PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld's top 100 prospects

tm1119
01-29-2010, 09:43 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/premium/draftguide/baseball/viewcolumn.aspx?number=34558

Nice to see Flowers and Hudson getting some love in the top 50. Also nice to see Morel even making the list, didnt think he was getting that much attention yet.

HOWEVER, Brandon Allen at #13? Boy do I really hope they are wrong. If he turns out to be a stud and all we got for him was Pena I m not sure Kenny will ever be able to live that 1 down.

DirtySox
01-29-2010, 09:45 PM
This is Baseball Prospectus?

"This list is focused on rotisserie fantasy value among rookie-eligible players."

tm1119
01-29-2010, 09:51 PM
This is Baseball Prospectus? "This list is focused on rotisserie fantasy value among rookie-eligible players."

Also, Brandon Allen shouldn't touch a top 20. I think he would be a reach even in a top 50.

No Im an idiot and was looking at BP right before I posted this. Its Rotoworld's top 100. Tried editing it, but apparently you cant edit the title. If a mod could edit that it would be appreciated.

Yeah I kind of agree with you on Allen. He should most likely be on the list somewhere, but probably not even top 75.

DirtySox
01-29-2010, 09:55 PM
No Im an idiot and was looking at BP right before I posted this. Its Rotoworld's top 100. Tried editing it, but apparently you cant edit the title. If a mod could edit that it would be appreciated.

Yeah I kind of agree with you on Allen. He should most likely be on the list somewhere, but probably not even top 75.

Yea. I edited my post, when I realized it was fantasy value. I'm not a fantasy guy, but I assumed that might be why he was so high. Same with Scott Sizemore, Eric Young, Frazier, Freese, etc.

Daver
01-29-2010, 10:02 PM

Okey Dokey.

tm1119
01-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Yea. I edited my post, when I realized it was fantasy value. I'm not a fantasy guy, but I assumed that might be why he was so high. Same with Scott Sizemore, Eric Young, Frazier, Freese, etc.

Yeah its based on fantasy value from '10-'12 though so its a pretty wide range of guys on there. Also, the best fantasy guys are usually the best players you want on your team anyway so I dont know why that would a big deterrent. Its a solid list though to see who/what to expect in the next couple of years.

Oh, and thanks for the edit.

DSpivack
01-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah its based on fantasy value from '10-'12 though so its a pretty wide range of guys on there. Also, the best fantasy guys are usually the best players you want on your team anyway so I dont know why that would a big deterrent. Its a solid list though to see who/what to expect in the next couple of years.

Oh, and thanks for the edit.

It could also be guys who really stand out in one category that your fantasy team might need, too. Stolen bases, doubles, etc.

Tragg
01-31-2010, 12:53 AM
HOWEVER, Brandon Allen at #13? Boy do I really hope they are wrong. If he turns out to be a stud and all we got for him was Pena I m not sure Kenny will ever be able to live that 1 down.
That was an odd trade. There's no way you trade anything close to a top prospect for a middle reliever, which pena is and was. That's not close to a fair return.
#13 suggests he is a top prospect; but my understanding was that he really wasn't that. We'll see.

NLaloosh
01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
That was an odd trade. There's no way you trade anything close to a top prospect for a middle reliever, which pena is and was. That's not close to a fair return.
#13 suggests he is a top prospect; but my understanding was that he really wasn't that. We'll see.

I think it's more about what the Sox think of Pena. I believe that they felt that he could be a solid 8th or 9th inniing guy.

They think he has much more potential. We'll see.

rdivaldi
02-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Lots of pop with a long, slow'ish swing. It helps that Brandon is a lefty and draws a good amount of walks, but I've never thought he was destined for anything special.

Save McCuddy's
02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
It's entirely possible that Allen could produce impressive numbers and make the traded look worse than it was. He already began to in hitter friendly Reno last summer. The BOB with National League pitching may help to exasperate that condition when he makes the major league club this year.

However, the thing that bothers me most is that the player we targeted in the deal had shown no K rate prowess in 3 major league seasons and was already 27. Supposedly KW and one of our scouts "saw" something in him. Whatever it was, it doesn't appear to have been worth trading anyone who was within a year of being a major league regular.

PalehosePlanet
02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
It's entirely possible that Allen could produce impressive numbers and make the traded look worse than it was. He already began to in hitter friendly Reno last summer. The BOB with National League pitching may help to exasperate that condition when he makes the major league club this year.

However, the thing that bothers me most is that the player we targeted in the deal had shown no K rate prowess in 3 major league seasons and was already 27. Supposedly KW and one of our scouts "saw" something in him. Whatever it was, it doesn't appear to have been worth trading anyone who was within a year of being a major league regular.

Keep in mind that KW and Josh Byrnes (D'Backs GM) are good friends and therefore consistent trade partners. This goes back to when we shared a spring training complex for years; we know each others players, including minor leaguers, better than any two teams know each other.

This trade could easily have been borne of past considerations, or includes future considerations.

KyWhiSoxFan
02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Keep in mind that KW and Josh Byrnes (D'Backs GM) are good friends and therefore consistent trade partners. This goes back to when we shared a spring training complex for years; we know each others players, including minor leaguers, better than any two teams know each other.

This trade could easily have been borne of past considerations, or includes future considerations.

Not sure what that means. Are you saying that Byrnes robbed KW and KW gets some sort of future credit and is able to get a player from SD cheaply because he got fleeced?