PDA

View Full Version : *Official* SoxFest Thread

DirtySox
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Post any SoxFest tidbits/information here. It seems we are underway.

Bobby looks 25 pounds lighter.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/8083200520

Kenny says that he doesn't anticipate any weekend surprises. He respects that Ozzie is happy with the team the way it is.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/8084146836

spawn
01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I try to be an Ozzie backer, and I've tried to stay positive, but if he thinks this team is complete at DH, then I want some of whatever it is that he's smoking.

DirtySox
01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
There is a twitter feed here:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/sf_media.jsp

SoxMachine has an even better twitter feed as well.

spawn
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I've been getting Cowley's tweets already, so I read KW comments.

JermaineDye05
01-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I try to be an Ozzie backer, and I've tried to stay positive, but if he thinks this team is complete at DH, then I want some of whatever it is that he's smoking.

I don't think he really feels that way. At least, I don't think Kenny cares if Ozzie feels this way, regardless of what he says.

Kenny has said before that he's always looking for ways to improve this team. I'm sure he's looking for a DH, however I don't know if his hands are tied financially right now or if he's trying to swing a deal while holding on to certain prospects.

DirtySox
01-22-2010, 05:08 PM
The first seminar is going on now with Ozzie, Kenny, Hawk, and Stone.

Ozzie said Vizquel might be leading off, mentioned he would throw his players under the bus if he found out about steroids. Continues to mention that Vizquel will be in the DH spot at times.

Sockinchisox
01-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Kenny just had us boo Jim Hendry because he was booed at the Cubs convention.

#1swisher
01-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Kenny just had us boo Jim Hendry because he was booed at the Cubs convention.

Good One!:redneck

per ABC 5pm sports, KW said that Peavy would be the first to be fined in 2010, regarding his wardrobe. He wore jeans to SoxFest:cool:
Peavy explained he's an Alabama boy.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Ozzie said Vizquel might be leading off, mentioned he would throw his players under the bus if he found out about steroids. Continues to mention that Vizquel will be in the DH spot at times.
What a great idea.

JB98
01-22-2010, 06:01 PM

:nocomment:

Medford Bobby
01-22-2010, 06:50 PM
For us far, far away Sox fans I have been listening to 670 The Score's live coverage of SoxFest, in fact Stone Pony is on right now with Hanley and Mullen.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LSnRtZhXnIU/S1i7M6CmrLI/AAAAAAAABxQ/lOokCGBRCGg/s1600/fiskfront-721504-791595.jpg:bandance:2010 Topps New Fisk card!!!!

DirtySox
01-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Ramirez on Viciedo: "He's been training with me everyday. I think he's ready for the big leagues, but right now he's looking incredible."

http://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/8091737282

oeo
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Ozzie says every year that he's happy with the way the team looks now. Is he supposed to throw his boss under the bus? Is he supposed to go in saying 'so-and-so can't get the job done, we need someone else'? That would do wonders for team chemistry before pitchers and catchers even report.

chisoxfanatic
01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Bobby looks 25 pounds lighter.
See, this is what I don't get. How can someone lose weight that quickly?

It's Dankerific
01-22-2010, 08:05 PM

its been 4 months. thats a long time to lose 10% of you weight.

figure 1-2 lbs a week is perfectly safe.

Danielgosox38
01-22-2010, 09:20 PM

Quoted for truth.

Frontman
01-22-2010, 09:42 PM
its been 4 months. thats a long time to lose 10% of you weight.

figure 1-2 lbs a week is perfectly safe.

25 pounds for a man Bobby's size in 4 months is quite believable. I hope he takes it seriously; and not let himself get out of shape during the season as well.

Viva Medias B's
01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Working all weekend and wish I could be there. Hopefully, SoxFest 2011 in the wake of our second modern world championship will be in the cards for me.

SOXfnNlansing
01-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I just saw chisoxgirl in this (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7149807&c_id=cws&partnerId=ed-3134762-120017484&source=ed-3134762-120017484) video. It was from Whitesox.com's "Soxfest 2010 opens up with anticipation" video. Pretty cool to have an in house celebrity representing. :bandance: I wonder if anyone else from WSI is in the video?

The link takes you to a Kenny Q&A session, but you can click on the thumb nail "Soxfest 2010 opens up with anticipation" to see the video. It's over 4 minutes in length.

#1swisher
01-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Rongey talking with OG,Jr. his dream is to become a GM:o:

Talking about Thome, Jr said that Jimmy shouldn't have gone to the Dodgers. Very interesting...

asindc
01-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Let's see... two pounds a week for 16 weeks comes to 32 pounds. Not far fetched at all considering we are talking about someone working out full time and, considering he was overweight to begin with, much of that was probably water weight loss.

DirtySox
01-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Teahen will be #23.

Heard people r already in line for my autograph at #Soxfest (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Soxfest). Hold tight, I'm on my way. I'm ready to sign. BREAKING NEWS: Think I'm #23.

http://twitter.com/ESPY_TEAHEN/status/8114843071

Shoeless
01-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Teahen will be #23.

The question now stands, is Teahen one better or one worse than Joe Crede?

Rocky Soprano
01-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Rongey talking with OG,Jr. his dream is to become a GM:o:

Talking about Thome, Jr said that Jimmy shouldn't have gone to the Dodgers. Very interesting...

Jr. wants to become a GM?

:redneck

Domeshot17
01-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Sox handled the Buehrle wristbands perfectly. Gave them out at 7 am at the main entrance not at his door. Was funny watching the elevator cutters and stair dwellers panic trying to beat the system

Medford Bobby
01-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I just saw chisoxgirl in this (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7149807&c_id=cws&partnerId=ed-3134762-120017484&source=ed-3134762-120017484) video. It was from Whitesox.com's "Soxfest 2010 opens up with anticipation" video. Pretty cool to have an in house celebrity representing. :bandance: I wonder if anyone else from WSI is in the video?

The link takes you to a Kenny Q&A session, but you can click on the thumb nail "Soxfest 2010 opens up with anticipation" to see the video. It's over 4 minutes in length.
Now she will be forever archived in the official MLB video library.....cool!!!:D:

California Sox
01-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Teahen will be #23.

Ugh. That's inviting unflattering comparisons to Robin Ventura. I'd like to see his number retired, but I'll settle for Frank's first.

white sox bill
01-23-2010, 01:35 PM

My gym has a built in weight loss center. They advertise 2-7 lbs per week. Guaranteed. So 25 lb. in almost 4 months is doable.

BainesHOF
01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Buehrle's autograph session was the most poorly handled in the history of Soxfest. I'll post details when I get home tomorrow.

tebman
01-23-2010, 02:10 PM

Now she will be forever archived in the official MLB video library.....cool!!!:D:

And she appears in a picture is this morning's Tribune! We don't subscribe to the Tribune and it was delivered to our house by mistake. But I looked in there and hey! There's chisoxgirl!

She's going to need to get herself an agent. :cool:

Domeshot17
01-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Buehrle's autograph session was the most poorly handled in the history of Soxfest. I'll post details when I get home tomorrow.

Really ? I thought it was great. My complaint only was with the late notice on the items he can't sign. Although he signed a bunch of random stuff anyways like 16 x 20s & jerseys.

Hawk was awesome. Stone frreeaaaakkkeedd out when asked if he could sign cy young. He seemed pissed off through his entire session.

Medford Bobby
01-23-2010, 02:39 PM
And she appears in a picture is this morning's Tribune! We don't subscribe to the Tribune and it was delivered to our house by mistake. But I looked in there and hey! There's chisoxgirl!

Soon she will have an autograph session at Soxfest too....:redneck

Medford Bobby
01-23-2010, 02:51 PM

I found her online.....
Mod edit: Tribco has requested that we do not post their copyrighted photos.

cws05champ
01-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Last year, I was around 200lbs and lost 27 lbs in 5-6 weeks. If you put your mind to it and stick to a diet and workout...it's not that hard.

GoGoCrede
01-23-2010, 02:55 PM
I found her online.....
Mod edit: copyrighted material removed.

She's a party pooper for not wearing those glasses like everyone else.

Craig Grebeck
01-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Autograph hawks are really annoying. I'd love to make it to Soxfest, but my time would be ruined by those people.

DumpJerry
01-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Autograph hawks are really annoying. I'd love to make it to Soxfest, but my time would be ruined by those people.
Since that is the main activity at fan fests, I'd recommend you stay away. I'm not an autograph hound, so I don't spend my time and money going to Soxfest.

SephClone89
01-23-2010, 03:06 PM
She's purrrdy. :redface:

Craig Grebeck
01-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Since that is the main activity at fan fests, I'd recommend you stay away. I'm not an autograph hound, so I don't spend my time and money going to Soxfest.
Yeah, listening to panels and Q&As on the radio is probably just as good, all things considered.

MarySwiss
01-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Anyone but Boras! :smile:

skobabe8
01-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Really ? I thought it was great. My complaint only was with the late notice on the items he can't sign. Although he signed a bunch of random stuff anyways like 16 x 20s & jerseys.

Hawk was awesome. Stone frreeaaaakkkeedd out when asked if he could sign cy young. He seemed pissed off through his entire session.

Why did stone freak out?

DumpJerry
01-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Why did stone freak out?
He does not know ASL.

