PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee

hi im skot
01-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Don't shoot the messenger...just an article (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/discussion-carlos-lee.html) found on MLB Rumors.

JB98
01-31-2010, 12:27 AM
"This scenario is, admittedly, a longshot."

Clearly.

JermaineDye05
01-31-2010, 12:39 AM
I'd be for it.

For some reason I seem to remember Ozzie having issues with Carlos. I could be mistaken though.

StillMissOzzie
01-31-2010, 12:43 AM
I'd be for it.

For some reason I seem to remember Ozzie having issues with Carlos. I could be mistaken though.

IIRC, he was upset at C Lee for tip-toeing into second base instead of making an effort to break up a double play.

SMO
:gulp:

Tragg
01-31-2010, 12:54 AM
Dude on there thinks Carlos lee will nab the Astros 3 prospects from some team's top 10...they'll be lucky to get one.

Nellie_Fox
01-31-2010, 01:00 AM
IIRC, he was upset at C Lee for tip-toeing into second base instead of making an effort to break up a double play.
Also there were a couple of times that he stood at home plate admiring a "home run" that hit the wall, and Caballo only ended up with a single.

Lillian
01-31-2010, 03:40 AM
Why do people who should know better continue to speculate about the Sox acquiring another right handed hitter? The one significant void on this team is a left handed bat, preferably a power bat. They won't spend money, or trade prospects, for anything but a left handed, middle of the order hitter.

Jaffar
01-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Why do people who should know better continue to speculate about the Sox acquiring another right handed hitter? The one significant void on this team is a left handed bat, preferably a power bat. They won't spend money, or trade prospects, for anything but a left handed, middle of the order hitter.

Lillian, don't go bringing logic and reason to a thread about mlbtraderumors. :wink:

russ99
01-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Lee's not going anywhere. He has a full NTC, loves playing in Houston, produces at a high level consistent with his contract and is a fan favorite and gate draw.

Frankly, he's a player the Astros should hold on to, even if new ownership (when it happens) decides to reload and deal some of the higher paid players.

I'm no fan of GM Wade and owner McLane, but even I see the futility of a full Astros rebuild.

Brian26
01-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Caballo is signed for $19 million a season for 2010, 2011, 2012. That's a contract for a one-dimensional power hitter who was a butcher in LF before the Sox traded him in '04, minus about 30 extra pounds he's added since then (i.e., the type of player Ozzie wants no part of this year). Lots of reasons why there's no way in hell this is going to happen, notwithstanding Lee's inability to bust up a double play in the Jamie Burke-Torii Hunter game.

The Sox could have signed both Dye and Thome for a quarter of what CLee will earn this year.

voodoochile
01-31-2010, 09:53 AM

He also can't play RF which would mean Pierre in CF and Rios in RF whenver they wanted to give TCQ a day off.

Zisk77
01-31-2010, 10:34 AM

Because the righty/lefty thing is not real important. Having a real good hitter is important. Especially when rh hitters usually don't struggle against rh pitchers.

See the phillies last year. The lost Burrell and are a left hand hitting club. They didn't sign the best available rh hitter to replace him, they signed the best hitter Ibanez and got more Left handed.

I would Love Carlos back as a DH, but I don't think its going to happen.

Tragg
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
produces at a high level consistent with his contract.

He had basically the same production as Konerko did last year. Same age too.

soxinem1
01-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Don't shoot the messenger...just an article (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/discussion-carlos-lee.html) found on MLB Rumors.

Pure speculation by the writer. However........

They overpaid for him, true, but there is not a contending team in MLB that would not try to make that work. Unlike Vernon Wells, CLee has been as consistent of an offensive performer as anyone.

Lillian
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Because the righty/lefty thing is not real important. Having a real good hitter is important. Especially when rh hitters usually don't struggle against rh pitchers.

See the phillies last year. The lost Burrell and are a left hand hitting club. They didn't sign the best available rh hitter to replace him, they signed the best hitter Ibanez and got more Left handed.

I would Love Carlos back as a DH, but I don't think its going to happen.

I agree with you that baseball has come to place far too much importance on the "righty/lefty thing". For me personally, if a guy hits pitchers who throw from his side of the plate, it shouldn't matter. In fact I wrote an article several years ago explaining why it actually can be advantageous to the hitter when facing a pitcher who throws from his side. But that's too big of a topic to open in this discussion.

However, baseball has a different idea about the subject these days.
And given the present philosophy, having a dangerous guy in the middle of the lineup who can bat from the left side can force opposing managers to burn through the Pen, as they try to match relievers up against various right handed and left handed hitters.

Moreover, having a better balance of right and left handed hitters in the lineup keeps the pitcher from getting too comfortable in the same "groove".

DumpJerry
01-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Clee would not want to be a DH.

It's too hard to check out the women from Home Plate compared to ease of RF.:rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
01-31-2010, 03:50 PM

SMO

IIRC, that was the game that Toriiiiiii Hunter scored from third on a Sac Fly. He practically knocked Jami Burke into
the next area code when he bowled him over at the plate.At the time, the Twinkies holding an 8-2 advantage.

jabrch
01-31-2010, 04:37 PM
IIRC, that was the game that Toriiiiiii Hunter scored from third on a Sac Fly. He practically knocked Jami Burke into
the next area code when he bowled him over at the plate.At the time, the Twinkies holding an 8-2 advantage.

I was thinking the same thing - and btw, he bowled him over outside of the plate, going out of his way to make contact. It was clean - but it was aggressive - a play Carlos Lee never would have made.

SOXSINCE'70
01-31-2010, 05:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing - and btw, he bowled him over outside of the plate, going out of his way to make contact. It was clean - but it was aggressive - a play Carlos Lee never would have made.

IIRC, Ozzie made mention of this in his postgame press conference.Without naming names, he called out Carlos for that "tip-toe" slide while trying to break up a double play.

SoxNation05
01-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Clee would not want to be a DH.

It's too hard to check out the women from Home Plate compared to ease of RF.:rolleyes:
Lee plays LF.

fram40
02-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Didnt Lee's failure to slide hard occur the next day?

doublem23
02-01-2010, 03:16 PM

LH or RH it doesn't matter, the Sox have some serious lack of pop in the lineup.

Taliesinrk
02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
LH or RH it doesn't matter, the Sox have some serious lack of pop in the lineup.

You're both right. I'm not sure, but Lillian's comment may have been in reference to my JD question. Either way, while I realize that we need a LH bat more than a RH one, the most important thing is that we get "a bat" at all. I guess my point is that getting some pop in the middle of the order in the form of a RH-hitter is better than not getting any pop at all... (unless the triumverant of Vizquel, Kotsay, and Jones finds a time-machine to take them back to the year 2002).

WhiteSoxOnly
02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Didnt Lee's failure to slide hard occur the next day?

if my memory is correct,and that's a toss-up these days,you are
correct it was the very next day.Ozzie was looking for immediate
payback and C.Lee passed on the opportunity.Nice going Caballo.

white sox bill
02-02-2010, 06:49 AM
I think as long as Ozzie is managing this team, CLee won't be on it

DonnieDarko
02-02-2010, 09:25 AM
i think as long as ozzie is managing this team, clee won't be on it

+1.

sas1974
02-05-2010, 11:06 AM

SMO

If I recall correctly, Ozzie mentioned that Carlos went into second base as if his pregnant wife was turning the double play.