PDA

View Full Version : What is the greatest moment in Cub history for Sox fans?

ISUSoxfan
06-13-2002, 05:41 PM
What is your favorite moment in Cub history?

danman31
06-13-2002, 07:30 PM
All of the above

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by danman31
All of the above how bout the jose hr and pounding his chest via shamme

bjmarte
06-14-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
how bout the jose hr and pounding his chest via shamme

Oooh, yea. I want to change my vote to that.

LongDistanceFan
06-14-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte

Oooh, yea. I want to change my vote to that. that was sooooo sweet......... phg should have that somewhere here....... now that was a classic

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2002, 10:25 AM
All right, I admit that I am going to be a little biased here, since it involves my "husband," but I must say that that El Caballo's grand slam has to be it! It had so much meaning to me, and it started our Sox off on the right foot in the 2001 version of the cross town series. I was in my basement watching the game and screamed so loud it woke up my parents who were sleeping on the second floor! Jose's mockery of SamMe (my Carlos did it the very next day, just a little more discreetly, remember) is a close second.

Heather the Redbird

Chisox353014
06-14-2002, 10:48 AM
how bout the jose hr and pounding his chest via shamme

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!
As far as your choices go, the '99 sweep was the best because it completely took the wind out of the Flubs' season that year. They were in first at the time and coming off their "magical" Wild-Card "championship" season, and the Blue Rock-induced delusions were becoming unbearable. The Sox exposed them for the sorry old slugs that they were.

LongDistanceFan
06-14-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
All right, I admit that I am going to be a little biased here, since it involves my "husband," but I must say that that El Caballo's grand slam has to be it! It had so much meaning to me, and it started our Sox off on the right foot in the 2001 version of the cross town series. I was in my basement watching the game and screamed so loud it woke up my parents who were sleeping on the second floor! Jose's mockery of SamMe (my Carlos did it the very next day, just a little more discreetly, remember) is a close second.

Heather the Redbird you are married to carlos lee?

i am out of it today.......... no sleep....... my son was sick last night so i was up with him........

VeeckAsInWreck
06-14-2002, 06:44 PM
I picked C.Lee's Slam because I was there for it and it was one of the most exciting things I have ever seen in my life. I was way up in Sec.518, as a matter of fact to the right of the Sec.518 sign!(I'm not kidding folks) and to the other side of the sign were three obnoxious sCrUB fans(rare huh) mocking Magglio when he struck out with the bases loaded in the 10th. However El Caballo shut them the f*** up! It was beautifull because I gave those guys a D-X style crotch chop and they said nothing. The look on their face was priceless! I wish I had a camera! Oh well re-living that cheered me up! We'll get them tomorrow! After all we got the Burly-Mon going for us!
Go SOX! :gulp:

ISUSoxfan
06-14-2002, 08:03 PM
I didn't originally include Jose moching Sammi because I didn't want the list to be too heavy on recent events, but I am keeping a tally of how many write in votes it gets. It has 3 right now.

I voted for the 1984 NLCS because it had a major impact on my life. I was in 3rd grade and had just moved to a new neighborhood. It seemed like everyone else there was a Cub fan, but I found one other Sox fan and he immediately became my best friend. It was me and him against the rest of the school and neighborhood. But when the playoffs started, even my best friend turned on me and started cheering for the Cubs. Then my father who had raised me to hate the Cubs gave in to the madness and capitulated to his Cub fan friends who were helping him run a local campaign. He told me I couldn't have a Padre hat until after the election and warned me not to say anything bad about the Cubs around other adults. That left me against the world.

The first 2 games of the NLCS were at Wrigley, and the Cubs won big in both games. I will never forget the awful bus rides home from school with the games on the bus radio and the Cubs winning. All of the other kids were harassing me and even my former best friend joined in. I yelled back the best I could, but I was outnumbered, capacity to 1. The missery was unbearable, but I stuck to my guns and kept saying the Cubs will choke.

All the Cubs had to do was win 1 out of 3 games in San Diego, and they were going to the World Series. When the Padres won the next 2 games to tie the series, things got intense. I finally had something to yell back at the other kids about.

On the night of game 5, I was forced to leave my house because my father had a party for his Cub fan campaign workers to watch the game at our house. I went to watch the game with my grandparents and uncle. I kept thinking about the kids at school and how bad I wanted San Diego to win so I could give all of the harassment back to them. When Leon Durham let the ball go between his legs, I went nuts. One of my memories from that game is how bad my hand stung from high-fiving my uncle so hard. Then Sandburg let a ball go right by him. The Padres won and the celebration was on.

For the only time in my life, I couldn't wait to get back to school. I had a blast for weeks. I remember giving the whole school bus the choke sign. I kept doing my Leon Durham immitation on the playground. It was great. Then just when they thought it was over, I went to school as a Cub-Buster for Halloween.

The 1984 NLCS was fun, but it also taught me 2 life lessons:

1. No matter how many people disagree with you, stand up for what you believe in. Just because there are more of them, doesn't mean they are right.

2. No matter how bad it looks, don't worry, the Cubs will choke.

El Caballo's grand slam is the only event I saw in person, and I will never forget the looks on the Cub fan's faces who were so obnoxious in the first inning. It reminded me of 1984.

chisoxfanatic
06-15-2002, 12:48 AM
you are married to carlos lee?

i am out of it today.......... no sleep....... my son was sick last night so i was up with him........

It's a loooooooooooooooong story...You have to have been in the WSI or SoxNet.net, or whitesox.com (when they had one two years ago before reformatting to their mlb-style website) chat room to fully understand that one...Ask RedPinStripes; he, as well as others, totally know what I am talking about.

Heather the Redbird

LongDistanceFan
06-15-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic

It's a loooooooooooooooong story...You have to have been in the WSI or SoxNet.net, or whitesox.com (when they had one two years ago before reformatting to their mlb-style website) chat room to fully understand that one...Ask RedPinStripes; he, as well as others, totally know what I am talking about.

Heather the Redbird ok........ i take your word...... i was going to say the less sucks....... :D:

no offense.

WinningUgly!
06-15-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
What is your favorite moment in Cub history?

My personal favorite sCrUB history moments....
1) Anytime the Sox beat the sCrUBS
2) Steve Garvey in '84 playoffs & Will Clark in '89 playoffs (tie):D:

NUKE_CLEVELAND
06-15-2002, 03:00 PM
The two greatest blows to flubdom that our Sox have inflicted are as follows:

1. The 3 game sweep of the Flubs in the crostown series. The Flubbies were in first place at the time & after that series they went into a tailspin the rest of the season & finished the season some 30 games under 500 by season's end.

2. MANOS!!! After hitting a homer against the flubbies he does the Shammy impression going around the bases. All that kissing & waving earned him the wrath of all the flubbie smitten "sportswriters" in Chicago & the everlasting gratitude of Sox Fans everywhere.