PDA

View Full Version : How much? Any interest?

34rancher
06-13-2002, 05:38 PM
This could be a great pick-up. What do you guys think about the possibilities in the off-season (if there is one)?
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0613/1394310.html

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
This could be a great pick-up. What do you guys think about the possibilities in the off-season (if there is one)?
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0613/1394310.html the offseason could be sooner than most other seasons.... but concerning the compensation.......... no.

oops

Randar68
06-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0613/1394310.html

Don't know. 2 year deal? I think he'll have a hard time getting 9-10 million a year for a 38 year-old if there are any financial reforms added to the next CBA...

pearso66
06-13-2002, 08:10 PM
with our "youth" movement, i wouldnt like to see that deal, i think if malone or rauch find it, they will be better than leiter

MisterB
06-14-2002, 02:15 AM
During Wed.'s game the ESPN guys were talking about Leiter wanting to be close to his family, mentioning he has homes in the NYC area and in Florida. If that's true he'd stay on the east coast. Otherwise at his age (37 next year), you'd have to worry about his effectiveness dropping off suddenly, which makes a 2-3 year deal for the money they're talking about a real gamble. I'd rather use some of that money to lock up Buehrle for a few years.

hold2dibber
06-14-2002, 07:51 AM
After the Mets' dismal year last season, but before they started to re-tool for this season, I thought if they went into re-building mode and wanted to drop salary, I'd love for the Sox to go after Leiter. Although he is still an effective pitcher, however, I don't think give him a 2 or 3 year deal at 9 to 10 mm per year. I'd like to have him, but I agree that the money would be better spent locking up Buehrle for five years. Of course, much depends on the continued development of Garland, Wright, Biddle, Ginter, Glover, Rauch, and Malone, plus (and I"m probably the only one left thinking this way) the possibility of a return to form by Parque. If a couple of those guys put it together and keep it together (and I'm starting to think they will), we won't need a free agent pitcher. We'll need a catcher and a shortstop.

LongDistanceFan
06-14-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
After the Mets' dismal year last season, but before they started to re-tool for this season, I thought if they went into re-building mode and wanted to drop salary, I'd love for the Sox to go after Leiter. Although he is still an effective pitcher, however, I don't think give him a 2 or 3 year deal at 9 to 10 mm per year. I'd like to have him, but I agree that the money would be better spent locking up Buehrle for five years. Of course, much depends on the continued development of Garland, Wright, Biddle, Ginter, Glover, Rauch, and Malone, plus (and I"m probably the only one left thinking this way) the possibility of a return to form by Parque. If a couple of those guys put it together and keep it together (and I'm starting to think they will), we won't need a free agent pitcher. We'll need a catcher and a shortstop. even tho i was not a fan of of parque, would be glad to see his return to his old form.......... all he can do is help.