Medford Bobby
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I found her online.....
Mod edit: Tribco has requested that we do not post their copyrighted photos.
My bad should have supplied a linky.....http://http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-chicago-white-sox-soxfest-photos,0,2065467.photogallery

Ranger
01-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Ozzie says every year that he's happy with the way the team looks now. Is he supposed to throw his boss under the bus? Is he supposed to go in saying 'so-and-so can't get the job done, we need someone else'? That would do wonders for team chemistry before pitchers and catchers even report.

He says that every year, but I don't think he always means it.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Jr. wants to become a GM?

:redneck

He should fax his resume to Ted Phillips. That may result in that position being upgraded.

#1swisher
01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
My bad should have supplied a linky.....http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-chicago-white-sox-soxfest-photos,0,2065467.photogallery

Let's see if this link works
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-chicago-white-sox-soxfest-photos,0,2065467.photogallery

Domeshot17
01-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Why did stone freak out?

I have no idea. Some guys don't personalize which is fine. But someone asked him any chance he'd sign it cy young. He started freaking out a little. Boastfully saying no no no no well there is a chance but no since that's my signature. I was towards the end of the line so was the guy who got shot down.

Overall this has been a good soxfest. They let up on the don't personalize rule except Burls for obvious reasons. Danks was taking photos at the street level and shaking hands 20 mins ago. Great great guy.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Gosh I wish I was there, and for many of us this Saturday evening after hours has always been the best part of SoxFest. During the Hyatt days, we'd go to the Family Party with free pizza and cash bar. Then, everyone would congregate at the atrium bar and hang out with players and team personnel. In past years, I've drank with KW, Ozzie Jr., Dave Wills, and others.

Brian26
01-23-2010, 08:25 PM

Stone Pony definitely has some issues. I'll get into my Fri-Sat report a bit later, but one has to wonder why he can't sign a '75 Giants card with my sharpie, but instead needed to pull out his own ball-point pen. A bit odd. Did Stone personalize everything in his session like he did for me? Again, not a big deal since it's for my own collection, but is he really worried about the re-sale value of a '75 Topps card?

Brian26
01-23-2010, 08:31 PM

Soxfest is what you make it. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. I did most of my autographing on Friday night. Today, I watched every seminar pretty much from start to finish and had a blast. The seminars are worth the price of admission alone.

Some great stuff was to be had today. Lance Johnson told a story of why he used a 40 ounce bat for most of his career instead of a lighter bat (for reference, Frank Thomas used a 32 ouncer). Lance spent one winter working on his swing with an aluminum bat filled with sand and taped up. He got stronger and stronger with it as Spring approached and finally decided to keep using a bat of that weight during the season because he would be swinging way too early once the season started if he dropped down to his normal bat. He also thought as he got older and his bat speed got slower, he could drop his bat weight and gain an extra few inches on the ball each season, as opposed to guys who are using a 30 oz bat and their bat slows up and then they're done almost overnight.

I'll try to post some more seminar recaps later...

gr8mexico
01-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Stone Pony definitely has some issues. I'll get into my Fri-Sat report a bit later, but one has to wonder why he can't sign a '75 Giants card with my sharpie, but instead needed to pull out his own ball-point pen. A bit odd. Did Stone personalize everything in his session like he did for me? Again, not a big deal since it's for my own collection, but is he really worried about the re-sale value of a '75 Topps card?
Thats Stone Pony for you. He will always personalize everything

Brian26
01-23-2010, 08:57 PM
A couple of neat moments from the morning seminars...

Jamie Buehrle showed up halfway through the first seminar with their two-year old son, who instantly ran across the stage and hugged Ozzie. Ozzie picked him up, kissed him about ten times and walked him back over to Mrs. Buehrle.

The seminar with Kenny, Ozzie, DJ and Farmer was supposed to start at 9:30 this morning. Kenny showed up twenty minutes early and started taking questions by himself on the stage from the people already in the room. Cool moment.

Domeshot17
01-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Buehrle was on top of his game. My wide asked him to please put his number under his name. His wife was sitting next to him. He laughs and says sorry i'm a married man and can't give out my number anymore.

On our way back in from dinner we saw Freddy and danks. Danks was real happy to pose for photos. Freddy was too until some drunk ( and pretty trashy) women were trying to prop Freddy to go up to his room. He kept saying oh no my wifes there thanks though. He bolted after that. Was comical.

SOXfnNlansing
01-23-2010, 10:14 PM

Wow, I can say I met her before all this fandom! :bandance:

BainesHOF
01-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Freddy Garcia gave a legendary performance in the Palmer House lobby tonight that was comparable to his 2005 World Series Game 4 victory!

Sockinchisox
01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Soxfest is what you make it. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. I did most of my autographing on Friday night. Today, I watched every seminar pretty much from start to finish and had a blast. The seminars are worth the price of admission alone.

This pretty much sums it up. I go mainly for the seminars and sprinkle in a few autographs. All day Friday I just did seminars and bought a discounted authentic Peavy jersey for him to sign. I met Peavy and Teahen (nicest guy ever) today and will try and get Beckham tomorrow. The atmosphere and the intimate setting is what brings me back to SoxFest year after year.

chisoxfanatic
01-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Freddy Garcia gave a legendary performance in the Palmer House lobby tonight that was compairable to his 2005 World Series Game 4 victory!
Inquiring minds need to know...What did he do?

DrCrawdad
01-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Thats Stone Pony for you. He will always personalize everything

Even when Stone was with the Cubbies, I appreciated when "he analyzed" but I've always thought he was arrogant & condescending.

MARTINMVP
01-24-2010, 12:15 AM

I'm a germophobe and whenever I am at a restaurant or store and I have to sign a bill, I always pull out my own pen. I feel like a jackass half the time.

StillMissOzzie
01-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Sox handled the Buehrle wristbands perfectly. Gave them out at 7 am at the main entrance not at his door. Was funny watching the elevator cutters and stair dwellers panic trying to beat the system

:popcorn: Were you two at the same event? This should be interesting...

I saw Steve Stone at a WSCR remote with Murph at the Harry Caray restaurant in Lombard a while back. I went to get my card from when he was with the Sox, a Coke SGA version of his '78 (?) Topps card, signed. He insisted on ball point pen and personalization too. The personalization part didn't bother me, as I don't intend to sell it, but why the insistence of ball point pen? Every other card that I've gotten an autograph for from that set is in blue Sharpie. :(:

SMO

ewokpelts
01-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Hard to judge someone for collecting signatures. Yes, there are bad eggs out there, but most do this for fun.

Sides, I get my sox autos on ebay. autographed cards that come out of packs are guranteed authentic, and can be had cheap.

ewokpelts
01-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Why did stone freak out?he dosent do inscriptions that "may" make his autograph more valuable.

JB98
01-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Wow, I can say I met her before all this fandom! :bandance:

ChiSoxGirl was very tired when I spoke to her tonight. The demands of celebrity have already started to wear her out. :D:

BainesHOF
01-24-2010, 05:58 AM
Inquiring minds need to know...What did he do?

Garcia signed around a couple hundred autographs and took dozens of photos with fans. He received thunderous cheers and even led some. He was feeling no pain and good natured with everyone.

And let's just say he's not a big fan of the Cubs! LOL!!

Viva Medias B's
01-24-2010, 07:39 AM
I don't need autographs when I go to SoxFest. I like the seminars and the exhibitions. It's amazing when I gee guys in their 30s and 40s scrambling to get into the autograph lines holding their big binders of baseball cards.

hawkjt
01-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Garcia signed around a couple hundred autographs and took dozens of photos with fans. He received thunderous cheers and even led some. He was feeling no pain and good natured with everyone.

Aaahhh man, I love me some Freddy!!!
Please have a solid year,big guy...we need ya,and you need us!!!

tstrike2000
01-24-2010, 09:14 AM
ChiSoxGirl was very tired when I spoke to her tonight. The demands of celebrity have already started to wear her out. :D:

Partying all weekend, the poor baby.

skobabe8
01-24-2010, 10:35 AM
i don't need autographs when i go to soxfest. I like the seminars and the exhibitions. It's amazing when i gee guys in their 30s and 40s scrambling to get into the autograph lines holding their big binders of baseball cards.

+1

Cuck the Fubs
01-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I went for the first time ever this Saturday...I loved it!!!

Thanks to Chisoxgirl & Tstrike for the tutorial! :cool:

I'll be back next year!

stevemcstud
01-24-2010, 11:40 AM
I got Jake Peavy to do my Voice mail for my phone :)

"Hey this is Jake Peavy, you reached Steve's Phone. If this is Beau (my brother) Yankees suck! Leave a message after the tone".

bridgeportcopper
01-24-2010, 11:48 AM

"Hey this is Jake Peavy, you reached Steve's Phone. If this is Beau (my brother) Yankees suck! Leave a message after the tone".

that's pretty awesome.

Woofer
01-24-2010, 11:56 AM

That is one of the coolest things ever. I like these stories. I am going to get up to Soxfest next year. It's been too long.

Athrun
01-24-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm surprised that no one has said anything about Alexie being a switch hitter yet.

cards press box
01-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't need autographs when I go to SoxFest. I like the seminars and the exhibitions. It's amazing when I gee guys in their 30s and 40s scrambling to get into the autograph lines holding their big binders of baseball cards.

+2

I'm surprised that no one has said anything about Alexie being a switch hitter yet.

What? Did I read that last post correctly?

DirtySox
01-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Laumann said they will focus on pitching in the upcoming draft, as one would expect.

DirtySox
01-24-2010, 12:29 PM

What?

