PDA

View Full Version : Hank Blalock Maybe???

Jrbear98
01-27-2010, 07:47 AM
I know he is a huge injury risk, however he did hit 25hr's and is a lefty. If healthy and that's a big if I think he would fit nicely in the lineup. I mean if we can sign him to a incentive laced deal that is, I say at this point with what's out there he might be the best option.

rowand33
01-27-2010, 10:11 AM
He both sucks and is a Boras client. No chance.

soxinem1
01-27-2010, 10:12 AM
I think he would be a decent add on, but his low OBP and below-grade defense at either 1B or 3B does not fall into Ozzie's 'Entire Lineup of Versatile Players' motto of 2010.

I advocated him once before, but I never realize what a hacking K machine he is.

Jrbear98
01-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Hank Blalock "below-grade defense at either 1B or 3B" :scratch: ???I mean the guy only has 100 carrier gm's at first with 6 errors, it's pretty hard to determine his defensive capabilities from such a small amount of gm's at one position. As far as his defense at 3rd it was pretty solid, his injury's is what prompted a move from 3rd to 1st. If you got back and look at his defensive #'s at 3rd I bet you would be surprised. All I am saying with what's left out there he really is the best option for a left handed bat with some power to come of the bench.

seventyseven
01-27-2010, 03:31 PM

End the debate and close the thread. Somebody said he sucks.

rowand33
01-27-2010, 06:17 PM
End the debate and close the thread. Somebody said he sucks.

Ok, fine then.

1) .234/.277/.459 line overall last year. Doesn't look as nice as those 25 homers.
2) .201/.237/.348 (that's a .585 OPS...) after the break. Awful.
3) Injury history.
4) Scott Boras is his agent. Kenny refuses to deal with Boras when it comes to good players. I'd assume he would absolutley not deal with Boras when it comes to subpar ones like Blalock.

So, to sum up:

tm1119
01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Ok, fine then.

1) .234/.277/.459 line overall last year. Doesn't look as nice as those 25 homers.
2) .201/.237/.348 (that's a .585 OPS...) after the break. Awful.
3) Injury history.
4) Scott Boras is his agent. Kenny refuses to deal with Boras when it comes to good players. I'd assume he would absolutley not deal with Boras when it comes to subpar ones like Blalock.

So, to sum up:

1&2- Way to use a small sample size of a guy coming off of injury. He has a career .269/.329/.465/.794 line. Hes obviously not great, but we are on a budget and he would come cheap.
3. Again, when on a budget you have to take risks on a players like this. If we had money to spend this wouldnt be an issue, and we would have signed someone better by now.
4. Andruw Jones come to mind? No GM is going to refuse to work with any agent. Especially with 1 like Boras who has such a large clientele.

To sum it up: Mark Kotsay is in line to receive a large # of AB's right now, as far as I'm concerned bringing in anyone to at least compete with him is not a bad idea.