PDA

View Full Version : A's sign Sheets

Sockinchisox
01-26-2010, 12:48 PM
http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/19783010?source=rss_blogs_MLB

TheOldRoman
01-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Sheets is always injured. Oakland has a well known history of players finding substances which help them be "less injured". Makes sense.

thomas35forever
01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
About time he signed somewhere. His arm's gotta be pretty rusty after not pitching at all last year.

akingamongstmen
01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Sheets is always injured. Oakland has a well known history of players finding substances which help them be "less injured". Makes sense.

Then what happened to Eric Chavez?

DirtySox
01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Sounds good to me. Billy can always flip him at the trade deadline if he's pitching well and the A's are out of it. That's his MO.

PalehosePlanet
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't think that the A's are in a position to contend, so on the surface it looks like waste of money. Beane is probably doing this so he has a trading chip come trade deadline more than anything else. It's like spending roughly 4 mil to acquire a prospect or two.

If he's not traded, then all the A's did here was serve as a bridge year for Sheets to make himself more marketable next winter.

thedudeabides
01-26-2010, 12:55 PM
There is no doubt they are just hoping he can be healthy for a couple of months and then trade him.

They are the strangest run organization in baseball.

TDog
01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't think that the A's are in a position to contend, so on the surface it looks like waste of money. Beane is probably doing this so he has a trading chip come trade deadline more than anything else. It's like spending roughly 4 mil to acquire a prospect or two.

If he's not traded, then all the A's did here was serve as a bridge year for Sheets to make himself more marketable next winter.

Last season the A's signed Orlando Cabrera for 44 percent of what he made in 2008 with the White Sox) just so they could deal him before the deadline.

You have to wonder, though, if the A's aren't smarter than, say, the Twins, who could have signed Cabrera at the beginning of the season, but instead had to give up a prospect to acquire him.

SoxNation05
01-26-2010, 01:28 PM
I am glad he didn't sign with the Cubs.

Bobby Thigpen
01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
But, they're the future of baseball. I saw a book about it. It must be true.

johnnyg83
01-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Last season the A's signed Orlando Cabrera for 44 percent of what he made in 2008 with the White Sox) just so they could deal him before the deadline.

You have to wonder, though, if the A's aren't smarter than, say, the Twins, who could have signed Cabrera at the beginning of the season, but instead had to give up a prospect to acquire him.

didn't the A's have to give up a prospect/draft pick to us to sign him ...Type-A FA?

soxinem1
01-26-2010, 02:23 PM
didn't the A's have to give up a prospect/draft pick to us to sign him ...Type-A FA?

No, because of their record.

But $10 million is a lot for a guy who hasn't started over 30 games more than once in nearly seven seasons.

Foulke You
01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
There is no doubt they are just hoping he can be healthy for a couple of months and then trade him.

I agree. They do make some bizarre moves. A small market team spends $10 million for 1 year on a pitcher who is hurt all the time and...oh yeah...didn't throw a single pitch in 2009 because of said injuries. This move might have made sense for the Red Sox or Yankees to take a gamble on but the A's can't afford to have this much of their payroll tied up in a reclamation project. I'm sure Beane is hoping he can get Sheets off to a good first half and then dump him at the deadline so he can collect more of his prized prospects. In reality, he will likely be on the DL by June and will have to eat $10 million and have nothing to show for it. Beane is the only GM I can think of who constructs his team annually with free agent signings he thinks he can dump at the July 31st deadline for prospects.

DumpJerry
01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I am glad he didn't sign with the Cubs.
Why? At the most, he would face us two times in a season. With Oakland, we could face him three times in '10 (we have nine games against the A's. Three three-game series).

SOXfnNlansing
01-26-2010, 08:39 PM

sad as it may sound, I think you're on to something:(:

Rdy2PlayBall
01-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I think they spent WAY too much on him. Way too much...