PDA

View Full Version : Jon Miller wins Frick Award

Sockinchisox
02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/hallfame/2010-02-01-jon-miller-frick-award_N.htm

I'm happy for him, I've always enjoyed his work.

asindc
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
One of Angelos' biggest blunders as Baltimore's owner was to fire Miller. Some fans here still haven't quite gotten over it.

Bobby Thigpen
02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
He's alright. I don't like the way he tries to over pronounce or make everyone's name as if it is Spanish.

Konerko doesn't have a rolling R.

tstrike2000
02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
I've always like Jon Miller as, to me, he has one of those voices that really reminds me sometimes of why I love listening to baseball broadcasts during the summer.

Dibbs
02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
He's alright. I don't like the way he tries to over pronounce or make everyone's name as if it is Spanish.

Konerko doesn't have a rolling R.

I must have missed him saying Konerko with a rolling R. I do hear him pronounce the names of those from Latin America as they would sound in Spanish.

I enjoy Miller. This award is well deserved.

PKalltheway
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I've always like Jon Miller as, to me, he has one of those voices that really reminds me sometimes of why I love listening to baseball broadcasts during the summer.
Agreed 100%. He always makes games a lot of fun to listen to. Congrats to Miller, a well-deserved honor. :smile:

BleacherBandit
02-01-2010, 07:25 PM
This is great for him. Jon Miller is the voice of baseball, IMO.

EMachine10
02-01-2010, 07:36 PM
This is great for him. Jon Miller is the voice of baseball, IMO.
Agreed. I can hear his voice now, and it gets me excited for baseball season.

NDSox12
02-01-2010, 09:28 PM
He deserves this award just for putting up with Joe Morgan for so many years. I think he's one of the best around.

veeter
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
The guy is awesome. He does his homework for those Sunday night games. He also, in a VERY professional way, questions crazy Joe Morgan on some of his goofy thoughts. There's nobody better.

RadioheadRocks
02-02-2010, 12:21 AM
I must have missed him saying Konerko with a rolling R. I do hear him pronounce the names of those from Latin America as they would sound in Spanish.

True, but it's nowhere near as bad as hearing Kirk Gimenez on ESPN exaggerating the living HELL out of those Spanish pronunciations. :angry:

Bobby Thigpen
02-02-2010, 12:32 PM

I enjoy Miller. This award is well deserved.
He's done it a couple times. Just a minor annoyance of mine about him. He seems to over accentuate the Spanish stuff and have it bleed over to non Spanish names.

Other than that he's pretty good. I don't watch much of him because I usually don't want to watch the teams that are on there, and I really don't want to listen to Joe Morgan if at all possible.

hi im skot
02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
You can come up with some fun drinking games based on how many times he uses the word "slugger" during a game.

WSox597
02-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Isn't this the same guy who refused to say "World Champions" when the White Sox won the Series?

At first I thought it was a White Sox jab, but it seems to be some sort of statement by him. He was a soccer announcer before baseball.

AnkleSox
02-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I enjoyed his book "Confessions of a Baseball Purist." Easy read with some entertaining anecdotes.

DaveFeelsRight
02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
the way he pronounced "uribe" annoyed the **** out of me.

Railsplitter
02-05-2010, 04:24 PM

That's why I'd like to see him do the NHL. He'd have fun with the Russians, Swedes, Czechs, French- Canadians, etc.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-05-2010, 07:12 PM
the way he pronounced "uribe" annoyed the **** out of me.

Yeah, he pronounced it "oo-ribe", which is actually how it is pronounced in Spanish. "Yur-ibe" is the American variant of it.

It didn't bother me that much, honestly, and I enjoy his work for the most part. He does have a "baseball" voice.

tick53
02-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Jon Miller's a douchebag.