SoxSpeed22
01-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Laumann said they will focus on pitching in the upcoming draft, as one would expect.Good. We have traded many pitchers in our system recently. We need to restock.
Drew Pomeranz from Mississippi would be a nice start.
http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&ATCLID=1351393

DirtySox
01-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Good. We have traded many pitchers in our system recently. We need to restock.
Drew Pomeranz from Mississippi would be a nice start.
http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&ATCLID=1351393

His stock has dropped considerably this offseason, so it's entirely possible he's there at 13. He was initially considered a top 10 pick. Still really early to talk draft as volatile as it is. The draft board is going to look completely different in a few months. For what it's worth, pitchers that I'm a fan of that could be there mid-round are Alex Wimmers, Deck McGuire, Karsten Whitson, Chris Sale, and DeAndre Smelter.

Can't wait for college baseball to start.

Athrun
01-24-2010, 12:57 PM
What?
Alexie was doing some work with Walker right before Soxfest started. At one point Alexie turned around and started hitting from the other side of the plate. Turns our he's been a switch hitter for a long time and decided to give it up 2-3 years ago because he gets more power from the right side.

asindc
01-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Alexie was doing some work with Walker right before Soxfest started. At one point Alexie turned around and started hitting from the other side of the plate. Turns our he's been a switch hitter for a long time and decided to give it up 2-3 years ago because he gets more power from the right side.

It might be worthwhile to allow him a few ABs from the left side in ST to see what he has. Who knows, he might be able to lay down a few sac bunts or advance a runner on a grounder to the right side of the infield better that way.

cheezheadsoxfan
01-24-2010, 01:27 PM

Very cool! I'm getting more excited about Peavy every day.

TDog
01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
It might be worthwhile to allow him a few ABs from the left side in ST to see what he has. Who knows, he might be able to lay down a few sac bunts or advance a runner on a grounder to the right side of the infield better that way.

Ramirez has been a much better hitter against left-handed pitching. He has been a better slugger against left-handed pitching. Last season it wasn't even close. He had more success against righties as a rookie, hitting .281 vs. .312 against southpaws, but last season is was .248 vs. .370, and his eight sacrifice flies and five of his six sacrifice bunts came against righties. He had twice as many home runs against righties last year, but he had more than three times as many at bats.

It's possible that pitchers learned to do a better job exploiting his weaknesses against righties last season. Going back to switch-hitting might do the team some good.

It should be noted that, according to Jeff Cox, the White Sox bunting coach, Ramirez had never bunted before signing with the White Sox. The same holds true for Beckham.

DirtySox
01-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Sox to reinvest in Latin America market. Good to hear.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/white-sox-attempt-to-restore-efforts-in-latin-america.html

GoGoCrede
01-24-2010, 02:27 PM
My Twitter feed is 90 percent tweets about SoxFest right now. The Reifert/Cowley slapfest is always amusing to see.

I always like to read about the encounters people have with the players. Freddy seems like a nice guy from what I read earlier in this thread.

tstrike2000
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM

I'll be back next year!

No problem man, it was fun to hang out down there, and thanks for helping me get a Peavy jersey for $100!

soxnut1018
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I went to Soxfest for the very first time today, and all I did was watch the seminars. I got there early so I sat in the front row. It was awesome seeing JJ Putz and Matt Thornton, they were hilarious. I knew they were friends, but I didn't know how close they were. Also, it was funny to hear that the guys on the team make fun of John Danks for his celebration after the Griffey play in the Blackout game.

thomas35forever
01-24-2010, 04:38 PM

That is amazing. Epic, even.

skobabe8
01-24-2010, 05:56 PM
That is amazing. Epic, even.

Agreed.

stevemcstud
01-24-2010, 06:01 PM
About to head back on flight for California. My phone will be off so I'll leave my number up here for next few hours so you can listen to it.

951 two six five 0983

wish me safe travels.

Chrisaway
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM

I really wish I had thought to ask Gene Honda to do that.

Scottiehaswheels
01-24-2010, 06:53 PM
About to head back on flight for California. My phone will be off so I'll leave my number up here for next few hours so you can listen to it.

951 two six five 0983

wish me safe travels.
I think you got yourself a voicemail message for life.

hi im skot
01-24-2010, 06:53 PM

951 two six five 0983

wish me safe travels.

Have a safe journey, sir. I will be calling during halftime. If your flight gets delayed and you see a 309 phone number coming in, it's me.

Brian26
01-24-2010, 07:05 PM

I talked to a couple of people in line this morning that were going to have Freddy sign an item in the lobby last night but quickly pulled it away after seeing what his drunk signature looked like.

Brian26
01-24-2010, 07:11 PM

This coming from the 40-year old guy with a Marist High School Fight Song in his sig? Perhaps you can ease up on the judgemental statements.

GoGoCrede
01-24-2010, 07:14 PM

951 two six five 0983

wish me safe travels.

Jeez, would it have killed Jake to enunciate? :redneck

Happy and safe travels! That voicemail was awesome. Even my Cubs fan roommate was impressed. :smile:

manders_01
01-24-2010, 07:29 PM

951 two six five 0983

wish me safe travels.

Dude that's so cool! :thumbsup: Thanks for letting us listen to it.

Hope you had a good flight!

ChiSoxGirl
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM

That's me at 0:43! It seems that getting myself in the paper or in pictures online while at SoxFest is becoming somewhat of a tradition for me. :wink: A few people at SoxFest came up to me and told me they recognized me from the picture in the paper, and the FanFoto guy at Nix's picture this morning said, "I'm pretty sure you're in a video on whitesox.com," and I told him I was aware (I was lurking on WSI on my phone whenever I had down time). I've got to admit, though... I'm diggin' this whole celebrity status I'm achieving!

I was literally one of the last five people to get a Buehrle wristband yesterday morning, but I didn't get mine 'til I went up to the sixth floor and waited in the line after everyone dispersed from the Empire Room and went their separate ways.

Perhaps this is the case, given how this is becoming an annual occurrence!

Soon she will have an autograph session at Soxfest too....:redneck

They ought to give me something! After all, this was my 18th SoxFest... they've had 19. 'Nuff said!

She's purrrdy. :redface:

Awwww, thanks! :redface:

ChiSoxGirl is STILL very tired! I got just three and a half hours of sleep last night, bringing the weekend's grand total to six and a half. I love SoxFest and look forward to it all year, but as I told a Guest Service worker while waiting in line to get my picture taken with Beckham this morning, I couldn't wait to get home because I was exhausted!

I'll be back next year!

You're very welcome! I look forward to another weekend of constant laughter! :D:

951 two six five 0983

wish me safe travels.

I just called your number... that is seriously AWESOME!!!! :D:

Harry Potter
01-24-2010, 07:48 PM
This coming from the 40-year old guy with a Marist High School Fight Song in his sig? Perhaps you can ease up on the judgemental statements.

Viva just got pwned :cool:

Viva Medias B's
01-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Viva just got pwned :cool:

Yeah, having the high school alma mater's fight song in the sig is just like that binder carrying 40-year-old in the Peavy autograph line. There is nothing wrong with people over the age of 18 enjoying high school sports.

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2010, 07:56 PM

951 two six five 0983

wish me safe travels.
I just dialed...That is ****ing awesome!!!

Shoeless_Jeff
01-24-2010, 08:06 PM

951 two six five 0983

wish me safe travels.

That rules so much.

VMSNS
01-24-2010, 08:11 PM

951 two six five 0983

wish me safe travels.

Best. Voicemail. Ever. :bandance:

Brian26
01-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, having the high school alma mater's fight song in the sig is just like that binder carrying 40-year-old in the Peavy autograph line. There is nothing wrong with people over the age of 18 enjoying high school sports.

Dude, I'm going to take it easy on you. I'd suggest you drop the subject. For the record, I didn't give a **** about high school sports while I was in high school, let alone 20 years later.

Back to the topic, I agree with you that the seminars were great and are worth the price of admission. I watched every Saturday and Sunday seminar this year, except for skipping out of the Brooks Boyer/Mike Mazza seminar on Saturday for about 30 minutes to get lunch. I like autographs though, so I got Peavy on Saturday morning and Freddy and Pierre on Sunday morning before the first seminars began.

I really like Juan Pierre's attitude, and there's a nice chemistry between Beckham and him already (you could see this on the stage). Pierre was a pleasant surprise. Putz seems like a good guy too.

JB98
01-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Dude, I'm going to take it easy on you. I'd suggest you drop the subject. For the record, I didn't give a **** about high school sports while I was in high school, let alone 20 years later.

Back to the topic, I agree with you that the seminars were great and are worth the price of admission. I watched every Saturday and Sunday seminar this year, except for skipping out of the Brooks Boyer/Mike Mazza seminar on Saturday for about 30 minutes to get lunch. I like autographs though, so I got Peavy on Saturday morning and Freddy and Pierre on Sunday morning before the first seminars began.

I really like Juan Pierre's attitude, and there's a nice chemistry between Beckham and him already (you could see this on the stage). Pierre was a pleasant surprise. Putz seems like a good guy too.

Fearless prediction: Putz will prove to be Kenny's best offseason acquisition this year.

DumpJerry
01-24-2010, 08:38 PM
http://trzyzero.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/bundy1.jpg
Did I ever mention that touchdown run I had in high school? Well, we had the ball and.....

