJoeS
02-05-2010, 02:20 AM
I grew up with one of the best.

The Kids Can Play.Hated it.

"Good Guys Wear Black" :thumbsup:

WhiteSox5187
02-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Hated it.

"Good Guys Wear Black" :thumbsup:

I liked "The Kids Can Play" I didn't like "Good Guys Wear Black" because at the time I was upset that they got rid of the old logo which was blue, not black. I thought they were implying that the old logo was in fact a bad guy for not wearing black...I was four.

I wasn't around for this, but my favorite slogan might be the 1970 team: "Angry Young Men" which given how they played, they had every right to be. My least favorite slogan is probably the 1987 one (the year I was born, which one would assume they would have tried to advertise!) which was: "Anything Can Happen!"

TomBradley72
02-05-2010, 04:00 AM
We don't need another stupid slogan every year.

This one has no ring to it and will be ripe for ridicule if the Sox stumble. If they do well, it will be inconsequential.

A no win deal either way.

I COMPLETELY agree.

I'd stick with Passion, Commitment, etc. year in year out...stop with the random slogans every year...establish what the franchise is all about and stick with it.

TomBradley72
02-05-2010, 04:07 AM
If you think Sox ads are 'second rate', check out the Bulls ads. "We love it live!" = Lame.

I think every year the advertising has been fine since Brooks has been here. Before Brooks they were pretty crappy campaigns.

I think Brooks peaked in 2005...ever since then...back to Rob Gallas territory...except for a few bright spots.."Black Out" being a huge success and well executed.

TV and print ads have been second rate for the last 4-5 years. As mentioned in another thread...promotions are less than mediocre...does ANYONE still think Mullett Night, Elvis Night and Halfway to St. Pats Days are still fresh ideas? Lame.

The Critic
02-05-2010, 08:47 AM
The thing that surprised me is that only 14% of USCF attendance is Hispanic. I always thought it was a much higher percentage than that.
The slogan doesn't grab me, but it doesn't bother me, either.

Jim Shorts
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
You guys realize that this slogan's aren't for you, right?

They don't have to appeal to you, they've already got ya.

Who cares?

Although, I liked AJ's spot last year. However, I was going and following, regardless.

TheOldRoman
02-05-2010, 10:13 AM
I think Brooks peaked in 2005...ever since then...back to Rob Gallas territory...except for a few bright spots.."Black Out" being a huge success and well executed.

TV and print ads have been second rate for the last 4-5 years. As mentioned in another thread...promotions are less than mediocre...does ANYONE still think Mullett Night, Elvis Night and Halfway to St. Pats Days are still fresh ideas? Lame.I agree somewhat, but I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as Gallas. I don't understand why they try to reinvent the marketing every year. They came out with "Sox Pride" in the middle of 2004, and I think people really liked it. The next year, they switched to "Win or die trying" with the grinder rules, and I believe that campaign was very successful, even aside from the championship. Instead of having continuity, they changed it completely the next year. It makes no sense.

As for Brooks, the next year will tell a lot about him. Nancy has one year left and he has repeatedly dissed the organ though not finding someone to step in for Nancy on the weeknights and giving vague excuses. Although they are "100% committed to organ music and its historical significance", Brooks will likely announce that there will be no organ music in the park in 2011. If Brooks follows through with his "How can you replace her? It is like Duke replacing Coach K" BS and turn's Nancy's booth into another elotes stand, it will show that he cares nothing about the desires of Sox fans.

ewokpelts
02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree somewhat, but I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as Gallas. I don't understand why they try to reinvent the marketing every year. They came out with "Sox Pride" in the middle of 2004, and I think people really liked it. The next year, they switched to "Win or die trying" with the grinder rules, and I believe that campaign was very successful, even aside from the championship. Instead of having continuity, they changed it completely the next year. It makes no sense.

