PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the conditions for getting a save?


StepsInSC
06-13-2002, 09:42 PM
This is from ESPN.com's Useless information article....

If you're keeping track of those Cheapest Saves of the 2000 standings, you may have noticed Boston's Chris Haney saved an 11-0 win last Wednesday, thanks to the miracle of the all-forgiving save rule.

That does tie teammate Rolando Arrojo for Cheapest Save of 2002 (Arrojo saved a 14-3 win April 16). But the Elias Sports Bureau reports it was still four short of the clubhouse leader in the Cheapest Saves of the 2000s competition.

Todd Erdos, then of the Padres, saved a 16-1 game on Aug. 22, 2000. (Most people remember that game as The Night Derek Bell Pitched -- and we use the term, "pitched," loosely.)


What is the "all-fogiving save rule" that allows someone to get a save with an 11-0 lead? I thought it had to be a 3 or less run lead but obviously there is some stipulation I don't know about, anyone??

Tavarin
06-13-2002, 09:48 PM
I believe for a save, you need to come in in the 8th or 9th w/ your team having a lead of 3 runs or less.

Daver
06-13-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Tavarin
I believe for a save, you need to come in in the 8th or 9th w/ your team having a lead of 3 runs or less.


Bingo.

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by daver



Bingo. i might be wrong on this, if i am, pls let me know but in addition think its with the possiblity of the a scoring run on base.

Tavarin
06-13-2002, 10:02 PM
maybe in the 8th, but not in the 9th. How many times did you see Foulke come in and go 1,2,3 and get the save.(in 2000 and 2001 of course)

Daver
06-13-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i might be wrong on this, if i am, pls let me know but in addition think its with the possiblity of the a scoring run on base.

You would be wrong LDF.

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by daver


You would be wrong LDF. then in that case........ i am wrong......... :D:

my bad.

Jjav829
06-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
This is from ESPN.com's Useless information article....



What is the "all-fogiving save rule" that allows someone to get a save with an 11-0 lead? I thought it had to be a 3 or less run lead but obviously there is some stipulation I don't know about, anyone??

A pitcher who pitches the last 3 innings of the game effectively can earn a save regardless of what the lead is.

Tavarin
06-13-2002, 10:16 PM
A pitcher who pitches the last 3 innings of the game effectively can earn a save regardless of what the lead is.

No, the lead does matter. If they come in and have an 11 run lead, they dont get the save. If they come in w/ a 5 run lead, and allow 3 runs to be scored, they don't get the save. If they come in w/ a 3 run lead, they get the save if they don't give up that lead

Jjav829
06-13-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Tavarin


No, the lead does matter. If they come in and have an 11 run lead, they dont get the save. If they come in w/ a 5 run lead, and allow 3 runs to be scored, they don't get the save. If they come in w/ a 3 run lead, they get the save if they don't give up that lead

I answered the original question at hand. How can a pitcher earn a save in a game where there is an 11 run lead? The answer. A pitcher can be credited with a save for pitching the final 3 innings of a game effecitvely.

Daver
06-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829


I answered the original question at hand. How can a pitcher earn a save in a game where there is an 11 run lead? The answer. A pitcher can be credited with a save for pitching the final 3 innings of a game effecitvely.

No he would get a hold nowadays,not a save.

rmusacch
06-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Tavarin


No, the lead does matter. If they come in and have an 11 run lead, they dont get the save. If they come in w/ a 5 run lead, and allow 3 runs to be scored, they don't get the save. If they come in w/ a 3 run lead, they get the save if they don't give up that lead

I believe that in order to get a save, the lead can be more than three as long as the tieing run is at bat or on deck.

Jjav829
06-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Here is the box score from the Red Sox game where Arrojo earned a save in a 14-3 game. Check out his line in the box score.

Arrojo (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=220416114)

rmusacch
06-13-2002, 10:31 PM
I found this on mlb.com

Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
(a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
(b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat,
or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen
he faces); or
(c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Jjav829
06-13-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I found this on mlb.com

Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
(a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
(b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat,
or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen
he faces); or
(c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Theres your official rule which I would have posted next.

Dadawg_77
06-13-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I found this on mlb.com

Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
(a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
(b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat,
or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen
he faces); or
(c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Damn you best me to it A HLD is when a pitcher comes in durring a save opp and doesn't give up the tying run nor (of course) gets the save. Oh you need to pitch at least 1/3 of an inning

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I found this on mlb.com

Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
(a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
(b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat,
or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen
he faces); or
(c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game. strike up the band....... i was some what right........ :D:

i sometimes surprise myself......

KruseControl04
06-14-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829


A pitcher who pitches the last 3 innings of the game effectively can earn a save regardless of what the lead is.

Yeah... That's true too.

Spiff
06-14-2002, 05:23 PM
I always thought it was finishing the game, getting as many or more outs than you had runs ahead when you came into the game. For instance, Arrojo came in with a seven-run lead and got 9 outs. Or Foulke comes in with a three-run lead and gets three outs. But maybe that's just something I made up and started believing. :)