Domeshot17
01-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Ok not on my phone so I can give a quick pro con summary from my weekend stay:

I will say again, I don't know what happened to Baineshof, he may have been screwed, but I was incredibly impressed with Buehrle's session. Last year, People got in line at midnight for Jim Thome. His autograph line was literally full by 5 in the morning. However, the Sox staff was overwhelmed by people trying to cut and beat the system, running down the stairwells, taking the elevators and not going in the main entrance. There was NO ORDER to it, it was literally, complete, CHAOS.

This year, the Sox did the fans right. You got in line early, you got a wristband. They started going down the line before the entrance at like 7 am, before the doors opened, and the people who waited got in.

RUMOR HAS IT, and I just heard this in line so I could be wrong, they gave out an extra 50-75 wristbands at the door Because Burls said he would sign more autographs when he heard there was 1500 people in line for 325 autographs from him. Again, just a rumor.

The downside, the Sox didn't tell fans until the morning of his signing he has a MASSIVE restricted list. Can't sign anything perfect game. Can't sign jerseys, can't sign bats, can't sign large photos among many others. That said, Burls seemed VERY WILLING to accommodate fans on items. I also can't blame the Sox for Buehrle's personal autograph contract.

Now, after that, was a total chaos with Quentin's autograph/AJ's photo. For some reason, the kids in charge had EVERYONE IN THE SAME LINE.

Beckham and Peavy are awesome guys. Beckham signed anything for anyone, and even signed during his photo session which is kind of a no no. AJ and Quentin also great as usual. Quentin signed my wife's ball THE Carlos Quentin, which was awesome.

Touching story here I have to say: John Danks, I hope this guy never plays for another team. My sister has been in and out of the hospital for over a year now. She was partially paralyzed in a bad cheerleading accident, and the pain has been awful. Danks signed for her, personalized it get well, took a photo with us the next day in the lobby after hours and said something along the lines of when he can do something like that if it helps her at all even just for a few minutes hes glad to help.

The Freddy stories, are, well true. He was hammered, drinking Martini's like water according to a security guard. Came down to the lobby, went on a massive massive rant about how much he hates the cubs, finally his wife and someone else took him to bed he looked like a dog caught eating the garbage. head down tail between his legs. This morning, he was 10 minutes late to his signing, apparently he had to be helped to get dressed, and couldn't open his eyes for a lot of the session haha.

They said 2000 more people were there Saturday versus Friday.

Bobby Jenks does look awesome. Pierre is a nice guy. As stated earlier, Steve Stone is a jerk.

Brian26
01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
The Freddy stories, are, well true. He was hammered, drinking Martini's like water according to a security guard. Came down to the lobby, went on a massive massive rant about how much he hates the cubs, finally his wife and someone else took him to bed he looked like a dog caught eating the garbage. head down tail between his legs. This morning, he was 10 minutes late to his signing, apparently he had to be helped to get dressed, and couldn't open his eyes for a lot of the session haha.

I saw this firsthand this morning. After he showed up late for his 9am signing, about ten more minutes into the session two Palmer House staffers brought down a pot of coffee, cream, sugar and two coffee cups and put them on the table for Freddy. He looked like he was in pain. I honestly didn't think he was even going to show up.

yazz32
01-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Didn't Freddy have a 1PM Photo Session also today?
Wow must have been rough to do double duty of autographs and photo!

ChiSoxGirl
01-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Ok not on my phone so I can give a quick pro con summary from my weekend stay:

I will say again, I don't know what happened to Baineshof, he may have been screwed, but I was incredibly impressed with Buehrle's session. Last year, People got in line at midnight for Jim Thome. His autograph line was literally full by 5 in the morning. However, the Sox staff was overwhelmed by people trying to cut and beat the system, running down the stairwells, taking the elevators and not going in the main entrance. There was NO ORDER to it, it was literally, complete, CHAOS.

This year, the Sox did the fans right. You got in line early, you got a wristband. They started going down the line before the entrance at like 7 am, before the doors opened, and the people who waited got in.

RUMOR HAS IT, and I just heard this in line so I could be wrong, they gave out an extra 50-75 wristbands at the door Because Burls said he would sign more autographs when he heard there was 1500 people in line for 325 autographs from him. Again, just a rumor.

The downside, the Sox didn't tell fans until the morning of his signing he has a MASSIVE restricted list. Can't sign anything perfect game. Can't sign jerseys, can't sign bats, can't sign large photos among many others. That said, Burls seemed VERY WILLING to accommodate fans on items. I also can't blame the Sox for Buehrle's personal autograph contract.

Now, after that, was a total chaos with Quentin's autograph/AJ's photo. For some reason, the kids in charge had EVERYONE IN THE SAME LINE.

Beckham and Peavy are awesome guys. Beckham signed anything for anyone, and even signed during his photo session which is kind of a no no. AJ and Quentin also great as usual. Quentin signed my wife's ball THE Carlos Quentin, which was awesome.

Touching story here I have to say: John Danks, I hope this guy never plays for another team. My sister has been in and out of the hospital for over a year now. She was partially paralyzed in a bad cheerleading accident, and the pain has been awful. Danks signed for her, personalized it get well, took a photo with us the next day in the lobby after hours and said something along the lines of when he can do something like that if it helps her at all even just for a few minutes hes glad to help.

They said 2000 more people were there Saturday versus Friday.

Bobby Jenks does look awesome. Pierre is a nice guy. As stated earlier, Steve Stone is a jerk.

Shortly before Buehrls arrived at the Palmer House yesterday morning (he was staying elsewhere), Christine O'Reilly reiterated what the signs all around his autograph session stated about what he would and would not sign. I was in line with Cuck the Fubs, who noticed Buehrle was signing jerseys, hats, pictures larger than 11x14, Perfect Game items, etc., and decided to try and have his jersey signed. Buehrle didn't scoff at it at all and happily signed it for him. Another friend I was with had her season ticket holder Perfect Game watercolor personalized, which also was not frowned upon. On a personal note, I was impressed that when I asked if we could lean in for a picture, he agreed!

Like you, I was extremely impressed with both Beckham and Peavy. Both are very personable and seemed to enjoy the interactions with the fans and the atmosphere in general. I had my picture taken with Gordon this morning and he shook my hand and asked how I was doing before the pictures were taken. I was highly impressed with how gracious he was! And as a side note to the other female posters, Peavy has the most beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen. :wink: :redface:

I had my picture taken with the Sweaty One last night before the Apple Martinis took affect and unfortunately, didn't stick around long enough to see that happen or hear his tirade about how he hates the Cubs. We ditched the lobby bar shortly before 9p for Potter's instead.

Yesterday and today were definitely more crowded than Friday, but that's a given. However, I somehow managed to get more autographs on Saturday when I was in competition with 2000 more people than on Friday.... :scratch:

MARTINMVP
01-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Wow... these stories all sound fantastic. I hate crowds and lines so I never go to big events like these. I toyed with the idea of asking one of my buddies if he wanted to go, but I read some of the threads a few weeks ago here from some people who don't like Sox Fest and think it is a ripoff - that kind of detracted me.

I'm going next year. No ifs or buts about it.

ChiSoxGirl
01-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Wow... these stories all sound fantastic. I hate crowds and lines so I never go to big events like these. I toyed with the idea of asking one of my buddies if he wanted to go, but I read some of the threads a few weeks ago here from some people who don't like Sox Fest and think it is a ripoff - that kind of detracted me.

I'm going next year. No ifs or buts about it.

Definitely don't let those threads from a few weeks ago discourage you from such a great event because the good times and sometimes epic stories definitely outweigh the bad. I've been going to this event for 18 years and the only time I walked away disappointed was 2006, but that had everything to do with the Sox overselling the event by like 13,000 people and nothing to do with SoxFest in general. The atmosphere, seeing the players and hanging out amongst them for the weekend, and being among many Sox fans is well worth everything to me... even the lack of sleep the weekend provides every year!

Redus Redux
01-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Fearless prediction: Putz will prove to be Kenny's best offseason acquisition this year.

Fearless would be saying that about... i dunno, Dolsi?

Brian26
01-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Salty and I walked with Juan Nieves over to Corner Bakery after the last session today.

I asked him if the Sox require him to come these events or if they make it worth his while. He said the organization makes it worth his while and takes care of the hotel room & plane ticket. I also asked him whom he won his other World Series rings with (he said he had three rings during the seminar). Other than '05, he won in '96 and '97 with the Yankees. He said he's a "winner and likes to win". He asked us what we thought of the event and the weekend. Seemed like a cool guy and was really enjoying our company.

LoveYourSuit
01-24-2010, 09:58 PM
what's this Steve Stone being jerk I saw posted earlier :scratch:

Brian26
01-24-2010, 10:02 PM
This blew my mind. Dick Kay, of all people, was at Soxfest all weekend, dressed in Sox garb with a BP hat and going through autograph lines. I did a double-take, and then I heard him talking to somebody and knew it was him.

Domeshot17
01-24-2010, 10:09 PM
what's this Steve Stone being jerk I saw posted earlier :scratch:

I have no problem with some guys not signing inscriptions (MVP, Cy Young, ROTY etc etc). But Stone is just rude to anyone who asks, like no joke acts like you are asking him for a kidney. He freaks out over what pen to sign with, signs balls upside down on purpose, and complained the entire time to the sox staff about how many people were in line.

LoveYourSuit
01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I have no problem with some guys not signing inscriptions (MVP, Cy Young, ROTY etc etc). But Stone is just rude to anyone who asks, like no joke acts like you are asking him for a kidney. He freaks out over what pen to sign with, signs balls upside down on purpose, and complained the entire time to the sox staff about how many people were in line.