As for Brooks, the next year will tell a lot about him. Nancy has one year left and he has repeatedly dissed the organ though not finding someone to step in for Nancy on the weeknights and giving vague excuses. Although they are "100% committed to organ music and its historical significance", Brooks will likely announce that there will be no organ music in the park in 2011. If Brooks follows through with his "How can you replace her? It is like Duke replacing Coach K" BS and turn's Nancy's booth into another elotes stand, it will show that he cares nothing about the desires of Sox fans.I liked the 2006 ad slogan: 2005 World Champions

Soxfan 78
02-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I liked the 2006 ad slogan: 2005 World Champions

I second that!!!!:smile:

MARTINMVP
02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
The 2001 slogan was quickly forgotten. "It's time." Didn't they drop that midway through the season after it was well established the team blew and would not followup from the excellent 2000 year?

Shoeless
02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't know why, but I keep getting this in my head when I hear that slogan...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2AitTPI5U0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2AitTPI5U0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"What happened is, you got a B"

BNLSox
02-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Win or Die Trying should have been the slogan every year until we failed to no longer win a title. I blame '06 on switching away from it.

oeo
02-05-2010, 03:29 PM
As for Brooks, the next year will tell a lot about him. Nancy has one year left and he has repeatedly dissed the organ though not finding someone to step in for Nancy on the weeknights and giving vague excuses. Although they are "100% committed to organ music and its historical significance", Brooks will likely announce that there will be no organ music in the park in 2011. If Brooks follows through with his "How can you replace her? It is like Duke replacing Coach K" BS and turn's Nancy's booth into another elotes stand, it will show that he cares nothing about the desires of Sox fans.

I thought Brooks has made it pretty clear that the majority of Sox fans do not want organ music. It just doesn't make any sense for him to lie about that. What could he possibly be gaining besides some irate fans?

thomas35forever
02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I like it. Reminds a bit of "Good Guys Wear Black" mainly due to the fact that "Black" is in the title.

KenBerryGrab
02-05-2010, 03:57 PM
"The world is black. The world is white. It turns by day and then by night...."

roylestillman
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
"Line Shot" with that mini-movie (with Tim Kazurinsky?) from the early 90's was the most baffling. Good Guys wear Black was good and was used for a few years, I think.

And then there was "The Hawk Wants You."

I always thought that the Blackhawks "One Goal" was fraught with ironic humor if the offense went bad.

TheOldRoman
02-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I thought Brooks has made it pretty clear that the majority of Sox fans do not want organ music. It just doesn't make any sense for him to lie about that. What could he possibly be gaining besides some irate fans?No. I don't think he specifically said if the majority wanted the organ or not. I know this board isn't a good representative of the entire fan base, but I believe the majority want the organ. Brooks responds with PR level responses like "we understand the tradition", "organ music has been a big part of the ballpark experience, but we think fans want to hear other music, too", and so forth. He also prety much dodged the question whenever asked why they didn't find a part-time organist to play the night games. Aside from whatever fan surveys they do around the park, several message board crazies (myself included) have emailed him a time or two to express our desire to hear organ music.

So far, all we have gotten was a commitment to Nancy, which was only half-fledged since they were all too eager to accept her offer for a decreased schedule. Meanwhile, Brooks kept throwing out lines like the one I mentioned above about "she is so good that nobody can ever replace her." Brooks, Duke won't disband its basketball team when Coach K retires. Along witht that, he has implied that it is nearly impossible to find an organist. They have been waiting for Nancy to retire, and when she does they will make no effort to replace her. The only fans who would be irate are the diehards. They are going to buy tickets anyway. Brooks probably feels the organ is gimmicky and that blasting rap and pop music will ulatimately make the experience better for casual fans.

oeo
02-05-2010, 04:44 PM
No. I don't think he specifically said if the majority wanted the organ or not. I know this board isn't a good representative of the entire fan base, but I believe the majority want the organ. Brooks responds with PR level responses like "we understand the tradition", "organ music has been a big part of the ballpark experience, but we think fans want to hear other music, too", and so forth. He also prety much dodged the question whenever asked why they didn't find a part-time organist to play the night games. Aside from whatever fan surveys they do around the park, several message board crazies (myself included) have emailed him a time or two to express our desire to hear organ music.

