PDA

View Full Version : Wow this is so stupid in so many ways.

ozzie is god
02-02-2010, 08:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove09/news/story?id=4869912 :scratch:

Marqhead
02-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Right. Leave the Yankees and the BoSox alone because it's good for baseball. Leave the west coast teams alone for logistical reasons and just shuffle everyone in the middle around. What a cluster**** of an idea.

sox1970
02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
If he's looking for fairness, ditch divisions and play a balanced schedule. Problem solved.

ewokpelts
02-02-2010, 08:34 AM
wow...my brain hurt after that....

WisSoxFan
02-02-2010, 08:36 AM
If someone proposed that on a message board they would be laughed out of town. I want those three minutes back...

spawn
02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Brilliant plan. Whoever thought it was a good idea to actually post this article needs to be fired immediately.

Scottiehaswheels
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
If I were that stupid, I'd probably try to off myself and screw up on that too.

asindc
02-02-2010, 08:55 AM
This guy should not be allowed to publicly discuss baseball for at least a year. The Sox and KC in the AL East? That is about as clownish a suggestion that I have seen in awhile.

october23sp
02-02-2010, 09:07 AM
This guy is the epitome of dumb. Why even name the divisions by location then?

spawn
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
The thing that is really stupid about this is he seems to want to punish the AL Central. Right now, there are helathy rivalries in the Central, but that all gets tossed under this rotating division crap. These rivalries generate ticket revenue. This idea is beyond stupid.

GoGoCrede
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
I'd like those two minutes back, please.

doublem23
02-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Page. Views.

g0g0
02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
What the ****?!?! :fail:

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Maybe Roger Goddell should talk to him about moving any team that Brett Favre plays on to the NFC East since it makes as much sense with the Cowboys being there.

What a farce. This guy is the Jay Mariotti of ESPN. See what will stick and it will print.

munchman33
02-02-2010, 10:29 AM
I thought that was cute kiddo.

Hah. In all seriousness, divisions based on previous year's standings wouldn't be a bad idea (if you're trying to give every team an opportunity to win).

Boondock Saint
02-02-2010, 12:12 PM
The thing that is really stupid about this is he seems to want to punish the AL Central. Right now, there are helathy rivalries in the Central, but that all gets tossed under this rotating division crap. These rivalries generate ticket revenue. This idea is beyond stupid.
What other rivalries are you speaking of? They protected Yankees/Red Sox. I think that covers all baseball rivalries.

What about this system is good for baseball? In his 2010 alignment, he has the Sox traveling out to the west coast and Texas for 36 games, and that's just in the division. The Twins have to deal with the same thing in 2011, and the Royals have 27 west coast division games in 2012.

This idea is something I'd expect from a ten year old.

pythons007
02-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Seriously, just change the whole game of baseball and have everyone run the bases backwards! ESPN is an embarrassment to anyone that is a fan of any sport outside the bubble.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
i closed the window after i read this rationale.

(For those who argue that the Red Sox are the new Yankees, well, consider this: the Pirates were closer in payroll to the Red Sox in 2009 than the Red Sox were to the Yankees.)

From reading the reactions here, i think i made the right choice.

spawn
02-02-2010, 02:22 PM
What about this system is good for baseball? In his 2010 alignment, he has the Sox traveling out to the west coast and Texas for 36 games, and that's just in the division. The Twins have to deal with the same thing in 2011, and the Royals have 27 west coast division games in 2012.

This idea is something I'd expect from a ten year old.
Exactly. There is a readon the divisions are set up the way they are. It would put the teams originally from the Central at a severe disadvanatge for having to travel as much as they would. This guy is a ****ing idiot.

oeo
02-02-2010, 02:25 PM
I feel like I should be reading this on Bleacher Report, not ESPN. The guy who wrote this and the editor who let this one through should both be fired.

02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
I like how the Twins managed to avoid the AL East all three years. See, they are even lucky in stupid, made up mock drafts!

Rdy2PlayBall
02-02-2010, 05:29 PM
How come two or three seasons go by and the AL Central is "always" a 87 game winner? Does this idiot remember how good the AL Central was not that long ago??? :scratch: So whoever get's in the AL East doesn't make it? Just the Red Sox and Yankees?

