PDA

View Full Version : Lets not forget...Pitching isnt the problem!

SoxxoS
06-13-2002, 04:08 PM
We the best ERA in the AL for the month of June. We have won 4 games. That's why anyone who says pitching is 90% of the game is a moron. You have to hit. Everyone is talking...trade Weaver, get this pitcher, get that pitcher, Pitching is NOT THE PROBLEM. We could win a lot of games with our staff right now, assuming we hit the freaking ball. I would love another starter, but not anyone that is going to cost us Borchard or Crede. We dont need Jeff Weaver. We need our offense to hit the ball. We have a 2. something ERA this month and have won what- 4 games? Another pitcher would be great, and we probably will need a 5th starter eventually, but we dont need Weaver. This is assuming Ritchie comes around by the end of July, if not, then we are going to need a pitcher; Because Buerhle/Garland/Wright is going to be hard to match up against all the other playoff teams top 3 starters. I would love to move Durham/Clee and a top propect eventually for a pitcher, b/c I would consider getting rid of CLee and Durham is addition by subtraction.

Cheryl
06-13-2002, 04:13 PM
Am I a moron if I think pitching and defense together are more important than hitting?

Am I a moron for liking games like last night's better than a 13-2 blowout?

If so, than I'm a moron. Thanks for making that clear .

Procol Harum
06-13-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
We the best ERA in the AL for the month of June. We have won 4 games. That's why anyone who says pitching is 90% of the game is a moron. You have to hit.

Hmmmm, I see a classic baseball conundrum here of the chicken & egg variety--did we lose because our hitting was so poor, or because our opponents' pitching was so good? Given the various factors (bum pitchers w/ few credentials looking like Cy Young against us, consistent nature of Sox hitting woes, etc., etc.) in this instance, I'd probably agree with you Soxxos.

But in the long run, I think if you wanna win champeenships you'd better have plenty of pitching. Although the ratio traditionally cited might be way off--perhaps pitching is only 50% of the game, rather than 90%--with fielding and hitting coming in for a quarter's worth of responsibility. Let's get the WSI guys to sponsor a multi-million study to exactly determine the ratio mathematically....West is out in Silicon Valley so he must have the money :)

FarmerAndy
06-13-2002, 05:41 PM
I'll admit that Sox pitching has far exceded my expectations, but if you think that this pitching staff could get the team through round one of the playoffs.....forgive me if I don't agree with you.

Kilroy
06-13-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I'll admit that Sox pitching has far exceded my expectations, but if you think that this pitching staff could get the team through round one of the playoffs.....forgive me if I don't agree with you.

Looks like we disagree, because if the staff pitches like it has been, no better, no worse, and the team hits like they are capable of hitting on their normal days, not their best days, they can get thru the first round, and take a game or two in the next.

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 06:04 PM
We the best ERA in the AL for the month of June. We have won 4 games. That's why anyone who says pitching is 90% of the game is a moron. You have to hit. Everyone is talking...trade Weaver, get this pitcher, get that pitcher, Pitching is NOT THE PROBLEM. We could win a lot of games with our staff right now, assuming we hit the freaking ball. I would love another starter, but not anyone that is going to cost us Borchard or Crede. We dont need Jeff Weaver. We need our offense to hit the ball. We have a 2. something ERA this month and have won what- 4 games? Another pitcher would be great, and we probably will need a 5th starter eventually, but we dont need Weaver. This is assuming Ritchie comes around by the end of July, if not, then we are going to need a pitcher; Because Buerhle/Garland/Wright is going to be hard to match up against all the other playoff teams top 3 starters. I would love to move Durham/Clee and a top propect eventually for a pitcher, b/c I would consider getting rid of CLee and Durham is addition by subtraction. so if you have a great pen vs a good htting team........... who is going to win.............. lets see.............. what did arz do last yr?

pitching does make up a great portion of what is needed to win and a good to great pitching will help.......

btw wrong choice of words about the moron part......... pal

hold2dibber
06-13-2002, 06:06 PM
But don't forget that usually, pitching in the playoffs is much better than normal and our hitters have not shown, in their last playoff experience, that they're up to the challenge of hitting in such pressure packed situations (also reflected in our inability to come back once we're down this year). We may be able to win this division without another starter, but the only way I can see a 1st round victory would be to add another quality starter, or if Garland and Wright make Buehrle-esque improvements and become the top notch starters they've shown the potential to be.

