PDA

View Full Version : Happy 92nd Birthday Ernie Harwell

Oblong
01-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Today is Ernie's 92nd birthday. Happy Birthday to you sir. As fine of a gentleman that anybody will ever meet. I hope you get to enjoy your day.

FYI, Ernie has resumed his columns for the Free Press again. Today's installment talks his involvement in music back in the day.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100125/SPORTS02/1250328/1318/Too-busy-hustling-for-study

chisox123
01-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Great man and a great announcer, I'm still mad at FOX and Jeanne Zelasko for cutting him off during his interview at the 2005 All Star game.

Foulke You
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
I could listen to Harwell call a ballgame all day. I wish more broadcasters had his old school style rather than the generic "broadcaster school" voices you hear on Fox or ESPN. I honestly can't tell the difference between guys like Thom Brenamman, Joe Buck, Josh Lewin, etc. If it isn't those vanilla guys, you have to put up with bloviators like Chris Berman, Joe Morgan, or Tim McCarver. I hope old school baseball broadcasters come back in vogue one day but I think I won't hold my breath on that one.