Did this happen during his signing session? or did he even have a signing session?

yazz32
01-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Stone and Hawk had an autograph signing session on saturday at 1pm I believe

Domeshot17
01-24-2010, 10:36 PM
He signed with Hawk. This isn't like people found him in his hotel room.

SoxNation05
01-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Beckham really is as great as advertized. I remember at ST last year he stayed until he signed for every single person and he took many pictures. I went with 6 guys in my faimily and he took about 5-8 different pictures with us.

flo-B-flo
01-24-2010, 10:59 PM

"Hey this is Jake Peavy, you reached Steve's Phone. If this is Beau (my brother) Yankees suck! Leave a message after the tone". That's just brilliant......:D:

It's Dankerific
01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
This blew my mind. Dick Kay, of all people, was at Soxfest all weekend, dressed in Sox garb with a BP hat and going through autograph lines. I did a double-take, and then I heard him talking to somebody and knew it was him.

Who is Dick Kay?

SOXfnNlansing
01-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Who is Dick Kay?

I was at a rodeo in the late '70s (International Amphitheater) and I was really excited to see Dick wearing a big cowboy hat. He was in a row behind us. I was probably 10 years old. He was a news anchor on channel 5 for years, then was 'promoted' to cover political events and provide commentary.

BainesHOF
01-25-2010, 02:53 AM
This is the year that Soxfest jumped the shark.

Buehrle's autograph session was run horribly. I had Buehrle's "Perfection" poster dry-mounted and showed up in line at 4 a.m. Less than an hour before his scheduled 9 a.m. session, a worker starts yelling down a hallway to get in a separate line for Buehrle. Shortly after that, Soxfest czar Christine O'Reilly announces that he'll only sign certain items and won't sign others, including posters, jerseys, bats, helmets because of some charity agreement. Great, I'm plunking down $150 for a hotel and Soxfest pass and now I'm being told a player isn't going to sign a poster that was a team giveaway. What especially got me mad is that O'Reilly was announcing this flanked by a professionally printed sign saying what Buehrle would and wouldn't sign. So obviously this information was known ahead of time, but for some reason was not posted on the Website and not made known at Soxfest until the last minute. That's ridiculous with O'Reilly knowing that people would have to line up in the wee hours of the morning in order to get Buehrle. I told O'Reilly that the poster was the only item I had with me. She basically told me I was out of luck. Nice. Real nice. Apparently I'm the dummy for spending $150 and arriving in line at 4 a.m. to have a team giveaway signed. Next year I'll have to call the player before arriving to see what their autograph policy is going to be since the Sox can't properly communicate such information to their guests.

But it gets even worse. As I'm waiting outside the room waiting for Gordon Beckham, I'm seeing one person after another walk out of Buehrle's signing with signatures on items that O'Reilly and the sign said he wouldn't. What the heck?! Once again, I'm the dummy for thinking that O'Reilly knew what she was talking about and for not being confrontational enough to stay in line and stick the poster in front of Buehrle.

The stars signed fewer autographs at this Soxfest. In many cases, they signed for fewer sessions and fewer autographs per session. Not sure why Buehrle, who wasn't at Soxfest last year, appeared at just one session, but he wasn't the only one. Sunday's schedule looked like many players just didn't want to stick around for the third day. I talked to one mom who came with her son to Soxfest for the first time on Sunday and she told me she wished she would have known what the schedule was going to be like before she bought tickets because she would have opted for Saturday.

Photo sessions were doubled this year, but came at the expense of autographs. Judging by the lines for each, autographs are clearly more in demand. It was silly to be in the same room waiting for a Garcia signing to start while Baines was in his photo session with nobody in line. I would have loved to have my picture taken with Baines, but rules wouldn't allow it while I wore a Garcia autograph wristband.

Friday was not the autograph bonanza for hotel guests that it's been in the past. Lines were long and bands disappeared quicker.

That said, I still had plenty of fun thanks to friends and the players who were cool. I'll never forget Garcia having fun hanging with fans in the lobby Saturday night. That was an all-time Soxfest highlight. I still can't believe how loud the cheers were for him while he was holding court for well over an hour, signing away, posing for photos and making his feelings for the Cubs known. Jake Peavy was super cool with everyone. So was Gordon Beckham, Juan Pierre and Jon Danks. Paul Konerko was professional as usual.

I thought the Palmer House staff did an excellent job.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-25-2010, 05:32 AM

Buehrle's autograph session was run horribly. I had Buehrle's "Perfection" poster dry-mounted and showed up in line at 4 a.m. Less than an hour before his scheduled 9 a.m. session, a worker starts yelling down a hallway to get in a separate line for Buehrle. Shortly after that, Soxfest czar Christine O'Reilly announces that he'll only sign certain items and won't sign others, including posters, jerseys, bats, helmets because of some charity agreement. Great, I'm plunking down $150 for a hotel and Soxfest pass and now I'm being told a player isn't going to sign a poster that was a team giveaway. What especially got me mad is that O'Reilly was announcing this flanked by a professionally printed sign saying what Buehrle would and wouldn't sign. So obviously this information was known ahead of time, but for some reason was not posted on the Website and not made known at Soxfest until the last minute. That's ridiculous with O'Reilly knowing that people would have to line up in the wee hours of the morning in order to get Buehrle. I told O'Reilly that the poster was the only item I had with me. She basically told me I was out of luck. Nice. Real nice. Apparently I'm the dummy for spending $150 and arriving in line at 4 a.m. to have a team giveaway signed. Next year I'll have to call the player before arriving to see what their autograph policy is going to be since the Sox can't properly communicate such information to their guests.

But it gets even worse. As I'm waiting outside the room waiting for Gordon Beckham, I'm seeing one person after another walk out of Buehrle's signing with signatures on items that O'Reilly and the sign said he wouldn't. What the heck?! Once again, I'm the dummy for thinking that O'Reilly knew what she was talking about and for not being confrontational enough to stay in line and stick the poster in front of Buehrle.

The stars signed fewer autographs at this Soxfest. In many cases, they signed for fewer sessions and fewer autographs per session. Not sure why Buehrle, who wasn't at Soxfest last year, appeared at just one session, but he wasn't the only one. Sunday's schedule looked like many players just didn't want to stick around for the third day. I talked to one mom who came with her son to Soxfest for the first time on Sunday and she told me she wished she would have known what the schedule was going to be like before she bought tickets because she would have opted for Saturday.

Photo sessions were doubled this year, but came at the expense of autographs. Judging by the lines for each, autographs are clearly more in demand. It was silly to be in the same room waiting for a Garcia signing to start while Baines was in his photo session with nobody in line. I would have loved to have my picture taken with Baines, but rules wouldn't allow it while I wore a Garcia autograph wristband.

Friday was not the autograph bonanza for hotel guests that it's been in the past. Lines were long and bands disappeared quicker.

That said, I still had plenty of fun thanks to friends and the players who were cool. I'll never forget Garcia having fun hanging with fans in the lobby Saturday night. That was an all-time Soxfest highlight. I still can't believe how loud the cheers were for him while he was holding court for well over an hour, signing away, posing for photos and making his feelings for the Cubs known. Jake Peavy was super cool with everyone. So was Gordon Beckham, Juan Pierre and Jon Danks. Paul Konerko was professional as usual.

Sounds like you had a ton of bad luck. I've had my fair share of bad experiences at Soxfest, as I'm sure everyone has. Decided to skip this year since I already had most of the team. But last year for instance, Quentin signed a contract in between two of his sessions that prevented him from signing baseballs in certain spots. So those who got him before hand got whatever, while I had to settle for a ball that didn't match my collection (not that big of a deal, but still). I guess **** happens but it is a disappointment when it happens at these events which are supposed to be for the fans. You want a real headache, go to the Bears fan appreciation; did that once and I will never go back. As for the Buehrle signing, makes total sense that he couldn't sign "Perfect Game" or "No-Hitter" but to limit which items is complete bull, which is probably why he chose to sign them. Personally what I would have done was get the wristband and then walk up to the front of the line to see what everyone else was doing. If I remember correctly, and unless they changed the wristbands from last year, they were pretty easy to remove without breaking, so even if you didn't want to bother with the Buehrle line, you could have probably given it away to someone else. At least you were still able to have a good time. I'm actually really surprised that the staff was reliable because in my previous experience they were all idiots.

soxfanreggie
01-25-2010, 08:26 AM

:cool:

That is simply awesome!

I hope everyone who went had a great time at Soxfest!...or at least some good memories to overshadow any bad ones.

BubblingCalderon
01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't really understand why everyone gets mad at Stone for the way he acts towards signing autographs. My brother was telling me a story Stone told on the radio about someone asking him to do a CY young inscription. Stone replied, I'll tell you what, I'll sign my name and then you can write in whatever you want.

Stone is a great baseball mind. He's one of the best analysts in baseball because he thinks through. It's just who he is. It would be safe to say that his analytical thought process doesn't stop at baseball. He likely thinks about about the same autograph hounds everyone on here seems to talk negatively about.

I also don't get why people don't like personalized autographs. I can't think of a single reason why an autograph from Steve Stone with your name is bad unless you plan on selling it. Even if you plan on passing the autographs to your children. For example, explain why an autograph from Nellie Fox signed to your grandfather is dumb. I think Stone analyzed autograph hounds and tried to eliminate them while at the same time giving autographs to people who would truly cherish them.

salty99
01-25-2010, 11:34 AM
That is a good point. He does however Sweet Spot baseballs at Soxfest with no personalization which I have never seen him do outside of Soxfest.