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
But don't forget that usually, pitching in the playoffs is much better than normal and our hitters have not shown, in their last playoff experience, that they're up to the challenge of hitting in such pressure packed situations (also reflected in our inability to come back once we're down this year). We may be able to win this division without another starter, but the only way I can see a 1st round victory would be to add another quality starter, or if Garland and Wright make Buehrle-esque improvements and become the top notch starters they've shown the potential to be. i think garland wright and ginter have the stuff to do it this yr and yessss.. :D: if ritchie can come around.......... our pitching staff looks mighty goooodddd....... :smile:

cornball
06-13-2002, 06:12 PM
All very good points. One thing is for sure, you dont win championships without pitching.....period.

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by cornball
All very good points. One thing is for sure, you dont win championships without pitching.....period. spoken with wisdom beyond your yrs with few words................ :)

SoxxoS
06-13-2002, 06:24 PM
<<<Am I a moron if I think pitching and defense together are more important than hitting?

If so, than I'm a moron. Thanks for making that clear .>>>

Whoa Cheryl, relax. Who said anything about the comparison between pitching duel and hitting slugfests? I also didn't say anything about pitching and defense being more important than hitting. I said anyone who thinks pitching is 90% of the game is a moron. That is a quote by some people in the baseball world I have heard from time to time. Please read my post over and dont respond in a way like I called you a moron directly. If you want to miss-interpret my words that way and call yourself that, that is fine.

Longdistance...I dont mean to flame but it seems to me like you are using the word "pal" like Johnny Badass. Just say "wrong choice using the word "moron"" Once again, I am using the theory that 90% of winning baseball games is the pitching aspect, and saying that anyone who believes that is "incorrect" Is that better...pal?

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 06:28 PM
<<<Am I a moron if I think pitching and defense together are more important than hitting?

If so, than I'm a moron. Thanks for making that clear .>>>

Whoa Cheryl, relax. Who said anything about the comparison between pitching duel and hitting slugfests? I also didn't say anything about pitching and defense being more important than hitting. I said anyone who thinks pitching is 90% of the game is a moron. That is a quote by some people in the baseball world I have heard from time to time. Please read my post over and dont respond in a way like I called you a moron directly. If you want to miss-interpret my words that way and call yourself that, that is fine.

Longdistance...I dont mean to flame but it seems to me like you are using the word "pal" like Johnny Badass. Just say "wrong choice using the word "moron"" Once again, I am using the theory that 90% of winning baseball games is the pitching aspect, and saying that anyone who believes that is "incorrect" Is that better...pal? johnny badass......... that is funny bozo......... how is that........

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
johnny badass......... that is funny bozo......... how is that........ after several hrs of letting off steam and rereading your respond........ i may have been quick to respond in anger........ but i didn't mean it the way you took it......... or i would have bold it and cap it......... you may have been quick to respond to me in the same way.......... if i wanted to snapped or cuss, believe me i would and i prob would've been reprimanded from the moderators......... so i try not to piss them off. :D:

but johnny badass?????? that is still too funny

ok

Dadawg_77
06-13-2002, 11:08 PM
Pitching and Defence maybe about 60% to 55% of the game in modern baseball. You can't win with no hitting and you can't win with crapy pitching. You need to have both. The Diamondbacks just happen to have the top two pitchers in baseball right now on their staff, that is a major factor in a 7 game series. You have to face the top two pitchers four times.

SoxxoS
06-13-2002, 11:37 PM
No hard feelings longdistance

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 11:40 PM
No hard feelings longdistance truce.......