PDA

View Full Version : Damon and not-so-super Scott

Waysouthsider
01-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Well, now that it seems like Scott really misplayed Damon's contract negotiations, I wonder if this will have any impact at all on Scott's future? Its a pretty visible failure on his part. Anyone think GM's are finally hip to his schemes or that this will have any real effect on how Boras' future plays out?

http://bases.nbcsports.com/2010/01/scott-boras-tries-to-spin-the-damon-situation-and-fails.html.php

oeo
02-01-2010, 12:29 AM
This could work to our advantage, so I'm loving it.

WhiteSox5187
02-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Well, now that it seems like Scott really misplayed Damon's contract negotiations, I wonder if this will have any impact at all on Scott's future? Its a pretty visible failure on his part. Anyone think GM's are finally hip to his schemes or that this will have any real effect on how Boras' future plays out?

http://bases.nbcsports.com/2010/01/scott-boras-tries-to-spin-the-damon-situation-and-fails.html.php

Boras has over played his hand for the likes of the Johnny Damons and Joe Credes of the world, but he is still going to rake in big big BIG bucks for his A list clients, and as long as he does that, players will still want him as an agent.

DumpJerry
02-01-2010, 01:00 AM
I don't think Borass is having any trouble sleeping at night.

NLaloosh
02-01-2010, 05:04 AM
What he got the Cardinals to give Holiday more than makes up for these piddling mistakes.

They must have paid about $ 30 mil. more than they had to.

And, once again, the Yankees are the ones that can tell Boras where to go because they control the market more than anyone. They can get almost any player while other teams, like the Sox, cannot.

jabrch
02-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Boras has an occasional miss - but in general his clients are more than satisfied with his work. He does a better job for guys he has more leverage with - that's no surprise. In cases like this, it's instinct/intuition/luck.

Boras got Damon 22mm the past two years. He will still get him a few more million this year. I won't shed a tear for either of them.

asindc
02-01-2010, 09:41 AM
What he got the Cardinals to give Holiday more than makes up for these piddling mistakes.

They must have paid about $ 30 mil. more than they had to.

And, once again, the Yankees are the ones that can tell Boras where to go because they control the market more than anyone. They can get almost any player while other teams, like the Sox, cannot.

I think that is the key point here. The Yanks finally telling Boras it is not going to put up with his nonsense. That seemed to really surprise Boras and it left him scrambling to create a faux bidding war amongst teams that are not all that interested to begin with (Oakland, Atlanta). If the top spending teams begin to consistently tell Boras they are sticking to a budget with certain players (a la KW), then the game will have changed for Boras.

downstairs
02-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Nah, everyone knows he's a high-stakes gambler. But he doesn't miss enough to be considered reckless.

jabrch
02-01-2010, 10:00 AM
If the top spending teams begin to consistently tell Boras they are sticking to a budget with certain players (a la KW), then the game will have changed for Boras.

I wouldn't take a 35 yo Johnny Damon who plays below average D and who's offensive numbers are highly suspicious of being inflated due to New Yankee Stadium as a good test case for owners sticking to a budget. I'd say it may be an illustration that they are going to hold the line on mid-tier players. Boras doesn't make his name with mid-tier players. He is best with his stars, where there is little substitute. There are a half dozen or more guys who were FAs this year who are similar to Damon. The Yanks felt OK with Winn. JD is still there. Thome, GA, Vlad, etc. Damon doesn't stand out in this crowd, so I don't take this as evidence that owners have put Boras down a notch.

asindc
02-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't take a 35 yo Johnny Damon who plays below average D and who's offensive numbers are highly suspicious of being inflated due to New Yankee Stadium as a good test case for owners sticking to a budget. I'd say it may be an illustration that they are going to hold the line on mid-tier players. Boras doesn't make his name with mid-tier players. He is best with his stars, where there is little substitute. There are a half dozen or more guys who were FAs this year who are similar to Damon. The Yanks felt OK with Winn. JD is still there. Thome, GA, Vlad, etc. Damon doesn't stand out in this crowd, so I don't take this as evidence that owners have put Boras down a notch.

Oh, I'm not saying this move is a game changer by itself. I think it would take a few more cases like this among NYY, Boston, LAAAAA, and the Cubs before Boras realizes he has to adjust. I do think it could happen with 2nd and 3rd tier players, though. Just the fact that Boras tried to sell Damon as a top tier player at this stage in his career ($13 million? Seriously?) tells me that he was caught completely off guard when NYY told him no more than $6 million with incentives. I think he was basing his opening move for Damon off of what he got for Holliday.

jabrch
02-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I think he was basing his opening move for Damon off of what he got for Holliday.

Makes sense - and appears to be a miss. Will be interesting at the end of the day to see how much it costs Damon. To save face, I'm guessing Boras finds him a deal with incentives based on games played and performance that gets him a decent base and a chance to exceeed that by a decent margin.

#1swisher
02-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Damon "I love New York" on WFAN

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/johnny_quest_4zJ6NgEdviywU9Cl4SRvyL

russ99
02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
And that's what Boras is all about - setting up a fake bidding war to inflate the signing amount.

I'm still shocked at the extent of how much the Cardinals caved on Holliday.

Corlose 15
02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I wonder how much these comments by Damon about how much he likes New York are preventing other teams from going near him. Maybe teams are getting the feeling that he wouldn't really give a damn anywhere but the Bronx.