PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the Twins

Rockabilly
02-01-2010, 11:41 AM
it looks like that they are very close to signing Mauer to an extension. I like to see a player take a lot less money from his own team.

DirtySox
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Good for the Twins and baseball, bad for the AL Central.

I'm a big fan of Joe Mauer, just not when he opposes the Sox.

asindc
02-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I have said all along that I would be shocked if he doesn't re-sign with them. It just makes too much sense for both parties. However much more money he could probably get on the open market will be made up for with off the field income and general goodwill for being the Ripken of the Twinkees.

white sox bill
02-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Looks like its a safe bet Joe will be terrorizing us for yrs to come. Isn't he a St Paul boy? I love AJ but would be glad to have him on our Sox*

*This means KW will acquire him at the deadline 2022

DSpivack
02-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I know it would only hurt us in the long run, but I'm glad he's staying there.

JermaineDye05
02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
As much as I hate seeing Mauer in the Central, for some reason I like it better than having to see him sign with the Yankees or Red Sox.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-01-2010, 12:12 PM
As much as I hate seeing Mauer in the Central, for some reason I like it better than having to see him sign with the Yankees or Red Sox.

I feel the same way. I'd rather a small market team keep their best player than to let him go either one of those two teams.

soxinem1
02-01-2010, 12:28 PM

When it becomes official, I will feel the same way, though I know poor old BOS and NYY and a certain agent will not...

ma-gaga
02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Breaking details, Radio rumor only:

'Agreed in principle to a 10 year deal.'

pfft. I apologize, I expected that I could announce a real announcement...

:gulp:

doublem23
02-01-2010, 02:53 PM

That's because Boston or New York could afford to surround him with the talent to make a legitimate juggernaut. In Minnesota, Joe has to carry the Twins on his back.

KMcMahon817
02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Looks like its a safe bet Joe will be terrorizing us for yrs to come. Isn't he a St Paul boy? I love AJ but would be glad to have him on our Sox*

*This means KW will acquire him at the deadline 2022

Yes, he is. Attended Cretin Durham Hall High School in St. Paul. Glad to see not everyone is all about the money, not glad to see that that player in on the Twinkies.

Boondock Saint
02-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Yes, he is. Attended Cretin Durham Hall High School in St. Paul. Glad to see not everyone is all about the money, not glad to see that that player in on the Twinkies.

When you play baseball on such a high level, you don't have to worry about the money. The money is coming to you no matter what choice you make.

Oblong
02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah this is good news. How can you not like a power hitting catcher who wins batting titles too? Plus he wears the old school catching helmet. I like the length of the deal. We need more guys sticking with their original team. I hate seeing a great player have long stretches with one (or even two) teams covering like 16 years, then at the end you see 2 or 3 teams mixed in, just hanging on. It ruins their legacy in my opinion.

This is good for baseball.

KMcMahon817
02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
When you play baseball on such a high level, you don't have to worry about the money. The money is coming to you no matter what choice you make.

Obviously. The point was that he could get much more somewhere else. There is simply no chance the Twins are paying him some ridiculous amount of money per year that he could get on the open market. It's not like I was inferring that he is going to need to work after retiring from baseball.

thomas35forever
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Mauer represents a type of player that is on the brink of extinction, which is a player that wishes to spend his whole career with one team for a long time. Here are players other than Mauer who have never played anywhere else and have been in the league for a good period of time:

Derek Jeter
Mariano Rivera
Jorge Posada
Mark Buehrle
Ichiro
Albert Pujols
Todd Helton
Chipper Jones
Brandon Inge

Pretty short list, huh?

jabrch
02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
10 years?

Um...I hope there is some sort of club protection there.

I am not a fan of long term deals like this - too much risk. But I am sure this is what they had to do to keep him from looking at his FA options. Good for him - good for them - as long as he remains healthy or the contract protects the club somehow.

doublem23
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
I am not a fan of long term deals like this - too much risk. But I am sure this is what they had to do to keep him from looking at his FA options. Good for him - good for them - as long as he remains healthy or the contract protects the club somehow.

That's the kind of risk you have to take when you can't afford to match dollars with the Yankees or Red Sox.

I wonder how much longer the Twins will let Mauer catch if he's really there's until 2019 now. I know he's defensively solid behind the plate, but that abuse isn't good on their long-term investment.

KMcMahon817
02-01-2010, 03:14 PM
That's the kind of risk you have to take when you can't afford to match dollars with the Yankees or Red Sox.

I wonder how much longer the Twins will let Mauer catch if he's really there's until 2019 now. I know he's defensively solid behind the plate, but that abuse isn't good on their long-term investment.

And he has already had knee issues. The Twins have a solid catching prospect in Jose Morales. Some of you may remember him, as he tore us apart at the plate this year, including a walk off single. The Twins may give him a shot at some point and move Mauer to third if his knee issues continue.

asindc
02-01-2010, 03:30 PM

This is another reason why I wonder how many ABs Thome will get there. One of the reasons the Twinkees fell short to the Sox in 2008 is that Morneau played all 163 games... and it showed the last two weeks of the season. So they already have LH Kubel getting the majority of ABs at DH, then they have to find DH ABs for LH Morneau, LH Mauer, and LH Thome, along with RH Cuddyer.

I suspect that Mauer will be catching only against righties within two seasons.

Sockinchisox
02-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Multiple sources are saying that the report is not accurate.

http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/8514431354

jabrch
02-01-2010, 03:51 PM

Yeah - I said they had to do it...I agree with you. And they really had to make every effort to keep him. He very well may be the single biggest "Fan Favorite" in all of sports - surely in the team picture with Payton Manning, Derek Jeter, Kobe Bryant, etc.