So far, all we have gotten was a commitment to Nancy, which was only half-fledged since they were all too eager to accept her offer for a decreased schedule. Meanwhile, Brooks kept throwing out lines like the one I mentioned above about "she is so good that nobody can ever replace her." Brooks, Duke won't disband its basketball team when Coach K retires. Along witht that, he has implied that it is nearly impossible to find an organist. They have been waiting for Nancy to retire, and when she does they will make no effort to replace her. The only fans who would be irate are the diehards. They are going to buy tickets anyway. Brooks probably feels the organ is gimmicky and that blasting rap and pop music will ulatimately make the experience better for casual fans.

I could have sworn he's mentioned that Sox fans prefer the canned music over the organ. The only way to truly know that is to poll fans at the park. I know people here that are for an organist are pretty vocal about it, but I think there's a lot of people (including myself) who really don't care. I respect Nancy Faust, but I just don't pay attention to that stuff at a game. I don't care what kind of music is being played, that there's pizza races on the video board, or a Chevy Pride Crew...I'm just indifferent on it all. I go to watch the game, and as long as all that crap is out of the way while the game is being played, I don't care what kind of dumb stuff is going on or bad music playing in the background.

Fox-To-Aparicio
02-06-2010, 02:32 AM
No. I don't think he specifically said if the majority wanted the organ or not. I know this board isn't a good representative of the entire fan base, but I believe the majority want the organ. Brooks responds with PR level responses like "we understand the tradition", "organ music has been a big part of the ballpark experience, but we think fans want to hear other music, too", and so forth. He also pretty much dodged the question whenever asked why they didn't find a part-time organist to play the night games. Aside from whatever fan surveys they do around the park, several message board crazies (myself included) have emailed him a time or two to express our desire to hear organ music.

I disagree with anyone on this board thinking we are really the majority. In fact we are the minority. The reason we are on here is because we are the few passionate supporters that care how our team does. That is why we discuss these small details.

I believe the majority of DIE HARD fans want the old days with the organ. But let's face it. The park is filled with people looking for a good time. Not all fans are like us. I truly believe the majority of paid seats in the park really don't care if the Sox win or lose. They are there for a good time. To them, it's like a day off of work or a day at the circus. They want bright lights, new-hip music, and something to look at. We are the ones that sweat the small stuff like music, organ, etc.

I love the fact that even though we are the minority the White Sox at least humor us by answering our emails and phone calls. Brooks Boyer is one of the best in baseball when it comes to public relations.

Fox-to-Aparicio

Brian26
02-06-2010, 10:26 AM

TV and print ads have been second rate for the last 4-5 years. As mentioned in another thread...promotions are less than mediocre...does ANYONE still think Mullett Night, Elvis Night and Halfway to St. Pats Days are still fresh ideas? Lame.

I agree somewhat, but I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as Gallas. I don't understand why they try to reinvent the marketing every year. They came out with "Sox Pride" in the middle of 2004, and I think people really liked it. The next year, they switched to "Win or die trying" with the grinder rules, and I believe that campaign was very successful, even aside from the championship. Instead of having continuity, they changed it completely the next year. It makes no sense.

These are two good posts.

One point about Gallas. He's generally ridiculed here for falling asleep in the late 90s and early part of this decade. Part of that is well deserved, but this is also the man who had one of the most successfully five year marketing runs in major league baseball between '90-'95. The way he handled the last season at Old Comiskey was top-notch. He brought the Turn-Back-The-Clock concept to major league baseball. He's responsible for the new uniforms and logo that the Sox still wear today, 20 years later. I thought he did a nice job before the team went south in the late 90s.

