PDA

View Full Version : Sox might be looking to trade for Heath Bell or Scott Downs

Rockabilly
01-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Also they got there eye on Johnny Damon

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?name=levine

I would love to see the Sox get Downs and Damon and we should win the Central by at least 5-6 games

DirtySox
01-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm not against adding a reliever, but at this point a bat is so much more important. I'm not huge on Heath Bell either.

DSpivack
01-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm not believing anything he writes.

thedudeabides
01-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I literally don't believe a word he says. To me, that would be a death kiss to any of this happening.

Besides, Downs is set to make $4 mil. They are not adding that payroll to the bullpen.

It's starting to sound like Damon is getting offers around $6-7 mil. I can't see the Sox going that high, unless AJ can convince him to come here, but Borass isn't going to let him take a lesser offer.

DumpJerry
01-30-2010, 09:56 AM
I don't believe any rumors from Levine.

Otis is the only credible source for off-season rumors.

Rockabilly
01-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Has Levine ever broken a story?

thedudeabides
01-30-2010, 10:22 AM

I believe he has, but I really think teams just use him as a shill for misinformation. He's usually so wildly off it's not even worth talking about.

DickAllen72
01-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Yes. Willie Harris for Wes Helms. :tongue:

dickallen15
01-30-2010, 10:45 AM

Yes. Soxfest January 2005 he mentioned how it has to be tough to be a Sox fan because they aren't going to be very good for a while.

areilly
01-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Toronto and the Padres are both too far away from contention to want any of the pieces the Sox could move without damaging their long-term ability to compete. I don't see either of these happening before July, if at all - and I'd give either deal the same odds every Levine suggestion warrants.

Hitmen77
01-30-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm not believing anything he writes.

The article is confusing too. First he says that the Sox have tabled a search for a DH and are not interested in any of the left handed bats still on the market....but then he says the Sox will be keeping their eye on Damon.:scratch:

That stuff about Bell or Downs sounds like it is pure speculation.

beasly213
01-30-2010, 01:07 PM

He was the one who a few years ago that Soriano to the White Sox from the Nationals was a "Done Deal"

Brian26
01-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I believe he has, but I really think teams just use him as a shill for misinformation. He's usually so wildly off it's not even worth talking about.

The last one I remember was summer of '04 when he called the 2nd acquisition of Carl Everett from the Expos the morning that it happened.

Domeshot17
01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
I actually do believe LEvine was right the FIRST time the Sox got Griffey from the Reds, but then Reds ownership refused to sign off on it, not the Reds GM or the Sox. That is the last time I recall him being right.

LoveYourSuit
01-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Damon would excite me. Don't know how they will sell him on the plan of rotating DHs (the Ozzie plan) nor would it be good idea to spend $6-7 million on a guy who Ozzie will only play 60-70% of time according to plan.

oeo
01-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Damon would excite me. Don't know how they will sell him on the plan of rotating DHs (the Ozzie plan) nor would it be good idea to spend $6-7 million on a guy who Ozzie will only play 60-70% of time according to plan.

Obviously signing Damon would mean the only rotating he would be doing is playing some outfield.

asindc
01-30-2010, 01:30 PM

I think Damon would play about 145-150 games if he was in the rotation. I seriously doubt that he would sit other than to rest.

LoveYourSuit
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I think Damon would play about 145-150 games if he was in the rotation. I seriously doubt that he would sit other than to rest.

I think Ozzie is not about to hurt feelings here. He has promised a ton of PT to Jones, Kotsay, & Vizquel

oeo
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I think Ozzie is not about to hurt feelings here. He has promised a ton of PT to Jones, Kotsay, & Vizquel

I think Ozzie is never afraid to hurt feelings and I doubt he's promised anyone anything. :shrug:

Again, just because Thome wasn't signed does not imply that he's excited about rotating those three in the DH spot.

jabrch
01-30-2010, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't pay much attention to what comes out of Guillen's mouth.

pythons007
01-30-2010, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't pay much attention to what comes out of Guillen's mouth.

If thats the case I wouldn't take pay ANY attention to what comes out of Levine's mouth. That guy wouldn't know a true trade even if it walked right by him.

thedudeabides
01-30-2010, 09:11 PM

I don't know where he promised that? When Kenny signed Jones and Vizquel he clearly stated they were here to come off the bench and provide depth. I haven't heard a word about guaranteed playing time or at bats.

chunk
01-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't know where he promised that? When Kenny signed Jones and Vizquel he clearly stated they were here to come off the bench and provide depth. I haven't heard a word about guaranteed playing time or at bats.

He wants a rotating DH of Jones and Kotsay. When the Sox turned Thome away, Ozzie said it was because he was worried he wouldn't be able to give him enough atbats. How in the world could he not get the full time DH enough ABs without that implying Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel will also be getting plenty of PT?

asindc
01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
He wants a rotating DH of Jones and Kotsay. When the Sox turned Thome away, Ozzie said it was because he was worried he wouldn't be able to give him enough atbats. How in the world could he not get the full time DH enough ABs without that implying Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel will also be getting plenty of PT?