Domeshot17
01-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't really understand why everyone gets mad at Stone for the way he acts towards signing autographs. My brother was telling me a story Stone told on the radio about someone asking him to do a CY young inscription. Stone replied, I'll tell you what, I'll sign my name and then you can write in whatever you want.

Stone is a great baseball mind. He's one of the best analysts in baseball because he thinks through. It's just who he is. It would be safe to say that his analytical thought process doesn't stop at baseball. He likely thinks about about the same autograph hounds everyone on here seems to talk negatively about.

I also don't get why people don't like personalized autographs. I can't think of a single reason why an autograph from Steve Stone with your name is bad unless you plan on selling it. Even if you plan on passing the autographs to your children. For example, explain why an autograph from Nellie Fox signed to your grandfather is dumb. I think Stone analyzed autograph hounds and tried to eliminate them while at the same time giving autographs to people who would truly cherish them.

Again, it isn't the matter of saying no, that is perfectly fine. It was Stone making a big deal/biting peoples heads off. Example:

When Burls tossed his no hitter, people kept asking him to sign it no hitter. He was just polite "Sorry, I can't, but I can personalize it if you want", no one had a problem. Jim Thome same thing with 500. It honstly has NOTHING to do with him saying no.

I can agree with the autograph hounds to an extent, but you know, Go on ebay, there is maybe 10 items from Sox Fest up, out of what, 5000 signed autographs? 7500 maybe?

Also, don't sit there and complain about the Fans, in front of the fans. Stone is still a GREAT baseball mind. I love him as an announcer.

tstrike2000
01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
At Soxfest I heard about Hawk's book and was intrigued, but I heard someone say they had a hard time finding it. Does anyone know about his book and/or where to find it?

Domeshot17
01-25-2010, 11:47 AM

I can agree on the item thing. It was handled as poorly as it could be. You would think Christine O'Rielly would have had the common sense to put that sign up in various spots friday night to give people a chance. Or they could have printed a little card that went with your entry lanyards in the big envelopes you get for checking in. Hell, that sign was probably ordered 2 weeks ago if not longer, post it on the website.

I was mostly impressed with the wristband approach for him this year.

I also agree, no idea what was up with so few players coming and not staying.

tacosalbarojas
01-25-2010, 12:33 PM
At Soxfest I heard about Hawk's book and was intrigued, but I heard someone say they had a hard time finding it. Does anyone know about his book and/or where to find it?Didn't see it on Amazon, but found this:

http://www.alibris.co.uk/search/books/qwork/2829328/used/Hawk,

Nelfox02
01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I also had a Buehrle related run in with O'Rielly over the weekend, and like my other conversations with her over the years at Sox Fest, it was not pleasant. I was at the front of the line on Friday, they moved us up into the hallway on the second floor and I saw here standing at the esclators leading to the third floor. I went up to her and politely said "Christine, the daily southtop posted on the web today that Mark will not sign ANY item related to his perfect game. I understand he cannot incribe PG 7-23-09 or anything like that, but will he not even sign related items?" She immediately took a very condescending tone and replied "do you believe everything you read on the internet?" I told her that I am not an idiot, but this was a newsgroup site, not some blog, and it cited a soxfest official as a source. She then went on this long speal about how any player can refuse to sign any item BUT Sox Fest knew of, nor had any, ruling about what Mark would or would not sign and that she knows he would not inscribe PG, but will sign the items. Why must she always be rude or adversarial with the people who are paying hundreds of dollars to attend an event she is running? Is it not HER JOB to work with us and answer questions just like the one I asked her? If I treated my customers the way she has treated me (and apparently others based on posts I ve read on this site over the years) I would lose my job within a few hours.....

Key point---she told me there would be signs regarding this topic out that night. After the fest closed and we were milling about the lobby, I looked everywhere for the sings, nothing. As was pointed out earlier, why were those signs not up on Friday? Or before Sox Fest?

The sad part is it actually worked out better for me (and more than a few others) that this info was not out ahead of time because Mark was gracious enough to sign my 16 x 20 with no issue at all. Had that information been on the web site I would not have brought my photo. I feel for the guy who posted that he did not get his item signed and then watched people walking out with autographs on items on the "banned" list. That very nearly happened to me Mark's willingness to accomadate fan's varied items AND to sign more autographs than he was originally set to do demonstrates yet again how good of a guy he really is

overall a great fest totally off topic---but did anyone else have Danks sign something for you this year and notice his autograph really changed from what it used to be? I got him to sign some stuff at Sox Fest last year for me, and if you compare this year you would think it was a different guy.....never seen that happen before

salty99
01-25-2010, 12:47 PM
overall a great fest totally off topic---but did anyone else have Danks sign something for you this year and notice his autograph really changed from what it used to be? I got him to sign some stuff at Sox Fest last year for me, and if you compare this year you would think it was a different guy.....never seen that happen before

I noticed that too so I went straight to the source and asked Danks. He said his dad yelled at him that nobody could make out his autograph so he changed it. Then he laughed as he said that people probably can't make this one out either.

EMachine10
01-25-2010, 12:48 PM
At Soxfest I heard about Hawk's book and was intrigued, but I heard someone say they had a hard time finding it. Does anyone know about his book and/or where to find it?
I've read it. It's a good read if you'd like to hear Hawk talk about how excellent he is at anything he tries. :D:

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I noticed that too so I went straight to the source and asked Danks. He said his dad yelled at him that nobody could make out his autograph so he changed it. Then he laughed as he said that people probably can't make this one out either.

Nice. That's something else. Guess that makes my 3 baseballs rare now.

ewokpelts
01-25-2010, 01:17 PM

I also don't get why people don't like personalized autographs. I can't think of a single reason why an autograph from Steve Stone with your name is bad unless you plan on selling it. Even if you plan on passing the autographs to your children. For example, explain why an autograph from Nellie Fox signed to your grandfather is dumb. I think Stone analyzed autograph hounds and tried to eliminate them while at the same time giving autographs to people who would truly cherish them.his autograph isnt worth much. i dont see why he cares about it.

ewokpelts
01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
About Buehrle's autograph contract:

He cant INSCRIBE anything related to the PERFECT GAME. He will, however, sign perfect game items(photos, prints, ect) just without any mention of the perfect game.
I spoke with a staffer from the auto company that he has his deal(MLBPA Allumni Association) who was at soxfest.

The same thing happened with his no-hitter in 2007.

Quentin4prez
01-25-2010, 01:26 PM
i had so much fun at soxfest on sunday. My girlfriend surprised me with it for our anniversary which is awesome in itself because she does not like baseball. Bu anyway in my experience Matt thornton was a great guy and was very funny. He even went out to the ballroom after his signing session and signed for 45 minutes it was really cool. Also Gordon Beckham is a very nice guy too his autograph session sold out at like 845 so i decided to get a pic with him instead and watched as people were joking with him up on the stage having him do different poses it was awesome he didn't have an issue at all with it. On the flip side Ron kittle was a huge jerk i was in line for Carlos quentin and noticed he had a photo session with knowone showing up so i walked over and started talking to him. He didn't seem too happy and then my girlfriend walked over and asked if he could sign my bat. and he was like well this is a photo session so no... i was like OK well ill take a picture then please. But you would think that if absolutely knowone shows up for your photo session you would be willing to sign to get people. And later on in the day after that i saw him talking to Harold baines and baines was signing stuff while he was talking so i went over and asked if they could sign my bat and baines took it then handed it too kittle and he says no I'm signing at 1.... but despite the lack of players and kittles unwillingness to sign i had a great time.
P.S. i was saying all day the only other time i went to soxfest was after the 04 season and the sox won the world series so I'm hoping i am good luck =)))

hi im skot
01-25-2010, 01:45 PM
i had so much fun at soxfest on sunday. My girlfriend surprised me with it for our anniversary which is awesome in itself because she does not like baseball. Bu anyway in my experience Matt thornton was a great guy and was very funny. He even went out to the ballroom after his signing session and signed for 45 minutes it was really cool. Also Gordon Beckham is a very nice guy too his autograph session sold out at like 845 so i decided to get a pic with him instead and watched as people were joking with him up on the stage having him do different poses it was awesome he didn't have an issue at all with it. On the flip side Ron kittle was a huge jerk i was in line for Carlos quentin and noticed he had a photo session with knowone showing up so i walked over and started talking to him. He didn't seem too happy and then my girlfriend walked over and asked if he could sign my bat. and he was like well this is a photo session so no... i was like OK well ill take a picture then please. But you would think that if absolutely knowone shows up for your photo session you would be willing to sign to get people. And later on in the day after that i saw him talking to Harold baines and baines was signing stuff while he was talking so i went over and asked if they could sign my bat and baines took it then handed it too kittle and he says no I'm signing at 1.... but despite the lack of players and kittles unwillingness to sign i had a great time.
P.S. i was saying all day the only other time i went to soxfest was after the 04 season and the sox won the world series so I'm hoping i am good luck =)))

If your conversation with Kittle was anything like this post, I can't say I blame him...