Brian26
02-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I love the fact that even though we are the minority the White Sox at least humor us by answering our emails and phone calls. Brooks Boyer is one of the best in baseball when it comes to public relations.

In a way, that may prove to be one of his biggest weaknesses too. It seems that most of the questions he answers aren't representative of the general fan base.

I give him credit for trying to clean up the mess Christine O'Reilly made of Soxfest though.

Waysouthsider
02-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I could have sworn he's mentioned that Sox fans prefer the canned music over the organ. The only way to truly know that is to poll fans at the park. I know people here that are for an organist are pretty vocal about it, but I think there's a lot of people (including myself) who really don't care. I respect Nancy Faust, but I just don't pay attention to that stuff at a game.

All I know is that I LOATHE the canned music....it takes all of the character out of the game....what a big, big drag that Nancy is leaving....the cool thing about Nancy is that she ADDS a lot to the game with her clever use of the music she plays...

As far as black and white, I don't much care as long as they win.

Domeshot17
02-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I could have sworn he's mentioned that Sox fans prefer the canned music over the organ. The only way to truly know that is to poll fans at the park. I know people here that are for an organist are pretty vocal about it, but I think there's a lot of people (including myself) who really don't care. I respect Nancy Faust, but I just don't pay attention to that stuff at a game. I don't care what kind of music is being played, that there's pizza races on the video board, or a Chevy Pride Crew...I'm just indifferent on it all. I go to watch the game, and as long as all that crap is out of the way while the game is being played, I don't care what kind of dumb stuff is going on or bad music playing in the background.

It isn't about what MOST Sox fans want, its about what can fill a stadium. Most true die hard Sox Fans know the history of Nancy and want the organ, everyone knows this. However, like you said, we go Nancy or not. Now if the Sox can pump popular music into the stadium, have those pizza races on tv or the big mac ones, have the stupid dance on the dugout contest, it opens us up to 2 new markets. We now attract the cub style fan who wants to come get drunk and have fun, and most importantly, we now attract the family crowd. I took my 4 year old cousin to his first game last year. He enjoyed the baseball for a bit, but it was the music, the food, screen games, south paw that he liked most.

MARTINMVP
02-06-2010, 12:38 PM
It isn't about what MOST Sox fans want, its about what can fill a stadium. Most true die hard Sox Fans know the history of Nancy and want the organ, everyone knows this. However, like you said, we go Nancy or not. Now if the Sox can pump popular music into the stadium, have those pizza races on tv or the big mac ones, have the stupid dance on the dugout contest, it opens us up to 2 new markets. We now attract the cub style fan who wants to come get drunk and have fun, and most importantly, we now attract the family crowd. I took my 4 year old cousin to his first game last year. He enjoyed the baseball for a bit, but it was the music, the food, screen games, south paw that he liked most.

The screen games, South Paw and stuff is what kids will like. The crowd who comes to get drunk and have fun, I'm not sure if they will care about the music. I don't see how the organ music would discourage fans from not coming to the stadium. Ohhhhh, that South Side ballpark! They play organ music and NOT enough of Linkin Park or Aero Smith. We can't go to this ballpark!

Lip Man 1
02-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Brian:

Ask Torn Labrum (Hal Vickery) about Rob Gallas and the Turn-Back-The-Clock-Promo. I believe he's written and commented on the report that Gallas got the concept from a young fan who sent it to him and that the idea wasn't really his.

My thoughts on Gallas are best expressed with this item from my interview with Brooks:

ML: Unlike your predecessor, many of whom thought was aloof and taciturn, you actually seem to like dealing with the fans… you answer e-mails, encourage conversation and take ideas. Is that simply sound business principles at work or is there something more going on here? (Author’s Note: At this point I explained to Brooks that in all the years I wrote Rob Gallas I only received one reply. Brooks comment was “that’s unbelievable that he’d only get back to you once.”)