Because Ozzie might be looking at it this way:

Jones/Kotsay > Jones/Kotsay/Thome

Damon > Jones/Kotsay

Damon >> Thome

If such is true, it makes perfect sense that they passed on Thome even if they cannot/will not sign Damon or someone else they prefer over Thome. It also would make sense that they would give Damon the vast majority of ABs within the rotation.

sunofgold
01-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Well, for a righty reliever, isn't Kiko Calero still available. He had a good year in 2009 and only was paid $500,000.

However, we probably need a lefty more than a righty. Probably wouldn't mind somebody to compete with Randy Williams even though Williams was OK last year.

Tragg
01-31-2010, 12:42 AM
No more chasing middle relievers, please.
Our young pitchers can fill the bill.

soxinem1
01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm not against adding a reliever, but at this point a bat is so much more important. I'm not huge on Heath Bell either.

We will be screamin for a LHRP when Williams is cut in May with an 11.25 ERA.:smile:

NLaloosh
01-31-2010, 12:10 PM
We will be screamin for a LHRP when Williams is cut in May with an 11.25 ERA.:smile:

That's my fear. Although, not a big one.

veeter
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Yes. Soxfest January 2005 he mentioned how it has to be tough to be a Sox fan because they aren't going to be very good for a while.He also said last year, the Sox might draw more if they created a "family" atmosphere by hiring former players as coaches, etc. I guess the General Manager, Field Manager, Hitting coach, bench coach and first base coach weren't enough for Brucey.

soxinem1
01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
He was the one who a few years ago that Soriano to the White Sox from the Nationals was a "Done Deal"

Yes, that was around the ASB in 2006, when both Levine and ESPN kept stating that the White Sox were 'extremely close' to getting Soriano.

That was a great trade, wasn't it??

He also said last year, the Sox might draw more if they created a "family" atmosphere by hiring former players as coaches, etc. I guess the General Manager, Field Manager, Hitting coach, bench coach and first base coach weren't enough for Brucey.

Not to mention LaMarr Hoyt in ST, Rich Dotson in AA, other former White Sox big-league players and minor leaguers used as instructors, scouts, etc.

Noneck
01-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Not to mention LaMarr Hoyt in ST, Rich Dotson in AA, other former White Sox big-league players and minor leaguers used as instructors, scouts, etc.

And 3 of the 4 broadcasters are former Sox players, White of course.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-31-2010, 10:49 PM

Yep. I doubt he is going to last all year. I guess we don't need a second LHP all year out of the pen, but it would be nice to have one right now. Of course I'm sure there will be plenty of guys available throughout the year that can easily do what Williams is doing.

Dub25
02-02-2010, 09:44 PM

Yes, when A-Rod and Bruce sat in the Seattle dugout before the start of the 2000 series and he told Bruce how much he loved Chicago. Bruce then was so giddy that he was on the Huge Show saying... oh wait, nevermind, A-Rod went to Texas. :tongue:

Dub25
02-02-2010, 09:48 PM
He also said last year, the Sox might draw more if they created a "family" atmosphere by hiring former players as coaches, etc. I guess the General Manager, Field Manager, Hitting coach, bench coach and first base coach weren't enough for Brucey.

He was questioning family atmosphere? I'm guessing he thinks Wrigley should be the home of a maternity ward and a church.

BadBobbyJenks
02-02-2010, 11:13 PM
I am fine with the Pen. How about we fix that DH problem because we play in the American League where the DH is used.

Jpgr91
02-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Yes, that was around the ASB in 2006, when both Levine and ESPN kept stating that the White Sox were 'extremely close' to getting Soriano.

That was a great trade, wasn't it??

I remember Levine saying on AM1000 when asked about the Sox "imminent" signing of Vizquel "Ill stake what little reputation I have left on this one". Vizquel went to San Fransisco. I laughed for a week.

Tragg
02-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Not to mention LaMarr Hoyt in ST.
LaMarr's a coach? Cool.
That dude could pitch.

Lip Man 1
02-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Tragg:

LaMarr's been invited from time to time to spring training as an instructor. I don't think it's on a yearly basis but I'm not sure about that.

Lip

RCWHITESOX
02-04-2010, 11:27 AM

Just curious on why you would say that. I think Bell would be a tremendous pick up. I think that with him added to the bullpen the Sox would have the best starting staff and bullpen in MLB. You can never have enough pitching. Just saying.

spawn
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Just curious on why you would say that. I think Bell would be a tremendous pick up. I think that with him added to the bullpen the Sox would have the best starting staff and bullpen in MLB. You can never have enough pitching. Just saying.
With our starting staff and the bullpen we currently have, I think the Sox are pretty set. I understand not having too much pitching, but you can't win any games if you're not scoring any runs. I'm hoping Ozzie's gamble pays off, but I'm not overly optimisitc. I left-handed bat with pop is more of a need right now for this team than relief pitching IMO.

chunk
02-04-2010, 06:48 PM

I guess you can look at as diminishing returns. The resources spent to acquire a top reliever for a strong bullpen are needed to improve the poor offense.