I don't understand this guys system, and I thought they were originally designed by location. (until other teams made it move around)

michned
02-02-2010, 06:14 PM
We sort of do this in our fantasy league each season. Then again, it's our fantasy league.

russ99
02-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Consider the source. To the nimrods at ESPN, there are only 2 teams in the AL.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-02-2010, 08:55 PM
"The Orioles would seem to have a better shot to make the playoffs if they played in the AL Central."

Hold on! Wouldn't they have been in last in the AL Central? Even with playing the Yankees less, I don't see that as an additional 25+ wins... :scratch:

I'm pretty sure we can just forget about this guys little article and move on with life. :tongue:

thomas35forever
02-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Um, no thanks. I hope this guy has a job offer from The Onion coming.

MisterB
02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Here's my new 4-division realignment plan...

AL West: Angels, A's, Mariners, Rangers
AL Central: Twins, Royals, White Sox, Tigers
AL East: Indians, Blue Jays, Orioles, Rays
AL Über: Yankees, Red Sox

East/Central/West play the current playoff format, except the winner plays the A.L. Über winner to decide who goes to the World Series.

Makes about as much sense. :rolleyes:

MarySwiss
02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I didn't read the link when the thread was originally posted, then I changed my mind and just read it.

ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR FIRST INSTINCT, MARY!!!:cool:

C-Dawg
02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
This reminds me of the made-up plan I told my mom (who is a big Cubs fan) that Bud Selig wants to move the Royals to the NL Central (and the Cardinals to the AL) thus giving the Cubs more opportunities to win the division each year.

The worrisome thing is - she liked the idea!

TommyJohn
02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Here's my new 4-division realignment plan...

AL West: Angels, A's, Mariners, Rangers
AL Central: Twins, Royals, White Sox, Tigers
AL East: Indians, Blue Jays, Orioles, Rays
AL Über: Yankees, Red Sox

East/Central/West play the current playoff format, except the winner plays the A.L. Über winner to decide who goes to the World Series.

Makes about as much sense. :rolleyes:Better yet-let's contract all AL teams except the Yankees and Red Sox, since they are the only ones who count. They could play each other 162 times a year, which will only help the rivalry. Then they could play the ALCS against each other, too. The rest of the AL teams aren't Boston and New York, so no one will miss them.

guillensdisciple
02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
This reminds me of the made-up plan I told my mom (who is a big Cubs fan) that Bud Selig wants to move the Royals to the NL Central (and the Cardinals to the AL) thus giving the Cubs more opportunities to win the division each year.

The worrisome thing is - she liked the idea!

I have a feeling the Royals would be good over there, and the Cardinals will be very mediocre over here.

Frontman
02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I thought that was cute kiddo.

Hah. In all seriousness, divisions based on previous year's standings wouldn't be a bad idea (if you're trying to give every team an opportunity to win).

Save for the fact that not EVERY team is rotating. Leave PART of the divisions alone; move everyone else?

No, each division should have its own sense of tradition.

If you want to "fix" what's wrong with baseball, look no further than firing Bud Selig.

Ranger
02-03-2010, 09:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove09/news/story?id=4869912 :scratch:

Wow, is that a horrific idea. So, in 2010 the Sox closest division opponent would be in Texas? Right.

While this is the worst idea I've heard in about 4 days, I think it is generally a bad idea to continually re-shuffle divisions.

The only sort of yearly re-organizing that I kind of think is a good idea, is like what they do in some of the professional soccer leagues around the world (Germany does it with the Bundesliga, for example) where they take the worst two teams in the league at the end of the year, bump them down to the sub-league for the following season, and replace them with the two best teams in the sub-league. Then they repeat that process every year.

I sort of don't mind that. Some incentive for putting a good team together. But I think that probably only works in that professional sport with the way it's structured worldwide.

DSpivack
02-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Wow, is that a horrific idea. So, in 2010 the Sox closest division opponent would be in Texas? Right.

While this is the worst idea I've heard in about 4 days, I think it is generally a bad idea to continually re-shuffle divisions.

The only sort of yearly re-organizing that I kind of think is a good idea, is like what they do in some of the professional soccer leagues around the world (Germany does it with the Bundesliga, for example) where they take the worst two teams in the league at the end of the year, bump them down to the sub-league for the following season, and replace them with the two best teams in the sub-league. Then they repeat that process every year.

I sort of don't mind that. Some incentive for putting a good team together. But I think that probably only works in that professional sport with the way it's structured worldwide.