Speaking of which here's the link to Brooks' interview since advertising / marketing/ Nancy Faust have been brought up in this thread. It might be worth a re-read:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3534

Lip

MISoxfan
02-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Brian:

Ask Torn Labrum (Hal Vickery) about Rob Gallas and the Turn-Back-The-Clock-Promo. I believe he's written and commented on the report that Gallas got the concept from a young fan who sent it to him and that the idea wasn't really his.

My thoughts on Gallas are best expressed with this item from my interview with Brooks:

ML: Unlike your predecessor, many of whom thought was aloof and taciturn, you actually seem to like dealing with the fans… you answer e-mails, encourage conversation and take ideas. Is that simply sound business principles at work or is there something more going on here? (Author’s Note: At this point I explained to Brooks that in all the years I wrote Rob Gallas I only received one reply. Brooks comment was “that’s unbelievable that he’d only get back to you once.”)

Speaking of which here's the link to Brooks' interview since advertising / marketing/ Nancy Faust have been brought up in this thread. It might be worth a re-read:

Lip

This seems like it contradicts itself.

TheOldRoman
02-06-2010, 04:34 PM
The screen games, South Paw and stuff is what kids will like. The crowd who comes to get drunk and have fun, I'm not sure if they will care about the music. I don't see how the organ music would discourage fans from not coming to the stadium. Ohhhhh, that South Side ballpark! They play organ music and NOT enough of Linkin Park or Aero Smith. We can't go to this ballpark!
True. They have an organ at the urinal (not sure if they also play canned music) and that hasn't stopped people from thinking it is hip to go there. As I said before, Brooks knows real baseball fans will go regardless. He believes that blasting T.I. and Lady Gaga will make people want to go to games who otherwise wouldn't.

Lip Man 1
02-07-2010, 11:02 AM
MISox Fan:

Brooks ideas appear to have been his own. If what Hal says is true, given the scope of the concept and how it turned out, it would have been appropriate for Gallas to have given the young fan some of the credit don't you think? Given the same set of circumstances I can't not see Brooks at least acknowleding the fan. (Again assuming what Hal has said is true.)

By all accounts Gallas was an incompetent boob who might have gotten the job in the first place as part of a deal where he wouldn't sue the Sox after getting choked by Jimmy Piersall.

Remember he was a sportswriter for one of the suburban newspapers with no previous experience (to my knowledge) in marketing / advertising / public relations before getting the position.

Lip

TommyJohn
02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
MISox Fan:

Brooks ideas appear to have been his own. If what Hal says is true, given the scope of the concept and how it turned out, it would have been appropriate for Gallas to have given the young fan some of the credit don't you think? Given the same set of circumstances I can't not see Brooks at least acknowleding the fan. (Again assuming what Hal has said is true.)

By all accounts Gallas was an incompetent boob who might have gotten the job in the first place as part of a deal where he wouldn't sue the Sox after getting choked by Jimmy Piersall.

Remember he was a sportswriter for one of the suburban newspapers with no previous experience (to my knowledge) in marketing / advertising / public relations before getting the position.

LipHow long did Gallas work for the Sox and when did he start? The choking incident was in 1979. I don't recall Gallas around until 1990. Did Veeck hire him?

Brian26
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
MISox Fan:

Brooks ideas appear to have been his own.

It would be silly to assume Brooks comes up with every new idea on his own. I think Brooks' job is better described as someone who assembles/gathers ideas from fans and inner staff and then comes up with a master plan by tweaking those ideas on his own. Even at Soxfest, every topic Brooks discussed was based on fan feedback or surveys or emails he has received.

That's idle speculation at best and maybe an irresponsible statement at worst (unless you know something we don't know, which is entirely possible).

Lip Man 1
02-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Brian:

It's educated speculation based on conversations for what that may be worth.

TJ:

I'm not sure when he was hired to be honest with you.

Lip

TommyJohn
02-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Brian:

It's educated speculation based on conversations for what that may be worth.