I'm sure they have discussed with him a plan - would probably be one of the details they wanted to all be in agreement on before committing to such a long term. He's so athletic that the good news is that if they move him before wrecking his knees, they could probably move him to 3B or RF where he would still have positional value defensively as well, and not relegate him to DH, 1b or LF.

I am by no means wishing the Minnesota Thome's well. But everything about Mauer himself seems admirable/likeable. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was unlucky to have not been drafted by the Sox. :-) Seriously - good story about a local kid getting to play out his (presumedly) entire (presumedly) HOF career with one team.

Southsider101
02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
It also helps that Joe Mauer's agent is Ron Shapiro. I usually don't give props to agents, but this guy is a class act. The Scott Boras' of the world could learn a few things from him.

Twins_Morneau
02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Great day all around, I knew he wasn't going anywhere tho. Both he and Morneau have said they want to be lifetime Twins.

doublem23
02-01-2010, 06:01 PM
It also helps that Joe Mauer's agent is Ron Shapiro. I usually don't give props to agents, but this guy is a class act. The Scott Boras' of the world could learn a few things from him.

I'm sure Boras and his clientele of 175 baseball players, many of them the highest paid in the game, are sobbing. :cool:

Mauer could teach the rest of Major League ballplayers a thing or two.

Nellie_Fox
02-01-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't think Mauer will be hurting. The numbers I've read in the sports gossip up here is ten years at 200 million. Not what the Yankees would have given him, but he can live pretty well in Minnesota on that kind of change.

DumpJerry
02-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't think Mauer will be hurting. The numbers I've read in the sports gossip up here is ten years at 200 million. Not what the Yankees would have given him, but he can live pretty well in Minnesota on that kind of change.
That gets you a lot of ice fishing huts!

oeo
02-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Wow, I'd be surprised at that much money. Could end up being a good thing for the AL Central, seeing as they will have a hard time building a team around him at the back end of that contract, assuming it's backloaded.

veeter
02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I too think this is good for baseball. Joe can be a great player for the Twins, while the Sox win championships. It's a win, win.

StillMissOzzie
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
10 years?

Um...I hope there is some sort of club protection there.

Over 10 years, Joe could catch for a few more, maybe play 3B for a year or two, move over to 1B for a few years, and then finish it off with a few years as DH. I am much more leery of long term deals on pitchers than on position players.

Besides, the Twinkies are obviously doing this deal out of spite since they couldn't afford that Mark Prior guy who got drafted ahead of him.

SMO

Nellie_Fox
02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Besides, the Twinkies are obviously doing this deal out of spite since they couldn't afford that Mark Prior guy who got drafted ahead of him.
Prior wasn't drafted ahead of Mauer. The Twins had the #1 pick and passed on Prior because they knew he wanted more money than they were willing to give him. They took the home-town kid instead. They took a lot of grief initially for being cheap, but it's worked out pretty well for them.

jabrch
02-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Over 10 years, Joe could catch for a few more, maybe play 3B for a year or two, move over to 1B for a few years, and then finish it off with a few years as DH. I am much more leery of long term deals on pitchers than on position players.

Lots of things COULD happen. But without the ability to insure a contract, it is a major risk. Maybe it is one they had to take to sign him, but a major risk none-the-less.

Nellie_Fox
02-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Maybe it is one they had to take to sign him...There's nothing maybe about it. Sports talk radio up here refers to him as "baby Jesus." The Twins either have to get him wrapped up or face a fan revolt.

bunty_doghunter
02-02-2010, 05:28 AM

SMO

How awful for the Twins taking Mauer instead of Prior.

Marqhead
02-02-2010, 07:00 AM
How awful for the Twins taking Mauer instead of Prior.

Not as awful as your selection of a teal font color.

HebrewHammer
02-02-2010, 07:51 AM
I can only imagine what Tawmmy form Quinzee will say about this...

"HOW CAN JOE MAWAHHH NAWT SIGN WITH OU-WA BASEBALL CELTICS! WE HAVE THE MOST LOYAL FANS IN THE U-NI-VERSE! MINNESOWTAHHHH DOESN'T HAVE OU-WA HISTORY OR TRADITION! NO ONE DENIES THIS! CLEARLY, HE MUST NAWT HAVE GAWTTEN THE MEMO THAT THE MIGHTY BASEBALL PAHHHHHHTS NEEDED A CATCHER TO LEAD US INTO THE 21ST CENTURY!"

bunty_doghunter
02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Not as awful as your selection of a teal font color.
:o: That's what I get for posting while wearing a welding helmet.

Marqhead
02-02-2010, 09:06 AM
:o: That's what I get for posting while wearing a welding helmet.

:hijacked: Haha, in what environment are you posting on WSI and welding at the same time?

TwinKess
02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Yup, I can't wait to hear that we've locked up Mega-Hunk Joe Mauer. The decade thing scares the crap out of me however, along with having so much money tied up in one contract. The new stadium will increase our payroll though.

hdog1017
02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
As a baseball fan, I am happy to see that Mauer will not be playing for the Yankees or the Carmines.

Rohan
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
As a baseball fan, I am happy to see that Mauer will not be playing for the Yankees or the Carmines.

As a White Sox fan, I weep at the fact that we have to see this guy several times throughout the season :whiner:

samurai_sox
02-03-2010, 04:24 PM
As a White Sox fan, I weep at the fact that we have to see this guy several times throughout the season :whiner:

Uh...its been like that for quite a while now...