PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Sign Verlander to $80 million deal

Hitmen77
02-04-2010, 10:51 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35225808/ns/sports-baseball/

5 years, $80 million.

SoxSpeed22
02-04-2010, 11:07 AM
They will need to re-build soon. Verlander and Cabrera and two really good players to build around. Good move.

oeo
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
They will need to re-build soon. Verlander and Cabrera and two really good players to build around. Good move.

I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing right now. Doing the same type of 'rebuild on the go' that the Sox have been doing the last couple years. The Tigers have a ton of money coming off their payroll after the season.

thedudeabides
02-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing right now. Doing the same type of 'rebuild on the go' that the Sox have been doing the last couple years. The Tigers have a ton of money coming off their payroll after the season.

That's exactly what I have been thinking. They have to bide their time until a couple contracts come off the books. It will give their young guys like Rayburn, Jackson, and Sizemore a chance to show what they can do at the big league level. Just like Feilds, BA, and Getz had an opportunity last year. They will then have a bunch of money to overhaul the roster come 2011-2012, and allocate to their needs.

At the same time, if some of their young players step up they could contend this year. It's a lot like the Sox going into last year.

That's why it'll be interesting to see if they really are in on Damon. They could use his LH bat at the top of the order, but they want to get Rayburn and Clete Thomas at bats. It would be next to impossible to do that with Damon. Not to mention Damon would give them three guys in him, Guillen, and Maggs that probably shouldn't be roaming that outfield anymore. They are all borderline DH's in a huge outfield. But, they need to find someone to take away at bats from Maggs. I think he vests for another year if he sees 500-550 plate appearances.

Maybe, Oblong or one of our other Tiger fans here could help us with that info. I may be off.

FloridaTigers
02-04-2010, 07:02 PM
As the earlier poster mentioned, the Tigers have already been rebuilding, essentially since the disastrous 2008 season. Nobody expected them to contend last year, which they did, however I feel this year's team is at best, a 78 win team. The pitching will be great, but the offense will likely be even worse than last season, and that just boggles my mind because last year was REALLY bad.

I don't think Maggs needs at bats taken away from him. He's not the batting champion he was a few years ago, but he really caught fire late last season. He even finished over .300, I feel he'll do more or less the same in 2010

Huisj
02-05-2010, 10:47 AM
With Verlander at the top and Porcello and Scherzer from Arizona making the 2-3, the top of their rotation has some punch for sure. Gallaraga will be in there, but he struggled a lot down the stretch last year. After that, there are lots of question marks to pick from for the #5 spot. Bonderman, Willis, and Robertson are all down there, and they would have made a nice rotation 4 years ago, but I don't see any of them really contributing much again as starters. Who knows.

Getting Valverde might work, though they paid a lot for him. Zumaya can never stay healthy. Ryan Perry has the makings of a good late-inning guy. The bullpen is hit-or-miss, like most teams. It could be good or could be rough.

Indeed the offense looks rough. After Cabrera, Ordonez, and maybe Guillen, there isn't much. Ordonez hit singles last year, but his power looked down. Guillen looked old. Inge is almost a homer or nothing guy who fades late, maybe because he plays so hard that he breaks down as the season moves on. Everett can't hit. Jackson is a rookie. Rayburn/Thomas are nice role players, but giving either of them a starting job seems weak.

But then, you never know. The pitching could end up just good enough to make them stay competitive in the division.

thedudeabides
02-05-2010, 11:02 AM
As the earlier poster mentioned, the Tigers have already been rebuilding, essentially since the disastrous 2008 season. Nobody expected them to contend last year, which they did, however I feel this year's team is at best, a 78 win team. The pitching will be great, but the offense will likely be even worse than last season, and that just boggles my mind because last year was REALLY bad.

I don't think Maggs needs at bats taken away from him. He's not the batting champion he was a few years ago, but he really caught fire late last season. He even finished over .300, I feel he'll do more or less the same in 2010

Do you really think the pitching is going to be that good this year? There is a lot of potential, but 3-5 in the rotation are all questionable or need development. Also, Porcello is a very good young pitcher, but this could be a slightly difficult year for him(I have nothing bad to say about him, it's just the natural progression from a pitcher that young).

I think there is a lot of potential, but that staff may be a year or so away. Part of that is I'm not a huge believer in Sherzer in the AL yet. They are going to have to be cautious with Max and Porcello. They both are 5-6 inning pitchers at the moment. Getting that out of your #2 and #3 will put a ton of strain on the bullpen.