TJ:

I'm not sure when he was hired to be honest with you.

LipIt just seems that one doesn't correlate with the other-the choking incident happened seemingly long before he was hired. That's why I'm wondering.

Brian26
02-07-2010, 04:24 PM
http://www.keypartnersllc.com/robgallas.htm

This is pretty interesting.

Brian26
02-07-2010, 04:25 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/team/exe_bios/gallas_rob.html

Old White Sox bio says he joined in 1989, FWIW.

Domeshot17
02-07-2010, 05:26 PM
It would be silly to assume Brooks comes up with every new idea on his own. I think Brooks' job is better described as someone who assembles/gathers ideas from fans and inner staff and then comes up with a master plan by tweaking those ideas on his own. Even at Soxfest, every topic Brooks discussed was based on fan feedback or surveys or emails he has received.

That's idle speculation at best and maybe an irresponsible statement at worst (unless you know something we don't know, which is entirely possible).

Pretty much the basic concept of Marketing. Anyone who is a head or director of marketing and doesn't consider fan/consumer response is going to be out of a job quickly

ewokpelts
02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
In a way, that may prove to be one of his biggest weaknesses too. It seems that most of the questions he answers aren't representative of the general fan base.

I give him credit for trying to clean up the mess Christine O'Reilly made of Soxfest though.and what mess is that?

ewokpelts
02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Brian:

Lip
and johnny mccub got the beanie baby idea from his daughter. ALL marketing guys take ideas and spin them thier way....

TomBradley72
02-08-2010, 10:27 AM
and johnny mccub got the beanie baby idea from his daughter. ALL marketing guys take ideas and spin them thier way....

Coming up with ideas is easy...execution is hard. Regardless of where the idea came from, Gallas deserves credit for a great (and first) execution of a "Turn Back the Clock" concept. Brooks Boyer didn't invent the concept of "Black Out" but is was incredibly well executed.

It doesn't matter where the "idea" comes from, it getting the job done that differentiates professionals.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Just saw one of the first "It's Black and White" commercials. Pretty cool. Not funny, not entertaining, but it was deep. Makes the Sox seem like a tougher and more serious team.

DonnieDarko
02-13-2010, 10:17 PM
I dunno about "deep", but it was certainly entertaining.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-13-2010, 10:20 PM
I dunno about "deep", but it was certainly entertaining.The one with snow and talk about Buehrle on a farm somewhere? It wasn't that entertaining... :?:

DonnieDarko
02-13-2010, 10:33 PM
The one with snow and talk about Buehrle on a farm somewhere? It wasn't that entertaining... :?:

You're right, entertaining isn't the right word. Unfortunately, I can't find the correct (positive) word to use here. It made me smile when I watched it.

Maybe I just really miss baseball.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
You're right, entertaining isn't the right word. Unfortunately, I can't find the correct (positive) word to use here. It made me smile when I watched it.

Maybe I just really miss baseball.If there was a word for that, that's the one I would use for the commercial. :tongue:

DonnieDarko
02-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Amen, brother...

MARTINMVP
02-14-2010, 01:43 AM
The one with snow and talk about Buehrle on a farm somewhere? It wasn't that entertaining... :?:

Saw it for the first time (the one with a snowy and iced U.S. Cellular Field) during last night's Blackhawks game on WGN-TV. Kind of interesting, but it will get old fast. My non-baseball loving fiance thought it was sad because she took it as a sign that winter still has another one or two left.

Sockinchisox
02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
You can watch the ad here.

http://adland.tv/commercials/white-sox-baseball-prepare-2010-60

sox1970
02-15-2010, 02:44 PM

Yawn.

doublem23
02-15-2010, 03:02 PM

I like that one. Perhaps I will look into this "Based Ball."

cws05champ
02-15-2010, 03:40 PM

I agree...a little yawn. I like the one "one Goal, one Destination", but other than that...

SephClone89
02-15-2010, 03:45 PM
I like it a lot.