Yeah, it's an intriguing idea, but just wouldn't work with American sports leagues, not even MLS.

Imagine, though, a 3-game playoff series in October between the Nationals and Royals. Loser goes to AAA. :tongue:

ComiskeyBrewer
02-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I have a feeling the Royals would be good over there, and the Cardinals will be very mediocre over here.

Royals would probably win 3-5 more games in the NL, and the Cards would probably lose 5-7 more, assuming the cards wouldn't add another big bat for the DH spot.

Ranger
02-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah, it's an intriguing idea, but just wouldn't work with American sports leagues, not even MLS.

Imagine, though, a 3-game playoff series in October between the Nationals and Royals. Loser goes to AAA. :tongue:

The only reason it wouldn't work is because the AAA teams don't stand alone. They have affiliations with the MLB teams and they essentially "share" players. Baseball would need a second league of independent teams.

Nellie_Fox
02-04-2010, 12:14 AM
The only reason it wouldn't work is because the AAA teams don't stand alone. They have affiliations with the MLB teams and they essentially "share" players. Baseball would need a second league of independent teams.It's not the only reason. They don't build MLB-sized ballparks for AAA teams, and they aren't likely to start on the outside chance that they might get promoted some day.

Ranger
02-04-2010, 03:14 AM
It's not the only reason. They don't build MLB-sized ballparks for AAA teams, and they aren't likely to start on the outside chance that they might get promoted some day.

Well, yeah, but every other minor reason has it's roots in the fact that they are not independent, professional teams. Their main purpose of existence is to supply the big league club with talent. Most of those teams wouldn't even really draw much interest if it weren't for the "future stars" aspect.

The Critic
02-04-2010, 07:03 AM
I have a great idea for shaking up the game of baseball!
In 2010, have baserunners go from home to third to first to second to home to score a run!
Then, in 2011, it'll be home to second to first to third to home.
In 2012, it'll be home to first (which is at the right field wall) to third (which is next to the dugout) to second (which is on a little red wagon which can be pulled around by defenders) to home.

...except for the Yankees and Red Sox, of course, because they are the epitome of tradition and must play the game the traditional way.

:redneck

C-Dawg
02-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Then, in 2011, it'll be home to second to first to third to home.

I like it! And maybe they can introduce some sort of two-base steals, such as first-to-third, skipping second entirely! Runners would have to touch or tag the pitchers mound instead of second.

We're onto something here!

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-04-2010, 07:30 AM
I think air pocketed land mines should be installed in the outfields of all MLB parks for teams ESPN deems not "national" enough. The land mines would go off during play when stepped on by a player, shooting that player into the air allowing all fans to shoot him with Nerf guns. The fan that hits the player on his Achilles Heel gets to manage that team for the remainder of the game.

The Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers and Red Sox are exempt. Their fans will be allowed to picnic on the field during games and will be part of the action. In fact, Yankee/Red Sox fans will actually be allowed to not only play short center and be counted for HoF consideration, the player with the best BA will be allowed to schedule next week's programming on ESPN.

I didn't teal any of it - when ESPN teals that POS article, I'll teal mine.

asindc
02-04-2010, 07:47 AM
I think air pocketed land mines should be installed in the outfields of all MLB parks for teams ESPN deems not "national" enough. The land mines would go off during play when stepped on by a player, shooting that player into the air allowing all fans to shoot him with Nerf guns. The fan that hits the player on his Achilles Heel gets to manage that team for the remainder of the game.

The Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers and Red Sox are exempt. Their fans will be allowed to picnic on the field during games and will be part of the action. In fact, Yankee/Red Sox fans will actually be allowed to not only play short center and be counted for HoF consideration, the player with the best BA will be allowed to schedule next week's programming on ESPN.

:thumbsup:

Frontman
02-04-2010, 08:03 AM

That almost sounds like part II of the Scott Boras commercial for Sportscenter when he was representing Scott Van Pelt.

"We're going to need the landmines."

Mendoza Line
02-04-2010, 08:29 AM
He should have waited to post this idea on April 1st. At least then he could have the excuse that it was a joke..

soxfanatlanta
02-04-2010, 08:40 AM

You should use your creativity as a force for good. :D:

cheezheadsoxfan
02-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I only scanned the article and I felt an IQ drop. :rolleyes: