PDA

View Full Version : Jon Garland signs with San Diego

bridgeportcopper
01-26-2010, 06:02 PM
per Sportscenter. Apparantly only has to hit Oakland and SF to knock out all the Cali teams now.......

#1swisher
01-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Congrats on finding a job Jon:gulp:

doublem23
01-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Probably the best situation for him, that ballpark is a monster.

Good luck, Jon.

soxinem1
01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Probably the best situation for him, that ballpark is a monster.

Good luck, Jon.

I was thinking the same thing.

Problem is, no one will be able to catch the screaming liners that leave the INF.

thomas35forever
01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Good luck with the new gig, Jon.

01-26-2010, 08:31 PM
He will be a good fit for the Padres. Half the team here is going to be guys who used to play for the White Sox organization.

DSpivack
01-26-2010, 09:06 PM
per Sportscenter. Apparantly only has to hit Oakland and SF to knock out all the Cali teams now.......

Or Colorado to hit the whole NL West.

veeter
01-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Good luck Jon, get those cubs.

bridgeportcopper
01-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Or Colorado to hit the whole NL West.
Yeah, forgot about his cup of coffee with the D-Backs. Man is he becoming a journeyman??

DSpivack
01-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Yeah, forgot about his cup of coffee with the D-Backs. Man is he becoming a journeyman??

Not that surprising for a decent innings-eater.

FarmerAndy
01-27-2010, 11:05 AM
This is the kind of signing that makes me not feel sorry for teams who can't seem to contend - totally senseless.

It's no big secret that the Padres are rebuilding and have no real hopes of contending in 2010. So why on earth would you pay almost $5 million for Jon Garland?

1. You aren't winning anything this season.
2. 1 year (w/ an option of 1 more) of Jon Garland does nothing for your team's rebuilding effort.

Conclusion: Senseless waste of money.

rowand33
01-27-2010, 11:12 AM
This is the kind of signing that makes me not feel sorry for teams who can't seem to contend - totally senseless.

It's no big secret that the Padres are rebuilding and have no real hopes of contending in 2010. So why on earth would you pay almost $5 million for Jon Garland?

2. 1 year (w/ an option of 1 more) of Jon Garland does nothing for your team's rebuilding effort.

How much of a waste is it when they trade his sub-4, Petco-inflated ERA to a contender for a decent prospect(s)?

jabrch
01-27-2010, 11:28 AM

That's ridiculous. Garland makes them a better club and could become a valuable piece. $5mm for a SP who will sit in the middle of their rotation is just not a waste of money. They need to have some veteran leadership in that rotation who can help.

01-27-2010, 11:30 AM

Garland might do pretty well pitching in Petco. I think he will be closer to 2005/2006 than 2007-2009.

The Padres have alot of good young talent. You can't write them off in January!

Especially since the Dodgers did nothing but get worse.

VMSNS
01-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Kind of surprising. I thought the Dodgers wanted him badly.

FarmerAndy
01-27-2010, 01:16 PM
That's ridiculous. Garland makes them a better club and could become a valuable piece. $5mm for a SP who will sit in the middle of their rotation is just not a waste of money. They need to have some veteran leadership in that rotation who can help.

Seriously?

I couldn't disagree more.

Does Garland make them a contender? Does Garland do anything to move along rebuilding plans?

No and No.

Do they win a few more games this year with Garland on their staff? Probably so. But to that I ask - So what? At the end of the season, what's really the difference between being in 4th place as oppossed to 5th place? Is there any more of a prize for being a .500 club in 3rd place than there is for being a 100 loss club in last place? Nope, you still don't get a banner to hang for that. And now you're down $5 million.

Some big league exposure for a promising young kid at $500K isn't going to flush the future of your club down the toilet. Wasting millions on slightly more productive veteran stopgaps in a season where your shot at a championship is next to none is simply foolish. If the Padres have a good club in a few years, I seriously doubt they will look back and say that it's due in part to the veteran leadership that Jon Garland provided the staff a few years ago when they were wet behind the ears. That's ridiculous.

FarmerAndy
01-27-2010, 01:19 PM
How much of a waste is it when they trade his sub-4, Petco-inflated ERA to a contender for a decent prospect(s)?

Yours is a decent point.

However, I think that Garland has been around long enough that most GM's won't be fooled enough by inflated Petco Park numbers to pay a king's ransom for him at the trade deadline. I'm sure teams will have interest, but he isn't going to draw some ridiculous return on investment.

Mohoney
02-04-2010, 03:00 AM
Some big league exposure for a promising young kid at $500K isn't going to flush the future of your club down the toilet.
It might flush the future of the kid in question down the toilet, though.

If the Padres don't think that the young pitchers in their organization can handle life in the majors at this time, then they should definitely make a signing like this.

Besides, they will probably only pay a little over $3 million of the $5 million anyway, since they will probably trade him at the deadline.

02-04-2010, 10:38 AM
It might flush the future of the kid in question down the toilet, though.

If the Padres don't think that the young pitchers in their organization can handle life in the majors at this time, then they should definitely make a signing like this.

Besides, they will probably only pay a little over $3 million of the $5 million anyway, since they will probably trade him at the deadline.

The Padres do not have a very secure backend of their rotation. Garland at least gives a little more needed time to some of their young guys to develop before getting thrown to the wolves.

If the Padres are not contending for the NL West at the deadline, Garland likely will be delt anyways.