PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Free Agents

SouthSideLove
02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
As many of you know, next year's free agent class is going to be amazing. You have older guys like Jeter, and guys in their prime like Pujols, who will be on the open market looking for teams to sign them.

Peter Gammons says that he is almost certain that both of these men will resign with their teams (even if that means a pay cut).

My question to all of you is this...Is the following scenario possible?

Jeter is let go by the Yankees, citing age issues. Pujols is signed to the Yankees to play third, while A-Rod is moved to his original position at SS, keeping Texiera at first.

While this would single-handedly be the most greedy move ever by the Yankees, we have seen them do worse.

Thoughts?

doublem23
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
If Pujols signs with the Yankees, he's going to be the DH. They're not moving him to 3B.

SOXfnNlansing
02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
If Pujols signs with the Yankees, he's going to be the DH. They're not moving him to 3B.

Pujols would never DH. He wants to be a first ballot HOF'er (see Big Frank's bio).

doublem23
02-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Pujols would never DH. He wants to be a first ballot HOF'er (see Big Frank's bio).

If Pujols keeps up his act for another 10 years, regardless of position, he'll be a first-ballot HOF no matter what.

balke
02-01-2010, 08:56 PM
If Pujols goes to the Yankees, I quit watching baseball.

Pujols, Big Hurt, Griffey - 3 best hitters to escape steroids?

jabrch
02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
There is no way they'd play Pujols at 3B. I don't buy it.

soxinem1
02-01-2010, 10:59 PM
There is no way they'd play Pujols at 3B. I don't buy it.

Very true. If they would sign him, Tex would have to move to the OF, as he already proved he cannot play 3B. But why do you move a superior defensive 1B?

I do not see Albert as a fit.

For one, Jeter will be a lifetime NYY.

Two, why would the Yankmees sign Pujols for $30 million a season, then put him at a position he hasn't played since he was a rookie? Plus, he is way too big to play 3B.

And three, ARod's days at SS are over.

DumpJerry
02-01-2010, 11:11 PM

Jeter is let go by the Yankees,

Thoughts?
Not happening.

Boondock Saint
02-01-2010, 11:14 PM
As many of you know, next year's free agent class is going to be amazing. You have older guys like Jeter, and guys in their prime like Pujols, who will be on the open market looking for teams to sign them.

Peter Gammons says that he is almost certain that both of these men will resign with their teams (even if that means a pay cut).

Jeter is let go by the Yankees, citing age issues. Pujols is signed to the Yankees to play third, while A-Rod is moved to his original position at SS, keeping Texiera at first.

While this would single-handedly be the most greedy move ever by the Yankees, we have seen them do worse.

Thoughts?

Pujols isn't going anywhere. At least, that's what my gut tells me.

chisox616
02-01-2010, 11:19 PM
The Cards didn't sign Holliday to replace Pujols. They signed him to keep Pujols.

doublem23
02-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Pujols isn't going anywhere. At least, that's what my gut tells me.

If he's leaving St. Louis, he's either heading to Boston or the Cubs. Both could be in the market for 1B and both have deep pockets.

Unless they can find a way to keep Albert and Teixeira happy simultaneously, I just don't see the Yankees as a good fit.

soxinem1
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
One team that may be a major player in the 2010 off-season is DET.

They will have Willis, Bonderman, Maggs, Robertson, and Guillen, among others, coming off the books.

That is 40-50% of the 2010 payroll (thus far).

That is a ton of $$$$ that wil be freed up.

Craig Grebeck
02-01-2010, 11:55 PM

Thoughts?
No on all counts.