TDog
01-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Didn't see it on Amazon, but found this:

http://www.alibris.co.uk/search/books/qwork/2829328/used/Hawk,

According to Alibris, no one has bought a copy of this book online since October 2008 when a copy was sold on the Barnes & Noble Web site for $17.50. An autographed copy in very good condition was sold on the Borders Web site in May 2005 for $19.50. Amazon doesn't have any copies listed, and it doesn't appear to be in its inventory. Half.com has an inventory page for the book, but none currently listed for sale. Alibris (which now handles the BN and Borders online book selling, has one copy listed from a Maryland seller on its U.S. site and four copies on its UK site, shipping from California, New Hampshire, Alabama and New York. The three copies under $20 on the UK site are ex-library books, retired from circulation and sold to raise money for their former homes, probably for under $1 at the time. When you buy such a book, you also face a $3.99 charge for shipping it Media Mail.

It looks like the book had only one printing, in 1969 and never came out in paperback. It was probably sold widely only in New England, as it would be a Red Sox book written ("as told to", anyway) by the Boston sports biographer who wrote the Jimmy Piersall and Carl Yastrzemski bios of the day. Harrelson was traded to Cleveland early in the 1969 season, which, no doubt, hurt sales and relegated the book to obscurity.

It is possible that the people who have listed the book would be happy to get it off their shelves. If you're interested in the book, you might e-mail the sellers. Generally, this can be done by clicking on the name of the seller on the Alibris listing and then clicking on the "contact" icon. You might be able to negotiate a better price.

tstrike2000
01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
On the flip side Ron kittle was a huge jerk i was in line for Carlos quentin and noticed he had a photo session with knowone showing up so i walked over and started talking to him. He didn't seem too happy and then my girlfriend walked over and asked if he could sign my bat. and he was like well this is a photo session so no... i was like OK well ill take a picture then please. But you would think that if absolutely knowone shows up for your photo session you would be willing to sign to get people.

I agree with the Kittle part in that he was the one guy reluctant to sign my baseball when I was talking to him in the White Sox Charities area. He mentioned he wasn't supposed to sign anything except at his designated signing time. In his defense, he was outside in that area most of the day and wanted to people to buy stuff and not just fish for an autograph. Greg Walker and Harold Baines, on the other hand, were approachable and you could get an autograph though they weren't as quite as available during the course of the day as Kittle was.

GoGoCrede
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to why some players can't sign certain things on autographs, or why some players will only sign baseballs in a certain spot? I'm completely ignorant of anything autograph-related and I'm curious.

That said, if I were to go to Soxfest, I think I'd shoot for just one autograph and/or just one photo, then go to all the Q&A sessions/presentations with my camera. Those seem to be the most fun.

BubblingCalderon
01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Key point---she told me there would be signs regarding this topic out that night. After the fest closed and we were milling about the lobby, I looked everywhere for the sings, nothing. As was pointed out earlier, why were those signs not up on Friday? Or before Sox Fest?

I actually saw the Buehrle sign in the shop area on Friday night. If you walked through the shop counter-clockwise it was located at the end. It was angled so it was easier to see if you were exiting the bathroom than just walking through the shop. Also, I briefly looked at the stand that had the Buehrle perfect game autographs on Friday. The person at the stand informed me about the rules in an attempt to sell me on one of his products.

I saw a couple people walk out of the Buehrle signing because they had larger items. I felt bad for them when he signed all of the larger items.

BubblingCalderon
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to why some players can't sign certain things on autographs, or why some players will only sign baseballs in a certain spot? I'm completely ignorant of anything autograph-related and I'm curious.

They sign exclusive autograph contracts with memorabilia companies that's prevent them from signing certain things certain ways.

If I was Buehrle I would have done the same thing. Just imagine signing 350 autographs and writing an inscription in each one. Its allot easier to sign your name than to sign and write out an inscription.

KenBerryGrab
01-25-2010, 03:03 PM
That darn Kittle. How dare he follow the rules?

GoGoCrede
01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
If your conversation with Kittle was anything like this post, I can't say I blame him...

Maybe it's just me, but I found it hard to read a single word of that post. (Although I'm sorry he had a bad time)

LoveYourSuit
01-25-2010, 03:39 PM
That darn Kittle. How dare he follow the rules?

I agree.

They should follow the rules. It is not fair for those people who get in line at the designated areas and times for autograhps. You should not be a jerks as a fan and not respect that. I did not chase anyone for autographs or photos. Basically I just sat thru a few hours of those Seminars which IMO is the single best reason to go to this event.

But I can see how the players can be annoyed. I was annoyed just watching it myself. Adults especially. Let the guys go out about their business at what they were assigned to do. What happens if Kittle signs that one autograph? All hell breaks lose with everyone rushing up to him thinking it's a free for all autograph session.

You can't please everyone.

And for the record, I have bumpped into Kittle around the ballpark a few times and he's been one of the nicest guys employed by the Sox you will ever meet. I was holding a camera around my neck one time and having just shaked his hand he told my buddy to take a picture of the two of us without me even asking him. Very cool guy IMO.

hi im skot
01-25-2010, 03:56 PM
I agree.

They should follow the rules. It is not fair for those people who get in line at the designated areas and times for autograhps. You should not be a jerks as a fan and not respect that. I did not chase anyone for autographs or photos. Basically I just sat thru a few hours of those Seminars which IMO is the single best reason to go to this event.

But I can see how the players can be annoyed. I was annoyed just watching it myself. Adults especially. Let the guys go out about their business at what they were assigned to do. What happens if Kittle signs that one autograph? All hell breaks lose with everyone rushing up to him thinking it's a free for all autograph session.

You can't please everyone.

And for the record, I have bumpped into Kittle around the ballpark a few times and he's been one of the nicest guys employed by the Sox you will ever meet. I was holding a camera around my neck one time and having just shaked his hand he told my buddy to take a picture of the two of us without me even asking him. Very cool guy IMO.

I agree with your entire post.

I once watched Kittle speed into the lot near gate three, take out a few cones and jump out of his vehicle as if he were in an action movie.

WhiteSox5187
01-25-2010, 04:08 PM

This to me is so much cooler than any autograph could ever be. If I went to SoxFest I'd just ask if I could shake the players' hands, I'd wind up losing the autographs.

yazz32
01-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Gotta agree. I saw one lady nearly knock down a couple of people just run up to Teahen before his autograph session just to get a picture with him. I mean these guys deserve their private time too. Let's not turn into paparazzi!

WhiteSox5187
01-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Gotta agree. I saw one lady nearly knock down a couple of people just run up to Teahan before his autograph session just to get a picture with him. I mean these guys deserve their private time too. Let's not turn into paparazzi!

Well, if you show up to SoxFest for an autograph session and you're a player, I think you're kinda forfeiting your private time for the period of time you're behind that desk. If he was walking down the street and people were hustling over to him, I think that'd be odd.

For what it's worth though, I don't think players get recognized that often when they're in their street clothes. My cousin once said he saw AJ walking around downtown and went up to him and said "I'm sorry to bother you, but are you AJ Pierzynski?" and AJ said yes, and was polite as could be, no one else bothered to stop him. So, who knows...when I become a celebrity I'll write about it here on WSI.

ewokpelts
01-25-2010, 04:25 PM

That said, if I were to go to Soxfest, I think I'd shoot for just one autograph and/or just one photo, then go to all the Q&A sessions/presentations with my camera. Those seem to be the most fun.
some players have autograph contracts that prevent certain inscriptions, like buehrle and the perfect game.

some players or personalities, wont sign in the sweet spot of the ball. they feel that the fan will resell it.

Domeshot17
01-25-2010, 05:17 PM
I think another funny moment was Saturday at Carlos Quentin's signing some dumb girl thinking she knows everything just SCREAMS to the entire crowd "EVERYONE CARLOS QUENTIN WON'T SIGN SWEETSPOTS OF A BASEBALL, DON'T EVEN ASK" like they were best friends or something. 5 minutes later he signed the sweetspot for my wife.

ChiSoxGirl
01-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Gotta agree. I saw one lady nearly knock down a couple of people just run up to Teahan before his autograph session just to get a picture with him. I mean these guys deserve their private time too. Let's not turn into paparazzi!

I didn't see this, but I did see a bunch of people literally go running down an escalator as soon as they heard rumblings about John Danks being downstairs waiting for a taxi on Saturday night. I think this is stupid and don't agree with this kind of behavior at all. These people may be Sox players and celebrities in our eyes, but they're still human beings who, at 7p on the Saturday of SoxFest, are off the clock and owe none of us a single thing. If they agree to sign an autograph or take a picture "after hours," that's them being gracious.

As for me personally, I'll go up to a player and ask to take a picture with him, but only if I see he's accommodating other photo requests. Using this approach, I took pictures with Ozzie, Matt Thornton, and Freddy Garcia in the lobby bar on Friday and Saturday nights.

I want to add something about the photo sessions. I believe last year was the first time they did this and it worked very well. There were no problems having either a Sox employee, a friend, or another fan in line take your picture with your camera after the FanFoto person took theirs. However, this year was a totally different story. I was in line to have my picture taken with Alexei Ramirez on Friday night, while my friend was off getting an autograph, so I asked the Sox employee at the front of the line if she could take my picture with my camera. She snapped at me and said, "We're not allowed to touch your cameras!" I politely asked, "Since when?" and she got all defensive on me and came back with a snotty, "Those are just the rules." I took a little offense to the way I was treated, and asked her to not get defensive with me, but only asked because my friend had her picture taken with Bobby Jenks a few hours earlier at another photo booth and the Sox employee had no problem using her camera, and mentioned how it wasn't an issue last year. Did anyone else have this problem?

Personally, I take offense to the way some of the SoxFest employees talk down to the fans as though they're idiots or something. I recognize and understand that there are many people who've never been to SoxFest before, but many of them are intelligent enough to figure out how things work. I don't like how I'm spoken to like I just became a Sox fan a half hour ago. I know they're not aware of it, but I've been going to SoxFest as long as some of them have been on this earth and could teach some of them a thing or two about how things work at this event, so it bothers me when I'm treated like I'm some kind of dolt.

ChiSoxGirl
01-25-2010, 08:28 PM
I would also like to add how much I liked the "Inside the Sox" Twitter updates throughout the weekend. Because of these, I was able to go to their table on the fourth floor, say the magic word(s), and score a FREE Pierzynski bobblehead doll and a FREE Dye/Konerko 300th Homerun statue, neither of which I had! :bandance: Did anyone else benefit from them?

yazz32
01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I got a limited edition Mark Buehrle No Hitter Print from the Twitter.
They need to do Facebook too next year.

SephClone89
01-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Gotta agree. I saw one lady nearly knock down a couple of people just run up to Teahan

Who?:scratch:

yazz32
01-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Mark Teahen. Lack of sleep last couple days. I corrected my post for the spelling typo.

BV2005
01-25-2010, 10:30 PM
I went up to Ron Kittle on Saturday by his booth and he had no problem signing an 8 x 10 for me, we even joked around about how he looked in the picture. He said he took his glasses off to clean them and he heard someone call him name so he looked up really quick and a photographer took his picture.

Lance Johnson was signing a few autographs during his photo shoot, but the security guard told him to stop.

Matt Thornton was walking around signing autographs in the expo room on Sunday about 15 minutes before his signing, I grabbed an 8x10 from one of the booths and he signed it for me, its ironic that I had just went to get a wristband for him but they were already gone.

ewokpelts
01-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I would also like to add how much I liked the "Inside the Sox" Twitter updates throughout the weekend. Because of these, I was able to go to their table on the fourth floor, say the magic word(s), and score a FREE Pierzynski bobblehead doll and a FREE Dye/Konerko 300th Homerun statue, neither of which I had! :bandance: Did anyone else benefit from them?i got the friday and sunday freebies. even though i had them alrady as an STH

salty99
01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I didn't see this, but I did see a bunch of people literally go running down an escalator as soon as they heard rumblings about John Danks being downstairs waiting for a taxi on Saturday night. I think this is stupid and don't agree with this kind of behavior at all. These people may be Sox players and celebrities in our eyes, but they're still human beings who, at 7p on the Saturday of SoxFest, are off the clock and owe none of us a single thing. If they agree to sign an autograph or take a picture "after hours," that's them being gracious.

As for me personally, I'll go up to a player and ask to take a picture with him, but only if I see he's accommodating other photo requests. Using this approach, I took pictures with Ozzie, Matt Thornton, and Freddy Garcia in the lobby bar on Friday and Saturday nights.

I want to add something about the photo sessions. I believe last year was the first time they did this and it worked very well. There were no problems having either a Sox employee, a friend, or another fan in line take your picture with your camera after the FanFoto person took theirs. However, this year was a totally different story. I was in line to have my picture taken with Alexei Ramirez on Friday night, while my friend was off getting an autograph, so I asked the Sox employee at the front of the line if she could take my picture with my camera. She snapped at me and said, "We're not allowed to touch your cameras!" I politely asked, "Since when?" and she got all defensive on me and came back with a snotty, "Those are just the rules." I took a little offense to the way I was treated, and asked her to not get defensive with me, but only asked because my friend had her picture taken with Bobby Jenks a few hours earlier at another photo booth and the Sox employee had no problem using her camera, and mentioned how it wasn't an issue last year. Did anyone else have this problem?

I am kind of confused by something. So it's ok to bug a player if others are doing so, but not ok if you are the first one to ask? You can't have it both ways.

Yes the photo sessions were interesting. Some of them had wristbands, some didn't. Some guys signed autographs during or after them and others didn't. All the ones I went to though the workers were more than willing to take photos for me.

ChiSoxGirl
01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I am kind of confused by something. So it's ok to bug a player if others are doing so, but not ok if you are the first one to ask? You can't have it both ways.

Yes the photo sessions were interesting. Some of them had wristbands, some didn't. Some guys signed autographs during or after them and others didn't. All the ones I went to though the workers were more than willing to take photos for me.

Maybe I should have been clearer. If I see a player, I'm not the first to approach him. I'll stand back for several minutes and see how accommodating he's being to the people who DID approach him for a picture or autograph. If, after several minutes, I see he doesn't intend on going anywhere anytime soon and that he's happily taking pictures with other fans, then I'll squeeze my way in amongst the crowd and see if I can get a picture with him.

I think you were sitting in the lobby with us when Freddy came down to the bar. I waited quite awhile before I approached him for a picture. When it seemed like he was going to be there for awhile (he took off his coat) and wasn't turning anyone away, I asked him if we could take a picture.

Brian26
01-26-2010, 08:09 PM

I think she's saying she doesn't agree with running down an escalator to chase a guy down in the street who is waiting to leave the hotel. That could possibly be classified as "bugging a player".

On the otherhand, asking Freddy for an autograph while he's making a spectable of himself and clearly enjoying everyone's company inside the hotel lobby probably isn't "bugging" him.

tqXRtchhDsk

ChiSoxGirl
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I think she's saying she doesn't agree with running down an escalator to chase a guy down in the street who is waiting to leave the hotel. That could possibly be classified as "bugging a player".

On the otherhand, asking Freddy for an autograph while he's making a spectable of himself and clearly enjoying everyone's company inside the hotel lobby probably isn't "bugging" him.

tqXRtchhDsk

You're right. I also explained in further detail what I meant in my previous post.

This YouTube video is classic! I'm totally kicking myself for leaving the lobby bar for Potter's right before all of this happened!

salty99
01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=Brian26;2419340]I think she's saying she doesn't agree with running down an escalator to chase a guy down in the street who is waiting to leave the hotel. That could possibly be classified as "bugging a player".

[QUOTE]

You missed my point but that's ok it's not worth debating.

chisoxfanatic
01-26-2010, 09:18 PM
tqXRtchhDsk
:rolling:

That video is hilarious!

Nelfox02
01-26-2010, 09:57 PM
I think another funny moment was Saturday at Carlos Quentin's signing some dumb girl thinking she knows everything just SCREAMS to the entire crowd "EVERYONE CARLOS QUENTIN WON'T SIGN SWEETSPOTS OF A BASEBALL, DON'T EVEN ASK" like they were best friends or something. 5 minutes later he signed the sweetspot for my wife.

Anyone else have any luck getting carlos to sweet spot a ball at soxfest? my friend and I were in the same line, he asked Carlos to sweet spot and he would not do it

BV2005
01-27-2010, 01:01 AM
tqXRtchhDsk

I was waiting for one of these videos to show up on you tube. On Sunday a bunch of people were showing videos they took of Freddy's drunkin rant.

soxfan17
01-27-2010, 11:26 AM
does anyone know the dates of Soxfest for 2011?

Dirty30
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
does anyone know the dates of Soxfest for 2011?

Jan. 21-23

#1swisher
01-27-2010, 05:26 PM
tqXRtchhDsk

Thanks B26, :cool:very cool vid...Freddys' value just went up after watching this.

ChiSoxGirl
01-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Anyone else have any luck getting carlos to sweet spot a ball at soxfest? my friend and I were in the same line, he asked Carlos to sweet spot and he would not do it

He sweet-spotted a baseball for me at SoxFest 2009....

salty99
01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
He sweet-spotted a baseball for me at SoxFest 2009....

that's because you got him before he signed his contract with LoJo Sports. His contract runs for one more year so who knows if he'll be doing that next year or not.

ChiSoxGirl
01-27-2010, 08:32 PM
that's because you got him before he signed his contract with LoJo Sports. His contract runs for one more year so who knows if he'll be doing that next year or not.

Oh. I wasn't sure when he signed that contract.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Oh. I wasn't sure when he signed that contract.

Wouldn't do it for me in '09. He signed the contract in between his two sessions, lol. Some got it in the sweet spot, others didn't.

Domeshot17
01-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Weird, hes on the sweet spot of her ball. I will check next time I am up to see if he personalized it, maybe that did it, I don't know, she didn't ask him to sign it there.

Brian26
01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
I follow this guy's blog. He's a Twins fan, but he talks quite a bit about collecting autographs and memorabilia. He's at the Twins' version of Soxfest this year, and it sounds like it is a complete trainwreck with lots of players no-showing and long lines that you have to pay for individually.

http://droidtrader.blogspot.com/

salty99
01-31-2010, 11:24 PM
I follow this guy's blog. He's a Twins fan, but he talks quite a bit about collecting autographs and memorabilia. He's at the Twins' version of Soxfest this year, and it sounds like it is a complete trainwreck with lots of players no-showing and long lines that you have to pay for individually.

http://droidtrader.blogspot.com/

That guy must not be as big of a fan as he thinks because most of those no-shows were known ahead of time. Killebrew and Punto had surgery so of course they weren't going to be there..geez.

oeo
02-01-2010, 01:56 AM
That guy must not be as big of a fan as he thinks because most of those no-shows were known ahead of time. Killebrew and Punto had surgery so of course they weren't going to be there..geez.

Who wants Punto's autograph anyway? :scratch:

salty99
02-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Who wants Punto's autograph anyway? :scratch:

The same people who line up for Jayson Nix, Mark Kotsay, etc.